Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rooper

I went with Dr. Nel and it was an excellent experience. It was 8K euro for 2K grafts (dearer than some but way cheaper than Blackrock, seemed like the best balance of price/quality) but he actually goes way above and did 2.3somethingK grafts during the surgery for the same price. During the initial consultation he doesn't do the salesman routine and just gives very good advice in general (even on how to prevent future hair loss) and leaves it up to you. He actually talked me out of getting the crown done as well (as it wasn't too bad), which would have netted him more money, and said that the treatments and medications he recommended would restore some of it anyway (already seeing results from that). The day itself was very easy, him and his staff are very friendly and easy going. You chill and watch Netflix and don't feel a thing. I'm 2 months after now and have experienced zero shock loss. In fact my head looks fuller instead as a decent amount of the transplanted hairs didn't shed. I'll post again when the rested follicles grow back, but in the meantime don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that's on the fence. If you don't have the money up front he has a payment scheme to pay it monthly with zero interest. Also once the scabs fall out and before the transplanted hairs fall out you can see the exact job they did. I got asked for ID in the supermarket despite the fact I'm in my 40's. I couldn't imagine Blackrock or anywhere else positioning them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

^ any before/after pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

It's worth reiterating that a hair transplant cannot in any way be deemed a success until at least 6 months afterwards, typically 12 months.

And this is just my IMO but the way new posters pop up here describing their experiences with Dr. Nel and asking Dr. Nel related questions quite frequently, seems a little off to me, no disrespect to rooper intended, but let's just say having followed hair transplantation for over 20 years I have a healthy cynicism about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I got my hair done by Dr Emrah Cinik in Istanbul a month ago. I could say almost all the same things as Rooper - more grafts than planned, good advice, great service, smooth post op etc - however I have deliberately held off sharing my experience in any detail as yet because as Gentleman Off The Pitch notes, it's all completely moot until enough time has passed to see the proper results.

Again, nothing against you Rooper but I feel it's fair comment that people going for this procedure are doing so looking at the next 2 or 3 decades and not the next 2 or 3 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Monokne wrote: »
    I got my hair done by Dr Emrah Cinik in Istanbul a month ago. I could say almost all the same things as Rooper - more grafts than planned, good advice, great service, smooth post op etc - however I have deliberately held off sharing my experience in any detail as yet because as Gentleman Off The Pitch notes, it's all completely moot until enough time has passed to see the proper results.

Again, nothing against you Rooper but I feel it's fair comment that people going for this procedure are doing so looking at the next 2 or 3 decades and not the next 2 or 3 months!

Anything you could share on your experience to date? Cost, logistics, service received?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

It's worth reiterating that a hair transplant cannot in any way be deemed a success until at least 6 months afterwards, typically 12 months.

And this is just my IMO but the way new posters pop up here describing their experiences with Dr. Nel and asking Dr. Nel related questions quite frequently, seems a little off to me, no disrespect to rooper intended, but let's just say having followed hair transplantation for over 20 years I have a healthy cynicism about these things.

Can you tell me about what you've seen over the past 20 years? I've been trying to get as broad a perspective as possible on hair transplantation. YouTube never really tells the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

rooper wrote: »
    I went with Dr. Nel and it was an excellent experience. It was 8K euro for 2K grafts (dearer than some but way cheaper than Blackrock, seemed like the best balance of price/quality) but he actually goes way above and did 2.3somethingK grafts during the surgery for the same price. During the initial consultation he doesn't do the salesman routine and just gives very good advice in general (even on how to prevent future hair loss) and leaves it up to you. He actually talked me out of getting the crown done as well (as it wasn't too bad), which would have netted him more money, and said that the treatments and medications he recommended would restore some of it anyway (already seeing results from that). The day itself was very easy, him and his staff are very friendly and easy going. You chill and watch Netflix and don't feel a thing. I'm 2 months after now and have experienced zero shock loss. In fact my head looks fuller instead as a decent amount of the transplanted hairs didn't shed. I'll post again when the rested follicles grow back, but in the meantime don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that's on the fence. If you don't have the money up front he has a payment scheme to pay it monthly with zero interest. Also once the scabs fall out and before the transplanted hairs fall out you can see the exact job they did. I got asked for ID in the supermarket despite the fact I'm in my 40's. I couldn't imagine Blackrock or anywhere else positioning them better.

Is this 100% true? As I have said before in this thread, I found the injections into the scalp to be incredibly painful. Are you saying that you did not feel the injections into the scalp?

Anything you could share on your experience to date? Cost, logistics, service received?

Absolutely.

