Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I want to know where Romero got the bases for his A1up's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Arcade1up have released some nice cabs over the last couple of months, NBA Jam, TMNT, Star Wars etc. Doesn't look like any of them will be available in Ireland anytime soon? We're still on the first wave it seems.

There was a big sell off of the cabinets in USA past few weeks - $50 link
    they were snapped up of course - but one to keep an eye out here when the next series arrives in EU.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ozmo wrote: »
    they were snapped up of course - but one to keep an eye out here when the next series arrives in EU.

But there has been feck all from them since the first run, or have some of the newer models turned up in Irish retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »

I want to know where Romero got the bases for his A1up's?

Was just watching yesterday's 9 O Clock news and finally got the above post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

ozmo wrote: »

Yeah I text my brother in law in Indiana about it. He drove to get the Final Fight one but was sold out when he got it there. Prices all went back up then when I was checking his local Walmart's

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out how these are profitable from a business point of view.

First they come out crazy expensive, nobody seems to buy them.

They're then dropped to clearance prices and sell out.

1upgames then come out with new models...?

Money laundering, it has to be :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out how these are profitable from a business point of view.

First they come out crazy expensive, nobody seems to buy them.

They're then dropped to clearance prices and sell out.

1upgames then come out with new models...?

Money laundering, it has to be :pac:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4747994f03d423fcf73bd5437208fee21ce4699ecf&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hey,

Has anyone bought a machine from this guy?

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/arcade/15089823?notification=70a6902108f8f3df6115884e8ac26847-1590352142&utm_campaign=AdWatchCommented&utm_medium=link&utm_source=email

The reviews are very positive. May be in the market myself for a full size machine and would love some input from those in the know.

Thank you :)

everlast75 wrote: »
    hey,

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/arcade/15089823?notification=70a6902108f8f3df6115884e8ac26847-1590352142&utm_campaign=AdWatchCommented&utm_medium=link&utm_source=email

The reviews are very positive. May be in the market myself for a full size machine and would love some input from those in the know.

pure dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

everlast75 wrote: »
    hey,

The reviews on something like this you would expect be positive. The kind of people who would drop this kind of money on something you could reasonably make yourself for under 300 quid are highly unlikely to be aware of the fact they're getting rode. As long as it works and the finish is up to a good standard (easiest part for any cabinet maker or carpenter) they will be happy.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah complete and utter newbie mistake buying something like that. Unfortunately a lot of people fall for it.

An actual arcade machine with a proper, authentic working arcade CRT would be half that price. (and that would be an expensive one)

1,200 euro for a wooden cabinet with an LCD is outrageous.

pure dirt
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    The reviews on something like this you would expect be positive. The kind of people who would drop this kind of money on something you could reasonably make yourself for under 300 quid are highly unlikely to be aware of the fact they're getting rode. As long as it works and the finish is up to a good standard (easiest part for any cabinet maker or carpenter) they will be happy.

Wow - okay. Delighted I asked then so!

Is there anyone that the posters here would recommend, or posts which indicate a "how to" approach?

Thanks again

Master of the Universe

Mitchomagic on here was always great for arcade machines, not sure what his current status is with selling though.

If you're interested in the Japanese side of arcade gaming, and Japanese 'candy cabinets' (sit down ones, tend to be made of plastic or/and metal) then there's a guy in the Netherlands called Ronnie who imports them. Costs about 200 euro to have one shipped here.

Can get in touch with him via his website.

http://www.rklok.nl/

Just to put pricing in perspective versus that adverts.ie link, the arcade machine on that page is a Sega Astro City.

So a 100% authentic arcade machine made by Sega which has sat in a Japanese arcade for it's life, with a massive 29 inch CRT, would cost approx 700-800 euro. You're talking about 1000 euro all in delivered to your door. Still cheaper than that adverts link!

I've bought four of them over the last 10 years and they're fantastic. Much smaller and neater for a home arcade machine IMO - Tend to have bigger monitors for their size too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What is it with these overpriced MAME machines and poorly scaled artwork? Is it some sort of badge of honour? How is it so consistently a thing?

Also, do these things ever actually sell? The odd time I see one up on Adverts, someone from here has already parachuted down and gone '**** off'

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    What is it with these overpriced MAME machines and poorly scaled artwork? Is it some sort of badge of honour? How is it so consistently a thing?

Also, do these things ever actually sell? The odd time I see one up on Adverts, someone from here has already parachuted down and gone '**** off'

To the uninitiated, they look fine (for uninitiated, see naive).

I would be delighted to pick a proper one up for a decent price and I knew that asking ye would be the way to go.

I don't know... not one Id buy - I'd rather mod a 1up or make myself from scratch - the artwork especially is not my cup of tea.
    - but considering the materials and time that went into it - it doesnt seem so bad a deal to me if size and cost is not an issue.

