Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Words fail me.

You don’t see any issue with their handling of Irish customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

ronivek wrote: »
    Fulfilment is how Amazon refers to the process of getting an item "out for delivery". They still call it delivery once it leaves the warehouse.

No, Fulfilment is what they call the whole thing. And you were the one calling the whole thing delivery until now, not me. They call that shipping. So I am using their terms.
    How do you think An Post receives items from Amazon for delivery in Ireland? How do you think those items arrive to your door with only a single An Post tracking sticker on it and nothing else? How do you think Amazon can provide you with an An Post tracking number before the item even shows up on An Post's website?

I hate argument by question.
    Because they're involved from the moment you place an order which will be delivered via An Post.

Well that is what you say but it isnt my experience. I have a tracking number for Royal Mail right now on an order shipping to Dublin. An have just gone to Royal Mail tracking to put in the Amazon number and it worked. I expected it to as the initial two letters were RY

This is what Royal Mail say.

We're expecting it
    Tracking no. RYXXXXXXX

The sender has let us know this item will be with us soon.

This took about 2 weeks to dispatch.

I personally dont care that much because when I see delays that I care about, I just route via belfast. However your argument is definitely wrong in this case, and probably in all cases.

ronivek wrote: »
    Fulfilment is how Amazon refers to the process of getting an item "out for delivery". They still call it delivery once it leaves the warehouse.

How do you think An Post receives items from Amazon for delivery in Ireland? How do you think those items arrive to your door with only a single An Post tracking sticker on it and nothing else? How do you think Amazon can provide you with an An Post tracking number before the item even shows up on An Post's website? Because they're involved from the moment you place an order which will be delivered via An Post.

Don’t be so naive. I can go on to An Post or Royal Mail and get a tracking number right now but until I give the item to them they don’t know about it. Amazon or anyone for that matter can also arrange postage labels with An Post but An Post cannot deliver until they receive the package (i.e. until Amazon dispatch it to them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Suppose you’re happy to have others take advantage of you?

Hand sanitiser on Amazon won’t ship to Ireland. Kept for UK customers. Face masks too. Should we have equal access or just accept that we are Irish and are deserving to be trampled on?

Millions of items aren't currently shipping to Ireland. Stuff I've found includes tablecloths, castors for furniture, fabric dye, nail strengthener, printer ink, silicone pastry mat, lipsticks... obviously not all of every item but examples I've looked at. In some cases I got different variants on Amazon, some I've used parcel motel for and I've gotten a fair few bits on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

I'm finding a lot of the items i've ordered recently are no longer delivering to Ireland now OR they have ridiculous delivery costs attached to them even with my Prime account.

I've contacted sellers about this and they told me they would follow up with Amazon as they handled the shipping costs. I've contacted Amazon customer support and they've told me they would pass this information onto the relevant department.

It seems like an algorithm is put in place and when something costs a certain amount to ship outside the UK they now either mark it as non deliverable to Ireland or slap enormous postage costs on. Very underhanded, it's not all items either, just some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

timetogo1 wrote: »

Yep, people are easily annoyed.
    Not annoyed in the slightest. Don't confuse my bemusement for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lads I tried to buy a flamethrower and machine gun and they said that they don't ship to Ireland ,

Like come on now lads what's that all about

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭robinbird

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

Multivitamins. You do know that all the science says that they are pointless placebos. They are also something you can buy in any shop. Why or earth would someone order them online from another country during a pandemic.
    Not essential you guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Amazon has gone to ****e since before the covid , large influx of chineses vendors , no consistent supplys
    takes ages to find stuff, and even then may not be delivered to ireland

id rate it 9 out of ten 18months ago now id give it 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

robinbird wrote: »
    Multivitamins. You do know that all the science says that they are pointless placebos.

wrong , try again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Amazon has gone to ****e since before the covid , large influx of chineses vendors , no consistent supplys
    takes ages to find stuff, and even then may not be delivered to ireland

id rate it 9 out of ten 18months ago now id give it 6

Agreed re the Chinese sh1te.

- Do a search for Lego or Lego Ferrari for example and they embed ‘sponsored’ results of fake LEGO sets along with other crap toys from Chinese firms.

Do a search for hair trimmers, trainers, anything, the amount of Chinese crap is ridiculous, some sponsored, some not. The ‘Supplied By’ is usually some random English words or letters but the business name and address are unmistakably Chinese.

A search for Nike Trainers for men included a pair from ‘soulsfeng’ with flowers on them, FFS.

