Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we more british than the british themselves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Ruu wrote: »
    *looks at thread with glasses on tip of the nose and sips at tea (pinky out) and scoffs*

Lol, yep! Thanks for the laugh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

CamperMan wrote: »
    Are you sure they were Brits??, they could have been Irish living in the UK

yeah and Asians, Africans, Europeans, Australians, Americans...[insert any given Nationality]...try to disguise your rascism a bit better:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Zadkiel wrote: »
    dublin to London 55mins
    dublin to Birmingham 45 Mins...You can fly now too!

Or quicker still, Dundalk to Newry > only 25 mins & you're in the UK ............

With only 24 miles seperating this island from the big island next door wouldn't it be very strange if we wearn't very similar, & closely related to the other inhabitants of these islands in many, many ways!

Of course we are 'British' in a cultural sense, from Footie, to TV, to Rugby, to Food, to Language, to Culture, to everything we are in Ireland, for we are in reality a 'varient' on the British theme (not English), not Scottish, not Welsh, but Irish with a Capital I > which still doesn't hide our true geographical identity.

Just look at any pictures of Queen Victoria's last visit here in 1900, and count the tens of thousands of Union Jacks that were flying all over the place > Britishness is just beneath the skin, and obviously since 1922 we have gained "Political independence" while at the same time convincing ourselves that 'They' are the British, but 'We' most certainly are NOT, "because we are Irish".

And we are totally different ;););)

I'm off for a cuppa, then i'm really looking forward to the footie tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Have you ever been to the UK? In Irish pubs in Birmingham they're more Irish than the Irish. Trad music non-stop until your ears start to bleed, all anyone want to talk about is the GAA and how they fup do they know all my cousins??

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

ScumLord wrote: »
    Have you ever been to the UK? In Irish pubs in Birmingham they're more Irish than the Irish. Trad music non-stop until your ears start to bleed, all anyone want to talk about is the GAA and how they fup do they know all my cousins??

Yeh the Dubliner in digbeth was a grand oul spot....til it got burned to the ground :(

The new place just doesn't have the same ambience

• Advertisement

Camelot wrote: »
    Or quicker still, Dundalk to Newry > only 25 mins & you're in the UK ............

With only 24 miles seperating this island from the big island next door wouldn't it be very strange if we wearn't very similar, & closely related to the other inhabotants of these islands in many, many ways!

Of course we are 'British' in a cultural sense, from Footie, to TV, to Rugby, to Food, to Language, to Culture, to everything we are in Ireland, for we are in reality a 'varient' on the British theme (not English), not Scottish, not Welsh, but Irish with a Capital I > which still doesn't hide our true geographical identity.

Just look at any pictures of Queen Victoria's last visit here in 1900, and count the tens of thousands of Union Jacks that were flying all over the place > Britishness is just beneath the skin, and obviously since 1922 we have gained "Political independence" while at the same time convincing ourselves that 'They' are the British, but 'We' most certainly are NOT, "because we are Irish".

And we are totally different ;););)

I'm off for a cuppa, then i'm really looking forward to the footie tonight!

Ha ha ..speak for yourself mate..where do you think the phrase "Jackeen" came from...that exact event..we are well aware of your love for the "Brits" but please do not tar us all with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

God, any Irish person who admired and respected Queen Victoria enough to fawn at her when she visited was some asshole...

Dudess wrote: »
    God, any Irish person who admired and respected Queen Victoria enough to fawn at her when she visited was some asshole...

Now now..thats no language for a Mod..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

What do you think the Princess Diana mourners or the Jane Goodyear mourners of today would have been doing 100 years ago?

