Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Social media is slowly morphing into real life..but people need to understand it's so dangerous to act like a keyboard warrior in real life!?!?

See you outside

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I recently changed from manual to auto. Unless you like sitting behind a car with very bright red lights when braking, I got into N and on the handbrake. For lights I'm used to, I know when to put it back into gear to take off, but for other places I don't, so the light goes green, release the handbrake, into D and it takes a second to engage. Not my fault, just the way the auto cars are imo. I don't mind a beep after a few seconds, but immediately as the light turns green will only end with me making it worse for them by driving legally slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

101 on bulb savings and wear and tear right there....

One could argue cost savings on no installation at all. Surely a valid argument could be made to the relevant regulatory authorities giving BMW/AUDI an exemption form the requirements for basic safety devices that everyone knows their clientele refuse to use?

I recently changed from manual to auto. Unless you like sitting behind a car with very bright red lights when braking, I got into N and on the handbrake. For lights I'm used to, I know when to put it back into gear to take off, but for other places I don't, so the light goes green, release the handbrake, into D and it takes a second to engage. Not my fault, just the way the auto cars are imo. I don't mind a beep after a few seconds, but immediately as the light turns green will only end with me making it worse for them by driving legally slow.

What car as some of you hit the brake hard but let go it will sit there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes

Because people are too slow or on phone too much.

Like a red light , need to check my phone.

Be ready - move as the light goes green - everyone move and move fast.

We are just **** drivers and too slow. Some people just don't seem to be able to get a car to move.

I will never move off as soon as the light goes green. I ain't sitting there waiting to twitch in response and fire away.

• Advertisement

I will never move off as soon as the light goes green. I ain't sitting there waiting to twitch in response and fire away.

Thats what launch control is for its fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To be honest that sounds stupid or you are doing something wrong.

Anyway - Irish drivers are so slow - you should be able to do all that before car in front moves as you are hardly always the first car.

If you can't do anything about this - change car because it is ruining everyone else life behind you .

Just do it quicker - like practice it.

The fact you are willing to then hold people up more - says more about you and why you wont learn to do it faster.

I'd have that down to F1 pace , if I had such a daft set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Driving in Dublin is a whole different ball game to the rest of the country.
    Drivers are way less cortious. Letting you out at a junction and so on.
    That's what happens I suppose when you have to many cars in one place. People become intolerable ignorent and angry at one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

valoren wrote: »
    You need to learn how to apply the "up yours" and the "wanker" gestures for drivers like that.

A van overtook me quite dangerously this evening, then when it was ahead of me it indicated left and right quickly... Have no idea what that means but it seems like an aggressive gesture?...

If peeps aren't up to scratch with the tech used for light control then here is the secret...

See them tar like rectangular boxes cut into the tarmac..... Yeah???? Well they're what controls the lights and for how long they'll stay green the direction you're going .,...

Same for turning right.... If you don't contact them with your vehicle the lights won't go green or will go red near straight away...

• Advertisement

jk23 wrote: »
    A van overtook me quite dangerously this evening, then when it was ahead of me it indicated left and right quickly... Have no idea what that means but it seems like an aggressive gesture?...

He is a truck driver that's a sorry or thanks gesture, saves having to reach over for hazard switch.

Driving in Dublin is a whole different ball game to the rest of the country.
    Drivers are way less cortious. Letting you out at a junction and so on.
    That's what happens I suppose when you have to many cars in one place. People become intolerable ignorent and angry at one another.

Or people need to realize a higher level of driving and reaction is required - not driving around with their head up their arse.

If peeps aren't up to scratch with the tech used for light control then here is the secret...

See them tar like rectangular boxes cut into the tarmac..... Yeah???? Well they're what controls the lights and for how long they'll stay green the direction you're going .,...

Same for turning right.... If you don't contact them with your vehicle the lights won't go green or will go red near straight away...

TO be honest you need to watch everything in sequence to progress at the right pace (as required in your driving test) . I watch the pedestrian lights to anticipate the sequence. I see people on phones, doing make up , for **** sake.

TO be honest you need to watch everything in sequence to progress at the right pace (as required in your driving test) . I watch the pedestrian lights to anticipate the sequence. I see people on phones, doing make up , for **** sake.

Ah that's a given....

If people are not moving after about 2 seconds after a green - they should be taken off the road.

Just selfish pricks or slow people.

We should start a beep at 3 seconds campaign. It would get people off phones and mirrors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Or people need to realize a higher level of driving and reaction is required - not driving around with their head up their arse.

A higher level of reaction. What are you on about? Most of my driving I spend on observation. If you're just twitching all the time, you see very little of what's going on around you. Relax a bit and give yourself a chance to look at what's happening.

Tailgating is getting way worse and is one of the most dangerous things to do while driving...

A higher level of reaction. What are you on about? Most of my driving I spend on observation. If you're just twitching all the time, you see very little of what's going on around you. Relax a bit and give yourself a chance to look at what's happening.

What are you talking about twitching. :rolleyes:

Anyone involved in fast anything is twitching , moving fast.

Fast reaction needs twitching. Not being brain dead.

Tailgating is way worse and is one of the most dangerous things to do while driving...

I hate tailgating - but it is normally induced by a person holding up the overtaking lane.

We have an issue here too.

Lights
    and overtaking lane two main issues.

All these RSA adds - I'd love if they did a few to cover lights and motorway driving.

We also need to increase speed levels on motorways to 140/150 kph.

I hate tailgating - but it is normally induced by a person holding up the overtaking lane.