No thanks, I didn’t visit amazon to buy Chinese tat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wrong , try again

Is it though?

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/is-there-really-any-benefit-to-multivitamins

Essentually they have no signifficant impact on your health and all you are really doing is spending money to make expensive pee.

if you eat right you won't have to waste money on multivitamins, there are no shortcuts in health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Health Sciences forum for that debate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

I stopped buying off amazon. An example, was going to buy an item recently, a wet suit repair kit. But got it from a surf shop here in Ireland and it was cheaper from the local shop and only took 2 days to deliver. I'm avoiding them from now on. Google prioritises them in search results, but click on a non amazon result and a lot of the time you'll get your items quicker and sometimes cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

People are asking where the consumer issue is here.....I tried to cancel my Prime subscription last night as this 2 week delay for Irish dispatch was annoying me. The support agents said I could cancel but that I would not get a refund on my remaing subscription balance.

I pointed out that prime membership advertises a 2 day delivery on prime items to Ireland. They went dark, no response.

If this was a Covid related issue then fair enough but it's not, it is them looking at Irish orders and putting them to back of the queue, something they could change if they wanted. Even though they sold prime saying 2 day delivery to Ireland on prime items. They will not refund me the balance of my prime subscription cost and choose not to meet their commitment.

/Edit: worth noting they are still advertising prime as 2 day delivery to Ireland for prime items, so that it total bull.

• Advertisement

Sconsey wrote: »
    People are asking where the consumer issue is here.....I tried to cancel my Prime subscription last night as this 2 week delay for Irish dispatch was annoying me. The support agents said I could cancel but that I would not get a refund on my remaing subscription balance.

I pointed out that prime membership advertises a 2 day delivery on prime items to Ireland. They went dark, no response.

If this was a Covid related issue then fair enough but it's not, it is them looking at Irish orders and putting them to back of the queue, something they could change if they wanted. Even though they sold prime saying 2 day delivery to Ireland on prime items. They will not refund me the balance of my prime subscription cost and choose not to meet their commitment.

/Edit: worth noting they are still advertising prime as 2 day delivery to Ireland for prime items, so that it total bull.

Thank you. Others are commenting without actually reading the issue here.

Also for those saying you can just buy things in local shops - not everyone in Ireland lives in cities or towns and depend, especially now, on buying these essentials online (I don’t care what article you present claiming otherwise - I suspect you also doubt the science on climate change). Try get multivitamins in rural Ireland villages.

The issue here isn’t what I am buying - it is that amazon are not treating all orders the same. Shouldn’t be that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ok.

So I know COVID is affecting many business and disrupting many supply chains etc. Amazon even said they are prioritising essential products and others will be delayed. Fair enough. I am signed up to Prime and my 2 day delivery can wait.

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

Out of sheer curiosity, I checked to see how long it would take to send to DPD parcel wizard in the north. 2 days - oh. Then I check AddressPal in the UK, next day delivery.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

Yes certainly in no rush to deliver to us,took 10 days via prime recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

dingding wrote: »
    My experience is that An Post deliver the parcels very quickly and often make several attempts to deliver in a single day. They must be on some sort of measurable target, and I only live less than 1Km from the regional sorting office.

The delay seems to be getting to the item being picked in Amazon and placed in a box.

Standard service for priority signed for service is 2nd attempt in the evening and 3rd attempt the next day. Only after 3rd attempt is "we missed you notice" put in.

Applies to all signed for parcels.

Saturday service in urban areas also now standard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Thank you. Others are commenting without actually reading the issue here.

Also for those saying you can just buy things in local shops - not everyone in Ireland lives in cities or towns and depend, especially now, on buying these essentials online (I don’t care what article you present claiming otherwise - I suspect you also doubt the science on climate change). Try get multivitamins in rural Ireland villages.

The issue here isn’t what I am buying - it is that amazon are not treating all orders the same. Shouldn’t be that way.

Holland and Barret!!

johnmck wrote: »
    Holland and Barret!!

Are they in most rural villages in Ireland? Do they deliver for free?

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I had contacted customer service yesterday because I was unhappy with the service. I could have cancelled Prime but decided to give them a chance to come up with a solution first, as I've spent nearly a grand this year in total on Amazon. They conceded that delivery times were outside the expected timescale and refunded me 3 months worth of Prime subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why don't you order your sh1t in time OP? People are so fcuking demanding, I see the same over in Motor's someone orders a new Car and start screaming at the Dealer if it's not there on time...