Their website is www.emrahcinik.com, I went with the basic package and I paid for the needle free anaesthesia. I have a friend who got his hair done last year and said the needles were agony - put bluntly I don't see how they wouldn't be! I find tattoos really sore so perhaps my pain threshold is fairly low.

I flew into Istanbul SAW and had a lift waiting for me at the airport. I was staying at the Elysium hotel in Istanbul and for whatever reason (COVID? Dunno) the hotel itself upgraded my room so I had a big room where the bedroom was upstairs overlooking living room & kitchen.

I was picked up morning of my transplant and brought to the hospital. It's a big building, 5 or 6 floors, and I was immediately struck by the routine of it all. First you go into a room and get your blood taken, then you go to another floor and another room where they've a photographer taking the 'before' pics. Then I went up to the third floor where Dr Cinik consults with you and plans out your new hairline. After that you get your head shaved in another room and then lastly up to the next floor where the procedure takes place.

The needle free anaesthesia is a cream of sorts and they sort of shoot you with it. Bear in mind I was face down so couldn't see how it was done. It's hard to describe. It's like someone flicking you really hard, sort of like being smacked with an elastic band. It is sore but not painful, doesn't bruise you or hurt for more than a second. The worst part is the second or two beforehand when you know it's coming. Then they started the real work. I lay face down on what was like a massage table while they took the hair from the back of my head. That was uncomfortable but you can't really feel much. That probably took an hour and a half or so. We stopped then so I could eat - when I had to sit up and that I felt fairly woozy. They were very big on me having breakfast beforehand and eating my lunch. Then I lay on my back while the transplanted hair was put into the front of my head (I was just improving my hairline so not too extensive and all in one spot). This took another maybe 2 hours.

They had picked me up at 8am and I was back in my hotel by 230pm. I got 2150 grafts, the initial plan was 1800.

Like Rooper I'd also discussed getting my crown done and the doctor said it was unnecessary, that perhaps with saw palmetto etc I won't need it. Call me a cynic but I couldn't help but wonder if he is hoping he sees me back over in 5 years with a bald crown :D

I slept for about 4 or 5 hours but once the anaesthetic wore off I was a bit tender up top and broadly speaking groggy. They ask you to sleep on your back with your head on a neck pillow for a week to protect the hair. I couldn't manage that personally. No matter what I turn over in my sleep!

They brought me back the next day to remove the bandages and have a look at it, and on the third day to give me my first wash.

The thing I was most impressed by was how clean and smooth the whole thing was. It's like a hair factory.

They checked on me about 10 days afterward and were happy with how it looked.

Again, it's important to note that ultimately my experience is immaterial unless I have my new hairline next year. I'll update as it grows!

Package I went for:
    EhLIeK9XkAEZPJR?format=jpg&name=medium

This is the lobby of the hospital, a pic just after it was done and then 2 weeks later, excuse the spam people. I don't know how to make the pics smaller!

EhLQluTX0AUJXH1?format=jpg&name=large
    EhLQluQWAAEK5VC?format=jpg&name=large
    EhLQluJXkAE0eD2?format=png&name=900x900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Thanks! Very interesting for me as it is one of 3 clinics I shortlisted. How much of the procedure was done by the Dr. Cinik himself? It appears the more you pay, the more work he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Apologies if there’s been much discussion on this already as there’s 47 pages to go through, and I know the OP had some gyno issues but out of the people who have actually taken Finasteride, have many of you actually had issues? I know there’s loads of stuff online and people have posted videos but I would like to hear from people who have actually taken the medication.

Secondly, has anyone taken loniten? Any thoughts on this medication?

Thanks! Very interesting for me as it is one of 3 clinics I shortlisted. How much of the procedure was done by the Dr. Cinik himself? It appears the more you pay, the more work he does.

If you pay an extra €500 he 'opens the canals' - otherwise there's another doctor who does. He actually did mine though I didn't request it. I guess it's an important part of the procedureThe rest is done by the technicians. They all seemed very experienced and professional.

Apologies if there’s been much discussion on this already as there’s 47 pages to go through, and I know the OP had some gyno issues but out of the people who have actually taken Finasteride, have many of you actually had issues? I know there’s loads of stuff online and people have posted videos but I would like to hear from people who have actually taken the medication.

Secondly, has anyone taken loniten? Any thoughts on this medication?

I took finasteride for a year a few years ago. Had no side effects. Back on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Sorry to derail the thread but does anyone have a clinic they would recommend for FUE? Hoping to get it done within the next few months and i just find it bizarre that Dr Nel recommendations always pop up and from new accounts so i am a wary they are fakes.

Who would you recommend? Not a big job, budget is 6k max.