We have an issue here too.

Lights
    and overtaking lane two main issues.

All these RSA adds - I'd love if they did a few to cover lights and motorway driving.

We also need to increase speed levels on motorways to 140/150 kph.

Yes I agree, if you don't plan on going at the speed limit of that road with 2 to 3 lanes the mannerly thing is to go on to the inside lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tailgating is getting way worse and is one of the most dangerous things to do while driving...

Break checking is worse and idiots who think it is their job to control the speed of their fellow motorist.

What are you talking about twitching. :rolleyes:

Anyone involved in fast anything is twitching , moving fast.

Fast reaction needs twitching. Not being brain dead.

Twitching refers to an action done without any direct thought applied to it.

What's so brain dead about not reacting as quick as you require, to have not thought about it?

Totally the norm on motorway or dual carriageway....

Even get them hitting the right indicator and high beams.....

I'm in no way slow or one for staying out in the phast lane but when I am I'm overtaking but these numpties think that isn't enough....

I reported a guy few years ago, he was flashing, indicator and beeping all cars ahead of him including myself for 14km. He even pushed a motorcycle to the side.

Turns out he was French and his excuse was that was the normal type of driving they would be at.....

Fecking idiot.

Yes I agree, if you don't plan on going at the speed limit of that road with 2 to 3 lanes the mannerly thing is to go on to the inside lane

Yes , typically a tailgate moaner will be a person doing about 115 kph in outside lane - they get all embarrassed when they are holding up the whole of the M4 / M7

Then the clown goes two ways - speeds up or goes , I'll show them , stay here and show them. Idiots.

If you don't know how to use the lane in your **** slow car , get the **** out of it.

Totally the norm on motorway or dual carriageway....

Even get them hitting the right indicator and high beams.....

I'm in no way slow or one for staying out in the phast lane but when I am I'm overtaking but these numpties think that isn't enough....

I reported a guy few years ago, he was flashing, indicator and beeping all cars ahead of him including myself for 14km. He even pushed a motorcycle to the side.

Turns out he was French and his excuse was that was the normal type of driving they would be at.....

Fecking idiot.

To be honest - if you held someone up for 14km - you'd want to look at yourself

that was some long overtaking you were doing.

I think this is better here than in motors as more general.

So, on my way home 30 min ago, Dublin, I was taking the right turn off a main road into my estate. The crossroad turn is controlled by lights and has a filter lane to turn right. Green for me (but not a filter light). But the lights have an island in the middle for pedestrians with high railings so it's hard to see if it's clear to turn.

As a moved into the filter lane I noticed this *** in a Corsa right up my ass. no headlights on just the side lights (a 07 so no DLR) and he did not indicate either. So I slow as I approach the junction to ensure path is clear BEEP BEEP I hear.

Into my narrow estate and he is inches from my ass,

WTF???

Another trend I noticed in the last 10 years, if you are first at the lights and don't move off within 0.5 seconds, BEEP! I'm talking a delay literally less than 2s.

Have we all become total c**nts in our cars, or all on coke etc?

/RANT

A delay of 2 seconds and they are probably looking at their phone.

Waiting for the light and two seconds of green, why didn't you move?

To be honest - if you held someone up for 14km - you'd want to look at yourself

that was some long overtaking you were doing.

It was traffic sorry I meant 4km I hit 1 by accident.

I had observed him from quite a bit back....

He was going in and out so passing vehicle on both sides

It was traffic sorry I meant 4km I hit 1 by accident.

I had observed him from quite a bit back....

He was going in and out so passing vehicle on both sides

To be honest your story doesn't add up - why would someone flash someone in traffic.

I know moving in and out is a bit annoying - but that is a by product of lack of progression by irish drivers falling asleep or on phone again.

If your on phone or asleep and leave a gap - fair game. Not anyone fault you (not you but plural) are on phone or asleep.

anewme wrote: »
    As others have said, people are getting a lot more aggressive in general. In cars, in shops, people are becoming ruder to sales staff in work. My niece (17 )has got herself a little part time job in a shoe shop and a women recently threw a box of shoes at her when she wasn't given her own way.

Its probably a lot to do with social media, Facebook, Twitter and the like, that people think they can say what they like to others without retribution. They also try to bully shops / businesses, trip advisor is a perfect example.

I'm OUTRAGED by this remark and will be calling Joe Duffy about you on Monday!

No spot on. I noticed it doing Christmas shopping. People don't give a sh1te anymore. Not just being rude but just having no manners or consideration for anyone.

• Advertisement

To be honest your story doesn't add up - why would someone flash someone in traffic.

I know moving in and out is a bit annoying - but that is a by product of lack of progression by irish drivers falling asleep or on phone again.

If your on phone or asleep and leave a gap - fair game. Not anyone fault you (not you but plural) are on phone or asleep.

Ok jaysus, I'll dumb it down for you traffic doesn't always mean stopped....

It was on the N11 from Newtown mount Kennedy to the M50 so could actybe more then 4km now I think of it....

The man in the Octavia was 5 cars behind me and a motorbike.

He was flashing and weaving for quite some time, some moved eventually others stayed out.

There was slower moving traffic on the left so I was overtaking, he eventually got behind me and was a foot away and again, beeping, indicator, shouting as could see his face/mouth and flashing among weaving again....

He stated to the traffic corp Garda that he was French and this is how they drive in France

The main reason I reported was I honestly thought he was going to kill the man on his BMW GS bike.

Look I couldn't give a fiddle if you don't believe me, I've no reason to lie or make it up....

Advertisement