Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭moby2101

Had dinner in Hamptons last night, really busy after the Munster game....food was excellent, we eat here quite a bit and it's always good, they only criticism I would have is they need to change up the menu a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dropped into Finnegan's earlier this evening for a bit of food. It's had hit and miss reviews in the last few years but I must say their traditional Sunday roast was excellent, big portions and the service there was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Went to Khinga Thai for takeaway during the week and it was lovely, really enjoyed it.
    On a par with the best days of Aroi and Kaya.
    As others have said it does seem to have a little more heat in its offering, although that said.
    I had singapore noodles and they were milder than I am used to, but very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Went to CoqBull tonight, i'm definitely not a food snob and i have to say distinctly average, food fairly bland, wouldn't recommend to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

cronin_j wrote: »
    Went to CoqBull tonight, i'm definitely not a food snob and i have to say distinctly average, food fairly bland, wouldn't recommend to be honest.

Eddie Rockets is nicer burgers at least juicy and not crazy thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

cronin_j wrote: »

Went last week and was very happy with it!! Really glad there's somewhere like this in Limerick now.

Aroi have increased their prices which is a bit of a bummer. That said, it's still pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I believe coqbull in Cork is more renowned for it's chicken, I'm looking forward to trying it out soon.

I had a takeaway from Clover and it was only alright, not of the standard of the other thai places (except Gourmet) and no real Japanese to speak of except some sushi, the kids enjoyed the fried tofu nigiri.

Might try chicken in Coqbull if i went again.there sides menu wasnt great was hoping for variety.But burger not a hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Any recommendations for a late night cafe/coffee shop type place in Limerick? I work nights and find that most of them seem to be closed by 5pm. Would be great to find somewhere open until maybe 8 or 9pm for a coffee and sandwich type lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

h3000 wrote: »
    Just got a take away from Lana this evening and it was lovely. Very similar in taste to Kaya, which is a good thing. The place was mobbed too.

Got a take away there on Friday evening and I wasn't impressed. Myself and my wife both thought it was a long way short of Aroi. The flavours just weren't there and it was very greasy. Will give it another go before I give up on it but the first impression wasn't great.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a late night cafe/coffee shop type place in Limerick? I work nights and find that most of them seem to be closed by 5pm. Would be great to find somewhere open until maybe 8 or 9pm for a coffee and sandwich type lunch.
    Doubt any where is?Starbucks in the station only place i can think of mayve costa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Same as previous poster, Starbucks would be the only place i could think of. The strand bar could possibly be an option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Got a take away there on Friday evening and I wasn't impressed. Myself and my wife both thought it was a long way short of Aroi. The flavours just weren't there and it was very greasy. Will give it another go before I give up on it but the first impression wasn't great.

Whatever about flavoursome (I taught it was) ours was definitely not greasy in any way at all. Maybe you just got a bad one.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Tried Lana over the weekend. nice place. Food wasn't amazing but nice all the same, service really good and the place itself is lovely. Aroi still tops it for me though, seeing as its more or less the same price. Has anyone tried that Canteen place beside O'Briens at the Parkway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Thanks folks, went for a coffee in Costa across from McDonalds in the city centre earlier. Manager told me they're open until 7pm most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Anybody know what the Uber working hours will be? If there's a significant contingent in there in the evenings it might make one of the local cafés consider opening late to cater for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

zulutango wrote: »
    Anybody know what the Uber working hours will be? If there's a significant contingent in there in the evenings it might make one of the local cafés consider opening late to cater for them.

Starbucks is going in below uber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Starbucks is going in below uber

Any idea when it is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Visited Papaz on Denmark st twice recently after a bit of a hiatus. Always a good sign when you have to wait for a table I think.

The food is beautiful really. The amazing chicken is, well, amazing and the pulled pork is pretty good too. Also a word for their moist biscuit cake. Mmm. Only about €30 for 2 huge pitta sandwich things, 2 slices of cake and 2 coffees which is great value considering the quality. They also open Sundays now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya Papaz is excellent. If you go in there at lunch time on a Saturday the place is packed with a lot of people waiting for tables.

Amazing Chicken is top class.
    Pizzas are great.
    Goats cheese salad good.
    Sweet and crispy chicken is beautiful.

Have been told the meatballs are great also but yet to try them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Any idea when it is opening?

For out taking place atm,
    Staff mamagment training taking place this week :)
    3 weeks I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bennyl10 wrote: »
    For out taking place atm,
    Staff mamagment training taking place this week :)
    3 weeks I think :)

Woohoo! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

zulutango wrote: »

7pm is the latest finish at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

So my parents had an "interesting" experience in Bella Italia last night.

They met a friend in there and had the early bird offer. When they went to pay they asked if they could split the bill.

No problem... but they were told the early bird price would no longer apply if they did.

Talk about ripping people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

source wrote: »
    So my parents had an "interesting" experience in Bella Italia last night.

They met a friend in there and had the early bird offer. When they went to pay they asked if they could split the bill.

No problem... but they were told the early bird price would no longer apply if they did.

Talk about ripping people off.

I don't get it, what do you mean by 'splitting the bill', is it that they wanted separate bills??
    Seems like a very strange situation, surely no manager would have stood over that.

I don't get it, what do you mean by 'splitting the bill', is it that they wanted separate bills??
    Seems like a very strange situation, surely no manager would have stood over that.

Yeah my parents wanted to pay their portion of the bill and their friend his portion. Usually a very common thing to happen in a restaurant or cafe. However something to be penalised for in Bella Italia it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Im lost, say the bill is 60 @ 20/early birld, your folks may have had a bottle of vino @ 20, they owe 60+tip and friend 20+tip.

Why wasn't the bill settled this way, even if its got to do with an expenses receipt i still cant find a reason why a restaurant wouldent issue 2.

The story just doesn't make sense. Not saying i dont believe you, i just cant get my head around it. :confused:

oleras wrote: »
    Im lost, say the bill is 60 @ 20/early birld, your folks may have had a bottle of vino @ 20, they owe 60+tip and friend 20+tip.

Why wasn't the bill settled this way, even if its got to do with an expenses receipt i still cant find a reason why a restaurant wouldent issue 2.

The story just doesn't make sense. Not saying i dont believe you, i just cant get my head around it. :confused:

When they went to pay ,they were told that if they were splitting the bill they would have to pay the prices from the a la carte menu, and that the early bird price wouldn't apply.

They wound up paying €60 for a meal which should have been under €40 on the set menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

source wrote: »
    When they went to pay ,they were told that if they were splitting the bill they would have to pay the prices from the a la carte menu, and that the early bird price wouldn't apply.

They wound up paying €60 for a meal which should have been under €40 on the set menu.

Was the bill 3 x early bird ?

I still cant understand what you mean by splitting the bill. Regardless of who pays what, the restaurant is still ending up with the same amount.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Was the bill 3 x early bird ?

I still cant understand what you mean by splitting the bill. Regardless of who pays what, the restaurant is still ending up with the same amount.

It's really quite simple.

3 people went for dinner.
    A couple and a man.
    The couple wanted to pay for the food they ate and the man wanted to pay for the food he ate.
    When they went to pay, the staff member told them that because of this they could no longer avail of the lower rate and would have to pay full menu prices.
    The total meal for the 3 people should have been €60.
    Due to the withdrawl of the offer at the point of payment the couple wound up paying €60 for just their portion of the meal and the man paid close to €30 for his portion.

An evening out which should have cost €60 for the 3 meals wound up costing €90 because the restaurant would not let the parties involved in the transaction pay separately for the food they ate and still honour the set price menu.

Advertisement