Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Amazon is quite welcome to discriminate against Irish customers. And will do more off it as Brexit solidifies.

They are currently building a fulfillment centre in Greenogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I put in an order last night at 11pm to my Irish address and it was dispatched an hour ago. It was items for kids so maybe it got prioritised?

I've prime the only thing of note was the only delivery option was prime standard instead of express

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Amazon is quite welcome to discriminate against Irish customers. And will do more off it as Brexit solidifies.

Pretty sure they’re operating out of an Irish warehouse already.

I’m getting some stuff next day, even after ordering in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My point is you are whingeing about where you can 'report' Amazon for slow delivery of completely useless products in the middle of the greatest medical crisis in 100 years. If they were actually important or useful, your post and points might carry more resonance.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Ok.

So I know COVID is affecting many business and disrupting many supply chains etc. Amazon even said they are prioritising essential products and others will be delayed. Fair enough. I am signed up to Prime and my 2 day delivery can wait.

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

Out of sheer curiosity, I checked to see how long it would take to send to DPD parcel wizard in the north. 2 days - oh. Then I check AddressPal in the UK, next day delivery.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

You have little to be bothering you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

silver2020 wrote: »
    They are currently building a fulfillment centre in Greenogue.

That looks to be a last mile distribution centre rather than an actual stock holding fulfillment centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Anyone have any insight on this? Or experienced this themselves? Who do you even report this to?

The delay is certainly down to amazon.

I ordered something from a different seller in the UK, order placed 6pm friday, shipped later that night, arrived Lunch time monday, and it was over bank holiday weekend in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

i noticed the address issue recently also as i thought the 2 week wait was for everybody, until i saw someone in the UK complaining about their order taking 2 days,

when i looked into it many others online were saying the same thing,

Irish address = 2 week dispatch time + 2 days delivery via An Post
    Same Irish address via a PO box with UK address = 2 days dispatch/delivery
    Uk address = 2 days dispatch/delivery

Yet Irish address customers pay the same amount for prime as UK customers and get no discount for the longer delivery times, even if you ask them for one they deny there is an extended delivery time for only Irish addresses or any problem dispatching to them. these are all products direct from amazon.co.uk themselves and NOT other sellers...

in fact if you get onto customer care at all they do a "phrase out" using "As you have been inactive for 2 minutes i am ending this call" even as you are engaging in conversation with them...they just ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Doodah7 wrote: »
    My point is you are whingeing about where you can 'report' Amazon for slow delivery of completely useless products in the middle of the greatest medical crisis in 100 years. If they were actually important or useful, your post and points might carry more resonance.

Again, you’re missing the point. Also, multivitamins are just an example (and not entirely useless in times of a health crisis, as you proclaim. You don’t even know what I’m ordering). Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

FVP3 wrote: »
    I mean the OP clearly has said numerous times that is is the time to dispatch, not the time to deliver, that is the problem. This is new. So, it looks like in their prioritization in the covid era that they have reduced the priority of certain goods and countries.

You realise "dispatching" an item is part of the delivery process; right?

I don't have any direct knowledge of how either Amazon or An Post handle their deliveries but I do have experience with other delivery and logistic chains and what another poster above mentioned makes perfect sense:
    I think the issue with Amazon UK orders to Ireland is that they never enter UK post. To my knowledge and I could be wrong but I understand they go directly into a container and taken to Portlaoise MC. So Irish items only get picked when there is a container due to depart.

It's far more likely that An Post's free delivery times to Ireland are a function of:
    • How much truck space An Post makes available to Amazon.
    • How often trucks are dispatched from any given Amazon warehouse.
    • How items are routed by Amazon to warehouses which An Post physically collect from.
    • How long it takes An Post's trucks to drive back to the Irish sorting hub.

However I can't find anything via a quick search which actually details any of this process so it's all just guesswork.

My fundamental argument is that it's far more likely this is due to practical constraints as a result of the Covid-19 crisis on both An Post and Amazon than on the notion that they're "discriminating against the Irish people". I also wouldn't be surprised if there's an element of Brexit uncertainty impacting here.

• Advertisement

Granadino wrote: »
    You have little to be bothering you...

Suppose you’re happy to have others take advantage of you?

Hand sanitiser on Amazon won’t ship to Ireland. Kept for UK customers. Face masks too. Should we have equal access or just accept that we are Irish and are deserving to be trampled on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Sadly, they unavoidable for certain items.

Also shops should all implement Apple Pay and Google Pay. It avoids a ton of form filling and gives people a sense of security.

I had an issue with Google Pay where I was charged for something and they would not refund me. Could not get a refund, found not get details on the transaction (GDPR) cited and the supplier did not have the details to trace back as I had the email address associated with a different pay method.

I have removed the payment method from Google pay in the interim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

ronivek wrote: »
    You realise "dispatching" an item is part of the delivery process; right?

It's part of the fulfillment process. We may as well use the terms that Amazon uses. Fulfillment for the entire thing. Shipping for when it is on the way. Getting to shipping takes 1-2 weeks longer for Irish products. An Post isn't involved at this stage.
    My fundamental argument is that it's far more likely this is due to practical constraints as a result of the Covid-19 crisis on both An Post and Amazon than on the notion that they're "discriminating against the Irish people". I also wouldn't be surprised if there's an element of Brexit uncertainty impacting here.

An Post haven't claimed any special restrictions on Amazon as far as I can see, its a major part of their business.

As for what MrMusician said:

I think the issue with Amazon UK orders to Ireland is that they never enter UK post. To my knowledge and I could be wrong but I understand they go directly into a container and taken to Portlaoise MC. So Irish items only get picked when there is a container due to depart.

I just got a dispatch yesterday which said:

Delivery By Royal Mail
    Tracking ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Wednesday, 27 May
    Package has shipped

This will eventually get to dublin, not via Parcel motel. So it seems to leave via Royal Mail, and I assume thats what the tracking number is for. The website could be wrong of course.

My experience is that An Post deliver the parcels very quickly and often make several attempts to deliver in a single day. They must be on some sort of measurable target, and I only live less than 1Km from the regional sorting office.

The delay seems to be getting to the item being picked in Amazon and placed in a box.

As for what MrMusician said:

I just got a dispatch yesterday which said:

Delivery By Royal Mail
    Tracking ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Wednesday, 27 May
    Package has shipped

This will eventually get to dublin, not via Parcel motel. So it seems to leave via Royal Mail, and I assume thats what the tracking number is for. The website could be wrong of course.

They don't seem to have detailed tracking for some Royal Mail delivery. They are probably using a lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Who do you even report this to?

Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's part of the fulfillment process. We may as well use the terms that Amazon uses. Fulfillment for the entire thing. Shipping for when it is on the way. Getting to shipping takes 1-2 weeks longer for Irish products. An Post isn't involved at this stage.

Fulfilment is how Amazon refers to the process of getting an item "out for delivery". They still call it delivery once it leaves the warehouse.

How do you think An Post receives items from Amazon for delivery in Ireland? How do you think those items arrive to your door with only a single An Post tracking sticker on it and nothing else? How do you think Amazon can provide you with an An Post tracking number before the item even shows up on An Post's website? Because they're involved from the moment you place an order which will be delivered via An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Windsor 1

Yes, I experienced similar delivery delays. But given how every shop, bar a supermarkets and chemists in the country closed overnight, I guess Amazon is probably out-the-door with orders.

Windsor 1 wrote: »
    Yes, I experienced similar delivery delays. But given how every shop, bar a supermarkets and chemists in the country closed overnight, I guess Amazon is probably out-the-door with orders.

Yes, I understand but they can still deliver next day for their UK customers. Strange.

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Words fail me.

You don’t see any issue with their handling of Irish customers?

