Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade 1Ups replica cabs thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Skerries wrote: »
    where's the MK one?

If you click on the second Best buy link and go to the USA listings it pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

reviews of the arcade1up accessories

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

As of today I've completed my Arcade1Up Jamma Mod.

I'm just going to give a little recap of the process as it might help others who are considering this, in some areas it seems very simple and in others more complicated. I started out by buying a Pandora's Box JAMMA Kit on EBay. If I were to advise anyone in future I would actually say maybe don't go with the kit. You'll end up having to replace things anyway.

It's very handy in the sense that you get a JAMMA Harness, PB6 PCB, a fan, speakers, joysticks and a power supply but the cheap LED buttons and micro-switches were not an easy connect at all. So I ended up having to buy a Happ style set from Amazon. These were much easier to deal with. And even saying that, I'm going to swap out the Zippy Joysticks for Sanwa Micro-switch Joysticks down the road as I just don't find getting diagonals on the Zippy easy, even after removing the restrictor gates (fine for the four way classics but not ideal for fighting games - a pity as the Zippy's mounting hole naturally fit into the 1Up). So if anyone was thinking of doing this I'd actually recommend to get everything separately, not as a kit. I only went for the kit because it was very convenient price-wise. There's also the matter of ending up with spares - I decided not to use the amp or the second fan.

In terms of modding the cabinet itself to JAMMA, it's pretty straightforward. You basically just gut everything and replace. Retro Ralph and FourCo OpPop have very good videos on the process of modding the 1Up to a JAMMA so even as a first timer, following those videos helps big time and I understood everything. I actually would have preferred to stick with the stock parts but the 1Up's use proprietary micro-switches that aren't compatible with the standard arcade style ones. There are little things in the process that seem simple but are timely e.g. getting the stock joysticks off with the amount of superglue that is used, replacing the stock speaker (again, would have preferred to keep it but the stock + and - connectors were soldered to the point where it would have complicated things).

I also opted to have a new hole drilled for the new speaker grill. Didn't have to do that but I liked the aesthetics of it. I also put a coin mech into the front panel. Not completely necessary for a home mod but I like to challenge myself to be able to 1CC games, not having the coin mech for me just makes it less "arcade". ;)

I anticipated the Chinese JAMMA harness would have been an issue over the subtraction of ground wires, but this wasn't the case. In fact, the seller on Ebay had the Tekken 2 PCB at €90 with the kick buttons soldered into the spare JAMMA pins so no need for kick harness. The only part that really frustrated me was the trouble over that faulty GBS video converter board I mentioned in the other thread.

But all's well that ends well. Must just put in the Scanline Generator once I have an extra VGA cable then the better Joysticks down the road and then sorted, sorted. And I've kind of caught the bug for JAMMA boards so if anyone has anything that they're finished with, give a yell (but not straight away, I need to save up again first) :P 😉

Here's the finished product. Side note: I was very happy to see Heihachi's face today (from the attract video). Scared five year old me but for twenty-eight year old me it meant mission accomplished.

TK2.jpg

PB6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

The street fighter edition is £225 on amazon at the minute.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcade1UP-Street-Fighter-II-Challengers/dp/B07K2RJCXS/

Not quite the prior game stop deal but with the sterling rate at the minute it’s getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

One the Arcade1UP modding facebook group a guy managed to get Arcade1up cabs including mortal kombat II and final fight i think for $30 each at his local walmart! What a deal!

• Advertisement

I still have to get around to fixing mine
    I got the free plastic overlay but have to drill out holes for the extra buttons I have
    Also I still have to determine if it is the RaspPi or the adapter board that is causing me to have no sound

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Played the Pacman and Streetfighter cabs in Smyths , My 1st time seeing them , jesus they feel so cheap nowhere near there valuation at all

Has anyone gotten the PCB from one to work with a CRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Played the Pacman and Streetfighter cabs in Smyths , My 1st time seeing them , jesus they feel so cheap nowhere near there valuation at all

Agreed, I've two of them (got them in the GameStop offer at Christmas). They're nowhere NEAR worth rrp. The absolute max is €199, buy ideally, they'd be €149

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Bit of another stupid modding question here:

Is there a way of physically rotating the horizontal stock monitor to a vertical orientation? I'm interested in perhaps picking up the 60-in-1 multi or similar for the vertical based games and I don't have the room for a second cabinet.

Or is there a setting on those multiboards that can orient it with the horizontal monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

KevW24601 wrote: »
    Is there a way of physically rotating the horizontal stock monitor to a vertical orientation? I'm interested in perhaps picking up the 60-in-1 multi or similar for the vertical based games and I don't have the room for a second cabinet.

You'd need a new bezel and monitor to do that I'd say since the monitor comes attached to the bezel, its possibly glued on.
    KevW24601 wrote: »
    Or is there a setting on those multiboards that can orient it with the horizontal monitor?

Well MAME by default will orientate games vertically even on a horiontal monitor, with black bars at the side so I presume it's the same for the 60-in-1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Doge wrote: »
    You'd need a new bezel and monitor to do that I'd say since the monitor comes attached to the bezel, its possibly glued on.

Well MAME by default will orientate games vertically even on a horiontal monitor, with black bars at the side so I presume it's the same for the 60-in-1?

The 60-in-1 runs vertically at full screen, so you do need to rotate the screen from horizontal.
    Can't remember if this is configurable with the dip switches or not, been years since I own one.

3 in 1 Wallcade

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This companies products seem to have disappeared from our shores completely.
    What gives, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This companies products seem to have disappeared from our shores completely.
    What gives, I wonder?

I'd say poor sales. I thought as much when GameStop dumped them last year. Nobody is shelling out the RRP.

Mine is gathering dust in my shed, I never got around to modding it.

Skerries wrote: »
    3 in 1 Wallcade

You could mount that on the back of a toilet door in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

The stools are good if you have a stand up cab. I bought a couple from Smith's last month. Space invaders, pacman and streetfighter 2.

The young lad said to me about the picture on the pacman one "how is pacman eating the ghosts when they are not the blue colour". You know what, he's right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Rush to the blood to the head and I took the amazon deals with 95 quid off, 255 sterling with free delivery....is that a good deal? Still have time to cancel https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcade1UP-Street-Fighter-II-Challengers/dp/B07K2RJCXS/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=arcade+1up&qid=1574444481&s=kids&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-2
    Street Fighter edition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As it happens, I was in Smyths today, in Swords, and saw a pair of the Space Invaders cabinets behind the counter.
    Sadly, they are still full price :(
    €399 for the cab, so sad!

€297 on Amazon delivered for space Invaders only 2 left, They don't have the reisers I think.

• Advertisement

€200 would be my limit for one of those.
    In fairness, I'd probably end up modding it with the vert jamma board.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    €200 would be my limit for one of those.
    In fairness, I'd probably end up modding it with the vert jamma board.

Tbh I wanted to by the capcom but the reviews were putting me off. I still want the capcom....

Hold my beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

I have a mint TMNT cabinet that I might have to sell shortly

Approx 6 weeks old - mint condition.

it's got a hole in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

sorry bad joke

Polo mints, the mint with the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Arcade1up have released some nice cabs over the last couple of months, NBA Jam, TMNT, Star Wars etc. Doesn't look like any of them will be available in Ireland anytime soon? We're still on the first wave it seems.

• Advertisement

GameStop seem to be a vendor of choice in the US, perhaps we might see some of the newer releases from there.
    Smyth's seemed to hold some of the first wave stock, but that seems to be almost all gone, and I think everyone who wanted one now has one.
    The new Pacman anniversary cab is nice, the Star Wars cab looks fantastic though.

Advertisement