Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Options

Comments

I noticed that around Christmas drivers have been particularly aggressive, with a few of them clearly driving whilst in a serious temper. The senseless commercially driven Yuletide pressure in this country is partly behind that, but I would imagine that some negative driving behaviour is indeed *driven* :) by cocaine, considering its prevalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have an electric car, people never hear an engine and I have no problem with beeping
    Don't you have a noise gadget on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have an electric car, people never hear an engine and I have no problem with beeping

It runs out of electricity if you use the horn too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

maudgonner wrote: »
    (unless you know he sequence and know it's going to be a good while before it changes)

These are the incidents I'm talking about. In an automatic these days so no issue anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno. For a while I was really driving only quite local and getting back into driving more widely in the last couple of years I haven't noticed any extra aggression TBH. I can generally and happily avoid rush hour, but even then. I have noticed people in more of a rush generally and more volumes of traffic on roads, particularly rat runs in rush hour. No extra aggression though. I honestly can't recall the last time anybody flashed their lights or beeped their horn at me.

Then again I don't sit at the lights having a brainfart finding the go pedal and I don't sit in the outside lane at 80Kph. I do tend to sit in the inside lane on motorways at 80-90(sweet spot for MPG and chilling), so it's not as if I'm one of those everybody must drive 120kph everywhere!!! people. Nor do I dawdle on secondary roads. I also indicate properly and leave plenty of room. So that could be why I don't get horns blasted at me.

If you're getting regular flashing lights and horns, it might be you. On the principle of if one person says you smell you can safely discount it, if ten do, buy soap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BMW drivers were always aggressive!

The bmw headlights look angry, esp when they're right up your jaxie impatiently waiting to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The bmw headlights look angry, esp when they're right up your jaxie impatiently waiting to overtake.

Tend to have purple or pink fogs on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Too many cars and it seems it's the same person in each of them. There are too many pig ignorant bullies on the road who need to face punishment for their behaviour. I support that speed limit bill but don't think it goes far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i have noticed that most people drive over the speed limit these days, if you are doing 100 kph on a good road, most people are up your ass waiting to pass you, I never pull in unless its an emergency vehicle behind me. its illegal to drive in the hard shoulder now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i have noticed that most people drive over the speed limit these days, if you are doing 100 kph on a good road, most people are up your ass waiting to pass you, I never pull in unless its an emergency vehicle behind me. its illegal to drive in the hard shoulder now anyway.

Other than a motor way it is not illegal to briefly pull over to hard shoulder to allow others pass once the hard shoulder is clear. Unless you're a Guard it's not your job to restrict the speed of others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I suppose if all one has in their fridge is the light, they're bound to be frustrated.

Do you think these asshole drivers are happy and content, made the right decisions in life.
    No effing way.

Fur coat and no knickers brigade... They're back

Other than a motor way it is not illegal to briefly pull over to hard shoulder to allow others pass once the hard shoulder is clear. Unless you're a Guard it's not your job to restrict the speed of others.

i thought it was an offence that you can get penalty points for?

im not restricting the speed other drivers are travelling at, im entitled to drive at 100 kph on a road with that speed limit, if other drivers want to go faster then that is illegal and so i wont be pulling left to let them pass.

On a motorway.... Yes

But

One can cross a broken yellow line....

im not restricting the speed other drivers are travelling at, im entitled to drive at 100 kph on a road with that speed limit, if other drivers want to go faster then that is illegal and so i wont be pulling left to let them pass.

If you are slower you are asked to keep as far left as possible and honestly let them off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you are slower you are asked to keep as far left as possible and honestly let them off.

If they cant get around him, they should ease off. We cant be condoning forcing people off the road due to a perception that they are going slow and holding up traffic.