Well Princess Diana didn't have the same disdain for Ireland as Queen Victoria had. And Jade Goody - not a monarch, even if the Sun says she was...
    Now now..thats no language for a Mod..;)
    That's true - the mod charter forbids swearing, even on forums the mods don't moderate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Yeah but at least she came over here for a visit. I didn't see Diana or Goody doing that.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Yeah but at least she came over here for a visit. I didn't see Diana or Goody doing that.

lolololol

Wasnt it good of her...:)

Camelot wrote: »
    Who said Queen Victoria had 'disdain' for Ireland ? unless you are refering to the Famine (when she was 26 years of age), and the the crowds turn out en'mass to welcome her in 1900.

To be fair I wldnt call it disdain..more ignorance really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well Princess Diana didn't have the same disdain for Ireland as Queen Victoria had. And Jade Goody - not a monarch, even if the Sun says she was...

That's true - the mod charter forbids swearing, even on forums the mods don't moderate.

OT but WTF?
    fuck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

OT but WTF?
    fuck that.

Reported.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Reported for backseat smadminning

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only people who see themselves as British are the English. The rest of us are Irish, Welsh or Scottish. Some people up north claim to be British but they are very different to the English and rarely get invited around for tea.

Actually the English aren't even British they aren't descended from the original britons nor and the whole king Author thing. Instead they are descended from the Anglo-Saxons , having pushed the celts into Wales and cornwall .Then later on the Normans came in and took all the top jobs, but the Angles got the last laugh there when they imported a Royal family from the old country.

But the original Britons were celtic so yes we are more like the original Britons than those who now claim to be British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

what do you think? i dont know im split on the issue. i notice many irish seem to think we have some sort of cultural interlink but really its all one way. you won't find anybody in the uk knowing who our personalities are, most probably dont know what the capital is. also many irish seem to think were just a stones throw from uk when in reality the majority of them are closer to paris than dublin

You've never been to the UK then, have you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    No all the Royals have blue wee.
    The British army used to wear red uniforms to hide the blood.

The RAF wear blue uniforms for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Filmed in inner city Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

god some of the responses are depressing. i wish the spanish had got the finger out back in the day.

were way to close to britain cant wait for a federal one language europe(not going to happen for years but one day)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

lol this thread is a joke right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A brother in law of mine summed it up quite well I thought. He said that we hate the bl**dy Brits. Oh, the English, Scots, Welsh, are grand lads, but the bl**dy Brits...!

Actually I suspect it might be hard to find a Brit with a long family history (ie not an immigrant) who does not have Irish blood somewhere in his lineage, or for that matter an Irishman who doesn't have some English blood lurking there somewhere. After all, I understand that the Irish born population of London alone is greater than the population of Ireland.

Culturally, in our laws and in our language, we are very much closer to Britain, and to a lesser extent to the USA, that we will ever be to Europe. We have a democracy that is modeled on two of the oldest in the world (UK and USA), and we should cherish that and defend it. Put aside the Famine and the civil war. Those were generations past. Revere the people who then suffered, but move on. We could do with some friends at the moment!

magick wrote: »
    lol this thread is a joke right?!
    No - title is badly phrased all right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

javaboy wrote: »
    Reported.
    Reported for backseat smadminning

Extra: Can we suspend this thread and watch a mod dual?:D

*Better than the b****y budget, at least*

Manly naked wrestling inspired by Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Women in Love please!

ART6 wrote:
    We have a democracy that is modeled on two of the oldest in the world (UK and USA), and we should cherish that and defend it.
    we inherited the laws, in the same way that most of Europe inherited the Napoleonic code.

But our voting arrangements are very different because we use PR and we don't have a Two Party system
    Our president doesn't have a lot of powers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Manly naked wrestling inspired by Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Women in Love please!
    This explains everything you've ever posted in British themed threads.

I'm not denying there's nothing I wouldn't do to/for a rugged, brooding, moody Englishman...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,943 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We are as a nation obsessed with the British; but, lets be honest, Britain has had such a major major impact on the WORLD, not just us. The whole world has some
    affiliation to the Brits. Love them or hate them, they have shaped the world so much and imposed themselves in so many ways, good and bad. It is bound to rub off on
    others!

Advertisement