Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy comments about Greta Thunberg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I remember thinking as she spoke at the UN that's very emotive language for a young teen. I was compleetly underwhelmed by what she not not the content but the fact she came across a very angry young lady. And Turbidy was right to express concern about her as any caring parent would I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I remember thinking as she spoke at the UN that's very emotive language for a young teen. I was compleetly underwhelmed by what she not not the content but the fact she came across a very angry young lady. And Turbidy was right to express concern about her as any caring parent would I imagine.

Hold on are you seriously surprised and concerned about a young person using emotive language? You know that sounds nuts? Emotive language is kind of what young people are known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

lalababa wrote: »
    Ah yes, but WHAT have we got in modern western society?? That's the question. Well you could say plenty of food and shelter & health care & security etc. etc. But these seemingly basic things could easily exist without polluting the f##k outta the planet.
    For example, French antropologists did a study on a few 'civilization isolated" pigmy tribes in the Amazon in the late 80's.
    Now by 'modern western standards' these tribes hadn't a pot to piss in. No car, just a hut, no tv, no holiday to NY once a year, no decent salary, actually no money atall atall!
    But they found that they got on well enough and we're reasonably happy.
    The sientists compared all social and work parameters to an average middle class French family and found the tribes had less work time more pleasure time and family time and were very much less stressed!

Oh please this is so naive.

We (21st century western society) have what we have.
    We are used of having what we have
    We work hard to earn income to have what we have.
    We value what we have.

Amazonian tribes have what they have.
    They are used of having what they have
    They work hard to earn"income" to have what they have.
    They value what they have.

You cannot expect modern western society to abandon all that we are used of for the sake of the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

That girl has problems and she being abused by powers that be !
    Her speech the last day was not from the heart only rehearsed lines in my opinion!
    But the girl maybe right ?

But all I know it’s not the 4.5 million people or so in this country that’s going to save the planet

Leo going out to America they have probably more people than our population employed in the government/ civil servants
    What’s the population of America 350/450 ?million and Asia another 1000 million ?
    People would want to get a grip , we can’t run a country of 4 with 1.5milion of that concentrated in one city !

The Donald must have s good laugh when he meets our modern Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Ah yes, but WHAT have we got in modern western society?? That's the question. Well you could say plenty of food and shelter & health care & security etc. etc. But these seemingly basic things could easily exist without polluting the f##k outta the planet.
    For example, French antropologists did a study on a few 'civilization isolated" pigmy tribes in the Amazon in the late 80's.
    Now by 'modern western standards' these tribes hadn't a pot to piss in. No car, just a hut, no tv, no holiday to NY once a year, no decent salary, actually no money atall atall!
    The sientists compared all social and work parameters to an average middle class French family and found the tribes had less work time more pleasure time and family time and were very much less stressed!

That's interesting. I would have thought modern medicine would tip the balance in favour of the Western World. Also food security.

But on a social and mental health level I could see how isolated tribes are generally more content with the world they live in.

• Advertisement

And have a life expectancy of maybe 40 years..............

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

dvdman1 wrote: »
    "she needs to be brought home and watch a movie. Just go for a walk with your da or your ma"

An out of touch overpaid twat or he has a point?

I heard this on the radio yesterday and you are being deliberately disingenious taking Tubridy's comment out of context.

He mentioned about how he was conflicted by such a young girl who he admires for her conviction. But she clearly has issues, and he wondered if it is good for her health giving speeches with such passion, worry and angst in front of the world's glare.
    He mentioned how her face was contorted etc etc.

He sounded concerned for her well being as he himself was a father and chose his words as delicately as he could while ad libbing.
    His main point was that the girl needs to be careful considering her condition and the level of emotion and angst it is causing her.

Others on the other hand want to try and frame it as some throw away thoughtless comment - if you listen to his complete comments nothing can be further from the truth.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

He's just getting in the zone for the Toy Show. Its obvious from shows past he dislikes kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I think Tubs is a total eejit and never watch or listen to him but i do agree with him on this.
    What does it say about our World leaders and our scientists when the world spokesperson for climate change is a child.

