Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage Darndale Gang

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Cocaine is a rich mans drug. Wouldnt be that widespread in Darndale as its too expensive.

When? In the 80 s?

Do you seriously reckon I would come across more people sniffed off their heads watching a Six Nations game in a pub in Malahide than you would on a busy evening in a pub in the Darndale area?

A mate of mine who worked in AIB reckoned of 50 people on his floor he would be very surprised if more than 7 of them had ever had anything stronger than a joint. Most of them would regard more than seven pints in one session as Keith Richards territory.

Wolf of Wall Street it ain't.

Now bear in mind these weren't all D4 heads. Largely middle class Dublin and college educated culchies.

A mixture of prudishness and plain old being too tight with the money (the country former students in particular). Though to be fair they were all on awful money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

with the exception of opiats and some coke users , the users generally aren't the problem, you can decriminalise or legalise possession and it'll do very little, its the dealers are the problem. Traveller gangs in louth and the Dublin gangs are all killing each other for profits from the coke trade. the can of worms is open, how to close it is a question nobody answered but 'let them at it' is an insanely irresponsible thing to do.

You wouldn't need dealers where it supplied free by the State. I have no interest in taking any drug personally but if people are going to do it anyway let them do it is a safe space that does not cause all the social problems that dealing and public use cause.
    Half of the criminal gangs would have no business anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,877 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My God. Sinn Fein shoehorned into another thread and is now being blamed on something 4 years in the future.

Absolute state of this forum.

They are being spoken re: their truly appalling record on speaking up or doing anything to fight crime.... it’s always somebody else’s or society’s fault...

It’s relative to the topic at hand... criminals protecting criminals.

What did then Stormont finance minister Conor Murphy, a minister, say about the murder of Paul Quinn in 2007 ?...he claimed it was ok because Paul Quinn was involved in criminality and smuggling....

This guy thinking it’s ok for Mr Quinn to be denied due process and murdered by up to 10 RA heads, if he had evidence ... I dunno, call the PSNI maybe ? obviously not a shred of evidence because they had a moral objection to Mr Quinn’s criminality, but more likely because what Mr Quinn might have been doing was stepping on the toes of his own criminal / shinner mates... couldn’t make it up with this lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

Yup, white collar criminals have caused more damage to society than any supposed "dole spongers. "

This just in, white collar crime is worse than beating someone and leaving them with permanent injuries
    Here's a video of a woman getting battered on the 27 bus last week in Darndale by teenagers - https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-fight-footage-shows-19355615

It just seems part and parcel of Dublin/Ireland. There have been gangs like this for as long as I've been around anyway, they just get a bit more press these days because of social media.
    We as a country have more scumbags than other European countries, for all kinds of reasons.

Yeah except in the UK there's a higher percentage of scumbags who carry knives
    Not only is it morally wrong on the rest of the public but it's a destructive policy against the people they claim to be trying to help. You may get your 200 a week disability or JSA and your council house but imagine the sense of worthlessness that must come eventually. No prospects, stuck in welfare trap.

Don't lump disabled people on disability in with dole scroungers, its disgusting
    they really misuse that phrase.

the only thing I can think of safer than a dole sponger with a council gaf and a medical card is an AP grade civil servant who inherited their parents gaf in ballsbridge - almost impossible to screw up life and end up homeless in either of those cases.

the actual most vulnerable in society is a self employed person renting, but because half the time those people get on just fine they're not a priority at all.

Ridiculous, the most vulnerable people in Ireland are disabled people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You wouldn't need dealers where it supplied free by the State. I have no interest personally in taking any drug personally but if people are going to do it anyway let them do it is a safe space that does not cause all the social problems that dealing and public use cause.
    Half of the criminal gangs would have no business anymore.

