Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

so for the next week and into the unknown it's looking terrible again?

Not looking "terrible" to me but that's a very subjective thing. It's looking like a very typical Summer week for Ireland with low pressure out to the northwest meaning sunshine, showers and average temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I woke up early this morning to see this red rainbow. Never saw one before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so for the next week and into the unknown it's looking terrible again?

not terrible, but not good either. This entire summer can be more summed up as disappointing. Most of the long range forecasts were pointing towards a warmer and more settled second half of July and decent August. This has dissolved into a few very short lived warm and dry spells not lasting more than 2 to 3 days at a time. We are entering a longer, cooler and more unsettled period now with perhaps up to 2 weeks of seasonal Irish summer Atlantic weather with average temperatures.

A few days ago things looked promising from the 4th August, this now looks pushed back to the 8th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

Yes well we can at least look forward to usual warm settled weather we tend to get in September and October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Well to be honest,down here in the south east if the summer continues as is,it will have been a great summer
    Max of almost 24c again
    Countless fine days at this stage

Apart from strong weather front days (of which there have been very few) the Atlantic influence has been weak or non existent by the time it crosses over to east Wicklow and east Wexford
    That's been a theme for the fourth summer in a row now down our way
    It's an amazing island for contrasts

No complaints from me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I woke up early this morning to see this red rainbow. Never saw one before.

Great shot, it must have been very early when the sun was just coming up over the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It was taken at 5.47 am. I'm an early riser :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The LP system to our NW with associated fronts passing over the country tonight which is going to be influencing our weather into the weekend. Met Eireann keeping an eye on potential heavy rain in Muster on Fri.

wHzyTnQ.jpg?1

tempresult_vbw6.gif

The very very welcome rain has just arrived in Arklow
    Should have cleared by 9 or 10am for minimum nuisance
    No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Very warm humid night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 AndiG

South east, Wexford has had a great summer so far. Not disappointing at all. Was delighted to see the rain forecast to give the grass a good watering as I'm putting the hose to it every evening. Beaches are full every day & the local businesses are doing great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Felt like gale force winds against me on my cycle to work today in Dublin. Got absolutely soaked too, then it was lovely and sunny. Normal service resumes.

Just hit 18c in strong sunshine and a land breeze in Arklow
    Very pleasant
    Ground is already nearly fully dry after last nights rain
    No complaints

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last night was very warm, warmer than it is now, still feeling mild today and sun is shining at times. Despite the unsettled situation it should stay relatively mild, even warm at times over the next week here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

AndiG wrote: »
    South east, Wexford has had a great summer so far. Not disappointing at all. Was delighted to see the rain forecast to give the grass a good watering as I'm putting the hose to it every evening. Beaches are full every day & the local businesses are doing great!

Yeah - work commitments mean I operate between North Mayo and the East coast alot of the time and the difference in the weather between both places since the start of June has been astonishing!! All down to the persistant SW airflow I guess. Many's a day its been struggling into the mid teens - with drizzle on the West coast while the East coast experienced temps in the 20's and wall to wall sunshine at the same time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

AndiG wrote: »

Yes I totally agree, that small corner in the SE of Wexford is spoilt most summers. Its always noticeable how the soil is much dustier down there. Even when the rest of the country is cloudy the sun always seems to come out down there.

The drive home is always the same, up the N11 when you go past Gorey its back into the cloud and muck whilst leaving the sunshine in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I thought it has been quite good in the west this year, though Im not as far west as some in Athenry.
    The winds havent been as strong as the last two summers and they seem to be warmer sourced too.

There has also been a good few easterly winds this summer which tend to be warm, I dont think we had any easterlies in 2015.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yes I totally agree, that small corner in the SE of Wexford is spoilt most summers. Its always noticeable how the soil is much dustier down there. Even when the rest of the country is cloudy the sun always seems to come out down there.

The drive home is always the same, up the N11 when you go past Gorey its back into the cloud and muck whilst leaving the sunshine in Wexford.

Cloud and muck when you go past Gorey lol lol
    I'm sure you're being deliberately funny there :D when It's well documented on this thread that the favoured summery conditions extend chiefly up the east of Wexford to Bray,Cabinteely and often Sandyford :)

I thought it has been quite good in the west this year, though Im not as far west as some in Athenry.
    The winds havent been as strong as the last two summers and they seem to be warmer sourced too.

There has also been a good few easterly winds this summer which tend to be warm, I dont think we had any easterlies in 2015.

I don't recall any easterlies in 2015 either but aren't you the guy who said I was being too harsh on June 2016?

Frankly, I much prefer Summer 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'd consider Athenry more midlands than West - the weather on the West coast during April and May was great due to Easterlies, but we've paid for that since the start of June with near wall to wall SWesterlies:(

• Advertisement

I might have said that about 2016. Cant remember fully though!

But 2015 is the coldest summer I remember. This made it feel worse than the wet summers of 2007-2012.

This summer looks to be turning out as good as 2014 in my opinion since we have had a few hot days with plenty of reasonably decent days mixed in.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I'd consider Athenry more midlands than West - the weather on the West coast during April and May was great due to Easterlies, but we've paid for that since the start of June with near wall to wall SWesterlies:(

I was in achill there early last week, and the weather was warm & sunny but I think it was a northerly funnily enough.
    A steady south easterly would be great though for the far west, like in July 2013.

I was in achill there early last week, and the weather was warm & sunny but I think it was a northerly funnily enough.
    A steady south easterly would be great though for the far west, like in July 2013.

Aye funnily enough the opposite of that a summer northwesterly can deliver the south east its warmest conditions
    It's the maximum land track effect

I think your being harsh on june 2016. There were 2 very warm weeks at the start of it.
    Maybe the June heat was due to an east wind though, so the west was warmer?

^ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100730904

2011 was the coldest Summer of the 21st century so far, did you forget about that? ;) Or was it the fact that 2011 was drier than 2015 that made you think that?

I was out of Ireland for a lot of summer 2011. So maybe that was it. But I felt 2015 had a cool wind, maybe 2011 wasnt as windy.

Aye funnily enough the opposite of that a summer northwesterly can deliver the south east its warmest conditions
    It's the maximum land track effect

Id have thought the coolest air pool in summer would tend to be from the North or North west, so even with a long land fetch temps in the south east couldnt get that high from that direction?

South westerlies originating from Spain might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Thunder, lightning and very heavy rain in Galway city. I swear I saw hailstones too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd consider Athenry more midlands than West - :(

Just a few miles outside Galway City and from Galway Bay? I can't agree.

New Moon

Thunder, lightning and very heavy rain in Galway city. I swear I saw hailstones too!

I saw those hailstones briefly too! The temperature dropped here quickly too. Another flash there now but seems to be finishing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'd consider Athenry more midlands than West - :(

Just a few miles outside Galway City and from Galway Bay? I can't agree.
    Neither can I and I live there !

Advertisement