Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish oral!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Lads, for the poetry reading bit, is a book provided for you or do you bring your own in?

Also, if you bring your own in, will it be okay that I have most of the more difficult words spelled out phonetically along the side?
    Yes, you bring your own and its perfectly acceptable to have the words spelt phonetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Any one have any last minute advice or tips for oral irish? I feel well prepared but would love any advice any could offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

We listened to the sampke tape in school today and basically we were told its worth spending the time on the sraith pictures and the reading of the poetry
    :p

What kind of questions did people get asked?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 breddiek

i did my irish oral today and it was going okay (considering i'm doing pass level) when about 4 or 5 minutes into the conversation i was told that that was 15 minutes and it was over. at first i was happy thinking it flew but when i got back to the waiting room i was told i had been gone for 11 minutes, not only that i was standing outside the actually oral room for about 2 minutes.

i wouldnt mind finishing a minute or two early but i was in there for nine or ten when its supposed to be 15. aswell i was still talking away when she said this and the person before was in there for almost 20 minutes so i'm starting to think i was screwed over a bit. anything i can do here?

she only asked me on my family and area when i had alot more prepeared. i think she either got mixed up with the time or decided to make time up on me

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

The only thing I can think to advise is to tell the principal and ask to hear the recording and time it. Thats really weird to cut you off and end it, my examiner let me finish whatever I was saying then told me that was it. Sorry to hear that, hope it all works out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My grinds teacher is one of the head women, she said 4 mins on sraith is enough. Just discuss what is it in the picture. Also, they won't get into detail in the conversation as there is only 6 mins allocated for that. She seems to be making out it is far easier. Also, filiocht marks there for the taking, just speak slowly and clearly. And don't worry about what version you read as they were told they're all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I wouldn't worry, she had probably given you the marks. Also, you can't hear the recording, only time that gets heard again is when you get it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aisling.pw

Hi.

Can someone please tell me if you can
    (a) DEFINATELY bring in your own copy of the poetry into the oral, and
    (b) if it is okay to write down the pronounciations above to words to help you along?

I am an external student so I have no one to ask, and my oral is in two days!

Also - do ye think that if you bring up the future tense yourself (eg, if i was taoiseach i would....), then they wouldn't bother asking you a question with it and consider it covered???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Was first in this morning, Examiner was absolutely sound, was quite nervous but she left me speak about what I pleased and gave me every chance to do well. From speaking to my class mates I think this was a common factor. To all, be calm and speak, they want you to do well as much as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aisling.pw

Thanks so much!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

If you are going on too long the examiner is encouraged to get you to move onto the next picture. Never once have I heard anything about you not getting the ten marks for the questions if you go over the time. We were told at the conference we HAD to ask the questions and get them asked so don't worry about going over the time. Try to get it all done, 5/6 lines per picture is a rough estimate but it's the general impression we get that determines the mark, not merely the amount of sentences. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Have years of experience examining behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Would anyone advise bringing the modh coinniolach in early? If I am asked about school I might try and bring in the changes I would make if I was the principal.
    But if I bring it in early,(presuming I am asked about school) would the examiner tend to ask more difficult questions early??

Any tell-tale signs on how you might have got on? I know this differ from one examiner to the next? Thought I heard 'go hiontach' somewhere after the tape was flicked off, however the ecstasy of surviving had long since taken over! Oh and are Examiners encouraged to mark against students who ramble off point, ie. she begin the exam by saying I live in such a village, I spoke about how's there's not much except a GAA club and led onto a full blown dissection of the organisation?

I advise all my students to say something simple in the modh c if they're aiming for higher points. That said it wasn't mentioned once at the conference this year...usually is.
    There are no marks set aside for it so don't worry on that front. My weaker students manage a few sentences on if they were principal or minister for education or sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

David1994 wrote: »
    Would anyone advise bringing the modh coinniolach in early? If I am asked about school I might try and bring in the changes I would make if I was the principal.
    But if I bring it in early,(presuming I am asked about school) would the examiner tend to ask more difficult questions early??

Yes they will ask more difficult questions but if you set the standard the examiner will follow.You are showing them that you are able for the more difficult stuff. I'm going to use modh coinniolach as soon as possible anyway and after that I'll see what happens.

