Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we more british than the british themselves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not denying there's nothing I wouldn't do to/for a rugged, brooding, moody Englishman...

Rugged, brooding, moody Englishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

walshb wrote: »
    We are as a nation obsessed with the British; but, lets be honest, Britain has had such a major major impact on the WORLD, not just us. The whole world has some
    affiliation to the Brits. Love them or hate them, they have shaped the world so much and imposed themselves in so many ways, good and bad. It is bound to rub off on
    others!
    Spot-on. Britain may not be the super-power it once was, but its legacy lives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm not denying there's nothing I wouldn't do to/for a rugged, brooding, moody Englishman...
    7th wife of King Henry VIII in waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Gah... why do you have to ruin the fantasy!
    javaboy wrote: »
    Indeed. And also...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Zadkiel wrote: »
    dublin to London 55mins

46 mins if you have a good tail wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Define british ? cos otherwise that includes scotish, welsh and manx as well as english.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sharrow wrote: »
    Define british ? cos otherwise that includes scotish, welsh and manx as well as english.

you just have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

We are British as Ireland is part of the British Isles:D

Its the same as saying the French are European.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

na i'd definately say the british are more british. it's all in the name really..
    pretty simple really.
    I think we are more Irish than the British to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

raptorman wrote: »
    We are British as Ireland is part of the British Isles:D

Its the same as saying the French are European.

no ireland is also european

• Advertisement

ART6 wrote: »
    A brother in law of mine summed it up quite well I thought. He said that we hate the bl**dy Brits. Oh, the English, Scots, Welsh, are grand lads, but the bl**dy Brits...!

Actually I suspect it might be hard to find a Brit with a long family history (ie not an immigrant) who does not have Irish blood somewhere in his lineage, or for that matter an Irishman who doesn't have some English blood lurking there somewhere. After all, I understand that the Irish born population of London alone is greater than the population of Ireland.

Culturally, in our laws and in our language, we are very much closer to Britain, and to a lesser extent to the USA, that we will ever be to Europe. We have a democracy that is modeled on two of the oldest in the world (UK and USA), and we should cherish that and defend it. Put aside the Famine and the civil war. Those were generations past. Revere the people who then suffered, but move on. We could do with some friends at the moment!

:rolleyes:

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Well ok, fair point but you know what I mean, the British Isles does include us. When people talk about Britain they usually mean the UK

what do you mean closer to europe? unless you mean eu which we were one of the first to join, 'europe' means nothing i think youll find ireland is europe and so is uk and there is big differences between how portugal ireland sweden slovakia etc. do things

seanybiker wrote: »
    pretty simple really.
    I think we are more Irish than the British to be honest.

only difference is gaa and eu opinion(although the tabloids have got to the masses and turning us into them. god i love my country but so many things anger me about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

Ireland is like an autonomous region of Britain. A typical Irish main street is indistinguishable from a high street in say Exeter, Bristol, Norwich. Same bands, writers, TV progs, soaps, restaurant fast food, Jade Goodyisms, digital TV with a few regional variations.
    Ireland has become much closer culturally to Britain since independence.
    Of course, to suggest this to some Irish people is heresy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

kpbdublin wrote: »
    Ireland is like an autonomous region of Britain. A typical Irish main street is indistinguishable from a high street in say Exeter, Bristol, Norwich. Same bands, writers, TV progs, soaps, restaurant fast food, Jade Goodyisms, digital TV with a few regional variations.
    Ireland has become much closer culturally to Britain since independence.
    Of course, to suggest this to some Irish people is heresy.

You really need to get out of Dublin mate.

raptorman wrote: »
    Well ok, fair point but you know what I mean, the British Isles does include us. When people talk about Britain they usually mean the UK

i agree like scandinavia or even the low countries. just a little thing that irks me and im a bit grumpy coz bayern are being destroyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

I personally can't stand Irish people referring to the Guards as the Police or the day after Christmas day as Boxing Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

magick wrote: »
    lol this thread is a joke right?!

Oh there is some fantastic trolling going on.
    I'm just watching in amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

CamperMan wrote: »
    Are you sure they were Brits??, they could have been Irish living in the UK

Definitely Brits, born and bred lol

btw, what is a brit these days, its difficult to find a person there who is a true brit, they are mostly people from the former colonies with british passports, but thats the cost of centuries of Tyranny

I remember walking down Edgeware Rd in London and a Car stopped beside me to ask Directions but before he could ask that, he asked "Do you speak English?" now to me that is a country which is fast losing its identity

Here in Dubai the British Expats are more British than the people living in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

ní aontaím le seo in aon chor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm off to England tomorrow for a few days , hope they speak English there.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I eat in McDonalds, wear tommy hilfiger and watch CSI does that make me more American than the Americans?

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm off to England tomorrow for a few days , hope they speak English there.:rolleyes:
    Judging by the traffic going into Heathrow this afternoon, I'd say you would be lucky to find someone to talk to at all.

olann mé tae agus usáideann mé matamatic aráibíc
    an as an tsín nó an aráibía?

i drink tea and use arabic math
    am i chinese or an arab?

olann mé tae agus usáideann mé matamatic aráibíc
    an as an tsín nó an aráibía?

i drink tea and use arabic math
    am i chinese or an arab?
    the Irish drink more tea, per head, than the English. So I would say you are Irish and in need of a more entertaining hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I eat in McDonalds, wear tommy hilfiger and watch CSI does that make me more American than the Americans?

Not if Mc D's are using Irish Beef, and the Gardai in Galway have a High Ace Van with CSI written on it.:D

ní ólann mé le píosa craic, ólann agus itheann mé*le neart
    i dont drink or eat for a hobby, i do for sustenance

ní ólann mé le píosa craic, ólann agus itheann mé*le neart
    i dont drink or eat for a hobby, i do for sustenance

You don't drink for a hobby? Maybe you are arabic.

• Advertisement

tae, a mhac - ólaim deochanna alcól le haghaidh píosa craic

tea is what i meant, alchol i do for fun

Advertisement