What are we like?

You couldn't have put it any better - People can hold the position that this girl is being taken advantage off to sell a message and yet you yourself can also care just as much about the future of the planet as the people cheering and applauding her.

Oh and Tubs is very lucky because he has a job and salary that his talents do not match in any way.

VinLieger wrote: »
    His talking points are ripped straight from the alt-right by attacking her age and illness as well as calling her vulnerable and implying she doesnt know what she is doing and being used by others.
    He's prejudiced because of her age..he doesnt realise that the information shes saying is based on what the scientists have told her. Shes regularly consulting with ipcc scientists before speaches.

Climate activists choose a child, it had to be a child because their reputation would be inevitably attacked by climate deniers with vested interests.

It seems even a child is taken apart by critics..very shameful considering our planets state.

These are silly type of comments first off alt-right is an Americanism which only applies to American politics. Irish politics is far different.
    Tubridy did not 'attack' her age and her illness.
    Interestingly you use the term 'illness' Michael Knowles got castigated for saying that instead of disorder.
    If you look up Thunberg and Aspergers she claims that her condition made her a climate activist as she can see 'clearly' she calls it her 'superpower'.
    As she sees things in black and white.

Tubridy showed concern for her well being and had mixed feelings about the whole thing. In that she was passionate and standing up for a cause but it looks like it is doing her damage?
    I believe he pointed out that someone close to Thunberg should have a word with her.
    I said the exact same thing on another thread about Thunberg (first one that came up after a search) and got banned for it.
    To me that shows the level of hysteria around the issue.
    If Thunberg mentions it is a gift, if others mention it - it is an attack.

As for Thunberg giving information she has yet to give any actual information, she is just high on panicky emotive rhetoric. No solutions just noise.

She has put herself up there to be critised either positively or negatively.
    Thunberg seems to be called a child when it is used by some to deflect any critisism.
    Yet she is 16 years old - old enough for the age of consent in Sweden (15) Old enough to drive in Sweden (16)

It is telling to me that she has not got in any debates with anyone.
    It is almost like she is just being used as a mouth piece like those Chinese Child emperors of yore.
    Is Thunberg being exploited?

I think it is very unfair attacking Tubridy without listening to his full comments on Thunberg.
    Personally I think he had some very valid points.

--

Oh and before someone hysterically attacks me - no I am not a climate change denier - I am just a person who listened to the full comments RTE by Tubridy which is why I became aware of the whole thing in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

You cannot expect modern western society to abandon all that we are used of for the sake of the planet.

"Climate change? Meh....

Transgender children????!!!!! *starts foaming at the mouth*"

megaten wrote: »
    Hold on are you seriously surprised and concerned about a young person using emotive language? You know that sounds nuts? Emotive language is kind of what young people are known for.

Any parent watching her speech would feel like Tubridy. She needs caring for. Not used as shamelessly as this.

Her points are very valid. Her method of delivery worrying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

These are silly type of comments first off alt-right is an Americanism which only applies to American politics. Irish politics is far different.
    Tubridy did not 'attack' her age and her illness.
    Interestingly you use the term 'illness' Michael Knowles got castigated for saying that instead of disorder.
    If you look up Thunberg and Aspergers she claims that her condition made her a climate activist as she can see 'clearly' she calls it her 'superpower'.
    As she sees things in black and white.

Tubridy showed concern for her well being and had mixed feelings about the whole thing. In that she was passionate and standing up for a cause but it looks like it is doing her damage?
    I believe he pointed out that someone close to Thunberg should have a word with her.
    I said the exact same thing on another thread about Thunberg (first one that came up after a search) and got banned for it.
    To me that shows the level of hysteria around the issue.
    If Thunberg mentions it is a gift, if others mention it - it is an attack.

As for Thunberg giving information she has yet to give any actual information, she is just high on panicky emotive rhetoric. No solutions just noise.

She has put herself up there to be critised either positively or negatively.
    Thunberg seems to be called a child when it is used by some to deflect any critisism.
    Yet she is 16 years old - old enough for the age of consent in Sweden (15) Old enough to drive in Sweden (16)

It is telling to me that she has not got in any debates with anyone.
    It is almost like she is just being used as a mouth piece like those Chinese Child emperors of yore.
    Is Thunberg being exploited?

I think it is very unfair attacking Tubridy without listening to his full comments on Thunberg.
    Personally I think he had some very valid points.

--

Oh and before someone hysterically attacks me - no I am not a climate change denier - I am just a person who listened to the full comments RTE by Tubridy which is why I became aware of the whole thing in the first place.
    Why would she need to be in a debate or give information herself? Her whole stick is " listen to the scientists". Btw the main group of people referring to her as a child are those trying to dismiss her

Why would she need to be in a debate or give information herself? Her whole stick is " listen to the scientists". Btw the main group of people referring to her as a child are those trying to dismiss her

It would be grand if she maintained the 'listen to the scientists' line that would make sense.
    But now she has moved on to 'stolen my childhood' 'how dare you'.

As regard the child thing the dynamic is very odd.

When people question her logic or mental state - the answer is you cannot say that about a child.

Others on the other side say she is an inspiration to other children - the future etc.

It seems it will be another two years at least before the shield and/or veneer of being 'a child' is removed. Then proper commentary can begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

You do realise we are part of the planet we are not separate , we are the planet ,

The bio sphere created us so there for we are the bio sphere ,

Humans think we are something higher than we are,

Yes we are changing the planet but the planet has always changed and always will , The planet will be here long after we are gone,

I wonder if back in the ice age's where the groups complaining about the rising heat and the melting ice , Before that aas there picket of people saying save the T-rex ,

Ah of course, you're dead right. I forgot that cars, planes, coal plants, gas plants, boats, etc are all part of nature and have always existed and thus don't contribute negatively to our bio sphere.

It would be grand if she maintained the 'listen to the scientists' line that would make sense.

A lot of people aren't listening to the scientists, though. You have people like Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers Corbyn, who reckon that there's a lot of money in this climate change lark. Scientists on the take, governments cleaning up on the carbon taxes etc.

Not that there's any money in the climate-change denial. Keeping all the manufacturing going, and not having to bother implementing environmental standards - no, siree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That is entirely consistent with her original point. Because people are quite clearly still not listening to the overwhelming scientific consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

"she needs to be brought home and watch a movie. Just go for a walk with your da or your ma"

An out of touch overpaid twat or he has a point?

Wasn't himself on the radio at an even younger age giving reviews? I remember him on telly doing book reviews.
    This privileged RTE royal is either not getting it or trying to be controversial. It's too late in the day for Tubbs the gaffe making bland host of a zombie talk show to try that. Likely he's just settling in to his old fogey mode having been a young fogey all his life
    She's a symbol to raise awareness not a scientist.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That is entirely consistent with her original point. Because people are quite clearly still not listening to the overwhelming scientific consensus.

It is not though how has her 'childhood being stolen' for a start? She is 16 years of age and has lived a happy and comfortable life.
    Well to do parents nice home, education etc etc.
    Climate change activism just happens to be her hobby.

Hyperbole like 'stolen childhood' that helps no-one.

briany wrote: »
    A lot of people aren't listening to the scientists, though. You have people like Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers Corbyn, who reckon that there's a lot of money in this climate change lark. Scientists on the take, governments cleaning up on the carbon taxes etc.

Not that there's any money in the climate-change denial. Keeping all the manufacturing going, and not having to bother implementing environmental standards - no, siree.
    The whole money things makes no sense, for example check out the job Met Eireann are advertising at the moment, around 35k for someone who should ideally have a PhD!

• Advertisement

Wasn't himself on the radio at an even younger age giving reviews? I remember him on telly doing book reviews.
    This privileged RTE royal is either not getting it or trying to be controversial. It's too late in the day for Tubbs the gaffe making bland host of a zombie talk show to try that. Likely he's just settling in to his old fogey mode having been a young fogey all his life
    She's a symbol to raise awareness not a scientist.