Keep in mind we're really stuck for time this year, you've 6-8 minutes for the gnáthcaint section, get in there with the good stuff asap. And good luck all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elizie

Patchy~ wrote: »
    ALWAYS: Is méanar do (person), e.g. "Ta athas uirthi. Is méanar di!" It means (person) is lucky, I use it in every picture sequence <3

edit: can someone please tell me what the story is with the poems? We're allowed to bring our own versions in I know, but apparently they've to be printed?? I wrote them out, my printer doesnt work, am I allowed to do that? :/
    http://www.gaelport.com/cuireadhchuncainte

This is a good little video that explains it pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

If you are going on too long the examiner is encouraged to get you to move onto the next picture. Never once have I heard anything about you not getting the ten marks for the questions if you go over the time. We were told at the conference we HAD to ask the questions and get them asked so don't worry about going over the time. Try to get it all done, 5/6 lines per picture is a rough estimate but it's the general impression we get that determines the mark, not merely the amount of sentences. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Have years of experience examining behind me.

I'm hoping to talk about myself and my family first, then at the end say my parents give me pocket money when I help around the house. Then hopefully they'll ask me about pocket money and then at the end I'll say my life would be much easier if I won the lotto! Then hopefully they'll ask me what would I do if I won the lotto and I've a big spiel prepared about normal stuff I'd do, then that I'd donate loads of money to charities that try to prevent global warming, then talk about global warming and its effects etc.
    If this actually works, would you advise me against it? Bearing in mind I'm doing higher level but I'm not that great a student, I usually get C1s or C2s in my mock orals. I'm kind of afraid that if I mention that they'll ask me about loads of different stuff, but that's the only abstract topic I know. I know a general phrase for "to be honest I'm not interested in the subject but it's a very serious problem that must be eradicated blah blah" that could fit coiriúlacht/an cúlú eacnamaíochta etc. I'm just afraid that the questions that follow will be really hard, but I want to make some sort of a good impression as I'm relying on my oral to get a C1/B3 overall!
    Thanks, and sorry for the novel! :P

Sounds like a plan to me, just keep talking, say as much as you can and use as many phrases and different verbs. It'll fly once you get in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

533873_10150944403721038_773551037_12988351_998313857_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Man oh man I cant wait to join you guys, woulda torn mine up in maths like everyone else but my poor unfortunate friend needs it for his oral, haw :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

How do you pronounce the word "comharthaí"? It's really bugging me. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 victoria.eliza

finality wrote: »
    How do you pronounce the word "comharthaí"? It's really bugging me. :P

"Core-hee" is the best way I can think of to describe the pronunciation. Hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I hope I get the full marks in reading poetry :D I wonder does stumbling slightly on one or two words impede your grade..??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

David1994 wrote: »
    I hope I get the full marks in reading poetry :D I wonder does stumbling slightly on one or two words impede your grade..??

I'd say the standard of the poetry reading will be very high and they'll be looking for excuses to deduct one or two marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I find it so crazy to believe that the beannú and the reading of the poetry is worth like 6/7% of our entire grade :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice gaeilgegrinds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

I think my teacher has 'over-prepared' us for the sraith pictuiri if that's possible..

We have about 3/4 to a full A4 page on each individual picture within a sraith :eek: Does the examiner deduct marks for making up stuff that is not necessarily in the picture?, eg In "Imreoir Gortaithe" the first picture is just them playing the match, but our teacher has given us notes on how "Seán" was stressed, working hard for the leaving cert, had a part-time job, became involved in sports to take a break from studying, always loved sports since he was young, he loved music too.. then describes the match! :p
    This kind of detail isn't necessary, is it?

We've been told that we have 4 mins for the picture but just reading our notes it takes about 8 minutes :rolleyes:

You won't lose marks for going over but you might be stopped or moved onto the next picture. You ONLY use information based on what you see, none of this psychology of the characters or what you think might have happened etc. It's actually easy to get the marks for the cartoons, just use a variety of verbs and short, simple, CORRECT, sentences.

I hope we have not being blatently misled by our teacher regarding these sraiths by our teacher! ie. we were told 5 pieces of information regarding the photo, such as 'bhí na daltaí ag feachaint ar líne agus ní raibh siad sásta ar chor ar bith' counting as two? and feelings and suggestions as what happens next to be included? To be honest what we got was directly from the book 'Ghleasnotaí'!

• Advertisement

I doubt your teacher has misled you, I really believe all teachers should do the orals at some stage, makes teaching that section much easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement