Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I suppose if all one has in their fridge is the light, they're bound to be frustrated.

Do you think these asshole drivers are happy and content, made the right decisions in life.
    No effing way.

Fur coat and no knickers brigade... They're back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Other than a motor way it is not illegal to briefly pull over to hard shoulder to allow others pass once the hard shoulder is clear. Unless you're a Guard it's not your job to restrict the speed of others.

i thought it was an offence that you can get penalty points for?

im not restricting the speed other drivers are travelling at, im entitled to drive at 100 kph on a road with that speed limit, if other drivers want to go faster then that is illegal and so i wont be pulling left to let them pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i have noticed that most people drive over the speed limit these days, if you are doing 100 kph on a good road, most people are up your ass waiting to pass you, I never pull in unless its an emergency vehicle behind me. its illegal to drive in the hard shoulder now anyway.

On a motorway.... Yes

But

One can cross a broken yellow line....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

im not restricting the speed other drivers are travelling at, im entitled to drive at 100 kph on a road with that speed limit, if other drivers want to go faster then that is illegal and so i wont be pulling left to let them pass.

If you are slower you are asked to keep as far left as possible and honestly let them off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you are slower you are asked to keep as far left as possible and honestly let them off.

If they cant get around him, they should ease off. We cant be condoning forcing people off the road due to a perception that they are going slow and holding up traffic.

If someone speeds up behind me, I gradually slow down and it's not for to put manners on them. In the event of a collision, I'd rather it be at slower less damaging speeds!

if i pulled in i would feel i was only encouraging their speeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I noticed that around Christmas drivers have been particularly aggressive, with a few of them clearly driving whilst in a serious temper. The senseless commercially driven Yuletide pressure in this country is partly behind that, but I would imagine that some negative driving behaviour is indeed *driven* :) by cocaine, considering its prevalence.
    I noticed a couple of eejits while Christmas shopping all right. One in particular damn near caused a crash trying to bully his way into a lane change at 80 kph. I would have been the next car back. The driver in my lane flinched, and the prick made his lane change, only to pull back into his original lane a few seconds and one car later. If there'd been a guard there to see it, he'd have been walking home. Thinking about buying a dash camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If I'm being tailgated I slow right down until it stops and then speed up if/when they back off.
    You have to adapt to the situation. Since tailgating is dangerous I lower my speed to adapt and offset some of that danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Acosta

Better off pulling in a little and letting them go past. Let it to the Guards to the policing on the roads. Why bother making aggressive drivers your problem? I always just leave them go past if there's space to move in even if I'm at the limit.Plus the less cars around you, the less chance of an accident. Especially if they're right up behind you.

It's a different story if I'm driving in and around a town, city or anywhere there's no enough space to move aside. That's the time to put manners on people who are up your back side by slowing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You could be saving the life of an innocent person on the other side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Acosta wrote: »
    Better off pulling in a little and letting them go past.

Most people that tailgate me are not confident enough to perform an overtake so it would be a waste of time to pull in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

A lot of people think they are invincible in their cars. The amount of stupid carry on I see every day on the roads is unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually my mother has this new car and it turns the engine off automatically when you stop for a long time ...and sometimes it happens at traffic lights ..you can't stop it its an environmental feature to save petrol and stop fumes etc.

It drives people mad though. They must think she has done it on purpose. Its just built into the car though.

What drives people mad is the sitting there waiting till the lights go green, then going through the steps pf moving off, not the second it takes to press the clutch for the car to start itself.

If the person first in the queue kept an eye on the other lights and traffic, they would be able to tell when their light is due to change and start getting ready.

The same people that arent ready at the lights are the ones that queue at the shops or bank machine then get to the top and seem amazed they need to have their money or card and then start going rooting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

To answer the OP if you were walking down Shop Street, Patrick St, Grafton St wherever and someone blocked you, stopped dead in front of you or brushed off you wouldn't go blazing crazy. You just get on with it

Put a tonne of metal around you and people get brave.

