Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BDO Lake World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

She didn't have a single dart at a double the whole match. Had three darts from 70 in the last leg and still didn't get a shot at a double (or bull) - that actually takes a bit of doing to be that bad.

Then she turned around in the post match interview and moaned about the prize money. Adams was nearly worse for agreeing with her afterwards but maybe he felt it would just be too controversial to tell the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

crowd interactions on walk on are cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭boomdocker

the whole feckin' thing is cringe, but ya gotta watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

4pm Ross 'the boss' Montgomery kicks off his campaign against S. Baker. Dough an unknown quantity I'm sure Ross will rise to the challenge and batter him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

She complains about prize money then in post match interview. She should have being paying us to watch that .

She makes a fair point about the prize money, there should be no difference at all infact. Simple solution, abolish the women's world championship and just have 1 overall world championship, everybody is welcome to try and qualify.

Gets rid of the pay gap and gives everybody an equal chance, happy days.

• Advertisement

Turner made the point last night that it was only her hobby and she couldn't play full time as the money just wasn't there. Fair enough but how many in the men's side of the BDO make a living from it and play full time?

Martin Adams won the Italian open in November. A 1000 quid. Take away the cost of getting there and a couple of nights in Italy and you're not left with much change. Our good friend Ross Montgomery played the Italian masters the same weekend. He was out in the round of 32 for the princely reward of 75€.

That kind of money doesn't pay the bills, it only makes them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I honestly have no idea how the BDO players can afford to play the tour, travelling all over Europe for such terrible prize money. A lot of them must be making a loss due to the costs involved. Many must see it purely as a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That 1000 pound is before tax too. So after that, flights, accommodation, food an drink he may only made 2 or 300 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sponsors perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Afternoon sessions can be watched online here:

https://www.questod.co.uk/live/quest

Evenings are Eurosport only from Mon-Sat this week.

• Advertisement

How did Parletti get on lads?

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea how the BDO players can afford to play the tour, travelling all over Europe for such terrible prize money. A lot of them must be making a loss due to the costs involved. Many must see it purely as a hobby.

i think its just a drinkin session / holiday for them
    its not a money making trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Officer999

How did Parletti get on lads?

Beaten 3-1

scores of 55 30 26 60 41 95 41 58 and 43 to get us going in the women's game on just now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The camera angle when it switches to the 19's is wrecking my head.

Awful standard this game.

Paula Jacklin has a towel hanging from her waist. So why does she lick her finger before she throws? Check the wind maybe?
    Anyway enough giving out about the women. I'm only getting nervous because the boss is on next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

She licks her finger before she throws

and then doesnt use any part of that finger in the throw itself

Thank fook that's over. Whoever wins it's because they're slightly less crap than the other one.

(I hope there's no feminists looking in here)

For a fella with a throw like someone who never throws a dart, Baker doesn't play badly.

Looks like Paul Weller playing George McFly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Kingp35 wrote: »

I'd say anyone playing the full tour is sponsored.

I'd say anyone playing the full tour is sponsored.

I doubt they get much more than free gear from sponsors, they're only on tv once a year on obscure channel

She complains about prize money then in post match interview. She should have being paying us to watch that .

Bobby George made a good comment about this.

He said that for the most part on the BDO Open circuit the players entry fees make up the prize fund. In 2018 for instance the British Open had over 4000 paid male entrants. The women's version had less than 200 entrants.

So obviously the male prize fund is going to be larger than the womens.

If she wants more money then maybe she should encourage more women to play the game.

Alternatively she could switch to the unisex PDC and try and get a Tour Card with her 57 average.

Ross getting Bossed here

Theres actually more prize money available to women than men when you consider they can play both the World Championships. They are simply not good enough. Put the ladies Championship on its on and see how many tv stations an sponsors are interested. None I'd imagine.

I'm probably coming across as very sexist, I'm not. Like watching them but they should shut up about prize money. They don't deserve it or earn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Facts of January - the days start getting brighter, Christmas is over, Ross Montgomery goes out of the darts at an early stage

Utter shíte there from Ross and that's my banker of the championship gone at the first hurdle.
    Scored badly, his finishing, well, there was no finishing.

