Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1bn cost overrun for new Children's Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

The dart is close to which park??????

For the love of God, you are being silly. The biggest park in Dublin, the Phoenix Park. Which is why I said it is not feasible. Where do you regularly drive ? Do you drive into the city centre on a normal morning commute ? Are you looking at the problem of transport from your location only and not at a.national access level ? Does cost matter ? And I mean taxpayers cost. We are not flush with cash despite what the government would like everyone to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cut costs off the IT budget
    Though it will mean a few well connected companies and consultancies won't get to make a killing on installations and equipment provision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Damien360 wrote: »
    For the love of God, you are being silly. The biggest park in Dublin, the Phoenix Park. Which is why I said it is not feasible. Where do you regularly drive ? Do you drive into the city centre on a normal morning commute ? Are you looking at the problem of transport from your location only and not at a.national access level ? Does cost matter ? And I mean taxpayers cost. We are not flush with cash despite what the government would like everyone to believe.

You said the dart goes to the park.

Which park?

So you agree it’s not feasible.

What point are you trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

You said the dart goes to the park.

Which park?

So you agree it’s not feasible.

What point are you trying to make?

I give up with you. You can't read and you seem to like an argument. Easier to block you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Cut costs off the IT budget
    Though it will mean a few well connected companies and consultancies won't get to make a killing on installations and equipment provision.

Possibly, depends what it's doing.
    Like my whining above about the car parking costs, someone with knowledge of how things can work efficiently needs to look through it.

Is the IT stuff is kids entertainment displays or controlling the newer fangled MRIs and equipment? A judgement should have been made on each years back.
    Looking at the diagrams
    http://www.nchplanning.ie/planning/st-jamess-hospital-campus-2/
    there seems to be as much space taken for IT rooms, computer rooms, datacenters than for the emergency department.

• Advertisement

Damien360 wrote: »
    I give up with you. You can't read and you seem to like an argument. Easier to block you

Go ahead please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mick Wallace is right this time , but a pure fiasco and they have a way out before they blow more they should take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Mick Wallace is right this time , but a pure fiasco and they have a way out before they blow more they should take it
    They seem to be following the brexit thing, we've made a decision and no matter how bad it is we're sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

branie2 wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to bring a sick child to hospital on public transport? There would be germs around the place!
    The good people at Great Ormond St seem to think it's a good idea;

https://www.gosh.nhs.uk/your-hospital-visit/travelling-gosh

Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) is located in central London. Where possible, we ask patients to travel by walking or taking public transport to minimise air pollution and help our patients to breathe better.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The wolves are skulking while the wagons are being circled.

This government will fall on their own sword.

Leo the brave.....more like Leo the dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The wolves are skulking while the wagons are being circled.

This government will fall on their own sword.

Leo the brave.....more like Leo the dumb.

Not while FF keep FG in power.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0220/1031624-no_confidence_vote/

Further proof that FF and FG are the same, the FFG party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What about staff trying to get to a greenfield site with no public transport off the m50?

And people bringing sick kids on the m50 to blanch during rush hour.

Good luck with that.

Your post is strange.

Here is the location of the hospital. I've circled bus routes in black (you can see that there is a half-hourly bus that is literally right outside the entrance), major road networks in red, and rail networks in blue. The only thing it doesn't have is Luas.

https://pasteboard.co/I22YzgO.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Your post is strange.

Here is the location of the hospital. I've circled bus routes in black (you can see that there is a half-hourly bus that is literally right outside the entrance), major road networks in red, and rail networks in blue. The only thing it doesn't have is Luas.

https://pasteboard.co/I22YzgO.png

And which buses stop there? You have staff/patients coming from all over Dublin; is that bus stop going to be much use to you if you're coming from Artane, Blackrock, Clondalkin? You're more than likely going to need a bus to city centre and a bus out to Blanchardstown, which can easily take 2 hours at peak from parts of the city - probably going to take more if you're relying on a half-hourly service connection.

James' is close to a transport hub in Heuston, and is linked to the core city centre by a high capacity/high frequency transport route.

The site are incomparable as regards public transport access. How much you value that is a personal perspective.

One accident on the m50 in the morning and people can be late for work by 2-3 hours.

How would that work for all the staff trying to get off the m50 at blanch??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

One accident on the m50 in the morning and people can be late for work by 2-3 hours.

How would that work for all the staff trying to get off the m50 at blanch??

Some would be late, just like when there is s crash on the m50 and people are late into jobs in Rialto. You seem to think that currently no one uses the m50 that works or needs to visit James’s.
    If there is a crash on the m50 causing 2/3 hour delays then you may be sure the entire city is at as stand still.

salmocab wrote: »
    Some would be late, just like when there is s crash on the m50 and people are late into jobs in Rialto. You seem to think that currently no one uses the m50 that works or needs to visit James’s.
    If there is a crash on the m50 causing 2/3 hour delays then you may be sure the entire city is at as stand still.

It’s not the same though.

The city is accessed through public transport a hundred times over than blanch.

The majority of access to blanch is the m50.

A crash on the m50 won’t impact people going into town as near as much as it would if people are going to blanch.

It’s not the same though.

The city is accessed through public transport a hundred times over than blanch.

The majority of access to blanch is the m50.

A crash on the m50 won’t impact people going into town as near as much as it would if people are going to blanch.

Yes I understand that but we can’t build things based on possible crashes. I actually don’t think Blanch is the right location because of the public transport by the way but it shouldn’t be dismissed because someone may crash their car.

salmocab wrote: »
    Yes I understand that but we can’t build things based on possible crashes. I actually don’t think Blanch is the right location because of the public transport by the way but it shouldn’t be dismissed because someone may crash their car.

My point is about public transport?

And so was a big reason the st James site was chosen.

Anyway I get your point too:)

My point is about public transport?

And so was a big reason the st James site was chosen.

Anyway I get your point too:)

James’s has good public transport but terrible accessibility, I’m not so gone on the sick kids in PT argument, I’d be more thinking of people driving up from the country or the man who does a days work and goes to see his sick child in the evening after dinner he isn’t going to time a bus. Parking is already tight in Jamess in the evenings and after the build I would be surprised if the limited free local parking survives the builders parking there. This will add hundreds of extra people visiting and working in a small site with existing access issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Temple Street hospital is in a bad state but Crumlin hospital was built in the 20th century. So why wasn't the new NCH based on the idea of building an extension to Crumlin hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Temple Street hospital is in a bad state but Crumlin hospital was built in the 20th century. So why wasn't the new NCH based on the idea of building an extension to Crumlin hospital?
    Recommendation was that it be near a teaching hospital, thus the really stupid Mater proposal but St James eventually ticked those boxes.

There is nowhere to extend Crumlin hospital it’s on a small site already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0516/1049773-nch_pac/
    It has now emerged that the same personnel from the consultancy firm who had provided advice to the HSE in November on its decision to proceed with the project, were involved in the review into spending.

At a meeting of the PAC this morning, Social Democrats TD Catherine Murphy, said: "The people were essentially being asked if they agreed with themselves, that is what this is."
    In a submission to the committee last night, the HSE said some PwC personnel involved in providing input into the project in November were also part of the team who carried out the review into cost overruns.

It said there was no conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

so fed up with this type of crap...

we'll be plamásed in the budget with a few quid reduction in our tax bill with talk of prudent fiscal management when in reality billions can be found easily for the connected..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

lawred2 wrote: »
    so fed up with this type of crap...

we'll be plamásed in the budget with a few quid reduction in our tax bill with talk of prudent fiscal management when in reality billions can be found easily for the connected..

Yep, the Irish electorate is so submissive. The TDs must have a good giggle at us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Bruton is a disgrace this week , every evening on the news it was millions here there and everywhere as if it was confetti

Bruton is a disgrace this week , every evening on the news it was millions here there and everywhere as if it was confetti
    Joan or Richard Bruton?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭Allinall

Is there a point there somewhere?

It's the government's job to spend millions "here, there and everywhere" on our behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Allinall wrote: »

It's the government's job to spend millions "here, there and everywhere" on our behalf.

Yep. €67 billion this year

35% of it on Social Welfare (about €24 billion)

30% in Health (about €20 billion)

18% in Education (about €12 billion)

And if we don't like they way in which they're spending it on our behalf, we can always elect another government to perform the same function.

Because - as we all know - the loud-mouthed know-alls on the opposition benches would DEFINITELY have been able to deliver the NCH for half the price and in half the time! (using the exact same bureaucracy and tendering process!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Allinall wrote: »

Nope value for money. And they talk about just spending as if it was to appease the public for every problem there it. Problem here just throw millions at it. Sounds good when I ****e this out. When the reality is it needs better managing. Not money. No amount of money will fix the health service for example.
    And those who say no transport for a green field site.
    How many billion would it take to extend the Luas for example. 1.7?

Advertisement