I have a feeling people would much rather take lines with their friends in nightclubs and pubs than in a dimly lit box room inside a hse building with some public servant watching them from behind a perspex screen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

bri007 wrote: »
    This gang are terrorising st Anne’s park the last few months, attacking teenagers stealing their bikes, attacking people, smashing mirrors of cars. They go around in gangs of up to 13/14 of them. Mate is a Garda and said they can’t do a thing to them and takes up so much resources and time when little can be done.

Perhaps he and his colleagues should find a new fúcking job then if they "can't do anything"

2020 has exposed many things about this country. Our "national police service" is one of them

I remember this Chinese woman who was racially abused and pushed into a river once ....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

So much red tape now the Gardaí are almost powerless.

Back in the day when the rif raff used to arrive into Naas the local Gardaí used to take them off in the Dublin mountains direction, and leave them off without their shoes. Was a long walk back into town for them.

Over in Newbridge a drop off in the middle of the curragh plains without their shoes would usualy ensure troublemakers would go else where on their next night out.

No court dates, no cost to the taxpayer but lads got the message that if they acted up, they would have a long cold walk home.

Imagine doing that today... oh the uproar!
    (also they could probably use their mobile to call a taxi :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Cocaine is a rich mans drug. Wouldnt be that widespread in Darndale as its too expensive. Other drugs more prevalent. Heroin thankfully not widespread at all. That was the generation of the late 80s and 90s mostly. Obviously there is still a few

Just stepping in here to say, Cocaine is absolutely not a rich man's drug and it hasn't been for a long time. It's as normal to working 20-30 year olds on a night out now as the chippers' after. Most of them can't afford to move out of home, so they've just enough disposable income to build 50 or 60 quid's worth of powder into the cost of a night out - less than they'd spend on drink - and it means you can stay up instead of going home for longer.

In any of the big clubs/pubs in Dublin on a Friday night, you'd have more people there using it than not, and there's no stigma in using it at all even if it's somebody who doesn't do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Strumms wrote: »
    They are being spoken re: their truly appalling record on speaking up or doing anything to fight crime.... it’s always somebody else’s or society’s fault...

It’s relative to the topic at hand... criminals protecting criminals.

What did then Stormont finance minister Conor Murphy, a minister, say about the murder of Paul Quinn in 2007 ?...he claimed it was ok because Paul Quinn was involved in criminality and smuggling....

This guy thinking it’s ok for Mr Quinn to be denied due process and murdered by up to 10 RA heads, if he had evidence ... I dunno, call the PSNI maybe ? obviously not a shred of evidence because they had a moral objection to Mr Quinn’s criminality, but more likely because what Mr Quinn might have been doing was stepping on the toes of his own criminal / shinner mates... couldn’t make it up with this lot..

And what has Conor Murphy got to do with Gangs in Darndale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If there was the will to stop them they could be stopped, on the one day get a load of warrants, search houses of all known scum in the area, if any illegal substances found start the eviction process. Guards, along with armed back up posted 24/7 for a couple of months and 0 tolerance policy enacted.

This would never happen as the usual lefties would be against it, claim it infringes on rights etc... The ones caught would get a slap on the wrist and the guards would be filmed every time they enter by the scumbags/sympathisers who would edit the videos highly and claim police brutality while at the same time issuing death threats and intimidation.

There is just 0 political will to sort these things as the loudest people in society shout for more freebies/benefits and no responsibilities to go with them.

When cops are raiding young scums houses CAB should also be going in and taking the 65” plasmas, PS5s, electric scooters, €1000+ bicycles designer gear, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,877 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And what has Conor Murphy got to do with Gangs in Darndale?

He’s got plenty to do with a political party who are lauded in some corners as a solution. The example of what Sinn Fein and their supporters view as being hard on crime, right. Trying to subvert and undermine criminal justice here at every opportunity... traditional.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sure, but that doesnt in any way mean that most of Ireland is taking cocaine or any other drug with any sort of regularity, which seems to be the idea some on here are trying to push..

