Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Summer Internships 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

I’ve also heard this- bit of a questionable source but apparently a friend of a friend received an email from one of the big 6 saying they may rescind some offers

Surely they would postpone the offers rather than rescind them??? Only one UK firm has decided so far against summer vac schemes but I'm pretty sure they're just postponing them.

Has any firm gotten back about summer internships?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Apparently ALG said might be rescinded.

Apparently ALG said might be rescinded.

Do you know what they said exactly? They have an internship during August so it seems very early to make those decisions, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 XyzLawyer123

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Do you know what they said exactly? They have an internship during August so it seems very early to make those decisions, no?

You can expect most of the large internships will be cancelled this summer. The firms have enough on their plate at the moment keeping afloat and you just have to call things.

• Advertisement

You can expect most of the large internships will be cancelled this summer. The firms have enough on their plate at the moment keeping afloat and you just have to call things.

Firms need trainees. And some of the large firms draw trainees almost exclusively from their summer intern cohorts. I don't think that argument makes sense.

Firms need trainees. And some of the large firms draw trainees almost exclusively from their summer intern cohorts. I don't think that argument makes sense.

... and 5 years ago firms drew trainees 80% from milk round interviews so they will do so again this year.

... and 5 years ago firms drew trainees 80% from milk round interviews so they will do so again this year.

Firms like MHC don't even conduct TC applications anymore, all sourced from interns. It's quite clear that the firms prefer the internship to TC pipeline as it makes more sense. The more likely scenario than an outright cancellation is probably a postponement to late summer or even a winter scheme as UK firms do. Applications for summer internships tends to be higher than TC contracts I think. There's resources put into finding those interns.

Firms like MHC don't even conduct TC applications anymore, all sourced from interns. It's quite clear that the firms prefer the internship to TC pipeline as it makes more sense. The more likely scenario than an outright cancellation is probably a postponement to late summer or even a winter scheme as UK firms do. Applications for summer internships tends to be higher than TC contracts I think. There's resources put into finding those interns.

Your positivity is admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Yes I imagine any June/July internship will be cancelled and I wouldn't be surprised if a large proportion of August ones were too. Shame as I was looking forward to the experience/cash but I guess everybody is in the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Yeah, whatever about the internships/traineeships, I actually heard from a friend that the Law Society and The King's Inn are cancelling the law profession completely. No more barristers or solicitors, even after the covid-19 crisis ends!

Has anyone reached out to their firms yet about the summer internship? Will the TC interviews at the end be potentially cancelled too? Will firms consider postponing to Winter like many UK firms? So many questions

Has anyone reached out to their firms yet about the summer internship? Will the TC interviews at the end be potentially cancelled too? Will firms consider postponing to Winter like many UK firms? So many questions

You will all be informed in due course. Law firms have a lot going on at the moment keeping afloat. Phoning up is only making a nuisance of yourself during a very serious period.

It isn’t lost on firms that people have questions and need to be gotten back to in due course but, with respect, they’ll try to sort out paying salaries to their own staff and trying to manage return of existing trainees from Blackhall first.

Anybody heard from any firms?

cox called cancelling internship!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lawstudent2020

Oh no! Was it for June/August?

Oh no! Was it for June/August?

I was on the August intake but i think they'd already cancelled June? i got a offered a TC in place of the internship tho - mixed emotions as i really would have loved to have got some corporate experience but can't complain i guess

Oh wow! that's fab, congrats!! :) I'm still waiting to hear from them and I was due in for August too

Thank you! I received a call this morning but a friend of mine only got one just there so best of luck!!

Congrats on the offer! Arthur Cox gives most of their interns TC so not surprising. I wonder will other firms follow that approach too? I've heard WF cancel but they're setting up TC interviews later on in the year.

Anybody hear anything back from McCann FitzGerald?

• Advertisement

Hey! Is anyone else waiting to hear back from AC? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fe1sarefun

Has anyone heard from Matheson?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

my internship got cancelled also - do people know if traineeship interviews will still go ahead in Autumn??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

It'd be a quick rebound if there was a vaccine within the next 2/3 months. Unfortunately if the economy reopens, and another wave of infections hit - likely to see more lockdown periods. Regardless of how much stimulus is injected from the ECB or the Federal Reserve in the U.S, the economic downfall will be catastrophic, the worst hasn't hit yet. Even multi-national corporations are feeling it, with many cancelling or postponing expansion plans until at least 2022. In Ireland over a third of business have done just that - so even the big 5 will see a steep decline in revenue over the next year.

Best thing to do if you have a contract rescinded (like me) is to do FE1's regardless, and do any courses that will improve your employability once there is a return to 'normal' as it was before the outbreak.

It'd be a quick rebound if there was a vaccine within the next 2/3 months. Unfortunately if the economy reopens, and another wave of infections hit - likely to see more lockdown periods. Regardless of how much stimulus is injected from the ECB or the Federal Reserve in the U.S, the economic downfall will be catastrophic, the worst hasn't hit yet. Even multi-national corporations are feeling it, with many cancelling or postponing expansion plans until at least 2022. In Ireland over a third of business have done just that - so even the big 5 will see a steep decline in revenue over the next year.

Best thing to do if you have a contract rescinded (like me) is to do FE1's regardless, and do any courses that will improve your employability once there is a return to 'normal' as it was before the outbreak.

What firm rescinded your TC if you don't mind? Generally, is it a top 5? I haven't heard that any of the big firms are rescinding TC's, just delaying them.

The estimation is that big firms growth expectation will be lowered from low single digits to about even or low negatives. As well, a lot of the big firms have good restructuring and dispute practices which will be very busy over the coming year.

Most of the people in this thread are still students, and will start a TC around 2022-2023, so hopefully things will be back and roaring again.

McCann FitzGerald is converting their internship to a virtual format with a TC interview at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Has anyone been contacted by MHC about their internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fe1sarefun

Matheson have shortened their internship to two weeks and are doing it virtually

DLA Piper changed to a one-week virtual internship sorta thing. Anyone know what the suss is if you're currently claiming the emergency payment? will i have to remove myself from that and then reapply a week later? seems a bit ungainly

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if the firms will still be paying for virtual internships? Probably not as much, no? Then again the money for the internships is probably a drop in the bucket for the top firms.

Advertisement