Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

leahyl wrote: »
    Yaaay Autumn has arrived :D *waits for backlash

I think we've skipped autumn and gone straight to winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Vile morning so far here ,v windy and wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Beautiful summer morning in west mayo,calm,sunshine and birds chirping.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beautiful structure to that depression/low! http://en.sat24.com/en

A very windy morning here in Dublin 16. Lots of leaves, twigs and branches off trees...even saw a flagpole (with flag attached) blown over in a local school! Seems to be much windier here than is being experienced/recorded at the other Dublin stations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not bad here in Tralee, windy overnight with only a few mm of rain but awoke to near calm and good spells of Sunshine. Feeling very mild , bigger clouds about now and getting bits of rain in an increasing wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,172 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was a lovely morning in east galway when I hit out for Dublin
    Disgusting morning here
    Damp cold and dark
    So basically what we have had for the last month. So imagine what all of JULY felt like
    Average me arse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very wind out here in West Clare, so much so that everything is bone dry (except for a few locations in the grass). Quite warm out too, weather station tell me 19.1c! Sun just broke out for roughly 10 seconds :P

Met Eireann have issued 2 more weather warnings this morning, and I'm affected by both :D:D
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    West to Southwest winds 50 to 65 km/hr gusts 80 or 90 km/hr in exposed areas. Winds veering West to Northwest overnight.

Issued:Friday 19 August 2016 10:00
    Valid:Friday 19 August 2016 14:00 to Saturday 20 August 2016 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Clare and Kerry
    Showers or longer spell of rain with some thundery downpours likely to give some spot flooding especially in coastal areas. Totals 30 to 50 mm expected.

Issued:Friday 19 August 2016 10:00
    Valid:Friday 19 August 2016 18:00 to Saturday 20 August 2016 18:00

Hoping for some thunder!

Vile start but gorgeous sunny here now breezy
    Serious accident near the M11 Arklow South exit in heavy rain
    A jeep left the northbound lane flew down the embankment and into the field
    The Air Sea Rescue helicopter took someone away from the jeep hooked to a lot of pipes
    At other side minutes later on the southbound carriageway another crash

Road was dry for weeks so the flood of rain made it treacherous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Despite the very unsettled weather it has reached 21c in Kildare. Heavy Showers being triggered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So Tuesday at this stage looks like a very wet day for here in the east, it looks very similar to the 24th July 2012 setup and I can tell you, this day alone if it's gonna be like that would make you think Summer 2016 is crap. Not looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    So Tuesday at this stage looks like a very wet day for here in the east, it looks very similar to the 24th July 2012 setup and I can tell you, this day alone if it's gonna be like that would make you think Summer 2016 is crap. Not looking forward to that.

between next tuesday and the past few days, its making August the poorest month of this summer here.

Gonzo wrote: »
    between next tuesday and the past few days, its making August the poorest month of this summer here.

August has been quite similar to June here, probably not as poor, the second half of June or from the 10th onwards, it was very poor here besides the minimum temperatures.

Out of all months of Summer 2015 and 2016, here's how I rank them from best to worst, at least here in the east (or most pleasant to poorest):

1. June 2015
    2. July 2016
    3. August 2016
    4. June 2016
    5. August 2015
    6. July 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I think your being harsh on june 2016. There were 2 very warm weeks at the start of it.
    Maybe the June heat was due to an east wind though, so the west was warmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Kinsale gusting 46 knots, tis indeed windy!

I think your being harsh on june 2016. There were 2 very warm weeks at the start of it.

That spell was less pleasant here where I am compared to in the west. May ended on a brilliant note with endless sunshine and warmth here from the 28th-31st. Then when I woke up on June 1st, it was very cloudy and cool and it was like that until the early afternoon when it began to feel more like Summer. June 2nd and 3rd had early morning cloud but not as long as the 1st. 4th was similar to the 1st. 5th-7th had thunderstorms and very cloudy but warm conditions. 8th had warm, dry and fairly cloudy conditions. So as you can see, that spell of weather wasn't as good here as it was in the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The west was up to 8C warmer than the east coast due to the easterly wind during that warm spell. Got to about 21C in my location during the late May/early June warm spell, but many coastal parts didn't get much past 16 or 17C.

Today has changed for the better, after the misery of this morning, it's close to 22C here and pleasant spells of sunshine.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The west was up to 8C warmer than the east coast due to the easterly wind during that warm spell. Got to about 21C in my location during the late May/early June warm spell, but many coastal parts didn't get much past 16 or 17C.

Today has changed for the better, after the misery of this morning, it's close to 22C here and pleasant spells of sunshine.

Got to 24c on June 6th and in return, I got a thunderstorm and plenty of lightning strikes.

And yeah today isn't as bad as I expected it to be, in fact, not bad at all.

So today I've recorded another day with 20c or more. Here is how some Irish stations have fared in the quantity of days with 20c or more during this Summer so far.

Kinsale gusting 46 knots, tis indeed windy!

A howling wind here in Arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

We must be very close to the 30th anniversary of hurricane Charlie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very dark in Galway now with strong wind

Yes Thursday next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

986.8 hPa Steady here near Tralee, close to the center now. Expecting the winds to increase here in the next few hours as the depression tracks up the country bringing the winds more W'ly. Should have the strongest winds overnight/ early mornng here in Kerry.

7ZuW8fh.gif?1

2kx7Ju6.png?1

Quite a horrendous Squal in Arklow right now
    Very windy heavy prolonged shower that's filled in entire sky in all directions
    Heavy lashing driving rain going across the fields in sheets,like something out of January

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sounds like October weather in August all year round !
    FYP.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

Still at it,over an hour,not reflecting too well on met.ie radar at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Analysis from the UK Met:

394808.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Kinsale gusting 53 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Absolutely lashing in West Clare, rain is fairly vertical too!

• Advertisement

Still bone dry since this morning at Grange.

Advertisement