Maybe, I assumed the connection was the belief that it was the rich who were supporting the drug trade, and enabling those selling the drugs. In any case, I've known many people from all kinds of backgrounds in Ireland who take coke, or other 'heavy' duty drugs. You can't really tell by looking at someone just how much disposable income they have and what they can spend it on. Someone living with their parents, or with their mates, and not paying rent, will have more cash available to buy drugs, and a lot of people are in similar situations.

I don't believe that coke usage is as widespread as many here seem to believe. It's just too damn expensive, and has too much downtime (along with a series of other negatives). Cannabis was always the main drug for Irish people, and I expect it still is... and yes, cannabis usage is widespread.

In any case, I think all drugs should be made legal, regulated, accessible under controlled circumstances, and let people kill themselves if they wish. At least it can be taxed, just the same way people get enormous enjoyment about the high taxation on smokers habits here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Perhaps he and his colleagues should find a new fúcking job then if they "can't do anything"

2020 has exposed many things about this country. Our "national police service" is one of them

I remember this Chinese woman who was racially abused and pushed into a river once ....

Just demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of how juveniles are dealt with in the justice system here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have a feeling people would much rather take lines with their friends in nightclubs and pubs than in a dimly lit box room inside a hse building with some public servant watching them from behind a perspex screen

That is a fair point but not one which should stop drugs being treated as a health issue rather than a criminal issue.
    I honestly don't understand how normally reasonable intelligent people will willingly absorb into their body a substance that was mixed and prepared by people who have no interest in quality control and will seek to sell at the highest price possible the minimum standard of drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is a fair point but not one which should stop drugs being treated as a health issue rather than a criminal issue.
    I honestly don't understand how normally reasonable intelligent people will willingly absorb into their body a substance that was mixed and prepared by people who have no interest in quality control and will seek to sell at the highest price possible the minimum standard of drug.

And will have made it's way into the country up the arse of a drug mule. Nothing cool about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,107 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe, I assumed the connection was the belief that it was the rich who were supporting the drug trade, and enabling those selling the drugs. In any case, I've known many people from all kinds of backgrounds in Ireland who take coke, or other 'heavy' duty drugs. You can't really tell by looking at someone just how much disposable income they have and what they can spend it on. Someone living with their parents, or with their mates, and not paying rent, will have more cash available to buy drugs, and a lot of people are in similar situations.

I don't believe that coke usage is as widespread as many here seem to believe. It's just too damn expensive, and has too much downtime (along with a series of other negatives). Cannabis was always the main drug for Irish people, and I expect it still is... and yes, cannabis usage is widespread.

I think people from all walks of life are taking all sorts of drugs, but the idea that more people take drugs than don't is false in my experience.
    Even cannabis, sure more people smoke it than take cocaine, but its still not the majority of people that this thread would have you believe.

I don't think you need to observe people taking the drugs, but if you (the government) are dispensing them to addicts then they have no need to steal to feed their habit, there is no need for dealers or traffickers and there are no worries around dodgy batches that are made of rat poison.
    A huge portion of the problems around drugs goes away.

The problem is we don't know what other problems may arise, but I dont believe making it available via the HSE for example is going to suddenly turn non users into users. Who would want to be on a (public) drug addicts register if they -weren't an addict?

I don't think you need to observe people taking the drugs, but if you (the government) are dispensing them to addicts then they have no need to steal to feed their habit, there is no need for dealers or traffickers and there are no worries around dodgy batches that are made of rat poison.
    A huge portion of the problems around drugs goes away.

The problem is we don't know what other problems may arise, but I dont believe making it available via the HSE for example is going to suddenly turn non users into users. Who would want to be on a (public) drug addicts register if they -weren't an addict?

No-one, so they’d buy it off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Anyone who buys illegal drugs is supporting the criminals for whom places like Darndale are nurseries. They are not responsible for the mess, which ultimately comes down to family and individual responsibility, but the users of every social class are responsible for maintaining a vast economy. Probably worth more than almost any other sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Here's a video of a woman getting battered on the 27 bus last week in Darndale by teenagers - https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-fight-footage-shows-19355615

It just seems part and parcel of Dublin/Ireland. There have been gangs like this for as long as I've been around anyway, they just get a bit more press these days because of social media.
    We as a country have more scumbags than other European countries, for all kinds of reasons.

I live in Spain, we don't seem to have gangs of teenage feral scum terrorising people ... I wonder why ... ??? hmmmm

Maybe because there is no child allowance here ?
    You have the kids you can afford, most people have 1 or 2 kids, it's extremely rare to see people with 3 kids .... whereas in Ireland it's common for families to have 5,6,7 kids ... all dole scrounging wasters.

• Advertisement

No-one, so they’d buy it off the street.

I don't believe there would be enough demand from non addicts to keep up a network of drug dealers?
    Especially if its "free" from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Never seen a thread with so much cliche.

Everyone has their mind made up before a question is even asked.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Who are you

Why are you saying this

Whats the point?

Do you think people care?

I live in Spain, we don't seem to have gangs of teenage feral scum terrorising people ... I wonder why ... ??? hmmmm

Maybe because there is no child allowance here ?
    You have the kids you can afford, most people have 1 or 2 kids, it's extremely rare to see people with 3 kids .... whereas in Ireland it's common for families to have 5,6,7 kids ... all dole scrounging wasters.

Yeah super common.

Or maybe we can just make up stuff, because like.... we can.

These teenage Darndale gangs (if they even exist) should be given a public award for giving so many people an opportunity to vent and feel superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone who buys illegal drugs is supporting the criminals for whom places like Darndale are nurseries. They are not responsible for the mess, which ultimately comes down to family and individual responsibility, but the users of every social class are responsible for maintaining a vast economy. Probably worth more than almost any other sector.

All dealers aren't from Darndale or similar poor rough areas, there are dealers from rich areas as well, why aren't these guys from the affluent areas out beating people up in parks?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ive a cousin who is as tough as they come. He was a bouncer in the city center for years and he would give Conor McGregor a run for his money.
    He was cyclin on the Malahide road , past Darndale. A little scumbag ran out and pushed him off is bike. Then a load of them jumped on him and kicked the living daylights out of him.

By the time they were finished he had a broken eye socket, a broken nose and a couple of broken ribs.

I asked him how they got the better of HIM. He said there were about 10 of them. I said they must have been big fkers and then he says, not one of them was older than about 14.

This is the first comment I've seen on the thread that I would actually believe.

I used to cycle commute on the Royal canal, for a good few years. Would regular see the older inner city type, (you know the ones that you see knocking about town), they'd be out fishing with pals, bag of cans, in all sorts of weather.

I wouldnt go as far as saying "nicer people you couldnt meet", but they were definitely friendly and not out to get to get anyone.

Then a gang of teenagers start to patrol it, I got shouted at a few times, then once they half blocked me at a gate. Switched routes as it was I felt it was a matter of time before I would get a beating, and they were very intimidating.

We all know the story here, these lads are exempt from punishment, as good as, until they are 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    These teenage Darndale gangs (if they even exist) should be given a public award for giving so many people an opportunity to vent and feel superior.

What a ridiculous post. A problem exists, yet you have more of an issue with those who react to said problem, than the problem itself. People like you are why things never get fixed.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Bonniedog wrote: »

People have been doing drugs since people existed. This is well known.

Prohibition is the issue, same as it was in the US in the 20s.

Prohibition does not work, this is also well known.

• Advertisement

I don't believe there would be enough demand from non addicts to keep up a network of drug dealers?
    Especially if its "free" from the government.

Most people doing coke at the weekend aren't addicts. They're carpenters, electricians, painters, bank staff, solicitors, mechanics, office admin, hairdressers, civil servants, retail staff, chefs etc.

Advertisement