If someone speeds up behind me, I gradually slow down and it's not for to put manners on them. In the event of a collision, I'd rather it be at slower less damaging speeds!

if i pulled in i would feel i was only encouraging their speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I noticed that around Christmas drivers have been particularly aggressive, with a few of them clearly driving whilst in a serious temper. The senseless commercially driven Yuletide pressure in this country is partly behind that, but I would imagine that some negative driving behaviour is indeed *driven* :) by cocaine, considering its prevalence.
    I noticed a couple of eejits while Christmas shopping all right. One in particular damn near caused a crash trying to bully his way into a lane change at 80 kph. I would have been the next car back. The driver in my lane flinched, and the prick made his lane change, only to pull back into his original lane a few seconds and one car later. If there'd been a guard there to see it, he'd have been walking home. Thinking about buying a dash camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If I'm being tailgated I slow right down until it stops and then speed up if/when they back off.
    You have to adapt to the situation. Since tailgating is dangerous I lower my speed to adapt and offset some of that danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Acosta

Better off pulling in a little and letting them go past. Let it to the Guards to the policing on the roads. Why bother making aggressive drivers your problem? I always just leave them go past if there's space to move in even if I'm at the limit.Plus the less cars around you, the less chance of an accident. Especially if they're right up behind you.

It's a different story if I'm driving in and around a town, city or anywhere there's no enough space to move aside. That's the time to put manners on people who are up your back side by slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

You could be saving the life of an innocent person on the other side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Acosta wrote: »
    Better off pulling in a little and letting them go past.

Most people that tailgate me are not confident enough to perform an overtake so it would be a waste of time to pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

A lot of people think they are invincible in their cars. The amount of stupid carry on I see every day on the roads is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually my mother has this new car and it turns the engine off automatically when you stop for a long time ...and sometimes it happens at traffic lights ..you can't stop it its an environmental feature to save petrol and stop fumes etc.

It drives people mad though. They must think she has done it on purpose. Its just built into the car though.

What drives people mad is the sitting there waiting till the lights go green, then going through the steps pf moving off, not the second it takes to press the clutch for the car to start itself.

If the person first in the queue kept an eye on the other lights and traffic, they would be able to tell when their light is due to change and start getting ready.

The same people that arent ready at the lights are the ones that queue at the shops or bank machine then get to the top and seem amazed they need to have their money or card and then start going rooting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

To answer the OP if you were walking down Shop Street, Patrick St, Grafton St wherever and someone blocked you, stopped dead in front of you or brushed off you wouldn't go blazing crazy. You just get on with it

Put a tonne of metal around you and people get brave.

A British TV show did a study of putting self confessed road ragers walking around a city centre seeing how they would react. It wasn't necessary at all. Easy to get aggressive and blare the horn and act the maggot when nothing will happen to you

The guards are recruiting you should apply and then seek to join the road policing unit. Unless you are in the job it is not your responsibility to police the actions of others . Getting out of the way of a speeder when it's safe to do so is sensible. Holding them up causes frustration and can lead to stupid outcomes.

The guards are recruiting you should apply and then seek to join the road policing unit. Unless you are in the job it is not your responsibility to police the actions of others . Getting out of the way of a speeder when it's safe to do so is sensible. Holding them up causes frustration and can lead to stupid outcomes.

i still think the guards pull people over for driving in the hard shoulder, even on non motorway roads.

i still think the guards pull people over for driving in the hard shoulder, even on non motorway roads.

I already told you the law regarding the use of hard shoulder on non motorway roads. It is legal to pullover briefly to allow faster moving traffic pass, once the hard shoulder is clear. Instead of guessing maybe read up on the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Acosta

I've never heard of someone getting done for moving in a little to the hard shoulder to let others past. Especially when it's on a straight and you can see there's nothing ahead pulled in and parked. It's safe and very courteous to other drivers. Most of the time you don't even need to go into the hard shoulder entirely.

On very busy roads that really should be motorways we need overtaking lanes inserted at a few points along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

People are just getting progressively more stupid as a trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Acosta wrote: »
    I've never heard of someone getting done for moving in a little to the hard shoulder to let others past. Especially when it's on a straight and you can see there's nothing ahead pulled in and parked. It's safe and very courteous to other drivers. Most of the time you don't even need to go into the hard shoulder entirely.

On very busy roads that really should be motorways we need overtaking lanes inserted at a few points along the way.
    cops wont bother pulling someone over if they pull a bit into hard shoulder to let em pass if they drive properly. And wont play saint myself on speed limits regarding some roads as depending on stretches conditions some are well under limit while others are way over. Problem is that most cant drag their a$$ out 10-15min early to travel safely and avoid traffic to get to ****ty job they hate early, thus putting others at risk, when conditions arent in anyone's favor, to travel at speed and risk own and others lives.

Advertisement