Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sorry for going off topic a little but Thatcher won elections in 79,83 and 87.
    These wins show how popular her policies were.
    Labour/Unions were a joke at the time.

In none of those elections did the Tories with the majority of the popular vote.

1979 was their best performance at about 44% of the vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Gatling wrote: »
    That's what happened

I didnt ask for a history lesson. I asked whether you think Argentinians are sensitive about the Falklands. And, in that context, whether fools like Clarkson and Hammond should be in their country poking fun at them about it. You dont seem to want to engage on that issue. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I really do not see how an english tv show taking the mickey out of english people is comparable to the same tv show going to Argentina and taking the mickey out of the Argentinians in relation to a recent war between England and Argentina is comparable in the slightest.

Recent? It was 30 years ago!
    People make jokes about 9/11.
    You're going around in circles now. Can you categorically prove that TG intentionally went out searching for 3 cars which beared a striking mark to show the Argentinians that they were referring to the war?
    If you can't then how can you say they were taking the mickey out of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

By the sounds of it its pure crap from the argies wasn't a problem till the cars were stopped by supposed former soldiers it took off from there including all production be stopped in Argentina and the Falklands ( like that's going to happen )

By the sounds of it its pure crap from the argies wasn't a problem till the cars were stopped by supposed former soldiers it took off from there including all production be stopped in Argentina and the Falklands ( like that's going to happen )

+1.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    You're going around in circles now. Can you categorically prove that TG intentionally went out searching for 3 cars which beared a striking mark to show the Argentinians that they were referring to the war?

I would call the Falklands War recent. I would call the Battle of Hastings not recent. I am not going around in circles at all. My point remains the same. Given the history, why would they bother?

Categorically prove? Can you categorically prove they werent? See what i did there?

Some people are quite defensive of their favourite show :pac:

I would call the Falklands War recent. I would call the Battle of Hastings not recent. I am not going around in circles at all. My point remains the same. Given the history, why would they bother?

Categorically prove? Can you categorically prove they werent? See what i did there?

Some people are quite defensive of their favourite show :pac:

I can't prove they did nor didn't.
    I believe they didn't do it on purpose (and I already said it's heavily scripted) and I don't believe they did it on purpose. See what I did there?
    It's not defending a show, it's criticizing the idiotic actions of Argentina.
    And I would call a war 30 years ago as the distant past.
    Exactly, why would they bother stirring **** up? Clarkson is on his last chance and I seriously doubt he'd want to go and fcuk up his carrier with a number plate.

Doesn't that sound, based on their previous form, like the type of thing they would do?

BTW - Rio Grande is where the Argentinians launched the invasion from and it's not the first time a group of Brits tried to get there and failed :D

Maybe someone should send the Top Gear boys some biscuits - Mikados maybe

Jawgap wrote: »
    Doesn't that sound, based on their previous form, like the type of thing they would do?

BTW - Rio Grande is where the Argentinians launched the invasion from and it's not the first time a group of Brits tried to get there and failed :D

Maybe someone should send the Top Gear boys some biscuits - Mikados maybe

Yes it does. But I think the number plate thing is just too far fetched.
    If it was like what they did in Alabama then yeah I would find it as intentionally stirring it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How many Top Gear haters will now watch this show as a result of this? I'll bet a lot more than usual in which case they've gained invaluable advertising for they're show withittle effort.

I love Top Gear, I love their sense of humour and the cars they test/destroy. It's ny favourite show, having a conclusion such as being kicked out if a country only adds to the appeal of the show, can't wait.

• Advertisement

I can't prove they did nor didn't.
    I believe they didn't do it on purpose (and I already said it's heavily scripted) and I don't believe they did it on purpose. See what I did there?
    It's not defending a show, it's criticizing the idiotic actions of Argentina.
    And I would call a war 30 years ago as the distant past.
    Exactly, why would they bother stirring **** up? Clarkson is on his last chance and I seriously doubt he'd want to go and fcuk up his carrier with a number plate.

I admire your trust in Clarkson. I dont share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

People take offence at joke that's meant to be offensive -World hasn't gone mad at all

I didnt ask for a history lesson. I asked whether you think Argentinians are sensitive about the Falklands. And, in that context, whether fools like Clarkson and Hammond should be in their country poking fun at them about it. You dont seem to want to engage on that issue. Why?

Still waiting Gatling ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

DaDartle wrote: »
    My opinions, w/o seeing the show:

1) Of course they got those plates to be inflammatory.

2) it's all scripted.

3) the lads are insufferable.
    Especially Clarkson who seems to think his boorish attitude is acceptable to everyone :rolleyes:

How many Top Gear haters will now watch this show as a result of this? I'll bet a lot more than usual in which case they've gained invaluable advertising for they're show withittle effort.

I love Top Gear, I love their sense of humour and the cars they test/destroy. It's ny favourite show, having a conclusion such as being kicked out if a country only adds to the appeal of the show, can't wait.

Of course. It's great entertainment and some of the challenges are brilliant.

The genius of Clarkson is that he knows most people think he's a tw@t and he knows there is considerable entertainment value in watching him sweat, struggle, suffer etc under all sorts of conditions (even if we strongly suspect he goes to the nearest 5 Star Hotel once the cameras are off).

Watching him getting chased out of a country is going to be difficult for them to top next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I doubt OFFCOM would allow any part of the show that depicts them being turfed out of the country.

THat show used to be popular when it was produced by the BBC and shown on BBC1 then repeated later in the week on BBC2 but now it appears to be only produced to boost sales of DVDs Blurays and other merchandise.

Still waiting Gatling ;)

Still waiting for what exactly another lesson

Still waiting for what exactly another lesson

:pac:

I'll leave you be.

:pac:

I'll leave you be.

What's your point

I seem to remember top gear going to Iraq as part of a Christmas special .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looking at some Argentine news sites, I can find no mention of any incident where the Top Gear entourage of 40 people were stoned and had to flee the country. Of course if you had paid people to simulate such an occurrence, then it would probably not be so newsworthy.

It sounds like the crew were there for a whole two weeks before they "had to" leave. I am sure the BBC is extremely fortunate that they probably managed to get almost 99% of their intended shooting done before locals noticed the insult.

You can almost imagine the production crew meeting:

"Listen guys, we have a serious problem. They haven't noticed the number plate."

"Yeah, we'll have to do something about that."

"I've had an idea..."

http://autoblog.com.ar/2014/09/top-gear-ya-esta-en-tierra-del-fuego/

• Advertisement

What's your point

I seem to remember top gear going to Iraq as part of a Christmas special .

Is pretending to be completely thick your special way of sticking your head in the sand? I have asked a simple question twice.

Iraq? The issue isnt that they went to Argentina. The issue is that they went to Argentina and purposefully had a dig over a very sensitive issue. You choosing to ignore that doesnt make it any less relevant.

Is pretending to be completely thick your special way of sticking your head in the sand? I have asked a simple question twice.

Iraq? The issue isnt that they went to Argentina. The issue is that they went to Argentina and purposefully had a dig over a very sensitive issue. You choosing to ignore that doesnt make it any less relevant.

Where is the insensitity exactly they invade an island and got the arse kicked for there troubles and have been crying to the UN ever since .

Lesson No 3 your silly attempt at getting a reaction is pure juvenile at best .

They went to Iraq after the British military spent 10 long years killing and been killed .

But going back 30 years for an idiotic attempt to invade and hold a small island .
    For there there troubles they got there ass kicked .

But that's insensitive .

But going to Iraq isn't

Where is the insensitity exactly they invade an island and got the arse kicked for there troubles and have been crying to the UN ever since .

Lesson No 3 your silly attempt at getting a reaction is pure juvenile at best .

So Top Gear were right to do what they did?

So Top Gear were right to do what they did?

And what is it that they have done?

Apparently absolutely nothing

Apparently absolutely nothing

Those bastards!

Having read the same reports as you it appears they have gone to Argentina and antagonised the locals over the Falklands War. The entire premise of this thread. This circling of the issue by Top Gear fans is mad. You do realise Clarkson probably thinks you're a potato eating peasant dont you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

and they do it every week!

Those bastards!

I know

And they were driving an American car , a German car and British car

I know

I know

It's related to world war 2 isn't it

• Advertisement

Having read the same reports as you it appears they have gone to Argentina and antagonised the locals over the Falklands War. The entire premise of this thread. This circling of the issue by Top Gear fans is mad. You do realise Clarkson probably thinks you're a potato eating peasant dont you?

"It appears" doesn't imply it to be fact.
    I couldn't give a toss what Clarkson or anyone else would think of me... It's called having a distance to ones self.

Advertisement