Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what time will you be back at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

thanks for the heads up, I don't see anything on the race T&C's but will email them, cheers.

And to clarify.....my fellow grads are part of my family....that's a given! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »

And to clarify.....my fellow grads are part of my family....that's a given! :D

Glad to see we've been promoted from 'weird internet running friends' status. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Good on ya starting a log. I'm impressed with myself that I found it in such a short space of time :o Your training looks to be going really well. Hope the foot is feeling better. I know at this stage the body is feeling very beat up. Personally I love tapering, cant wait for it!

Good on ya starting a log. I'm impressed with myself that I found it in such a short space of time :o Your training looks to be going really well. Hope the foot is feeling better. I know at this stage the body is feeling very beat up. Personally I love tapering, cant wait for it!

Thanks very much strawberry, yeah training going well so far. Not feeling too bad at the minute.

So the big final week of running arrived! I've been feeling running/plan fatigue the last week or so, so I knew if once I get through this week, it will be all downhill to the race.

Monday: rest day!

Tuesday: Plan was for 60mins, only got 50mins in as I was in a rush with work. Pace was 10.05min miles. Nothing really to say here, just another run ticked off the plan.

Wednesday: I had a meeting at 8am in rathgar, so no chance of an early run. I don't know why but going the entire day waiting to run doesn't suit me at all. The plan was 75min moderate pace. Headed down to Swords estuary at about 6pm, lots of runners out. Got 8miles done at 9:28min miles. Feeling stronger with each run.

Thursday: I knew running again so close to night before I would be feeling some tiredness so rather than the planned 60mins I only did 50min at easy pace of 10:14min miles....was looking forward to my Friday rest day now!

Friday: rest day- mentally, this was the day that I was starting to get angstie thinking about the Sunday last long run

Saturday: A nice easy 60min run ahead of Sundays long run, pace was 10:04min miles. The Sunday run is now all consuming. We had two easter egg hunts today for the kids in the two sets of grandparents house as we are away in Wexford next weekend. Had no chocolate but just the biggest lump of Apple tart!!! Drinking water most of the day. Big bowl of pasta around 6pm ahead of the next day.

Never checked the weather for Dublin once as I was too busy checking the weather for a friend running Connamarathon (its definitely on the bucket list, looks savage!)

Sunday: Woke as normal at 6.30am, bowl of wheetabix and a banana, got the hydration and jelly babies packed and off I went.

Plan was 3hr run, but I wanted to get 20miles into me so I knew I would be out longer. The girls headed off to Dumbo so I knew my wife wouldn't be cracking up in the house.

Actual: 20.77miles at 10:06 min miles!

It was such an enjoyable run, the wind was really strong on the coast at Portmarnock, pushing me out of my stride several times (this will stand to me I kept repeating!!). I ran a few "quicker" miles late on at pace around 9:45- felt grand. I really didn't feel the distance in my legs till about 18miles in- really happy about this. All in all a great last run before taper.

Running with music really helps distract me: some highlights yesterday: Rage Against the Machine-Sleep now in the fire, Edwin Starr- War, Talking Heads- Psycho Killer and Wolfmother-Woman.

Got home and ate everything around me, and waited for the results from my fellow novices to come in from the GIR- amazing PB's from so many in tough conditions!

So that's it, the training block almost complete, tapering down now.

Body check: not too bad, soreness in the legs but I'd expect that after yesterday. My first sports massage or "leg loosener" on Tuesday night. Feet seem good since I got the arch support.

Some questions:
    What "solid" food do people eat during a marathon- felt a little hungry yesterday, so just curious?
    Next Sundays plan is for 2hours- this feels a bit too much at the minute- any harm running just 90mins?
    The tempo run this week is 30mins-should I still run the warm up and cool down miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great week F and rounded out with a great long run, well done! You're sure putting in the hard work :)

With your questions..I've never tried solid food purposely during a marathon but did have a jaffa cake in Limerick for the craic :p
    I'd say go with whatever you think you need in terms of the long run next week. Maybe think back to how you felt that far out before DCM; did you think you needed more rest before D-Day etc?
    I'd say definitely keep the warm-up and cool down, maybe shorten them by 5 mins if you're worried about fatigue but once you keep them easy enough I wouldn't worry so much?