These are different thing to a real cabinet suggested here (that are industrial size and weight and only play one game) and different to a shorter bar top plastic Japanese one - that I don't think looks arcade enough at all and again is only one game without modding it - plus they are well used and need restoring.

Those decals printed alone could be up to 150 euros - 100 euros for the screen. 100 for Buttons, joysticks, speakers, amps, power psu.
    50-100 for possibly rpi+ memory, but I think more likely is some sort of micro-pc. 100 for MDF + paint 20+ for t-molding and
    a good few days work - cutting, screwing gluing, pc configuration, wiring etc. Not to mention the routers, jigsaws, soldering iron etc.
    you would need if you were to make yourself.

So as a bit of furniture - that needs no work and plays 8000 games out of the box - I don't think hes that far off price wise considering
    he wants to be paid for the work too - remember its all new materials - not maker stuff we would have ourselves around the house.

Personally though not my thing but i wouldn't stop anyone else buying one - he has a lot of happy customers.

“Roll it back”

Master of the Universe

Real arcade machines don't 'just play one game' though. There are hundreds of solutions to have thousands of games on them.

Sure I only use original hardware myself and both my cabs still have multiple games in them :D

This arguement is very similar to the one we see from lads who spend hundreds building a bartop and then try to sell them for far more than they're worth.

Sometimes things aren't worth the value of the sum of their parts. 1,200 euro for something like this is insanity.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer designed the ridiculously expensive car and bankrupted his brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

pure dirt

The bluntness made me laugh :)

I think for arcade games you have to make a decision on whether to go all in or not.

Make sure you know what you want. Don't buy a cabinet with a lcd for a grand, just get a cheapo bartop and be done with it.

Likewise, if you really DO want an original, get an original.

An analogy could be made with cars. Get a Ferrari with a lada engine, pay through the nose but not have what you want. Or, buy a lada that's cheap and cheerful and does the job. Or, buy a full Ferrari.

Don't half arse it, in other words, and you'll be grand :)

I think to the uninitiated these can still seem like a great deal so I'm not surprised plenty people are still trying it going by Adverts / Done Deal.

You have the nostalgia factor, everyone who grew up in the 80s dreamed of having an arcade machine in their home, even if it only had 1 game. Then they take a glance and see NES, SNES and Mega Drives going for similar enough prices to they did new.

So they're seeing something brand new, custom made that won't look tatty in the house, that can be whatever arcade game you want, plus all those console games as well? BARGAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

2ndcoming wrote: »

Right, I'd be happy to put this to the test. Any "how to.." guides and parts recommendation?

I'm happy to document a build here.

Go on, help a middle-aged man go back to his youth:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there another batch of games? No sign of Star Wars or NBA Jam for Europe?

I have the perfect little corner for one of these in the corner of the game room in my new house. Would love the X-Men Vs Street Fighter one if it's real, or Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've two of these sitting collecting dust since they were assembled, might move them on. SF2 Champion Edition & Rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The X-Men vs Street Fighter deal is almost close to interesting given those the pre-MvC Capcom/Marvel games rarely get their due in terms of re-releases.

I've always been into the big buck hunter games but would have to see the game play.
    Of all the modern arcade games it always had the sharpest gameplay IMO.
    Esspecally compared to the other muck Rall Trills pumped out.

rofno1 wrote: »
    Right, I'd be happy to put this to the test. Any "how to.." guides and parts recommendation?
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    ... No sign of Star Wars....

I like this build - but wouldn't have the space :)
    Its basically a recased 1Up, with a few extra lights and amps - said it cost him about $450 + the cost of the starwars 1Up - looks cool though...

Great 1Up can do light guns now - I would very much like one that does those rail games - zombie shooters etc - just because its the kind of Arcade game that is not so easily emulated in standard mame setups with the light gun difficulties with modern monitors.

“Roll it back”

I remember playing the sit down version in several places but can't remember where
    most likely in Bray but can't think which Dublin city arcade had it as well
    The last time was at that expo in the Ambassador

Skerries wrote: »
    I remember playing the sit down version in several places but can't remember where
    most likely in Bray but can't think which Dublin city arcade had it as well
    The last time was at that expo in the Ambassador

Pretty sure Quirkey's had the sit down Star Wars at some point

Hey folks,

This popped up for sale.

Could it be easily modified to play a lot more games, or would it just be best to leave it be?

Thanks in advance

http://www.adverts.ie/20779829

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Smyths will have it in stock in August for €399.99
    Actually in stock now in a good few stores

Three games in one it's up to preorder now in the Dublin area

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/retro-gaming/arcade1up-street-fighter-ii-cabinet-including-riser/p/174309

Advertisement