Ross let it slip there, said the atmosphere was down to the BDO giving away free tickets!

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Utter shíte there from Ross and that's my banker of the championship gone at the first hurdle.
    Scored badly, his finishing, well, there was no finishing.

Ross let it slip there, said the atmosphere was down to the BDO giving away free tickets!

Merge it with the PDC and let's forget this farce

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Bar Durrant none of these would be capable of getting near top 16 in the PDC. If the BDO ceases to exist the vast majority of these semi- pro BDO players will cease to exist in the darting circles

• Advertisement

millhouse wrote: »
    Bar Durrant none of these would be capable of getting near top 16 in the PDC. If the BDO ceases to exist the vast majority of these semi- pro BDO players will cease to exist in the darting circles

95 percent would not get a tour card
    Nevermind top 16!

These women are muck. Sherrock has nowt to fear

How do the womens seedings work I wonder ? Winstanley has done nothing of note all year. Has done nothing of note in this tournament in previous years and shes number 1 seed ??

Cracking match between McKinstry and Landman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Cracking match between McKinstry and Landman.

Enjoyed that one

Cameron takes the first set with over 100 average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Cameron takes the first set with over 100 average

Not a bad player Cameron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Robson has lost his head altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Big robbo loves the 1s and 5s

Cameron is a tidy player

Robson is a perennial pants pooper

• Advertisement

Cameron averaged just shy of 90 for a finish, felt like he played better than that. Robson was terrible though. Cameron plays mckinstry in next round, will look forward to that one

Anyone think that Robson was drunk during that match?

Mason on commentary seemed to be emphasing the risk of 'over practicing' that comes with playing last up in the evening.

Over practicing is pub league code for being pissed. Lol.

Anyone think that Robson was drunk during that match?

Mason on commentary seemed to be emphasing the risk of 'over practicing' that comes with playing last up in the evening.

Over practicing is pub league code for being pissed. Lol.

I saw the first two legs, Robson was really bad. He should be in the women's tournament.

Also thought the same re Robson being drunk, crazy that a so-called top sportsman could allow it to happen. Even if he's used to playing with a few drinks in him, surely stone cold sober would have been better than that?

Did they interview him after?

Look up Martin Atkins getting a massage from Trina Gulliver from a few years back for more BDO "over-practicing"!

Rikand wrote: »
    How do the womens seedings work I wonder ? Winstanley has done nothing of note all year. Has done nothing of note in this tournament in previous years and shes number 1 seed ??

Similar to the mens , whoever has the most time / money / commitment to travel all around Europe gets highest up the rankings.

It's a one year Order of Merit which doesn't include the previous world championships as far as I know.

Tarzann wrote: »
    Similar to the mens , whoever has the most time / money / commitment to travel all around Europe gets highest up the rankings.

It's a one year Order of Merit which doesn't include the previous world championships as far as I know.

So its based on number of events played rather than the results achieved in those events :)

Very amateurish....

There was a photo going around twitter the other day (of Ashton and Suzuki?) with Robson in the background sucking on a pint and atin' a pie!

Rikand wrote: »
    So its based on number of events played rather than the results achieved in those events :)

Very amateurish....

She had decent enough results in fairness. This is her record for the year.

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/PlayerDetails.aspx?playerKey=10337

Tarzann wrote: »
    Also thought the same re Robson being drunk, crazy that a so-called top sportsman could allow it to happen. Even if he's used to playing with a few drinks in him, surely stone cold sober would have been better than that?

Did they interview him after?

Look up Martin Atkins getting a massage from Trina Gulliver from a few years back for more BDO "over-practicing"!

gary robson is not a top sports man - hes a bang average player in the bdo who just there for the piss up
    he wouldnt get near a tour card in q school
    been on last means he was prob on it all day

the worst thing bar the standard of score in the bdo , is the terrible counting when at a finish

• Advertisement
Advertisement