A British TV show did a study of putting self confessed road ragers walking around a city centre seeing how they would react. It wasn't necessary at all. Easy to get aggressive and blare the horn and act the maggot when nothing will happen to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The guards are recruiting you should apply and then seek to join the road policing unit. Unless you are in the job it is not your responsibility to police the actions of others . Getting out of the way of a speeder when it's safe to do so is sensible. Holding them up causes frustration and can lead to stupid outcomes.

The guards are recruiting you should apply and then seek to join the road policing unit. Unless you are in the job it is not your responsibility to police the actions of others . Getting out of the way of a speeder when it's safe to do so is sensible. Holding them up causes frustration and can lead to stupid outcomes.

i still think the guards pull people over for driving in the hard shoulder, even on non motorway roads.

i still think the guards pull people over for driving in the hard shoulder, even on non motorway roads.

I already told you the law regarding the use of hard shoulder on non motorway roads. It is legal to pullover briefly to allow faster moving traffic pass, once the hard shoulder is clear. Instead of guessing maybe read up on the rules of the road.

I've never heard of someone getting done for moving in a little to the hard shoulder to let others past. Especially when it's on a straight and you can see there's nothing ahead pulled in and parked. It's safe and very courteous to other drivers. Most of the time you don't even need to go into the hard shoulder entirely.

On very busy roads that really should be motorways we need overtaking lanes inserted at a few points along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

People are just getting progressively more stupid as a trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Acosta wrote: »
    I've never heard of someone getting done for moving in a little to the hard shoulder to let others past. Especially when it's on a straight and you can see there's nothing ahead pulled in and parked. It's safe and very courteous to other drivers. Most of the time you don't even need to go into the hard shoulder entirely.

On very busy roads that really should be motorways we need overtaking lanes inserted at a few points along the way.
    cops wont bother pulling someone over if they pull a bit into hard shoulder to let em pass if they drive properly. And wont play saint myself on speed limits regarding some roads as depending on stretches conditions some are well under limit while others are way over. Problem is that most cant drag their a$$ out 10-15min early to travel safely and avoid traffic to get to ****ty job they hate early, thus putting others at risk, when conditions arent in anyone's favor, to travel at speed and risk own and others lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I bet you a months wages if a fire engine, Garda car or ambulance came tearing up behind you with the blues on, you would put 2 wheels into the hard shoulder to let them by.

If someone wants to go faster than you, let them on. Would you rather they crashed into you, or someone else?

pablo128 wrote: »
    I bet you a months wages if a fire engine, Garda car or ambulance came tearing up behind you with the blues on, you would put 2 wheels into the hard shoulder to let them by.

If someone wants to go faster than you, let them on. Would you rather they crashed into you, or someone else?

i already said the only vehicles i will pull into the hard shoulder for is emergency vehicles.

i already said the only vehicles i will pull into the hard shoulder for is emergency vehicles.

Aren't you afraid of being nicked and given points for driving in the hard shoulder in front of Gardai? And by the way, emergency services are subject to the same speed limits as everyone else, so why would you move out of their way?

You don't know if the car behind is rushing a pregnant woman or sick child to a hospital btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I doubt the propensity of people to be arseholes has changed, its more so that more of them are together on the road these days at any given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This is the part of the problem- people seem to think they have a higher sense of entitlement to use the road at higher speed than everyone else and that people are expected to get out of their way to facilitate this. And somehow trying to blame the innconent drivers for the behaviour amd consequences of a few reckless dicks is not right.

Aggressive driving is a real problem - had it tonight around where I live. Some tool driving up my Jacksie because I had the audacity to travel at the speed limit- in this case 50 kph. Most impafiwnf drivers use the bus lanes to undertake, and loads of flashing signs around my area reminding people what the speed limit is. If people want to drive faster, just leave a little earlier to get to your destination. Stop putting those under pressure who are using the roads properly and safely.

• Advertisement

Aren't you afraid of being nicked and given points for driving in the hard shoulder in front of Gardai? And by the way, emergency services are subject to the same speed limits as everyone else, so why would you move out of their way?

You don't know if the car behind is rushing a pregnant woman or sick child to a hospital btw.

