Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Options
  • 03-01-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I think this is better here than in motors as more general.

So, on my way home 30 min ago, Dublin, I was taking the right turn off a main road into my estate. The crossroad turn is controlled by lights and has a filter lane to turn right. Green for me (but not a filter light). But the lights have an island in the middle for pedestrians with high railings so it's hard to see if it's clear to turn.

As a moved into the filter lane I noticed this *** in a Corsa right up my ass. no headlights on just the side lights (a 07 so no DLR) and he did not indicate either. So I slow as I approach the junction to ensure path is clear BEEP BEEP I hear.

Into my narrow estate and he is inches from my ass,

WTF???

Another trend I noticed in the last 10 years, if you are first at the lights and don't move off within 0.5 seconds, BEEP! I'm talking a delay literally less than 2s.

Have we all become total c**nts in our cars, or all on coke etc?

/RANT

Comments

I think this is better here than in motors as more general.

So, on my way home 30 min ago, Dublin, I was taking the right turn off a main road into my estate. The crossroad turn is controlled by lights and has a filter lane to turn right. Green for me (but not a filter light). But the lights have an island in the middle for pedestrians with high railings so it's hard to see if it's clear to turn.

As a moved into the filter lane I noticed this *** in a Corsa right up my ass. no headlights on just the side lights (a 07 so no DLR) and he did not indicate either. So I slow as I approach the junction to ensure path is clear BEEP BEEP I hear.

Into my narrow estate and he is inches from my ass,

WTF???

Another trend I noticed in the last 10 years, if you are first at the lights and don't move off within 0.5 seconds, BEEP! I'm talking a delay literally less than 2s.

Have we all become total c**nts in our cars, or all on coke etc?

/RANT

People have just become bigger c**nts in the last couple
    of decades, not just in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arseholes gonna arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've noticed a hell of a lot more impatience at red lights alright. One day over Christmas on a short journey I noticed 2 driver's break red lights, neither was close to making it through on amber .
    Only yesterday I saw the driver of a van from one one of the big TV/BB companies overtake a car stopped at a red light and go through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pay attention, never dilly dally at a traffic light and you'll never get beeped at.

There has been a marked increase in the number of Audis and BMWs sold, both new and secondhand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Pay attention, never dilly dally at a traffic light and you'll never get beeped at.

dilly dally as in put the car in gear and release handbrake? I don't be on my phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Charlie19 wrote: »

I've been beeped plenty of time just putting the car in gear. It's not the start of a grand prix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I've noticed it the past couple of years moreso than the past 10.

In 2010 we were in the depths of the recession. 2016 onward it started getting more agressive in the cities. It's all that added pressure from the resurgence of the celtic tiger.

Though where I'm living now in the shticks there are no aggressive drivers and everyone salutes each other and we're all the best of friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

...and everyone salutes each other and we're all the best of friends

It's great isn't it!?

*Raises index finger off mouse to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As others have said, people are getting a lot more aggressive in general. In cars, in shops, people are becoming ruder to sales staff in work. My niece (17 )has got herself a little part time job in a shoe shop and a women recently threw a box of shoes at her when she wasn't given her own way.

Its probably a lot to do with social media, Facebook, Twitter and the like, that people think they can say what they like to others without retribution. They also try to bully shops / businesses, trip advisor is a perfect example.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

BMW drivers were always aggressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Doubt every driver is on drugs. More likely feelings of entitlement, bring a pri@k, bad driver, and low self esteem due to having to drive a crap car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't know if it has gotten worse - it's nearly 20 years since I drove regularly in Dublin at rush hour, traffic volumes were much less then but I would encounter multiple c*nts on every journey. Often the same c*nts pulling the same, congestion causing stunts every day. Junction hopping, pretend merging, bus lane usage, forcing into non existent gaps, being "accidentally" in the wrong lane, general road rage etc.

Every day when I got to my destination I'd be wound up and have to vent to various people - most of whom had walked or got public transport in so were probably fed up of my rants about all the arseholes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I don't know if it has gotten worse -.

I think it has, I've been driving in Dublin since the mid 80's- I first noticed this during the 2008 onwards recession, I put it down to people being stressed. But, maybe people are just scum

It is hard to compare like with like to come up with a genuine answer as to whether there has been a change in the drivers - rather than in their environment.

Is there not now a lot more cars on the road than 10 years ago? As well as more Bikes?

If we had a time machine we could do an experiment. Transport 1000 drivers from then to now. And 1000 drivers from now to back then. My hypothesis - that the ones that go back would go down in aggression and the ones that come forward will rise to meet current levels of aggression.

