Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Summer Internships 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 4points

any word from beauchamps

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Does anyone here know if the date/time of your interview is an indication of how interested a firm is in you? Like for example is it a disadvantage having an interview at like 5.30/6 compared to earlier in the day or having your second round interview over a week after a group interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if it reflects quite badly if you accept an offer, then subsequently turn it down because you got an offer from another firm that you prefer?

A close friend of the family is a senior partner in a firm in Dublin City Centre. When I was interning there this exact situation came up and somebody cancelled on them. They were very annoyed. As far as they are concerned, you have committed to them. Did quite a lot of damage to the person who recommended them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Does anyone here know if the date/time of your interview is an indication of how interested a firm is in you? Like for example is it a disadvantage having an interview at like 5.30/6 compared to earlier in the day or having your second round interview over a week after a group interview?

No, I imagine that would be completely arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Elemonator wrote: »
    A close friend of the family is a senior partner in a firm in Dublin City Centre. When I was interning there this exact situation came up and somebody cancelled on them. They were very annoyed. As far as they are concerned, you have committed to them. Did quite a lot of damage to the person who recommended them too.

People should be getting interviews on merit, not on recommendations. Summer internship stage is rank with nepotism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

People should be getting interviews on merit, not on recommendations. Summer internship stage is rank with nepotism.

That's not true at all. I have no legal connections whatsoever and I've received offers from most of the top 5. I didn't even have a lot of experience -- never mind any legal experience -- before I applied, but I have a 1.1 from Trinity.

In fact, the top firms are far more meritocratic than any small or local firms are. The process is far more calculated and they'll eliminate applicants based on grades, etc. At a few of the top 5 they completely remove the name and gender before they start the process of cutting down the numbers. At the end, it's mostly the senior solicitors and partners that take a look and decide who they want to interview.

It's a sophisticated process but they end up with the best 40/50 applicants out of circa~800 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

That's not true at all. I have no legal connections whatsoever and I've received offers from most of the top 5. I didn't even have a lot of experience -- never mind any legal experience -- before I applied, but I have a 1.1 from Trinity.

I often see people make this excuse about how the big firms are apparently 'full of nepotism' to justify why they couldn't get offers. It's completely false.

In fact, the top firms are far more meritocratic than any small or local firms are. The process is far more calculated and they'll eliminate applicants based on grades, etc. At a few of the top 5 they completely remove the name and gender before they start the process of cutting down the numbers. At the end, it's mostly the senior solicitors and partners that take a look and decide who they want to interview.

It's a sophisticated process but they end up with the best 40/50 applicants out of circa~800 or so.

For the record I got two top 5 training contracts, I’m familiar with the process. The fact some (probably most) places are awarded on merit doesn’t mean there isnt some nepotism going on with respect to others. I’m only speaking from experience and what I’ve been told by people that have directly benefitted from what I’ve described. Congratulations on your internships all the same, you deserve them with those grades.

My bad. I came across as rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

anyone know if there’s much precedent for leaving one of the top 5 internships a week early? dla piper made me an offer but it starts last week of june which overlaps with another internship which i’ve been offered but haven’t accepted yet

anyone know if there’s much precedent for leaving one of the top 5 internships a week early? dla piper made me an offer but it starts last week of june which overlaps with another internship which i’ve been offered but haven’t accepted yet

A girl I did a top 5 internship with last year left ours a week early to do a London internship so it does happen!

• Advertisement

A girl I did a top 5 internship with last year left ours a week early to do a London internship so it does happen!

if this was mccanns i think i'm friends with that person lol

Has any firms gotten back about internships being cancelled/postponed due to coronavirus?

Has any firms gotten back about internships being cancelled/postponed due to coronavirus?

No but at this rate I'm not sure I want to head to London as early as June for DLA Piper :/

Whether or not it does have an impact probably depends entirely on how the next 2-3 months play out, I'd say even they haven't a clue

No but at this rate I'm not sure I want to head to London as early as June for DLA Piper :/

Whether or not it does have an impact probably depends entirely on how the next 2-3 months play out, I'd say even they haven't a clue

Will be devastated if they end up cancelling it. worked too hard for this :(

we're also heading into a global recession - that's going to hit the firms. expect reduced number of TC's and greater competition I'd imagine.

Will be devastated if they end up cancelling it. worked too hard for this :(

we're also heading into a global recession - that's going to hit the firms. expect reduced number of TC's and greater competition I'd imagine.

I’ve heard tell that some firms (example i saw was McCanns, where i quite inconveniently have a TC) rescinded offers made pre-crash when it all went down in 2008, will be interesting to see if anything like that happens now

I’ve heard tell that some firms (example i saw was McCanns, where i quite inconveniently have a TC) rescinded offers made pre-crash when it all went down in 2008, will be interesting to see if anything like that happens now

Terrifying more like. What a nightmare. Although to be fair the general expectation is that the global economy will rebound quickly from COVID recession.

cox offers out

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lawstudent2020

Are they calling?

Are they calling?

I got an email

Was it general or specific can I ask?

• Advertisement

Was it general or specific can I ask?

Mine was definitely specific to me

Just wondering have many people not heard anything one way or another from AC yet? My friend got a PFO earlier but I haven’t heard anything one way or another?

Just wondering have many people not heard anything one way or another from AC yet? My friend got a PFO earlier but I haven’t heard anything one way or another?

one of my friends is the same so maybe they haven’t announced yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Law97

I haven't heard anything from AC either way

AC called with my offer this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Did anybody hear anything from RDJ yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Apparently some firms are emailing about potential cancellations? is this true?

Which ones? Seems a bit early for that

I’ve also heard this- bit of a questionable source but apparently a friend of a friend received an email from one of the big 6 saying they may rescind some offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

yeah that's what i had heard as well.

Advertisement