Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Gatling wrote: »
    I know

And they were driving an American car , a German car and British car

I know

I know

It's related to world war 2 isn't it

Ok I LOL'd at this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

rightly so.if they came here displaying something that represented the e.glish killing our soldiers there would. be uproar too.even if it was just a joke

They wouldn't have the stones to do that. Much easier to be disparaging of far away lands and people who probably don't even know the show exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

bear1 wrote: »
    "It appears" doesn't imply it to be fact.
    I couldn't give a toss what Clarkson or anyone else would think of me... It's called having a distance to ones self.

Yet you "+1" a post that starts with "By the sounds of it.....".

Things change when they suit your own biases dont they ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Whether the war was correct/justified whatever is irrelevant. It is clearly a sensitive issue and the joke on Top Gear every week seems to be at the expense of whichever country the lads go to. Maybe not be little englanders all of the time?

Some people are quite defensive of their favourite show :pac:

yep peoples own biases certainly do show themselves, like those who watch a show weekly for instance.........or maybe don't, but to make a point describe the show using the terms "every week" and "all of the time"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Make of this what you will but I find it hard to believe that the bosses deliberately went out of their way to search for a car that has a number plate which reflects the Falklands war.
    If you've ever seen Top Gear, you'd know that's exactly what they did.

If the filming had gone ahead, they would have done their utmost to make a nuisance of themselves and upset the local population. It's what they do because it's exactly the kind of thing their target demographic of 20-50 something mouth breathing imperialists loves to watch.

The police instead told them to GTFO and stop acting the cvnt, quite rightly.

• Advertisement

BBDBB wrote: »
    yep peoples own biases certainly do show themselves, like those who watch a show weekly for instance.........or maybe don't, but to make a point describe the show using the terms "every week" and "all of the time"

Yup syntax is the principal issue here. There cant be many straws left now lads but keep clutching :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So many deniers on this thread.

Yup syntax is the principal issue here. There cant be many straws left now lads but keep clutching :pac:

oh I see, so do you watch the show regularly or don't you?

you see, I don't mind if you like or loathe Top Gear, genuinely I couldn't care less, but I do want to speak up about your stance as though somehow your ****e doesn't smell. You are showing just as much personal bias as those you are attacking, and that's not hidden behind any syntax, it just happens to be from a different angle and would appear to be rooted in a bias based before this particular incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

KungPao wrote: »
    The sinking of the Belgrano was a war crime.

Opinions?

It must have been a very big sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seamus wrote: »
    It's what they do because it's exactly the kind of thing their target demographic of 20-50 something mouth breathing imperialists loves to watch.

Its one of the most popular TV shows on irish TV

The live show sold out in the RDS a few years back

Imperialists my @rse

• Advertisement

oh I see, so do you watch the show regularly or don't you?

you see, I don't mind if you like or loathe Top Gear, genuinely I couldn't care less, but I do want to speak up about your stance as though somehow your ****e doesn't smell. You are showing just as much personal bias as those you are attacking, and that's not hidden behind any syntax, it just happens to be from a different angle and would appear to be rooted in a bias based before this particular incident.

Completely irrelevant what my biases are. What do you think of what Top Gear and Clarkson did in Argentina?

seamus wrote: »
    If you've ever seen Top Gear, you'd know that's exactly what they did.

If the filming had gone ahead, they would have done their utmost to make a nuisance of themselves and upset the local population. It's what they do because it's exactly the kind of thing their target demographic of 20-50 something mouth breathing imperialists loves to watch.

The police instead told them to GTFO and stop acting the cvnt, quite rightly.

Tell me then, how does one go about finding a car which has a number plate reflecting the war and is also a Porsche?
    The filming has almost finished so the majority of it was there, but yet it took the Argentines until the end to realise something was up?
    Bollocks.

Your posts get worse and worse :)

Completely irrelevant what my biases are. What do you think of what Top Gear and Clarkson did in Argentina?

how is it irrelevant?

you have taken the time and trouble to point out other peoples bias in favour of the show but wish to dismiss as irrelevant your own biases?

even though they give you the right or the desire or the ammunition as you see it, to mock and belittle those who don't share your world view.......that's almost Clarksonesque in its arrogance isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hoagy wrote: »
    H is a 1990 reg, though.
    It's a 1990/91 reg.

Specifically 1 Sept 90 to 31 Aug 91.

I always enjoy the nonsensical indignant whines of those who don't like Top Gear. "Oh my God - he almost used the n word in a scene which never aired in an everyday nursery rhyme being used for exactly the purposes most of us use it for - he's a racist!!"

Ignorant people are funny. :)

how is it irrelevant?

you have taken the time and trouble to point out other peoples bias in favour of the show but wish to dismiss as irrelevant your own biases?

even though they give you the right or the desire or the ammunition as you see it, to mock and belittle those who don't share your world view.......that's almost Clarksonesque in its arrogance isn't it?

Nope, people (coincidentally those on Top Gear's side in this issue) were starting to debate the merits of the Falklands War. A clear attempt to muddy the waters of the core issue and a clear indication of the bias involved. Just like you are doing now.

What do you think of Clarkson going to Argentina and antagonising them on purpose over the Falklands War? Hint: i am not asking you to give a summary of the rights and wrongs of the Falklands War.

Your posts get worse and worse :)

And yours have been read and dismissed from the very beginning ;)

What do you think of Clarkson going to Argentina and antagonising them on purpose over the Falklands War?
    Have you proof of this btw?

Just asking.

cdeb wrote: »
    It's a 1990/91 reg.

Specifically 1 Sept 90 to 31 Aug 91.

I always enjoy the nonsensical indignant whines of those who don't like Top Gear. "Oh my God - he almost used the n word in a scene which never aired in an everyday nursery rhyme being used for exactly the purposes most of us use it for - he's a racist!!"

Ignorant people are funny. :)

And those Burmese people being slopes. Just a laugh innit :rolleyes:

That one was a bit naughty, I'll agree. Though if you look at the thread here, no-one commented at the time; I'd say most people had never heard the term "slope" before. Most I've mentioned it to hadn't.

People have been giving out about Top Gear being racist long before that though. Maybe you've more examples?

And tell me again how Clarkson deliberately antagonised the Argentinians?

• Advertisement

Nope, people (coincidentally those on Top Gear's side in this issue) were starting to debate the merits of the Falklands War. A clear attempt to muddy the waters of the core issue and a clear indication of the bias involved. Just like you are doing now.

What do you think of Clarkson going to Argentina and antagonising them on purpose over the Falklands War? Hint: i am not asking you to give a summary of the rights and wrongs of the Falklands War.

So you're saying, that the producers (Clarkson doesn't go and personally buy the car himself you know) when they went to get the car should have started staring at every piece of it to see if there is some gag they can use?
    Then urreka, they spot the number plate. Giggle giggle and they decide to say "ah fcuk it, sure they wont notice" and then hope that the BBC doesn't catch wind of it and yet still manage to get across Argentina with that number plate without anyone noticing?
    Clarkson said "there's a slope on it" in the Burma special, I had absolutely no inkling of the ****estorm that was going to cause but yet slope apparently means a certain type of Asian person.
    If they were picked up on that and on a scene for TG were Clarkson said the N word but yet it was never released on the tv that they would not have been rumbled in Argentina with that sort of number plate?
    You asked the same question over and over again (remember when I said you are going around in circles?) and you've been responded to but yet keep asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And those Burmese people being slopes. Just a laugh innit :rolleyes:

And the bridge was on a slope too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No one was "kicked out" of Argentina.

In the south there are lots of veterans groupings, were this was filmed. They were justifiably offended by the number plate. The veterans here have been somewhat abandoned by the current govt (vets = associated with military dictatorship, current govt = formative yrs protesting against this military govt, mortal enemies), they get low pensions and poor social services and have been cast aside and marginalised. They like a reason to make some noise and raise their profile.

It was the veterans who protested outside the hotel. They took offence, seizing upon an opportunity given to them in fairly scripted fashion to raise their profile, based on the picket outside the hotel the film crew took the decision to stop filming.

No one was "kicked out of Argentina" , they annoyed some veterans, who organised picket outside their hotel, they said "meh, we´re good here.." and left.

Have you proof of this btw?

Just asking.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc

This is what is being discussed. Seeing as there is a news story on this, thereby showing that there is some merit to what is being said, can you prove this didnt happen? Can you prove that the Guardian link above is completely false?

How exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Funny how they have been filming for 2 weeks and not a peep .

Must be sloooow taking things in Argentina

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/oct/03/top-gear-argentina-jeremy-clarkson-bbc

This is what is being discussed. Seeing as there is a news story on this, thereby showing that there is some merit to what is being said, can you prove this didnt happen? Can you prove that the Guardian link above is completely false?
    Nowhere is it shown that the number plate was chosen deliberately. In fact, it quotes the BBC categorically saying the opposite.

So the link you provided fails to show he deliberately antagonised people.

You've just jumped to that conclusion because it suits your viewpoint.

Try again maybe?

Nowhere is it shown that the number plate was chosen deliberately. In fact, it quotes the BBC categorically saying the opposite.

So the link you provided fails to show he deliberately antagonised people.

You've just jumped to that conclusion because it suits your viewpoint.

Try again maybe?

Oh the irony :)

How exactly?

I read your comments and think: "nope" and swiftly move on. To say you are a footnote here to me is an understatement. Your faux inability to understand anything you do not agree with is childish. Anyway, dismissed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Sounds like the Argies could do with another hiding. :cool:

Advertisement