Cheers V

Might carry a few fredo bars with me so.....don't want to be getting hangry at mile 17.....I'm not myself when I'm hungry!

The tempo run makes sense, and yeah I might cut the 2hrs back a little, thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Are you still planning on tailwind for the day? That should keep you filled up. I’ve never felt hungry during a marathon taking gels regularly besides my first when I didn’t take them often enough.

Agree with V on the warm up and cool down etc. Shorten them if necessary but do them and make them very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi F. I was just looking at your questions above. Firstly on the food question... remember you will be well stocked with carbs in the few days before the marathon. I'd stick with tailwind or your chosen gels rather than risk trying solid foods on the day if eating solids isn't something you have trialled on long runs during the plan.

As for the long run... I would just repeat my favourite bits of advice, trust the plan and also to slow it down.

The taper is well planned. You will recover over the next couple of weeks. If you are concerned about fatigue I would slow the run and do the full two hours. Remember that with a 9:09 target pace there is no problem with doing the long run at 10:30/11:00 mins per mile. You don't need to be keeping it around 10 min even as your 20 miler was.

Best of luck in Belfast. Trust the taper. These weeks are the time when your mind plays tricks with you and you might wonder have you undertrained, the next day be thinking that you undertrained! It's a good plan which you have followed with great diligence...now finish it out and run well in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,
    Yeah, it’s not as if I’m going to be cracking open a ham sambo at mile 17.....although!!!!

In hindsight, I’m sure I can “survive” without food for 4+ hours, can’t I? Ha ha.

Yeah, I’ll be on the tailwind for the Marathon rather than gels, as much as it’s possible to enjoy, I’m “enjoying” it.

Yeah, re plan, I ran a tempo run yesterday with a warm up and cool down, so probably just some maranoia kicking in. And yeah I’ll do the full 2hrs on Sunday too, the question was probably based on feeling tired post the last long run.

Thanks again

Belfast wk13: total miles this week was 31.7miles

Monday: rest day- feeling reasonably OK after previous days last run

Tuesday: plan was for 50mins. I was just short at 49mins and 4.8miles. Again, body was feeling not too bad.

First sports massage that night. Wasn't going for any particular injury, more so that it was recommended I get one with this training block almost complete. The sports therapist told me I had one leg longer than the other....my wife had a good laugh at me/that. Any ways, I'm glad I went.

Wednesday: plan was for a 30 min tempo. I enjoyed these sessions a lot. Ran the warm up and cool down.

Thursday: was heading to Wexford for a few days family holiday, and I dropped the kids to Easter camp first before heading out for the planned 50min easy- only got 45mins done as we were rushing to pack etc.

Friday: rest day- not really much rest on a family holiday-who knew crazy golf could be that tiring! A really enjoyable few days of swimming, go karts, swings and crazy golf.

Saturday: back from Wexford in the afternoon so only got today's planned 50min 5mile run done at 4pm and it was bloody hot!

I don't like afternoon then morning runs being so close together but couldn't be helped.

Sunday: plan was for 2hr run which worked out at just short of 12miles. My last run for awhile along the estuary and coast-have loved the views, sights and sounds of this route.

Didn't enjoy the run at all, felt tired throughout, a result of the holiday and the previous day's afternoon run.

It felt tougher than the previous weeks 21 miler, I think we build up the last long run as the tough one but actually it's the long run after the long run that's the tough one mentally......if that makes sense.

Hydration pack of tailwind is working well, interestingly I only half filled it and I went dry with a mile and a half to go- lesson learned for two weeks time.

