Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag shot in Tarbert, Co. Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Some idiot ignored the lockdown, thats why he was shot. Probably one of the game dealers best customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

wait.....is that the full story??? as in its a paragraph??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tudderone wrote: »
    Some idiot ignored the lockdown, thats why he was shot. Probably one of the game dealers best customers ?

In fairness I'd say it was more likely a farmer that got fed up of the stag eating his expensive cattle feed and hard worked for grass.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

feelpablo wrote: »
    wait.....is that the full story??? as in its a paragraph??

Paywalled article.Quite common these days in the O Brien media empire.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

In fairness I'd say it was more likely a farmer that got fed up of the stag eating his expensive cattle feed and hard worked for grass.

Possibly, but an own-goal for us.

• Advertisement

Here's the full written report...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Facebook post of someone posing with the head lands in 3 ............. 2 ....................... !
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Honestly reads to me like a local busy body with connections to a mickey mouse reporter on a mission to shame a local farmer more than a trophy hunter travelling to Tarbert.

There's a stag roaming around my locality that was reared by a local hippy family up until a couple of years ago and the poor fella has no fear of humans, same as that other stag he wonders into farms when he hears nuts being dropped to feed cattle as he thinks it's his feeding time.

I was asked to shoot him (local one, not Tarbert one) but missed closely a couple of times and I hoped he would get the message and just f**k off and do what he is meant to do and not be stealing the cattle or sheep nuts. He's actually brain dead like the hippie's that thought they could tame him, when he is eventually shot it will be a blessing in disguise. This lad can be seen crossing the road in the middle of the day in the same place at the same time everyday, he's an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

With this only taking place not too far away from where I live I can say that the hunter was approached by a farmer in that area to cull this animal. He’s been the cause of a few near road accidents over the years. Wasn’t the guys fault who culled him, he was doing a farmer a favour. Needless to say he was greeted by a few angry locals when he got back to he’s vehicle with the Carcass. So to the people with the smart comments that he’s poaching or lining he’s pockets I think ye’d want to get all the facts before tarring people with the poachers brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Slinky94

I heard from a local in the area the person who shot the deer will be charged with a few things, trespassing on land and being outside their 5km maybe a few more things. But not sure if it ever caused any close accidents. Seems like a bit of a reach of a reason for a farmer to ask someone to come and shoot the deer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

I am open to correction but you’re allowed deer stalking outside your 5km. Seen as essential as the deer can be causing damage to farmland etc. plus you don’t need a reason to shoot deer on your land or cause them to be shot once a hunter has a licence, the season is open (which it is) and the firearm is suitable. Unless the local you’re talking to is the local superintendent or from the dpps office, I’d hold back on judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Maybe it would be best to take away deer hunting from the private person in Ireland to leave it to professionals. As we see the private hunter is his worst enemy. I for one would be slowly sick of deer stalking in Ireland as it is. Nobody recognises the services we provide for free. Lets' see what forestry companies or farmers would say about the invoice they receive from a Deer Control Company to remove deer from say plantations.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Honestly reads to me like a local busy body with connections to a mickey mouse reporter on a mission to shame a local farmer more than a trophy hunter travelling to Tarbert.

There's a stag roaming around my locality that was reared by a local hippy family up until a couple of years ago and the poor fella has no fear of humans, same as that other stag he wonders into farms when he hears nuts being dropped to feed cattle as he thinks it's his feeding time.

I was asked to shoot him (local one, not Tarbert one) but missed closely a couple of times and I hoped he would get the message and just f**k off and do what he is meant to do and not be stealing the cattle or sheep nuts. He's actually brain dead like the hippie's that thought they could tame him, when he is eventually shot it will be a blessing in disguise. This lad can be seen crossing the road in the middle of the day in the same place at the same time everyday, he's an accident waiting to happen.

Is this around the mid Kerry area, can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

Could someone please explain this statement above to me,i hear it all the time re stalkers and game dealers.

I manage deer in west cork over several 1000 acres. We typically shoot a lot of deer over the season and i can honestly say i have never sent 1 to a game dealer. They go to friends /family /professional acquaintances , back to the landowners,last year 2 went to a friends private dentist in the city :) ,all foc.

Typically the deer are shot up to a mile from the nearest accessible road and the drags can be horrendous. Returning a deer to the vehicle can take anything from 15mins to 2hrs. We have 4x4's for transporting the deer which are expensive to purchase and maintain.
    No game dealer calls to this area and i know from talking to other stalkers the nearest one will meet you an hour away in a regional big town. After time taken to retrieve the deer back to the larder ,process the carcass and deliver the deer to the game dealer ,how in the name of god could anyone even if they were lamping/poaching/machine gunning the deer make this something that could even be close to a profitable enterprise on a part time or full time basis

LilacNails wrote: »
    Is this around the mid Kerry area, can I ask?

No, it isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

gearoidol wrote: »
    Could someone please explain this statement above to me,i hear it all the time re stalkers and game dealers.

I manage deer in west cork over several 1000 acres. We typically shoot a lot of deer over the season and i can honestly say i have never sent 1 to a game dealer. They go friends /family /professional acquaintances , back to the landowners,last year 2 went to a friends private dentist in the city :) ,all foc.

Typically the deer are shot up to a mile from the nearest accessible road and the drags can be horrendous. Returning a deer to the vehicle can take anything from 15mins to 2hrs. We have 4x4's for transporting the deer which are expensive to purchase and maintain.
    No game dealer calls to this area and i know from talking to other stalkers the nearest one will meet you an hour away in a regional big town. After time taken to retrieve the deer back to the larder,process the carcass and deliver the deer to the game dealer ,how in the name of god could anyone even if they were lamping/poaching/machine gunning the deer make this something that could even be close to profitable enterprise on a part time or full time basis

Somebody is making money on this if we get reports like this, fortunately, few and far between
    "Tipp FM reporting, that a Game Dealer in South Tipperary trading under the name Premier Gaming was prosecuted & fined €9,000 for the illegal processing of deer today." Jan 24th 2013[ via FB]

As well as this in 2014
    http://deeralliance.ie/blog/warning-approaches-by-approved-game-handling-establishment-game-dealer-to-become-buying-agent-for-deer/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

ejg wrote: »
    Maybe it would be best to take away deer hunting from the private person in Ireland to leave it to professionals. As we see the private hunter is his worst enemy. I for one would be slowly sick of deer stalking in Ireland as it is. Nobody recognises the services we provide for free. Lets' see what forestry companies or farmers would say about the invoice they receive from a Deer Control Company to remove deer from say plantations.
    edi

That's the last thing that I want to see happen - if anything, I would like tighter controls and more restrictions on any sort of corporate involvement, as it tends to just bring greed, along with various problems.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

gearoidol wrote: »

I manage deer in west cork over several 1000 acres. We typically shoot a lot of deer over the season and i can honestly say i have never sent 1 to a game dealer. They go friends /family /professional acquaintances , back to the landowners,last year 2 went to a friends private dentist in the city :) ,all foc.

No game dealer calls to this area and i know from talking to other stalkers the nearest one will meet you an hour away in a regional big town. After time taken to retrieve the deer back to the larder ,process the carcass and deliver the deer to the game dealer ,how in the name of god could anyone even if they were lamping/poaching/machine gunning the deer make this something that could even be close to profitable enterprise on a part time or full time basis

There’s a simple answer. Shoot them close to a road and have a quad. I know people shooting 3 within seconds, gralloch done, and into vehicle and away within 15 minutes. Not my idea of stalking. But if you want to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

ejg wrote: »
    edi

Yeah right, give them some more ideas.

I would love to see the look on Coilte’s senior management’s face though when an invoice of a few grand lands on the local forestry manager’s desk to thin a deer herd in a plantation.

I've been asked by a couple of lads why don't I supply game dealers and the simple answer I gave is I wouldn't even dream of supporting the miserable f***kers.

They offer a pittance of like a euro or maybe 2 euro a kilo for the best wild organic meat that is the most expensive meat to buy in either a shop or restaurant, farmed venison loin is selling for 47 euro a kilo.

I have more respect for myself than to be taken advantage of by those charlatan's. I never sold a bit of venison or a trout or salmon in my life, I'll give it away with a heart and half when I know it will be appreciated. Luckily all my family prefer venison to any other red meat so it saves us a small fortune, I also try and convince as many people as I can to try it and each and every one of them has always said it was beautiful and to remember them the next time I get some. I could shoot a lot more than I do but once I have everyone looked after and the designated venison freezer is at least half full of the various cuts all vacuum packed I'm good.

I would actually feed my dogs with venison I worked hard for before I would allow myself to be taken advantage of and line the pockets of a game dealer.

• Advertisement

I've been asked by a couple of lads why don't I supply game dealers and the simple answer I gave is I wouldn't even dream of supporting the miserable f***kers.

They offer a pittance of like a euro or maybe 2 euro a kilo for the best wild organic meat that is the most expensive meat to buy in either a shop or restaurant, farmed venison loin is selling for 47 euro a kilo.

I have more respect for myself than to be taken advantage of by those charlatan's. I never sold a bit of venison or a trout or salmon in my life, I'll give it away with a heart and half when I know it will be appreciated. Luckily all my family prefer venison to any other red meat so it saves us a small fortune, I also try and convince as many people as I can to try it and each and every one of them has always said it was beautiful and to remember them the next time I get some. I could shoot a lot more than I do but once I have everyone looked after and the designated venison freezer is at least half full of the various cuts all vacuum packed I'm good.

I would actually feed my dogs with venison I worked hard for before I would allow myself to be taken advantage of and line the pockets of a game dealer.

Which is why i asked was the guy who shot the stag in question one of those who supply gamedealers. Plenty of stories around here about eejits who do supply the dealers, doing stupid and dangerous things, which bring us all into disrepute. Like shooting half tame deer in forestry close to houses, shooting out of car windows and all that madness.

Which is why i asked was the guy who shot the stag in question one of those who supply gamedealers. Plenty of stories around here about eejits who do supply the dealers, doing stupid and dangerous things, which bring us all into disrepute. Like shooting half tame deer in forestry close to houses, shooting out of car windows and all that madness.

I have no idea whatsoever who it was that shot the stag in Tarbert, it was reported in the Kerryman newspaper and that's all the information I got on it. To be honest it's a weekly newspaper I enjoy reading but to get full value from it you must be able to read between the lines.

Kerry is a very big county, Tarbert would be closer to Limerick, Clare, Galway, Tipperary and Cork than it is to where I live.

Thanks be to God.

I have no idea whatsoever who it was that shot the stag in Tarbert, it was reported in the Kerryman newspaper and that's all the information I got on it. To be honest it's a weekly newspaper I enjoy reading but to get full value from it you must be able to read between the lines.

Kerry is a very big county, Tarbert would be closer to Limerick, Clare, Galway, Tipperary and Cork than it is to where I live.

Thanks be to God.

From the local I talked to it seemed like the person who shot the deer was living in Limerick in a neighboring village. Not sure if it had anything to do with game dealing or anything like that. Pity really from the article they all seemed to like the deer but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I assume game dealers are pretty much out of business at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Richard308 wrote: »
    I am open to correction but you’re allowed deer stalking outside your 5km. Seen as essential as the deer can be causing damage to farmland etc. plus you don’t need a reason to shoot deer on your land or cause them to be shot once a hunter has a licence, the season is open (which it is) and the firearm is suitable. Unless the local you’re talking to is the local superintendent or from the dpps office, I’d hold back on judgement.

I think you are incorrect in your assumption

grassroot1 wrote: »
    I think you are incorrect in your assumption

I think he is correct.

Slinky94 wrote: »
    From the local I talked to it seemed like the person who shot the deer was living in Limerick in a neighboring village. Not sure if it had anything to do with game dealing or anything like that. Pity really from the article they all seemed to like the deer but who knows.

Let's be honest here Slinky, you joined Boards.ie just to join in this conversation and give your tuppence worth so you're more likely to be one of the passengers on the bus or the journalist than you are likely to be a neutral observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Let's be honest here Slinky, you joined Boards.ie just to join in this conversation and give your tuppence worth so you're more likely to be one of the passengers on the bus or the journalist than you are likely to be a neutral observer.

I'm not from down there but I heard the stag had a gun . I'm not one to talk but ...... :-0

Sorry rows I actually was a boards member before but had an account on my student email account and couldn't access it to change the password because it's deactivated. Would usually pop on to read the odd soccer thread and just seen it by chance and since I had been talking to the local said I'd have a look and see what was being said. Since no one had any real info and some were looking for more just said I'd say what I had heard. Didn't realise I had to be a member for a few years to post anything. Glad to know where to go though if I need a PI...

• Advertisement

Slinky94 wrote: »
    Sorry rows I actually was a boards member before but had an account on my student email account and couldn't access it to change the password because it's deactivated. Would usually pop on to read the odd soccer thread and just seen it by chance and since I had been talking to the local said I'd have a look and see what was being said. Since no one had any real info and some were looking for more just said I'd say what I had heard. Didn't realise I had to be a member for a few years to post anything. Glad to know where to go though if I need a PI...

You don't have any real info Slinky.

Advertisement