If it bothers you that much stop using Amazon or contact them about it..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why don't you order your sh1t in time OP? People are so fcuking demanding, I see the same over in Motor's someone orders a new Car and start screaming at the Dealer if it's not there on time...

If it bothers you that much stop using Amazon or contact them about it..

Why dont you read before posting? nothing to do with ordering in time. It's to do with selling a service and then not delivering that service.

Why dont you read before posting? nothing to do with ordering in time. It's to do with selling a service and then not delivering that service.

I did read it, you are told your delivery date before payment so if you don't like that buy it elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I did read it, you are told your delivery date before payment so if you don't like that buy it elsewhere...

There is nothing wrong with telling a company you're not happy with a service.
    If enough people do, or enough people move to other companies they might improve the service.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with telling a company you're not happy with a service.
    If enough people do, or enough people move to other companies they might improve the service.

Indeed and Amazon deal with complaints very well!

If you did read it you don't comprehend it....Amazon are selling a prime service that promises two day delivery on prime items. But they are not meeting that promise. Irish people have been sold a service that Amazon are not delivering, and Amazon continue to advertise and sell this service.

And on top of that when I try to cancel my subscription and get a refund they are denying the refund.

So they have advertised and sold a service to Irish people, they are not not delivering the service and they are refusing to return the money paid for the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I complained to Amazon and asked for a couple of extra months on my prime account. the response was they wouldn't extend a free prime account. Turns out they refunded us in november but left the account active!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

johnmck wrote: »
    I stopped buying off amazon. An example, was going to buy an item recently, a wet suit repair kit. But got it from a surf shop here in Ireland and it was cheaper from the local shop and only took 2 days to deliver. I'm avoiding them from now on. Google prioritises them in search results, but click on a non amazon result and a lot of the time you'll get your items quicker and sometimes cheaper

TBH and fair most local places are much more expensive ,I'd love to shop local always but we're being ripped off here for decades
    I drive a hybrid and can get Honda green oil etc delivered e18 cheaper from the UK ,
    Went so far a few years back to call every motor factors in Cork and asked each to price match or even near it all said no.
    Got a 2in 1 air conditioning pipe for an Opel delivered, fitted and gassed up for 468 punts
    Nearest price I got from 4 local garages in Cork ranged from e1100 to 1250
    ( One a main dealer in Douglas
    Other a garage in the Woolen mills)
    Total rip off merchants
    Sent all relevant information and dockets etc to Corks 96 FM at the time.

PS the 468 total price might be out by 30 punts, was about 22 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Just had reason to contact Amazon customer care again as one book we bought as part of a boxset of books was faulty (the pages were never glued into it), the other books were fine, i wanted to replace just the faulty book.

i was just told that Amazon are not responsible for replacing/refunding items sold "fulfilled by Amazon" or sold using "Prime" that they are 3rd party items and you have to deal with the 3rd party and not amazon...

this cannot be right can it? i bought it from Amazon and paid Amazon and made sure it was fulfilled by Amazon.

• Advertisement

Gru wrote: »
    Just had reason to contact Amazon customer care again as one book we bought as part of a boxset of books was faulty (the pages were never glued into it), the other books were fine, i wanted to replace just the faulty book.

i was just told that Amazon are not responsible for replacing/refunding items sold "fulfilled by Amazon" or sold using "Prime" that they are 3rd party items and you have to deal with the 3rd party and not amazon...

this cannot be right can it? i bought it from Amazon and paid Amazon and made sure it was fulfilled by Amazon.

I’d contact Amazon again through their live chat. Your contract is with them.

Many times it really depends on the agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’d agree though, Amazon Prime in Ireland is a complete joke. There’s little point in it for shopping anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Funnily enough, I had contacted customer service yesterday because I was unhappy with the service. I could have cancelled Prime but decided to give them a chance to come up with a solution first, as I've spent nearly a grand this year in total on Amazon. They conceded that delivery times were outside the expected timescale and refunded me 3 months worth of Prime subscription.

Did you phone or use chat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Caranica wrote: »
    I've had to send two things to parcel motel this week as they were on the ever growing list of things that no seller is sending to Ireland these days.

Part of a mixed order and the delay on the stuff going to NI is the same as to Ireland.

Be very careful with Parcel Motel.
    I recently sent a parcel with them from Limerick to Dublin--it took 13 Days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I’d agree though, Amazon Prime in Ireland is a complete joke. There’s little point in it for shopping anyway.

