Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post C19 Confirmed Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What does these new rules mean for racing? I assume its business as normal as long as there is spectators? By normal, I mean the rules before today's announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

MY BAD wrote: »
    What does these new rules mean for racing? I assume its business as normal as long as there is spectators? By normal, I mean the rules before today's announcement.

Clarification needed alright: "sports events and matches are reverting to ‘behind closed doors’ with no spectators allowed."

For most small road races spectators are not an issue surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I imagine it means no racing at all until there is clarification from the government and/or Athletics Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Next April lads, at the earliest.

Next April lads, at the earliest.

For what? I've raced twice in the past month :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

For what? I've raced twice in the past month :)

People here aren't on about track or XC.
    They were two men and a dog long before covid came along.

People here aren't on about track or XC.
    They were two men and a dog long before covid came along.

There has been a few road races too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Roscommon Harriers 5k series gone now too.

You can be in a bar with dozens (potentially hundreds) of people (albeit a metre apart!) for 90 mins but you can’t run a 5k race outdoors with up to 200 people.

I must admit that I just don’t get the logic here!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

"Please find the update issued by Sport Ireland last night in regard to the latest Covid advice.

Further specific details will be issued in the coming days from Sport Ireland but the good news is that we have had sign off from Sport Ireland that our Irish Life Health National Track & Field Championships can proceed as planned and training groups can continue to operate in multiple groups of 15."

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/coronavirus-covid-19-update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

The way I read it, a running event can go ahead without spectators so things like IMRA events or a road race SHOULD be fine?

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    The way I read it, a running event can go ahead without spectators so things like IMRA events or a road race SHOULD be fine?

Agreed it’s not entirely clear but it appears that no race director will take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Well the Eco Trail in September is now gone and IMRA cancelled tonight's races for the forseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

rizzee wrote: »
    Ratoath half cancelled.

I'm sure a lot more will be after todays news.

I expected it to be but no mention of it being cancelled on their own website, myrunresults, FB page or via email as I did sign up for it. Just wondering where you heard it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I expected it to be but no mention of it being cancelled on their own website, myrunresults, FB page or via email as I did sign up for it. Just wondering where you heard it, thanks

Hey, my coach got in contact with them and they told him it was cancelled. I just took his word for it.

I emailed yesterday regarding refund but no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Butterbeans

rizzee wrote: »
    Hey, my coach got in contact with them and they told him it was cancelled. I just took his word for it.

I emailed yesterday regarding refund but no reply yet.

Thanks. As I said I expect it to be cancelled anyway after yesterday's announcements.
    From recollection you'll be entitled to a refund or defer place to next years event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Dundalk 10k has now switched to just a virtual race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Very unclear how things will work for road races with the new restrictions. Max 15 suggests no racing unless the race is held inside cinema, pub or church.......... or 2 runners get married at the start line, then you can have 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

sideswipe wrote: »
    Very unclear how things will work for road races with the new restrictions. Max 15 suggests no racing unless the race is held inside cinema, pub or church.......... or 2 runners get married at the start line, then you can have 50.

Or maybe somewhere like Modello, where you can restrict entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Or maybe somewhere like Modello, where you can restrict entry.

Will be interesting to see what popupraces do when Kildare restrictions are lifted- their Thursday club seemed interesting, was about to enter when the plug was pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

sideswipe wrote: »

Or two teams of 15 as long as the teams physically tackle each other during the race. Plus 1 designated as a referee so that's 31.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 billmc12

Roscommon Harriers 5k series gone now too.

You can be in a bar with dozens (potentially hundreds) of people (albeit a metre apart!) for 90 mins but you can’t run a 5k race outdoors with up to 200 people.

I must admit that I just don’t get the logic here!

TbL

There is no logic
    Policy is designed to confuse and annoy people
    Divide and conquer
    Ultimate control by government and its backers and the wealthy and leave the masses wondering as they are now

Without protest and questioning we will keep being played , how long will people keep believing the propaganda??