Then they can ring an ambulance and not drive at 100 mph putting others at risk.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    This is the part of the problem- people seem to thonk they have a higher sense of entitlement to use the road at higher speed than everyone else and that people are expected to get out of their way to facitate this. And somehow trying to blame the innconent drivers for the behaviour amd consdquwnces of a few reckless dicks is not right.

Aggressive driving is a real problem - had it tonight around where I live. Some tool driving up my Jacksie because I had the audacity to travel at the speed limit- in this case 50 kph. Most impafiwnf drivers use the bus lanes to undertake, and loads of flashing signs around my area reminding people what the speed limit is. If people want to drive faster, just leave a little earlier to get to your destination. Stop putting those under pressure who are using the roads properly and safely.

I'm talking about the open road where there are hard shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Red lights are the new Amber...ive noticed that it no longer means stop.

I'm talking about the open road where there are hard shoulders.

Can't say I feel any major obligation on the open road. Despite it being illegal to drive in the hard shoulder, it can sometimes be in poor condition- debris and potholes. Also used by walkers and cyclists. If people want to drive in excess of the speed limit, they shouldn't expect people to get out of their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

BMW drivers were always aggressive!

Correct. I drove a 325i for a few years and I was a proper d1ck when driving. Then I got a Range Rover and I became so relaxed and courteous to other road users.

• Advertisement

Can't say I feel any major obligation on the open road. Despite it being illegal to drive in the hard shoulder, it can sometimes be in poor condition- debris and potholes. Also used by walkers and cyclists. If people want to drive in excess of the speed limit, they shouldn't expect people to get out of their way.

.....but you would move over for emergency vehicles, right? Even though you say it's 'illegal' to drive in the hard shoulder?

mikhail wrote: »
    I. Thinking about buying a dash camera.

They are so cheap now you would be mad not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do they need to be connected.? I dont want to start wiring it into the dashboard.

.....but you would move over for emergency vehicles, right? Even though you say it's 'illegal' to drive in the hard shoulder?

I think it's noted there's a difference between a driver who's driving recklessly and expecting people go get out of their way and an emergency vehicle with a genuine emergency. As I said, I don't get too stressed out if there's an aggressive driver behind me. I'd rather concentrate on what's in front of me, rather than letting someone putting me needlessly at risk. In any case, a reckless driver won't give a ****e about themselves or others around them and will overtake anyway - around a blind corner, over a blind bridge or across a double white line.

Felt fairly sorry for some eejit driving through Glen of the Downs with no lights on before Christmas; I was in the overtaking lane and they pulled out in front of me to overtake, not dangerously, not slowly, but I started flashing my lights like mad to try to alert them that they hadn't got theirs on! They pulled back into the other lane with haste, but I stayed just behind them in the overtaking lane still flashing. Then as I wasn't actually overtaking, pulled in behind them, yep, still flashing. They slowed right down so I thought feck it, and just overtook. I don't know if they got the same treatment from others or ever realised their error. They must have thought I was an extraordinary breed of arsehole.

For those that don't know that stretch of N11, it is lit with street lights both sides of the Glen of the Downs, but not through that short section. Still no excuse though as it was night.

There is no issue moving in to the side and letting other drivers go past. Obviously don't do it on a corner, but when you can see up ahead and it's safe to make the move. There's so many vehicles on the road now. Far too much for a country with the population of Ireland because public transport isn't very good. Stop trying to police other drivers, making them your problem and use some common sense. I just can't understand this attitude. If more people actually looked in there mirrors from time to time they would already be moved in by the time the guy behind gets behind you. He sails by, says thanks by using his hazard lights, goes on about his business and now you have nobody behind you. I'm sick of sitting in 40 plus vehicle tail backs because someone has decided they know best. I think a lot of people tails of aggressive driving is another's tail of driving like an ignorant moron.

As I have already stated it is not illegal to move onto the hard shoulder of non motorway roads briefly to allow faster traffic pass you by once the hard shoulder is clear.
    Don't do it if you don't want to but at least make yourself aware of the law instead of spouting rubbish.

anewme wrote: »
    Do they need to be connected.? I dont want to start wiring it into the dashboard.