Another really warm morning- I don't do well in the heat.

Glad that run was over.

Music highlights from the long run: Ike and Tina "nut bush city limits" came on at a time I needed a lift and wu tang "gravel pit" helped too.

Major drop in miles this week, rest recover......and get ready!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sunday: plan was for 2hr run which worked out at just short of 12miles. My last run for awhile along the estuary and coast-have loved the views, sights and sounds of this route.

Didn't enjoy the run at all, felt tired throughout, a result of the holiday and the previous day's afternoon run.

It felt tougher than the previous weeks 21 miler, I think we build up the last long run as the tough one but actually it's the long run after the long run that's the tough one mentally......if that makes sense.

I remember feeling the exact same at the same stage of the DCM plan. I think I was so used to 16/18/20 milers that when it was "only" 12 miles I took it a bit for granted and underestimated the task at hand. Easy to do, and definitely a mental thing, although probably a bit of cumulative tiredness in the legs too.

I must make special mention of your Wolfmother shout-out last week. Spent a good while going down youtube rabbit holes as a result - time well spent!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I remember feeling the exact same at the same stage of the DCM plan. I think I was so used to 16/18/20 milers that when it was "only" 12 miles I took it a bit for granted and underestimated the task at hand. Easy to do, and definitely a mental thing, although probably a bit of cumulative tiredness in the legs too.

I must make special mention of your Wolfmother shout-out last week. Spent a good while going down youtube rabbit holes as a result - time well spent!

Yeah it felt like a cumulative heaviness in the legs!

Ah yeah wolfmother are quality- nice and loud- I always turn the volume up to 11 which is one louder than 10.

Belfast wk 14
    Total miles this year/training block: 508miles

Last week of training complete, a week where my legs have felt heavy during each run, expected I presume as I didn't do a planned taper for DCM as I didn't run two weeks prior to DCM due to a foot injury.....is this what maranoia feels like!!!!

Bank holiday Monday: supposed to be a rest day but played 9 holes of ****e golf in deer park instead, reminded very quickly why I took up running. It was supposed to prep for my first work golf society outing on Thursday but made confidence even lower

Tuesday: 40min easy which worked out as 3.8 miles at 10.19 per mile. As above, legs were feeling heavy and I just need to complete the plan. No injuries to report, just feeling heavy.

Wednesday: plan was 15 min tempo*2 with a 5 min jog in between which worked out as 4 miles at 9.04 per mile. A bit of speed that day helped me.

Thursday: another 40 min easy run which worked out as 3.9 miles at 10.15 per mile.
    Played 18holes with Work Golf society in really heavy rain....came 2nd and a €30 prize....*loves Golf again*

Saturday: another 40 min easy pace run in a storm, which worked out as 3.9miles at 10.07 min per mile. Watched "where dreams go to die" that night.....things aren't that bad!!!

Sunday: 75 min easy run which worked out as 7.2 miles at 10.22. The race strategy is swirling through my brain during this run, working out different scenarios, the ifs, the buts and the coconuts.

Have eaten well this week, have kept myself well hydrated all week....one more weeks discipline required.

I am doing the driving up and back to Belfast next Sunday, wouldn't normally volunteer, so an added factor to think about.

Am I ready physically? Yes, I definitely feel I am more prepared physically than DCM. Just passed the 500 mile mark for this training block and lots of "easy" miles in the legs.

Am I mentally ready? As much as I can be, it's going to be tough, I am pushing my limit.....but I ain't here just to pick up a t shirt. 4.23 is the pb to beat.

Goal A: to finish, and ehhh get the t shirt

Goal B: 3:59:59

Goal C: 4:10

A busy week ahead before the race...a job interview Friday, my 9 year old daughters birthday party in TGI Fridays on Saturday evening and a 2 hour drive to Belfast early Sunday morning.

