Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post C19 Confirmed Races

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Unless there’s exceptional circumstances that’s just unacceptable

TbL

From their facebook page, I reckon some local whiners were on and got the garda to pull the road closure:

thank you for your kind words. Billy Reck has been working tirelessly to try and ensure the run went ahead. Unfortunately as you say "begrudgery" is the only reason we had to postpone but we will be back in hopefully only a few short weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Nuttzz wrote: »
    From their facebook page, I reckon some local whiners were on and got the garda to pull the road closure:

thank you for your kind words. Billy Reck has been working tirelessly to try and ensure the run went ahead. Unfortunately as you say "begrudgery" is the only reason we had to postpone but we will be back in hopefully only a few short weeks.

I heard that local opposition was also part of the reason the Antrim Coast half scheduled for the 12th September starting in Larne was pulled (Reduced to elite only now).

Are small closed loops off roads (Mondello, Donadea etc.) the only solution now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wickow county 5k championships went ahead last night (less than 200 participants with full social distancing rule compliance) and it was a superbly executed event. It can be done: Results

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Makes me wonder why some races jumped the gun and cancelled. Seems like Tralee Marathon could have gone ahead with the structure they had in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Wickow county 5k championships went ahead last night (less than 200 participants with full social distancing rule compliance) and it was a superbly executed event. It can be done: Results

It was a great set up, everybody is so used to social distancing now there was no scum to get to the start line, rolling start, 4 waves all very well respected.

Saw an ad for a new initiative in the US, I wonder if it'll take off?

OYO Racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

sideswipe wrote: »
    no scum to get to the start line

Harsh thing to call your fellow runners!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It was a great set up, everybody is so used to social distancing now there was no scum to get to the start line, rolling start, 4 waves all very well respected.

Saw an ad for a new initiative in the US, I wonder if it'll take off?

OYO Racing

Jesus do you think your royalty, “there was no scum to get to the start line”...:)

I know you’ve an outdoor hot tub but go easy on the peasants:)

TbL

Jesus do you think your royalty, “there was no scum to get to the start line”...:)

I know you’ve an outdoor hot tub but go easy on the peasants:)

TbL

Ah, he’s one of those lads living in North Wicklow but pretends he’s living in South Dublin C!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Ah, he’s one of those lads living in North Wicklow but pretends he’s living in South Dublin C!!!!

Was wondering alright B, I bet he has smashed avocado for breakfast :)

TbL

Was wondering alright B, I bet he has smashed avocado for breakfast :)

TbL

Actually the maid sliced it this morning as it was a little too Al dente to smash :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Yes it was great to be back at a race and as you say, it can be done. Hopefully we will see more of them and soon.

East Galway 5k tonight, super event organised brilliantly by Popup Races.

Great buzz to run an actual race and meet other runners.

Hopefully other Clubs will start running races again soon

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Championchip Ireland have had a number of races since July in enclosed arenas like Down Royal Racecourse and EIKON Exhibition Centre. The distance range from Half Marathon to 10k and 5k and there is even a marathon planned for Sept 26th at Shanes Castle.

Check out the FB page or the web site

https://www.facebook.com/ChampionChipIre/

Championchip Ireland have had a number of races since July in enclosed arenas like Down Royal Racecourse and EIKON Exhibition Centre. The distance range from Half Marathon to 10k and 5k and there is even a marathon planned for Sept 26th at Shanes Castle.

Check out the FB page or the web site

https://www.facebook.com/ChampionChipIre/

Why come on and brag after the races took place??

The country is crazy for a race!!!

There are still races to come in the Series on Sept 5th, Sept 26th and two more planned for October on dates to be announced.

How is that to be construed as bragging?

We have had a number of runners from Donegal, Sligo, Louth, Cavan and Monaghan come along and been made to feel welcome enough that they have returned to subsequent races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Plenty of races have gone ahead here already. Ran a Full Marathon yesterday in Lilliput Adventure Center. It the third time Post lock down that they have ran a series of races. Mainly they have been Half and Full marathons. but the first event had a 5K and 10K

All guidelines have been followed at these events. Its not rocket science to run events in a safe manner for 100-200 people. Its just the potential bad press ill feeling it would cause locally for a club.

Personally I think all common sense has flown out of the window since the recent number of cases has started to rise again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

There are still races to come in the Series on Sept 5th, Sept 26th and two more planned for October on dates to be announced.

We have had a number of runners from Donegal, Sligo, Louth, Cavan and Monaghan come along and been made to feel welcome enough that they have returned to subsequent races.

Well done Glenn, great to see this another series get off the ground.

Thanks D. Nice to have another friendly reply and your support.

Got a download this evening of the entries to date and we already have 2 runners from Kilkenny, a Donegal man returning, plus 2 from Monaghan and 1 from Cavan. Plus a Scottish lady coming across on the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks D. Nice to have another friendly reply and your support.

Got a download this evening of the entries to date and we already have 2 runners from Kilkenny, a Donegal man returning, plus 2 from Monaghan and 1 from Cavan. Plus a Scottish lady coming across on the ferry.

Any details on your marathon, maybe a course map?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Any details on your marathon, maybe a course map?

Its a 2 lap route through the Shanes Castle estate on the side of Lough Neagh Co Antrim. Relatively flat, mostly tarmac and concrete roads but a few sections on gravel.

It loops in places so that there is a spot you pass 4 times for your water bottles at 4 miles, 7 miles, 17 miles and 20 miles.

Email me on championchipireland@googlemail.com and I will send you a route map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

ger664 wrote: »

All guidelines have been followed at these events. Its not rocket science to run events in a safe manner for 100-200 people. Its just the potential bad press ill feeling it would cause locally for a club.

Personally I think all common sense has flown out of the window since the recent number of cases has started to rise again.

Athletics Ireland issued an update today, hopefully we will start to see more small local events as a result.
    Athletics Ireland can confirm that any permitted road racing events with up to 200 participants can proceed under the current government guidelines. However, please ensure all Covid protocols are followed and that the event is advertised as a closed event with no spectators and please include strategies to prevent groups forming during the event.

Kildare lockdown lifted, hopefully PopupRaces will get their races back in Mondello. Most of the issues with races being cancelled seem to be with access to public roads for events.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Great to hear this! Well done to those getting these races on safely. Where would I be able go hear about the October events? Looking desperately for a half marathon somewhere: :) thanks a mil!

Just announced a new half marathon at Down Royal near Lisburn on Oct 10th. Flat and fast and traffic free.

Hoping for a full marathon in same area but different location in late October.

https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures/ChampionChip-Ireland-Running-Series

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Just announced a new half marathon at Down Royal near Lisburn on Oct 10th. Flat and fast and traffic free.

Hoping for a full marathon in same area but different location in late October.

https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures/ChampionChip-Ireland-Running-Series[/quote

Fantastic- thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

The Causeway Coast ultra, marathon, half, 10k and walk opened for registration yesterday. Due to take place on Saturday 26th September 2020. I don't see it mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I expected it to be but no mention of it being cancelled on their own website, myrunresults, FB page or via email as I did sign up for it. Just wondering where you heard it, thanks

Email received & refund applied. Rescheduled Ratoath half is on the 5th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Is there a current list of what is going ahead - or is it worth having a list with so many being cancelled close the date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lovely venue. Should do one on the beach some evening

Advertisement