Most plug into the cigarette lighter. A long cable is usually supplied so it can be ran behind trim. A benefit of plugging it into the cigarette lighter is that it turns off when you turn the car off.

As I have already stated it is not illegal to move onto the hard shoulder of non motorway roads briefly to allow faster traffic pass you by once the hard shoulder is clear.
    Don't do it if you don't want to but at least make yourself aware of the law instead of spouting rubbish.

Yeah thanks for that. Good to know. It is however illegal to exceed the speed limit and drive dangerously. Facilitating this is somehow held in higher regard over people who use the roads safely and responsibly.

Yeah thanks for that. Good to know. It is illegal to exceed the speed limit and drive dangerously. Facilitating this is somehow held in higher regard over people who use the roads safely and responsibly.

You can't talk about using the roads safely and responsibly if you are intentionally holding other motorists up. There have been tractor drivers prosecuted for not pulling in to allow faster vehicles to pass. Tractors have every right to be on the road once everything is in order. That doesn't mean they can make 50 vehicles behind them drive at 40 kph.

• Advertisement

You can't talk about using the roads safely and responsibly if you are intentionally holding other motorists up. There have been tractor drivers prosecuted for not pulling in to allow faster vehicles to pass. Tractors have every right to be on the road once everything is in order. That doesn't mean they can make 50 vehicles behind them drive at 40 kph.

Hmmm. Think there's a bit of false equivalence going on there. When I end up in court for travelling at the speed limit and holding someone up, I'll let you know. Been driving since 1987 with zero penalty points, no fines and not as much as a parking ticket, so not expecting this to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

If people are not moving after about 2 seconds after a green - they should be taken off the road.

Just selfish pricks or slow people.

We should start a beep at 3 seconds campaign. It would get people off phones and mirrors.
    Breaking red lights by drivers (and pedestrians) seems endemic in Ireland based on my own observations. Waiting for a couple of seconds after the lights change to green might help you avoid a collision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

alot of people on the roads that dont be long there
    a lot
    i bees beepin but nah bees ragin
    mite b an ag3d wan
    road ragerz shud b settled with rap music chainsaw finales
    or at least leitrim poetry

Yeah thanks for that. Good to know. It is however illegal to exceed the speed limit and drive dangerously. Facilitating this is somehow held in higher regard over people who use the roads safely and responsibly.

You are not required to police the behaviour of others, if someone is determined to get past you it is safer to facilitate this if safe to do so rather than acting as if you a member of the road policing unit.

We've all encountered utter wankbags who hog the white line, policing the roads, and when you dare overtake, they speed up. Then when you complete the overtake they put the full beam on.

I wonder how many of them are posting on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Obviously motorists are becoming more aggressive, based on the tone of the bickering here.

You are not required to police the behaviour of others, if someone is determined to get past you it is safer to facilitate this if safe to do so rather than acting as if you a member of the road policing unit.

Each to their own I guess. As I said, people driving safely and responsibly seem to be held responsible for the outcome of reckless driving. People just need to calm down and not get wound up on the roads.

Obviously motorists are becoming more aggressive, based on the tone of the bickering here.

Definitely. But what is evident also, is that the aggressive driver isn't always the speed merchant or the lad trying to barge into your lane, or beeping you at the lights. There's a certain cohort who seem to think they can dictate other people's driving through blocking them or speeding up to close a gap so as not to let someone out of a turn or to change lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

roads are for cars
    beaches, forests etc for walkers and wanna - be-seen-fitness-enthusiasts
    neer d twain shd met

• Advertisement

Definitely. But what is evident also, is that the aggressive driver isn't always the speed merchant or the lad trying to barge into your lane, or beeping you at the lights. There's a certain cohort who seem to think they can dictate other people's driving through blocking them or speeding up to close a gap so as not to let someone out of a turn or to change lane.

You mean there's a certain cohort who just want to use the roads safely. I think its kind of odd that people like me are said to be dictating, whereas people speeding or driving reckless are not. It's part of the problem with the aggressive driving on the roads.

Advertisement