The only as advantage is free delivery.
    I ordered some thermometers this morning. To ship here was June 11. I'll have them in the DPD warehouse in NI on 2 June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

My brother in law lives in the North and I sent him a link to a hair clippers which we both bought at the exact same time. He had it the next day and I cancelled my order after 18 days when it still hadn't been dispatched. I got it in Argos when they reopened for a cheaper price. I cancelled Prime as what is the point in paying £7 a month for such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Is anyone having any luck getting shipments faster using addresspal/ parcel motel?

keithb93 wrote: »
    Is anyone having any luck getting shipments faster using addresspal/ parcel motel?

Yes, next day delivery to AddressPal. Shame it costs €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Yes, next day delivery to AddressPal. Shame it costs €7.

Are there any delays with an post? I tried to source items locally but most items are significantly more expensive in the shops here so I can deal with 7 euro extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(I haven't read all pages here, in case already answered)

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post. AMZL(Amazon Logistics) truck everything to AnPost from the DS/FC in the UK. An Post are a proxy delivery station for Amazon here. Amazon has had to scale up hugely internationally to deal with this load ["Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) intends to keep the majority of the 175,000 employees it brought on during the COVID-19 pandemic,"] in FC/DSs. Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

AP still operate like a state body, rapid change of this degree was never going to be possible for them. Won't matter, as soon a Amazon get their Dublin DS setup they'll most likely change to AMZL for last mile and AP will be bankrupt in a week (AP only make money on their parcel services).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’m waiting 4 weeks on an item sent by UPS by amazon!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ED E wrote: »

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post. AMZL(Amazon Logistics) truck everything to AnPost from the DS/FC in the UK. An Post are a proxy delivery station for Amazon here. Amazon has had to scale up hugely internationally to deal with this load ["Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) intends to keep the majority of the 175,000 employees it brought on during the COVID-19 pandemic,"] in FC/DSs. Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

Nope, the majority of the "choke point" IS on amazon's end at the picking stage, though an post are not without blame either as their delivery times have slipped.

Amazon at the moment are taking a week+ to ship prime orders, once they've shipped it's quite easy to follow the truck load of orders from, eg, Saint Helens, Merseyside GB to DMC/Ballymount where they're delivered in about 3 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AP still operate like a state body, rapid change of this degree was never going to be possible for them. Won't matter, as soon a Amazon get their Dublin DS setup they'll most likely change to AMZL for last mile and AP will be bankrupt in a week (AP only make money on their parcel services).

An Post will raise the price os a stamp to €4 and wonder why no-one uses the post any more. While paying their directors massive wedges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The choke point isn't Amazon, its An Post.

Pretty much most of my orders look similar to this. I've attached a screenshot of the Amazon tracking.

That was ordered on 6th May.
    Shipped from Swansea on 16th May.
    Arrived at my house on 18th May.

I've checked a few orders. Pretty much once they ship it takes two days to get to the house.

This is a first world problem. I'm old enough to remember when everything used to have a 28 day shipping time :)
    But still, the point of this thread is that they spend a week or two waiting to get shipped when an Irish address is entered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I placed an order from Amazon to my address in Ireland on 20th May.

Item A dispatched with an An Post Tracking number on 27th May, delivered on 2nd June.

Item B dispatched on 22nd May via Royal Mail with no tracking 'to give you a quicker service'. Still no sign of it. Customer service were unhelpful and tried to fob me off by claiming I would get a separate email with a tracking number, before admitting there was none. Tried to contact them via chat again and am being told to wait another three days. I don't mind the wait but would have appreciate a tracking number so I could at least see where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The choke point actually seems to be Amazon's capacity on the ferries to Dublin. Once ingested to An Post its taking the same amount of time as normal.

Note that the people using the Addresspal route are still using An Post for the last stage delivery once on the Island of Ireland and that's not having any issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Have AnPost doubled their staff in the DMC/Ballymount? F no they haven't.

The depot in in Ballymount ( Merrywell ) was shut last year when they opened their new parcel centre beside the DMC .

Merrywell has now reopened and deliveries are also being done directly from the parcel centres

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

just use Parcel Motel i use it a lot and never delayed as a matter of fact ordered an item on last Sunday delivered yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

spatchco wrote: »
    just use Parcel Motel i use it a lot and never delayed as a matter of fact ordered an item on last Sunday delivered yesterday

I ordered 2 items to parcel motel last Tuesday and still haven't arrived in parcel motel nearly ten days later. All dispatched on order day

spatchco wrote: »

And pay an extra €4 per delivery, on top of my prime membership? No thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement