Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we more british than the british themselves?

Options
  • 08-04-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

what do you think? i dont know im split on the issue. i notice many irish seem to think we have some sort of cultural interlink but really its all one way. you won't find anybody in the uk knowing who our personalities are, most probably dont know what the capital is. also many irish seem to think were just a stones throw from uk when in reality the majority of them are closer to paris than dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

oi guvna, wot you on abaaaaaaat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

GOD NO,I think that would justify Nuking ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

also many irish seem to think were just a stones throw from uk when in reality the majority of them are closer to paris than dublin

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Irlbo wrote: »
    GOD NO,I think that would justify Nuking ourselves

Grand we'll buy them from England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

I'll have to ponder that question tonight whilst I cheer Liverpool onto victory against the rival town of Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What? :confused:

4 hours from london to paris

dublin longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

dublin longer

We are just a stone's throw from the UK. I don't get your point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

dublin longer

dublin to London 55mins
    dublin to Birmingham 45 Mins...You can fly now too!

na i'd definately say the british are more british. it's all in the name really..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of course not.

We just watch the X-Factor, the Premiership, Sky movies/sports, Corrie, Eastenders; we just shop at Tesco's, HMV; we just support Celtic, Man U, Liverpool; we just obsess over Amy Winehouse, Jade Goody; we just read the Sun, the Mirror. That doesn't make us British.

Using the pound would and being part of the UK would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

what do you think? i dont know im split on the issue. i notice many irish seem to think we have some sort of cultural interlink but really its all one way. you won't find anybody in the uk knowing who our personalities are, most probably dont know what the capital is.
    Agreed, but that hardly makes us "more British than the British themselves". We know more about Britain than Britain knows about Ireland, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Time to merge all the British threads. Given the size, it might need its own server though
    Dudess wrote: »
    Agreed, but that hardly makes us "more British than the British themselves". We know more about Britain than Britain knows about Ireland, that's all.

The Brits couldn't care less; we couldn't care more. End.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I'll have to ponder that question tonight whilst I cheer Liverpool onto victory against the rival town of Chelsea.

thats what i mean. it makes no sense to me that irish have devotion to english teams. and its nothing to do with quality because english soccer was ****tt in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The only people that i wopuld describe as 'more British than the British themselves' would be the Loyalists/Unionists in the North.

The only people that I would consider 'more Irish than the Irish themselves' are the Republicans/Nationalists in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

When we do try to be just like the British ie copying their television formats or their manufactured pop it generally turns out to be pretty embarrassing. As Jarvis Cocker once sang, it tends to be like a bad cover version.

Aah, sing your song about all the sad imitations that got it so wrong
    It's like a later "Tom & Jerry" when the two of them could talk
    Like the Stones since the Eighties, like the last days of Southfork.
    Like "Planet of the Apes" on TV, the second side of "'Til the Band Comes in"
    Like an own-brand box of cornflakes: he's going to let you down my friend.

Well said Jarvis.

Zadkiel wrote: »
    dublin to London 55mins
    dublin to Birmingham 45 Mins...You can fly now too!

london to paris under 1 hour

Dublin is just West Britain anyway.

dover to calais=35 minutes

lol at the people hoping they are closer to london than parisiens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

thats what i mean. it makes no sense to me that irish have devotion to english teams.

We're whores for glory and success. The teams that we are saddled with, by an accident of birth, over here don't quite chime with the inflated idea that we have of ourselves globally. Hence the constant support of English football, and the cyclical, bust-and-boom-support for rugby and international football.

Des wrote: »
    Maybe you're wrong Desmond. Maybe just maybe Britain is East Dublin. Pighead was in Britain once and he heard a man say "Have you got the price of a cup of coffee there bud?" Definite Dub wannabe.

• Advertisement

nothing to do with politics, the masses have been brainwashed by the anti eu british tabloids

Pighead wrote: »
    Maybe you're wrong Desmond. Maybe just maybe Britain is East Dublin. Pighead was in Britain once and he heard a man say "Have you got the price of a cup of coffee there bud?" Definite Dub wannabe.

I'd imagine that was just one of our fine young minds who had emigrated in search of a better life than this country could provide. Looks like he found it.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    I'd imagine that was just one of our fine young minds who had emigrated in search of a better life than this country could provide. Looks like he found it.
    Nope, definite Brit. He had the spotted dick and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

dover to calais=35 minutes

lol at the people hoping they are closer to london than parisiens

Well geographically Paris is a little closer to London than Dublin.
    Culturally though I'd say Britain and Ireland are far closer.

I think being culturally closer is far more significant than geographically.

Pighead wrote: »
    Nope, definite Brit. He had the spotted dick and everything.

He should probably see his GP about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

We are certainly more American than the British, Irish kids with American accents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    We're whores for glory and success. The teams that we are saddled with, by an accident of birth, over here don't quite chime with the inflated idea that we have of ourselves globally. Hence the constant support of English football, and the cyclical, bust-and-boom-support for rugby and international football.
    Despite people's insistence on Irish people being begruders, always putting themselves down etc, I have to say the above is spot-on too.

Dan Dare wrote: »
    We are certainly more American than the British, Irish kids with American accents etc.

annoying D4 dickheads with faux valley-accents you mean.

I want to kick the teeth of all of these ****.

annoying D4 dickheads with faux valley-accents you mean.

I want to kick the teeth of all of these ****.
    You sound like an annoying British football hooligan when you say that. Makes Pighead want to write a poem about how un-Irish you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

what do you think? i dont know im split on the issue. i notice many irish seem to think we have some sort of cultural interlink but really its all one way. you won't find anybody in the uk knowing who our personalities are, most probably dont know what the capital is. also many irish seem to think were just a stones throw from uk when in reality the majority of them are closer to paris than dublin

what are you smoking?

Advertisement