Sorry to derail the thread but does anyone have a clinic they would recommend for FUE? Hoping to get it done within the next few months and i just find it bizarre that Dr Nel recommendations always pop up and from new accounts so i am a wary they are fakes.

Are you looking to do it here or abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Are you looking to do it here or abroad?

Here, i'm leaning towards the Ailesbury clinic atm after looking at some posts and reviews.
    My hair is not in too bad condition, temples need restoring but still have density and crown is in good shape so hoping it won't be a big job. If i could get it for 6k i'd be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dr. Nel has a good reputation and people who go to him are generally happy. I'm not sure if I can recall many, if any, negative reviews about him. He is a little on the pricier side, but thats also probably to do with the fact that he performs most/all the surgeries himself.

Ailesbury also has a good reputation and people who go there are generally happy, though I think Dr. Nel's customers are happier overall. It's generally cheaper than Dr. Nel also.

The big difference between the two for me is what they prescribe for after care treatment. Dr. Nel prescribes finesteride, Ailesbury prescribe Saw Palmetto. I think this argument and to a lesser extent price should be the main reasons for choosing one or the other. The Saw has no known side effects, but is probably less effective than the fin which has known side effects that effect roughly 1-5% of people ? natural remedy versus chemical. Chemical there's always more of a risk than natural in generally all walks of life.

No matter who you go to for your surgery, you are going to HAVE to take some form of DHT blocker to try and keep the rest of your hair, so its important you weigh up the pros and cons of both. For me, I love sex way too much and I really didnt want to risk growing man boobs to risk the fin.... But thats a personal choice for me. Everyone is different and 95-99% of people report no problems on the Fin. I just know with my luck, I'd be in the small percentage bracket lol

Finally, both places are performing surgeries 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 300 days a year (I know Ailesbury take a month off at some point of the year) - if one of them was giving terrible surgeries, everyone would be hearing about it and they wouldnt be in existence, so 99% of the time, they are doing at worst, good jobs and at best, great jobs. Just gotta go with whichever one feels right for you.

Take a consultation in both places is my advice. No matter what it costs, they are an investment in obtaining knowledge that no amount of researching will do for you

I'd be more worried about the almost unanimous 5 star ratings on google for Ailesbury - majority of these from accounts with 1 or 2 reviews. Maybe they are that good. Only way you're going to know is by meeting past patients of the clinic.

Rikand wrote: »
    Dr. Nel has a good reputation and people who go to him are generally happy. I'm not sure if I can recall many, if any, negative reviews about him. He is a little on the pricier side, but thats also probably to do with the fact that he performs most/all the surgeries himself.

Ailesbury also has a good reputation and people who go there are generally happy, though I think Dr. Nel's customers are happier overall. It's generally cheaper than Dr. Nel also.

The big difference between the two for me is what they prescribe for after care treatment. Dr. Nel prescribes finesteride, Ailesbury prescribe Saw Palmetto. I think this argument and to a lesser extent price should be the main reasons for choosing one or the other. The Saw has no known side effects, but is probably less effective than the fin which has known side effects that effect roughly 1-5% of people ? natural remedy versus chemical. Chemical there's always more of a risk than natural in generally all walks of life.

No matter who you go to for your surgery, you are going to HAVE to take some form of DHT blocker to try and keep the rest of your hair, so its important you weigh up the pros and cons of both. For me, I love sex way too much and I really didnt want to risk growing man boobs to risk the fin.... But thats a personal choice for me. Everyone is different and 95-99% of people report no problems on the Fin. I just know with my luck, I'd be in the small percentage bracket lol

Finally, both places are performing surgeries 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 300 days a year (I know Ailesbury take a month off at some point of the year) - if one of them was giving terrible surgeries, everyone would be hearing about it and they wouldnt be in existence, so 99% of the time, they are doing at worst, good jobs and at best, great jobs. Just gotta go with whichever one feels right for you.

Take a consultation in both places is my advice. No matter what it costs, they are an investment in obtaining knowledge that no amount of researching will do for you

Awful lot of sense in this, especially the part in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

I'd be more worried about the almost unanimous 5 star ratings on google for Ailesbury - majority of these from accounts with 1 or 2 reviews. Maybe they are that good. Only way you're going to know is by meeting past patients of the clinic.

I think the reason why accounts are new with only 1 or 2 reviews is that people dont want to be identifiable. Noting strange about guys not wanting to advertise that they had a procedure done. After my transplant with Ailesbury I was asked to leave a review on Google. Iam very happy with what I had done but just didnt get around to setting up a new google acc for the review. I have posted before and after pics here of my transplant for anyone to see because boards is not the same as close associates reading my google reviews.

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »
    I think the reason why accounts are new with only 1 or 2 reviews is that people dont want to be identifiable. Noting strange about guys not wanting to advertise that they had a procedure done. After my transplant with Ailesbury I was asked to leave a review on Google. Iam very happy with what I had done but just didnt get around to setting up a new google acc for the review. I have posted before and after pics here of my transplant for anyone to see because boards is not the same as close associates reading my google reviews.

Good to know - and I guess if there was a dodgy outfit in the market in Ireland we'd have known about it by now.

Do people really still want to be secretive about it? So common these days, plus it's not like everyone can't tell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Do people really still want to be secretive about it? So common these days, plus it's not like everyone can't tell anyway.

Yes they do. Look two pages back post #519.
    He went to the trouble of setting up extra accounts on boards just to post about his second transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

I think this is beginning to change though thankfully.

In the past men were somewhat secretive about admitting to having had a hair transplant but as men's attitudes began to change regarding self care and appearance, men are becoming more open about treatments (and rightly so in my opinion).

Recently Jimmy Carr announced that he'd had a transplant and Tubes from Soccer AM just announced that he had one done.

I saw someone mention that it is becoming a bit like tattoo's now where it's nothing to be ashamed of (for the younger readers, in the olden days tattoo's were looked down on in a lot of society before becoming commonplace like today).

Long may this continue, if thinning or loss of hair upsets someone and they want to take steps to address it, more power to them I say.

My own hair loss completely destroyed my confidence. I couldn't even look in the mirror at myself most of the time or I'd do it, but at angles where I couldn't see my hair. I actually became very skilled at avoiding looking at my own reflection lol.

Since getting my hair done, my confidence is back. I still find myself avoiding the mirror occasionally, but old habits die hard lol.

I'm very happy with the hairline i got, but i wish it was more dense in the front portion behind the hairline. Would rate myself as having got a good job, but not a great job. My wife reckons it's okay, but my parents and sister think its brilliant.

Have my 10 month consultancy coming up so I'll see what the before and after really looks like. I never took any photos myself pre op because I couldn't even look at those lol

My own hair loss completely destroyed my confidence. I couldn't even look in the mirror at myself most of the time or I'd do it, but at angles where I couldn't see my hair. I actually became very skilled at avoiding looking at my own reflection lol.

Since getting my hair done, my confidence is back. I still find myself avoiding the mirror occasionally, but old habits die hard lol.

I'm very happy with the hairline i got, but i wish it was more dense in the front portion behind the hairline. Would rate myself as having got a good job, but not a great job. My wife reckons it's okay, but my parents and sister think its brilliant.

Have my 10 month consultancy coming up so I'll see what the before and after really looks like. I never took any photos myself pre op because I couldn't even look at those lol

You may not see a full result for 18 months so there may be more development to come. Hair loss can be devastating especially for younger men. Did you go to a clinic here or abroad?

You may not see a full result for 18 months so there may be more development to come. Hair loss can be devastating especially for younger men. Did you go to a clinic here or abroad?

I went to Ailesbury. I would recommend them to anyone. As you said, still plenty of growth potential there. I am happy with my result so far..... but I could be happier lol :D

We are always our own worst critics man, I am sure it looks top notch. :D

This is the lobby of the hospital, a pic just after it was done and then 2 weeks later, excuse the spam people. I don't know how to make the pics smaller!

EhLQluTX0AUJXH1?format=jpg&name=large
    EhLQluQWAAEK5VC?format=jpg&name=large
    EhLQluJXkAE0eD2?format=png&name=900x900

Look great man. I had plans to go with Cinik earlier this year but put it off do to Covid. I might do it in new year when I have more annual leave. My hairline is very same as yours. Can I ask did you go over on your own and if so how did you find the experience on your own?

• Advertisement

Look great man. I had plans to go with Cinik earlier this year but put it off do to Covid. I might do it in new year when I have more annual leave. My hairline is very same as yours. Can I ask did you go over on your own and if so how did you find the experience on your own?

I did go on my own and I was happy to have done so. They took very good care of me and for me, when I am in a bit of discomfort like I was afterward, I'd rather be left alone.

I would note that I am a fairly confident traveller and have travelled on my own a good few times. But this is easy really. They literally pick you up at the airport and from that point there's nowhere you have to go that you aren't picked up and dropped back. The hotels they use are very central so there's loads of restaurants and a few local shops within 5 minutes of you. I stocked the hotel room up with bread and crisps and junk just in case I wanted to eat and I didn't want to be going out, plus the hotel did room service which was very nice, and cheap enough (6 or 7 quid for a burger & chips).

If there are any specifics you want to know or any detail you'd like, shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in. :)

Advertisement