The difference is though when little Tubs gave reviews he did not rant, rave and hyperventilate. To the extent that there is question over effects to his health.

Plus it was actually a good interview with actual information in it and opinions.

Also I think he does 'get it' and his comments were very fair when taken in context of his whole statement.
    I think he was not trying to be contrarvesial at all about Thunberg just giving his honest opinion.

--

By the way I am not fan of Tubridy - not a regular listener or watcher.
    Great in the toy show though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Any parent watching her speech would feel like Tubridy. She needs caring for. Not used as shamelessly as this.

Her points are very valid. Her method of delivery worrying.

This is exactly how I feel.
    I take her points.She is dead right.I don't really think she is being madly manipulated.I do agree with her.
    But I also think she is fixated with the destruction of her future, with saving the world, to the point where she says it causing her to loose sleep, suffer from anxiety and the like.Worse because she is a teen with a condition that would cause her to fixate on certain things in this way -it may have made her a campaigner but it's also the reason why she seems to be beginning to struggle.
    If this was any other 16 year old saying stuff like this about their lives, about losing sleep and anxiety, their parents would be taking them to doctors.But because she is being held up as a figurehead and a spokesperson, nobody can say that.It is not normal to have a 16 year old almost in tears talking about the future of things she fundamentally has zero control over.I absolutely take her point and I agre that urgent action is needed but I really feel she is reaching a point where she needs to step back, learn how to manage her anxiety and think about what might be more useful to do next, rather than acting as the sole figurehead for a worldwide effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It is not though how has her 'childhood being stolen' for a start? She is 16 years of age and has lived a happy and comfortable life.
    Well to do parents nice home, education etc etc.
    Climate change activism just happens to be her hobby.

Hyperbole like 'stolen childhood' that helps no-one.

"I shouldn't be here!". Her point was that instead of enjoying her childhood she's compelled to give out about climate change.
    The difference is though when little Tubs gave reviews he did not rant, rave and hyperventilate. To the extent that there is question over effects to his health.

Plus it was actually a good interview with actual information in it and opinions.

And of course every adult took lil' Tubbs seriously and their was no bearing on his being a kid. Also Tubbs hasn't a passionate bone in his body. He'd be telling the UN to stop acting the maggot or asking flood victims whose families were wiped out, 'How did that make you feel?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Ah of course, you're dead right. I forgot that cars, planes, coal plants, gas plants, boats, etc are all part of nature and have always existed and thus don't contribute negatively to our bio sphere.

You take me up wrong , im not saying global warming and climate change is not a real thing it is its very real,
    All the things you mentioned where of course created by us but we are this planet, we are not some external entity ,

The planet is forever changing and will forever change,

Do you know It is estimated that over 99.9% of all species that ever lived are extinct.

We will be no different

shesty wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel.
    I take her points.She is dead right.I don't really think she is being madly manipulated.I do agree with her.
    But I also think she is fixated with the destruction of her future, with saving the world, to the point where she says it causing her to loose sleep, suffer from anxiety and the like.Worse because she is a teen with a condition that would cause her to fixate on certain things in this way -it may have made her a campaigner but it's also the reason why she seems to be beginning to struggle.
    If this was any other 16 year old saying stuff like this about their lives, about losing sleep and anxiety, their parents would be taking them to doctors.But because she is being held up as a figurehead and a spokesperson, nobody can say that.It is not normal to have a 16 year old almost in tears talking about the future of things she fundamentally has zero control over.I absolutely take her point and I agre that urgent action is needed but I really feel she is reaching a point where she needs to step back, learn how to manage her anxiety and think about what might be more useful to do next, rather than acting as the sole figurehead for a worldwide effort.

Every year we put 60,000 16-18 years old through so much stress that causes many of them to suffer anxiety, cry and lose sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

You take me up wrong , im not saying global warming and climate change is not a real thing it is its very real,
    All the things you mentioned where of course created by us but we are this planet, we are not some external entity ,

Do you know It is estimated that over 99.9% of all species that ever lived are extinct.

We will be no different

No i understood your point, and agree that we are part of the bio sphere/earth.

However, we have a significantly more powerful influence on our bio sphere than other species, and we are increasing the magnitude of change in the climate. Imagine a car travelling at a constant speed, everything in balance. We are the equivalent of someone being in the drivers seat with the accelerator pressed to the floor.

At no stage in our history have we lived so comfortably and yet also had such a massive effect on our environment

We will be no different

The question is not about whether the planet changes. The question is how much of the change is due to human behaviour and how much is therefore avoidable by altering this behaviour.

Another interesting statistic about that 99.9% of species is that not a single one of them was able to comprehend their extinction or was in a position to do anything about it. Humans hold an exalted position in those terms. To say that it happened to all the other life, so why shouldn't it happen to us is extraordinarily fatalistic. It's akin to someone smoking, drinking, eating or drugging themselves to death, and if you suggest they should stop they say, "Hey, 100 percent of people die anyway."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Podge_irl wrote: »

IF people don't listen to scientists, what makes you think they are going to listen to an emotional 16yr old?

Bottom line? People really don't care that much, because they know to make a difference we will have to accept less cars, less travel, less gadgets, no more oil, coal, turf, buying less, no more growth etc etc.

And people have got used to it all. They ain't giving it up.

Oh please this is so naive.

We (21st century western society) have what we have.
    We are used of having what we have
    We work hard to earn income to have what we have.
    We value what we have.

Amazonian tribes have what they have.
    They are used of having what they have
    They work hard to earn"income" to have what they have.
    They value what they have.

On this point you are wrong.
    We don't "value what we have". We take it for granted. We expect it.

Everything is "throwaway", clothes can be bought for €10 in Penneys, rows and rows of cheap plastic make up accessories, the latest thing we " cant live without", the latest thing "to die for"! All these things wrapped in plastic. We appreciate so little and we want everything now. The toll all this materialistic consumerism is causing is huge! The amount of online shopping means ship loads of heavy containers heading over this way from China, plane loads of stuff from Amazon, roads blocked up with couriers delivering.
    We don't need half of the stuff we all have in our houses, all the stuff in the middle aisle in Aldi - week after week of special offers! Discarded, binned and dumped after a year when the next latest version comes out. Think about it. We put no value on all this stuff. Materialism and consumerism is ruining the environment.

There were 7 kids in my family growing up, socks were darned, buttons sewn back on, patches put on the knees of jeans, all vegetables and fruit grown in the back garden, hens laying the eggs, bread baked. I know we cant go back to those times but I think they were far happier because we had far less and we valued what we had. I remember I couldn't wait to be big enough to wear my sister's hand me downs :)

I would happily live a simpler life and strive to do this now. I don't feel I need the latest iPhone to live. I travel to work everyday on the train and must be the only one who isn't glued to my phone.
    If those phones were lost or stolen tomorrow they would be replaced. Nothing has a value, everything is disposable and replaceable.

I do care , I worry about the world I am leaving behind for my kids and my grandkids. Its incredibly selfish not to look at the effect all our consumerism is having on the world we live in and the world we will leave behind.

• Advertisement

"I shouldn't be here!". Her point was that instead of enjoying her childhood she's compelled to give out about climate change.

The irony here is it is her hobby.
    She would not be there unless she fixated on it and drove her to protest every Friday in Sweden. This is her own way of enjoying her childhood. It is just different to most.
    By her own admission she is not into what other teenagers call 'fun'.

And of course every adult took lil' Tubbs seriously and their was no bearing on his being a kid. Also Tubbs hasn't a passionate bone in his body. He'd be telling the UN to stop acting the maggot or asking flood victims whose families were wiped out, 'How did that make you feel?'.

Books are Tubbs passion as the environment is Greta's passion.
    If he started going on about the UN acting the maggot or flood victims at 16 - my feelings would be exactly the same as when Bono talks about Africa.
    I would say why would I listen to that guff? He is no expert on the issue for a start. and is hypocrite.

On the other hand if Tubs reviewed a book I would at least know he has read it and understood it.

Advertisement