On the rules...

TI have said events with up to 200 can operate till 13 Sept as normal
    ROI EVENTS UNAFFECTED
    Following consultations with Sport Ireland, Triathlon Ireland can confirm that all our sanctioned events in the Republic of Ireland may proceed as planned under the COVID-19 health protection measures issued by the Government last night (Tuesday 18th August).

This means that events with up to 200 people are permitted between August 18th and September 13th providing they abide by the strict guidelines which we have already issued and which have already been approved by the ROI Government

I hope and assume AAI can do same but they have obviously focused on Nationals first

Behind closed doors rule seems to allow events that require entry and admission to participants and officials to take place eg Seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

billmc12 wrote: »
    There is no logic
    Policy is designed to confuse and annoy people
    Divide and conquer
    Ultimate control by government and its backers and the wealthy and leave the masses wondering as they are now

Without protest and questioning we will keep being played , how long will people keep believing the propaganda??

On the rules...

TI have said events with up to 200 can operate till 13 Sept as normal
    ROI EVENTS UNAFFECTED
    Following consultations with Sport Ireland, Triathlon Ireland can confirm that all our sanctioned events in the Republic of Ireland may proceed as planned under the COVID-19 health protection measures issued by the Government last night (Tuesday 18th August).

This means that events with up to 200 people are permitted between August 18th and September 13th providing they abide by the strict guidelines which we have already issued and which have already been approved by the ROI Government

I hope and assume AAI can do same but they have obviously focused on Nationals first

Behind closed doors rule seems to allow events that require entry and admission to participants and officials to take place eg Seniors

It's such a pity life isn't like Scooby Doo and we could RIP off Bill Gates mask to reveal a shape shifting lizard.

Anyone know if East Galway AC 5k is going ahead Saturday week, looks like they’re still taking enteries

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anyone know if East Galway AC 5k is going ahead Saturday week, looks like they’re still taking enteries

TbL

Mr Lee might be a good man to ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 billmc12

TbL

Race in Cork last night , 88 people at the East Cork champs and agreed with AI so I would expect such events to be okayed once sub 200

Clarity would be good

But there is none of that about in this country at present

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Guidelines look to allow races to go ahead now

Guideline: Sporting events and matches can continue to take place behind closed doors

A behind closed doors event can include: ‘Any individual involved in the participation, running, delivery, and broadcasting (if relevant) of the event’.

The 6 indoor /15 outdoor participant restrictions do not apply to competition, events, or tournaments.

NGBs & Clubs with competition, events, tournaments planned up to September 13th 2020 should go ahead as planned with strict public health measures and protocols in place. No Spectators should attend these events.

Parents/Guardians attending in a safeguarding /supervisory capacity are not classified as a spectator however strict social distancing and public health guidelines should be adhered to at all times. In that context, one parent/guardian per child is permitted to attend at a sporting event, including a game or training session, should they consider it necessary. These provisions will be subject to strict protocols which will be issued in the coming days.

East Galway 5k going ahead :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

jnk883 wrote: »
    Guidelines look to allow races to go ahead now

Guideline: Sporting events and matches can continue to take place behind closed doors

A behind closed doors event can include: ‘Any individual involved in the participation, running, delivery, and broadcasting (if relevant) of the event’.

The 6 indoor /15 outdoor participant restrictions do not apply to competition, events, or tournaments.

NGBs & Clubs with competition, events, tournaments planned up to September 13th 2020 should go ahead as planned with strict public health measures and protocols in place. No Spectators should attend these events.

It all seems very clear that any small race (under 200) already planned for the next 2-3 weeks which observes the existing requirements should be able to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Sunday's Oylegate 10k and Half just cancelled with less than 3 days to go...

• Advertisement

echancrure wrote: »
    Sunday's Oylegate 10k and Half just cancelled with less than 3 days to go...

Unless there’s exceptional circumstances that’s just unacceptable

TbL

Advertisement