In other words - is it driver personality that has degraded or the environment those personalities operate in?
    dan1895 wrote: »
    I've been beeped plenty of time just putting the car in gear. It's not the start of a grand prix.

It just struck me reading this that I have never actively discussed driving with other people before. So I am not sure I am doing something right wrong or different when I drive to something any other people.

But it strikes me the _only_ time my car is ever out of gear is at the absolute start and end of my journey when I am about to turn the car on or off.

Is that weird? Or is it a complete 50:50 thing? I am sure there is a reason for how I do it but I am struggling to recall what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Like everything it’s a combination of things
    Longer days in work
    More stress at work
    Less time at home
    Longer commutes
    More people on road
    More people = more chance of accident = long delays

All of these plus more combine to a very irate Irish driver

Plus the fact most Irish drivers, myself included, are actually f**king awful drivers. No idea how to use lanes, roundabout, traffic lights , like the most basic thing on a car is indicators and 99% of drivers haven’t a fu*king clue. Plus you will always have some gobs**t with their fog lights on

Take the beeps, it’s only going to get worse not better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm lucky I'm not in Dublin, but if I was and someone beeped at me within a second of the light turning green, I'd take even longer to take off, and drive at a snails pace then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You need to learn how to apply the "up yours" and the "wanker" gestures for drivers like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Driving a bus and on the road all the time it has got worse.....

Sure this morning, no traffic no issues but I can't make the turn until car in front turns right.... Qué beeeeeeedrpp0ppp

Feckin idiots.

Remember turning into my dad's house one day, very busy road and waiting, waiting to get a clear spot to turn qué beeeeeeeeeeepppppp

I got out walked back to 1st car they gestured to car behind, the guy was like oh ****.... Kept saying wasn't him and saying **** sorry at same time.. ;-)

Numpties everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,820 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes

Because people are too slow or on phone too much.

Like a red light , need to check my phone.

Be ready - move as the light goes green - everyone move and move fast.

We are just **** drivers and too slow. Some people just don't seem to be able to get a car to move.

• Advertisement

Yes

Because people are too slow or on phone too much.

Like a red light , need to check my phone.

Be ready - move as the light goes green - everyone move and move fast.

We are just **** drivers and too slow. Some people just don't seem to be able to get a car to move.

They are saving fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

dan1895 wrote: »

If you're first in the queue at traffic lights your car should be in gear (unless you know he sequence and know it's going to be a good while before it changes).

If you're further back in the queue you should pay attention and have it in gear well before the car in front pulls off.

That's not Formula One levels of driving skill, it's just basic common sense and road manners.

They are saving fuel

crazy **** - yes people driving slow trying to save fuel - taxi drivers the worst.

****. Move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I find Dublin is particularly bad, when I go back south for the holidays I find myself being the asshole as you have to get used to aggressive driving. I always assume its a city Funny thing is I find driving in the uk in cities like Manchester fine in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

valoren wrote: »
    You need to learn how to apply the "up yours" and the "wanker" gestures for drivers like that.

That absolutely escalates things.

imitation wrote: »
    I find Dublin is particularly bad, when I go back south for the holidays I find myself being the asshole as you have to get used to aggressive driving. I always assume its a city Funny thing is I find driving in the uk in cities like Manchester fine in comparison.

They have the orange to green sequence at lights in UK - that would help our , out of gear , on phone Irish drivers who cant get a car moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Imagine the poor twats in the BMW/AUDI factories installing indicators knowing they'll never be used, ah well at least they get paid for their pointless endeavours. ;-)

I've had a few incidents over the years and the last one was taxi blocking bus stop he moved a foot so I thought ah grand he is leaving, eh no he sat there wouldn't move. I couldn't reverse, he got out screaming abuse and videoing me....

I left it for 10 minutes no reaction, didn't answer him and as I had been brought to court previous as CCTV footage went missing I thought do you know what I'm going to cover myself so videoed him and went to the front to get a photo as can even when recording.

Taxi driver boxes me from behind in my side while pushing my shoulder with other hand to try and knock me down....

Luckily my left leg was ahead as otherwise I was on the ground...

I boxed the head of him, sent him flying back and he ran and got back in his car....

Stayed till the Gardai came too

They were very interested in my video as it showed his true colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Social media is slowly morphing into real life..but people need to understand it's so dangerous to act like a keyboard warrior in real life!?!?

• Advertisement

Imagine the poor twats in the BMW/AUDI factories installing indicators knowing they'll never be used, ah well at least they get paid for their pointless endeavours. ;-)

101 on bulb savings and wear and tear right there....

Advertisement