Taper time is hard, no doubt about it. You’ll be just fine though and looking forward to hearing how you get on. Best of luck in the job interview on Friday.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Taper time is hard, no doubt about it. You’ll be just fine though and looking forward to hearing how you get on. Best of luck in the job interview on Friday.

Thanks k, looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Belfast wk 14
    Total miles this year/training block: 508miles

Last week of training complete, a week where my legs have felt heavy during each run, expected I presume as I didn't do a planned taper for DCM as I didn't run two weeks prior to DCM due to a foot injury.....is this what maranoia feels like!!!!

Bank holiday Monday: supposed to be a rest day but played 9 holes of ****e golf in deer park instead, reminded very quickly why I took up running. It was supposed to prep for my first work golf society outing on Thursday but made confidence even lower

Tuesday: 40min easy which worked out as 3.8 miles at 10.19 per mile. As above, legs were feeling heavy and I just need to complete the plan. No injuries to report, just feeling heavy.

Wednesday: plan was 15 min tempo*2 with a 5 min jog in between which worked out as 4 miles at 9.04 per mile. A bit of speed that day helped me.

Thursday: another 40 min easy run which worked out as 3.9 miles at 10.15 per mile.
    Played 18holes with Work Golf society in really heavy rain....came 2nd and a €30 prize....*loves Golf again*

Saturday: another 40 min easy pace run in a storm, which worked out as 3.9miles at 10.07 min per mile. Watched "where dreams go to die" that night.....things aren't that bad!!!

Sunday: 75 min easy run which worked out as 7.2 miles at 10.22. The race strategy is swirling through my brain during this run, working out different scenarios, the ifs, the buts and the coconuts.

Have eaten well this week, have kept myself well hydrated all week....one more weeks discipline required.

I am doing the driving up and back to Belfast next Sunday, wouldn't normally volunteer, so an added factor to think about.

Am I ready physically? Yes, I definitely feel I am more prepared physically than DCM. Just passed the 500 mile mark for this training block and lots of "easy" miles in the legs.

Am I mentally ready? As much as I can be, it's going to be tough, I am pushing my limit.....but I ain't here just to pick up a tee shirt. 4.23 is the pb to beat.

Goal A: to finish, and ehhh get the tee shirt

Goal B: 3:59:59

Goal C: 4:10

A busy week ahead before the race...a job interview Friday, my 9 year old daughters birthday party in TGI Fridays on Saturday evening and a 2 hour drive to Belfast early Sunday morning.

You're more than ready now F. We're all rooting for you!!!

coogy wrote: »
    You're more than ready now F. We're all rooting for you!!!

Cheers k- looking forward to the challenge ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

:pac: fickle

Have a good week, F, good plan to lose the spire costume :D

juke wrote: »
    :pac: fickle

Have a good week, F, good plan to lose the spire costume :D

Thanks j, love that clip, imagine how much of a mush their brain was....then having to duck their costume under the barriers!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

It's the final countdown... Its been great following your training F. You can do no more now so just enjoy the race.

Good luck with the interview on Friday.

Thanks J, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Hey F, just wanted to wish you lots of luck with the interview Friday and then your marathon on Sunday.
    I will be keeping an eye out for your upload on Strava. Hope you get your time, you deserve it. So looking forward to reading your race report.

Hey F, just wanted to wish you lots of luck with the interview Friday and then your marathon on Sunday.
    I will be keeping an eye out for your upload on Strava. Hope you get your time, you deserve it. So looking forward to reading your race report.

Cheers L, appreciate that. Don't worry, the DCM whatsapp family will be one of the first to know how it all went :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Best of luck Sunday. And for the interview too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Best of luck on Sunday F, enjoy it, look forward to the seeing your update on Strava.

Good luck with the interview too, hope it goes well.

Best of luck Sunday. And for the interview too.

Thanks very much

yido1882 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday F, enjoy it, look forward to the seeing your update on Strava.

Good luck with the interview too, hope it goes well.