Fulfilment is how Amazon refers to the process of getting an item "out for delivery". They still call it delivery once it leaves the warehouse.

No, Fulfilment is what they call the whole thing. And you were the one calling the whole thing delivery until now, not me. They call that shipping. So I am using their terms.
    How do you think An Post receives items from Amazon for delivery in Ireland? How do you think those items arrive to your door with only a single An Post tracking sticker on it and nothing else? How do you think Amazon can provide you with an An Post tracking number before the item even shows up on An Post's website?

I hate argument by question.
    Because they're involved from the moment you place an order which will be delivered via An Post.

Well that is what you say but it isnt my experience. I have a tracking number for Royal Mail right now on an order shipping to Dublin. An have just gone to Royal Mail tracking to put in the Amazon number and it worked. I expected it to as the initial two letters were RY

This is what Royal Mail say.

We're expecting it
    Tracking no. RYXXXXXXX

The sender has let us know this item will be with us soon.

This took about 2 weeks to dispatch.

I personally dont care that much because when I see delays that I care about, I just route via belfast. However your argument is definitely wrong in this case, and probably in all cases.

How do you think An Post receives items from Amazon for delivery in Ireland? How do you think those items arrive to your door with only a single An Post tracking sticker on it and nothing else? How do you think Amazon can provide you with an An Post tracking number before the item even shows up on An Post's website? Because they're involved from the moment you place an order which will be delivered via An Post.

Don’t be so naive. I can go on to An Post or Royal Mail and get a tracking number right now but until I give the item to them they don’t know about it. Amazon or anyone for that matter can also arrange postage labels with An Post but An Post cannot deliver until they receive the package (i.e. until Amazon dispatch it to them).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Suppose you’re happy to have others take advantage of you?

Hand sanitiser on Amazon won’t ship to Ireland. Kept for UK customers. Face masks too. Should we have equal access or just accept that we are Irish and are deserving to be trampled on?

Millions of items aren't currently shipping to Ireland. Stuff I've found includes tablecloths, castors for furniture, fabric dye, nail strengthener, printer ink, silicone pastry mat, lipsticks... obviously not all of every item but examples I've looked at. In some cases I got different variants on Amazon, some I've used parcel motel for and I've gotten a fair few bits on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

I'm finding a lot of the items i've ordered recently are no longer delivering to Ireland now OR they have ridiculous delivery costs attached to them even with my Prime account.

I've contacted sellers about this and they told me they would follow up with Amazon as they handled the shipping costs. I've contacted Amazon customer support and they've told me they would pass this information onto the relevant department.

It seems like an algorithm is put in place and when something costs a certain amount to ship outside the UK they now either mark it as non deliverable to Ireland or slap enormous postage costs on. Very underhanded, it's not all items either, just some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

timetogo1 wrote: »

Yep, people are easily annoyed.
    Not annoyed in the slightest. Don't confuse my bemusement for it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Lads I tried to buy a flamethrower and machine gun and they said that they don't ship to Ireland ,

Like come on now lads what's that all about

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Last week I ordered some multivitamins. Expected delivery to Ireland - June 2nd. Not essential I guess and the 2 week delivery, I assumed Amazon warehouse are flat out. Fair enough.

I contacted Amazon to see what went wrong - they said the problem is on the delivery to Ireland. We are now 8 days following my order, and it has yet to even dispatch. If An Post don’t receive the product, how can they deliver?

The problem is clearly Amazon prioritising their UK customers over Irish.

Multivitamins. You do know that all the science says that they are pointless placebos. They are also something you can buy in any shop. Why or earth would someone order them online from another country during a pandemic.
    Not essential you guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Amazon has gone to ****e since before the covid , large influx of chineses vendors , no consistent supplys
    takes ages to find stuff, and even then may not be delivered to ireland

id rate it 9 out of ten 18months ago now id give it 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

robinbird wrote: »
    Multivitamins. You do know that all the science says that they are pointless placebos.

wrong , try again

Advertisement