Thanks very much, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You've a busy few days ahead!! Hope it all goes smoothly and good luck with the important bits ;) Will be looking forward to seeing how you go on Sunday

eyrie wrote: »
    You've a busy few days ahead!! Hope it all goes smoothly and good luck with the important bits ;) Will be looking forward to seeing how you go on Sunday

Thanks eyrie-much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

F, well done on the training in the lead up to Belfast. You've been very committed and it's been really great to follow!
    Best of luck on Sunday, had a look at the weather there, seems fairly good for running?! I don't think there's a tracker for Belfast so yes you better let us all know on WhatsApp fairly quickly - actually, maybe give your phone to someone else who can update us in real time :p
    Hope you enjoy it!

ReeReeG wrote: »
    F, well done on the training in the lead up to Belfast. You've been very committed and it's been really great to follow!
    Best of luck on Sunday, had a look at the weather there, seems fairly good for running?! I don't think there's a tracker for Belfast so yes you better let us all know on WhatsApp fairly quickly - actually, maybe give your phone to someone else who can update us in real time :p
    Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks V, really appreciate it, the emotions are very close to the surface during tapering week *reapplies mascara*

yeah its a bit sh*t that there is no live tracking....there is a youtube live feed of the finish line.....better get the hair done!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on Sunday F. You've trained really well so hopefully it goes well on the day for you. Best of luck with the interview too!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday F. You've trained really well so hopefully it goes well on the day for you. Best of luck with the interview too!

Thanks A, appreciate that.

Hope the interview went well today F and best of luck for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hope you have a super run on Sunday F, you've certainly nailed the training so be confident of that. Run well and enjoy it!

Thank you both! It’s the waiting that kills ye isn't it?

I’m feeling good, nerves are shot, but that’s ok too.

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck in Belfast Sunday, training is done, run well!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck in Belfast Sunday, training is done, run well!!

Thanks very much, and thanks again for the advice over the last number of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

All the best for Sunday. Keep it between the ditches!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    All the best for Sunday. Keep it between the ditches!

Thanks S- looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow. You’ve a nicely consistent block of training behind you and every reason to be confident. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. You’ve a nicely consistent block of training behind you and every reason to be confident. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Thanks very much E!

Best of luck tomorrow F, though as I said earlier I don't think you will need it. Your training was spot on. I remember you saying something to me before Manchester and now I can say it to you , "go get that medal!"

You got this.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Best of luck tomorrow, you've all the hard work put in and tomorrow you'll reap the benefits and have a great race.

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow F, though as I said earlier I don't think you will need it. Your training was spot on. I remember you saying something to me before Manchester and now I can say it to you , "go get that medal!"

You got this.

Ah thanks L, very kind.

The nerves have been building since yesterday afternoon, starting to relax now, I really don’t like the waiting game!!

tbukela wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, you've all the hard work put in and tomorrow you'll reap the benefits and have a great race.

Thanks tbukela, very kind

Unofficial 4:16. It was hellish. My hips and top of legs got really sore and painful from mile 14. I’ll write more later. A 7 min pb on dcm.

Everyone ran around 26.8miles.....not cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Unofficial 4:16. It was hellish. My hips and top of legs got really sore and painful from mile 14. I’ll write more later. A 7 min pb on dcm.

Well done, sounds like it was tough going so to run a PB is a great result. 26.8 miles, jeez that’s WAY long!!!

Delighted it's the over for you. Those final miles take you to hell and back. To run in pain from mile 14 shows how tough you are. You'd need to be incredibly focused to not bail in those conditions. Nothing in there whatsoever to be disappointed with.
    A 7 minute PB!! That's freaking awesome. Hope you have your feet up now and are enjoying the celebrations and lovely post marathon high.

You just ran a god damn marathon. It's an unforgiving distance and she takes no prisoners.
    You rock buddy!

Can't wait to read your report.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement