Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    Well Scotland is not independent. I personally am not that fussed on joining with the Scots. I enjoy the diversity of the UK and appreciate all regions. Had a holiday recently in Torquay and also a few years ago in kings Lyn, not to mention Edinburgh and Stirling. and love the diversity

Torquay was beautiful. And was surprised to find King Billy statue in Paignton:-)

The Great Pyramid of Giza, The Coliseum in Rome, The Acropolis of Athens, The Taj Mahal, The Great Wall of China.....a statue of King Billy outside Torquay....one of those things isnt like the others.

Perhaps you'd be impressed by some things should you expand your horizons a little. Theres a whole world out there outside your precious United Kingdom.

I would happily list Stonehenge with any of the above (bar one, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The Great Pyramid of Giza, The Coliseum in Rome, The Acropolis of Athens, The Taj Mahal, The Great Wall of China.....a statue of King Billy outside Torquay....one of those things isnt like the others.

Perhaps you'd be impressed by some things should you expand your horizons a little. Theres a whole world out there outside your precious United Kingdom.

I would happily list Stonehenge with any of the above (bar one, of course)

Fionn. You sound like some friends who I have who try and tell me which wine it is ok to like. You need to stop worrying about what people think or fitting in with the norm. I enjoyed seeing King Billy in Paignton but I didn’t fall to my knees and worship him.
    I visited Norte dame in 2016 when over at the euros and it is without question the most impressive building I have ever been in. But tomorrow I might be more inspired by a sand castle made by a kid.
    Open your eyes and enjoy everything around you. Sometimes an overnight shelter built by marginalised young people is far more impressive than Stonehenge.
    It’s interesting that you think I need to broaden my horizons!

And I am still more impressed with some 11th night boney constructions than with stonehenge

Fionn. You sound like some friends who have who try and tell me which wine it is ok to like. You need to stop worrying about what people think or fitting in with the norm. I enjoyed seeing King Billy in Paignton but I didn’t fall to my knees and worship him.
    I visited Norte dame in 2016 when over at the euros and it is without question the most impressive building I have ever been in. But tomorrow I might be more inspired by a sand castle made by a kid.
    Open your eyes and enjoy everything around you. Sometimes an overnight shelter built by young marginalised young people is far more impressive than Stonehenge.
    It’s interesting that you think I need to broaden my horizons!

And I am still more impressed with some 11th night boney constructions that with stonehenge

Ah now, I was being light hearted with that one, Downcow. Only a bit of teasing. Outside of Ireland, and perhaps France, I've seen more sights in the UK than anywhere else.

I may not agree with Unionism, or the continued partition of Ireland, but I have no problem with acknowledging that anywhere with the UK's historical significance is full of interesting sights.

A shelter built by marginalised young people is certainly impressive, perhaps not so impressive as Stonehenge to me, but for entirely different reasons (though your argument there surely applies a thousand times over to your statue of King Billy...)

Also, I'd never tell you which wine to like, might suggest a few Scotches to try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,859 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If NI was to leave the union why couldn't they pursue an alliance with an independent Scotland?Is there a reason why this would be a none starter?
    NI can pursue any alliance they wish if the can persuade the SOS that the numbers wishing for it requires a vote on the matter.
    I agree. Those who support NI (unionists) don’t own NI anymore that Irish own roi or English own England. But we are the majority and therefore can decide it’s future. We do though need to do that with total compassion to the minority nationalist population.
    So yes I agree with you. The key it’s compassion and respect.

So why would you turn your back on a UI, when the 'majority' decide on it? Are you only a democrat/full citizen when your side have the majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Reading many post hear, I would find it informative if I could get a handle on the all-Island stuff.

Are you guys suggesting that land masses should only contain one nation (in a perfect world)?
    ...and I’m not trying to be smart and trap you so I’ll give you my next question. Should gb be one island? Do you beloevr in the right of the basque, Catalans, palistinians etc to self determination ?
    I genuinely really struggle with the starting point of many on here. Which seems to be that Ireland should be united and somehow partition is just plain wrong?

Depends on the size of the land mass in my view. For what it's worth I do think that Britain should be one country. For two islands the size of ours ( Britain and Ireland) it doesn't make much sense for each to be divided. Different thing when it comes to the other examples you mention, which are part of larger continents.

• Advertisement

Ah now, I was being light hearted with that one, Downcow. Only a bit of teasing. Outside of Ireland, and perhaps France, I've seen more sights in the UK than anywhere else.

I may not agree with Unionism, or the continued partition of Ireland, but I have no problem with acknowledging that anywhere with the UK's historical significance is full of interesting sights.

A shelter built by marginalised young people is certainly impressive, perhaps not so impressive as Stonehenge to me, but for entirely different reasons (though your argument there surely applies a thousand times over to your statue of King Billy...)

Also, I'd never tell you which wine to like, might suggest a few Scotches to try though.

Ok so you were starting to sound like people who tell me which wine I should like the taste of. I guess you have met similar people.
    Well I am happy that you enjoy tajmahal etc.
    I enjoy some fairly simple stuff. I am now to old to be arsed staying up to midnight for a fire to be lit but I used to absolutely love it. And i wasn’t feeling in the slightest sectarian.
    I just feel it’s sad that some nationalists can’t concentrate on enjoying their culture eg big Gaelic games, which i imagine are great crack,
    Just let our young people get on with what they love and enjoy.
    I have never ever heard a unionist young person express any problem with Gaelic games or even notice that they are happening.
    Let the communities on this island get on with their cultural stuff whether Ramadan, st paddy’s, 12th whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We do though need to do that with total compassion to the minority nationalist population.

We? As far as I know the numbers of people from a PUL background are roughly equal to those of a CNR background and both are less than 50% making both minorities of the total population.

Unionists need to start selling the merits of UK jurisdiction to the majority from now on and they're doing a truly terrible job of it.

We? As far as I know the numbers of people from a PUL background are roughly equal to those of a CNR background and both are less than 50% making both minorities of the total population.

Unionists need to start selling the merits of UK jurisdiction to the majority from now on and they're doing a truly terrible job of it.

Well giving polling results it seems nationalists are doing an even worse job. Membership of the UK sells itself with nhs, diversity, major world economy, etc. Think roi need to stop worrying about attractions of UK and get up a gear with their own pr

Ok so you were starting to sound like people who tell me which wine I should like the taste of. I guess you have met similar people.
    Well I am happy that you enjoy tajmahal etc.
    I enjoy some fairly simple stuff. I am now to old to be arsed staying up to midnight for a fire to be lit but I used to absolutely love it. And i wasn’t feeling in the slightest sectarian.
    I just feel it’s sad that some nationalists can’t concentrate on enjoying their culture eg big Gaelic games, which i imagine are great crack,
    Just let our young people get on with what they love and enjoy.
    I have never ever heard a unionist young person express any problem with Gaelic games or even notice that they are happening.
    Let the communities on this island get on with their cultural stuff whether Ramadan, st paddy’s, 12th whatever.

In all seriousness, I popped along very briefly to see what all the fuss was about to the 11th night fire in the Village in Belfast about ten years back, I'm far from convinced that what I saw there had anything to do with the young people. I'm sure some are, but I'm certain there are plenty which are absolutely not suitable for youths. You say you weren't feeling sectarian....in my lifetime, I've personally never seen nor heard of a single 11th night fire that wasn't adorned in a very sectarian manner, so I don't know how you dissociate the two.

Regarding never hearing a young Unionist say a bad word about Gaelic games.....I presume you've never heard of Jamie Bryson then so? I wont bring up your own past critiques of what goes on with the GAA, solely because you specified young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

NI can pursue any alliance they wish if the can persuade the SOS that the numbers wishing for it requires a vote on the matter.

So why would you turn your back on a UI, when the 'majority' decide on it? Are you only a democrat/full citizen when your side have the majority?
    Be fair Francie,you haven't got the exclusive rights on caring for your country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Membership of the UK sells itself with nhs

It's not nearly as good as it once was but it is an asset. I'd like to see a single tier NHS style system implemented in a UI, an all Ireland NHS.
    diversity

In the north? Don't make me laugh. The north is one of the least diverse, most backward, places in these islands and much of that is due to unionist politicians.
    major world economy

London and the south of England are wealthy. The north is an economic basket case.

Be fair Francie,you haven't got the exclusive rights on caring for your country.

If the rest of the island do this:
    downcow wrote:
    But we are the majority and therefore can decide it’s future. We do though need to do that with total compassion to the minority nationalist unionist population.

why would downcow turn his back on that, as he said he would do?

In all seriousness, I popped along very briefly to see what all the fuss was about to the 11th night fire in the Village in Belfast about ten years back, I'm far from convinced that what I saw there had anything to do with the young people. I'm sure some are, but I'm certain there are plenty which are absolutely not suitable for youths. You say you weren't feeling sectarian....in my lifetime, I've personally never seen nor heard of a single 11th night fire that wasn't adorned in a very sectarian manner, so I don't know how you dissociate the two..

I attended a bonfire in sandy row 20 years ago and it could certainly be described as sectarian. But I also attended a st pats parade in Downpatrick and it was equally as sectarian. Ok it wasn’t dark and prob therefore not as scary but the sentiments were exactly the same.
    I have also been to several other bonfires and (I almost typed that they weren’t sectarian but I like honesty) - it was the unionist community partying so i guess it was sectarian but not nasty and intended to exclude.
    But I don’t think you guys get it that your fleadhs and gaa gatherings are equally as sectarian

I attended a bonfire in sandy row 20 years ago and it could certainly be described as sectarian. But I also attended a st pats parade in Downpatrick and it was equally as sectarian. Ok it wasn’t dark and prob therefore not as scary but the sentiments were exactly the same.
    I have also been to several other bonfires and (I almost typed that they weren’t sectarian but I like honesty) - it was the unionist community partying so i guess it was sectarian but not nasty and intended to exclude.
    But I don’t think you guys get it that your fleadhs and gaa gatherings are equally as sectarian

I've never been to a single GAA match or Fleadh that involved burning union flags or the likes....I've yet to see an 11th night bonfire that didn't involve burning Irish tricolours.

One could argue that the small number of GAA clubs named in memory of IRA members is sectarian, I wouldn't disagree (yada yada yada, Loyalist bands named after Loyalist paramilitaries whataboutery), but I'd see a significant difference between remembering the dead, and burning effigies and symbols which represent, 'themmuns'.

For the record, how many Union flags did you see set on fire at a St Patrick's parade? Or are you just considering anything Irish sectarian? My issue with 11th night/12th parading isn't anything to do with the celebration or acknowledgement of your culture, it's to do with the active and intentional disrespect towards mine, from the aforementioned fire antics, through to marching in circles in front of Catholic churches and playing the innocent fool with, 'Sloop John B'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Francie, I think we all know why you are ducking and diving such a simple question.
    You've obviously been searching Google again to come up with these quotes so why not just name one of these mystery "Orange bands" that have received funding
    And I promise you I will not say funding is not really funding.
    I will be completely honest in my response to your answer. And I will apologise if that's appropriate . But I warn you again I am going to be as pedantic as you were when I made the original comment

I work in the community sector, so I have a fair idea where to look for that kind of information.

Easily found if you know where to look.

In 2016/17 alone the following got funding:

Armagh Old Boys' Silver Band 5,000
    Augharan Pipe Band 4,950
    Aughnahoory Pipe Band 5,000
    Aughnaskeagh Silver Band 1,980
    Ballyclare Protestant Boys 3,060
    Ballygowan Pipe Band 3,685
    Ballymartin Pipe Band 5,000
    Ballymena and Harryville Young Conqueror 5,000
    Ballymoughan Flute Band 3,648
    Ballynarrig Pride Of Orange Flute Band Limavady 3,816
    Ballyreagh Silver Band 5,000
    Barr Jubilee Pipe Band 4,275
    Belfast Citadel Salvation Army Band 5,000
    Boveedy Flute Band 4,950
    Boveva Flute Band 5,000
    Brackey Flute Band 2,811
    Braniel Loyal Flute Band 5,000
    Brantry Pipe Band 3,787
    Brookeborough Flute Band 3,759
    Burntollet Sons of Ulster 4,406
    Carnagh Accordion Band 5,000
    Churchill Flute Band 4,690
    Cleland Memorial Pipe Band 4,347
    Cloughfin Pipe Band 4,500
    Colmcille Pipe Band 4,481
    Comber Brass 4,800
    Corkley Pipe Band 3,195
    Rising Sons of William Flute Band 4,552
    Cranfield Accordion Band 5,000
    Drumquin Pipe Band 5,000
    Dyan Pipe Band 3,674
    Gilnahirk Pipe Band 5,000
    Hollymount Pipe Band 2,764
    Killycopple Accordion Band 4,668
    Killymuck Accordion Band 4,830
    Kingsmills Flute Band 5,000
    Kirkistown Pipe Band 4,935
    Laganvalley flute band 5,000
    Lisnamulligan Pipe Band 5,000
    Maghera Sons of William 4,707
    McMaster Memorial Accordion Band (Kilwaughter) 4,334
    Millar Memorial Flute Band 4,342
    Moneymore Flute Band 1,365
    Mosside Independent Accordion Band 5,000
    Mountjoy Pipe Band 4,444
    Mullabrack Accordion Band 4,950
    Mullinagoagh Pipe Band 2,895
    Mulnagore Coronation Accordion Band 4,715
    Pride of the Maine Flute Band 5,000
    Pride of The Park Flute Band Armoy 5,000
    Pride of the Shore Flute Band Musical & Cultural Society 5,000

I won't claim that every one of these is what you would accept as an "orange band", but I am sure that most of them are. At a rough count, that is over £200,000 for a whole host of different orange bands in just one year. This is Arts Council funding. I am sure they get funding from other sources too, given my experience it would be surprising if there were not several different funding streams available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

London and the south of England are wealthy. The north is an economic basket case.

Plus

EU far > UK

ROI far > NI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

blanch152 wrote: »
    They speak Donegal Irish in Donegal, it is a different dialect to that which was spoken in the North until it died out in the North.

Try telling the people of Ring that the Irish they speak is Munster Irish, the same as that spoken in Dingle.

The Irish spoken in Ring is Munster Irish, there are some minor differences between the Irish spoken in Ring and West Kerry, but not much really. You are talking about slight differences in pronuncation of the same dialect of the same language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Apologies if I have taken that out of context. It had sounded to me like you felt a UI was somehow more legitimate than a UK.
    Genuinely sorry if I misunderstood you

Of course it is more legitimate than the UK. It will not have been created by one bit occupying the other and it will not be sectarian in nature.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I work in the community sector, so I have a fair idea where to look for that kind of information.

Easily found if you know where to look.

In 2016/17 alone the following got funding:

Armagh Old Boys' Silver Band 5,000
    Augharan Pipe Band 4,950
    Aughnahoory Pipe Band 5,000
    Aughnaskeagh Silver Band 1,980
    Ballyclare Protestant Boys 3,060
    Ballygowan Pipe Band 3,685
    Ballymartin Pipe Band 5,000
    Ballymena and Harryville Young Conqueror 5,000
    Ballymoughan Flute Band 3,648
    Ballynarrig Pride Of Orange Flute Band Limavady 3,816
    Ballyreagh Silver Band 5,000
    Barr Jubilee Pipe Band 4,275
    Belfast Citadel Salvation Army Band 5,000
    Boveedy Flute Band 4,950
    Boveva Flute Band 5,000
    Brackey Flute Band 2,811
    Braniel Loyal Flute Band 5,000
    Brantry Pipe Band 3,787
    Brookeborough Flute Band 3,759
    Burntollet Sons of Ulster 4,406
    Carnagh Accordion Band 5,000
    Churchill Flute Band 4,690
    Cleland Memorial Pipe Band 4,347
    Cloughfin Pipe Band 4,500
    Colmcille Pipe Band 4,481
    Comber Brass 4,800
    Corkley Pipe Band 3,195
    Rising Sons of William Flute Band 4,552
    Cranfield Accordion Band 5,000
    Drumquin Pipe Band 5,000
    Dyan Pipe Band 3,674
    Gilnahirk Pipe Band 5,000
    Hollymount Pipe Band 2,764
    Killycopple Accordion Band 4,668
    Killymuck Accordion Band 4,830
    Kingsmills Flute Band 5,000
    Kirkistown Pipe Band 4,935
    Laganvalley flute band 5,000
    Lisnamulligan Pipe Band 5,000
    Maghera Sons of William 4,707
    McMaster Memorial Accordion Band (Kilwaughter) 4,334
    Millar Memorial Flute Band 4,342
    Moneymore Flute Band 1,365
    Mosside Independent Accordion Band 5,000
    Mountjoy Pipe Band 4,444
    Mullabrack Accordion Band 4,950
    Mullinagoagh Pipe Band 2,895
    Mulnagore Coronation Accordion Band 4,715
    Pride of the Maine Flute Band 5,000
    Pride of The Park Flute Band Armoy 5,000
    Pride of the Shore Flute Band Musical & Cultural Society 5,000

I won't claim that every one of these is what you would accept as an "orange band", but I am sure that most of them are. At a rough count, that is over £200,000 for a whole host of different orange bands in just one year. This is Arts Council funding. I am sure they get funding from other sources too, given my experience it would be surprising if there were not several different funding streams available to them.

I googled a few of those and they are attached to a LOL. Can't see how they fail the 'orange band' test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Well giving polling results it seems nationalists are doing an even worse job. Membership of the UK sells itself with nhs, diversity, major world economy, etc. Think roi need to stop worrying about attractions of UK and get up a gear with their own pr

Those are 3 things ireland are better at than the UK (obviously the UK is a powerhouse in the world economy, but ireland is punching way above its weight).

The nhs is a joke compared to the hse in my experience. Everyone thinks its great because it is free, but that is a fallacy.

Sure I pay for healthcare now that I have moved south, but I get a 10 times better service than I ever did from the nhs. Instant appointments and top medicines used from the get go.
    Where the nhs I had to wait 2 weeks just for a gp appointment! Because its free to many people abuse it. And because it is free they are more resistant to put you on the more expensive medicines.
    I have a chronic issue that the hse dealt with immediately by putting me on the cutting edge treatment for the issue. My brother also has it, but the nhs refuse to put him on the more expensive drugs. I can live a normal life, he has been in constant pain for the last 4 years.
    Things being free, does not always make them good. (the max you pay in the south is 800 per year)

Diversity, Sure England is quite diverse, but my experience of living at home and in Scotland, diversity is not accepted and quite frowned upon. (Brexit shows the latent racism in england too imo)

The biggest problem those seeking a UI face is convincing people the south is good/better. Because most are like myself, and before living here I believed NI was much more advanced and better in every way.
    Turns out, its NI that is stuck in the past and the south is decades ahead.

But when I can't convince fellow unionists that life is better in the south that it is at home, then I don't think any nationalist ever will.

(I am a millennial however, and most of my generation is more open minded compared to the older generations. Things should change for the better for both sides in the future. But education is still needed. Its the poor and low education areas where sectarianism is strongest still in both sides)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

They have more in common than any other proposed alliance or annexation -a lot of people in NI probably have more affinity with Scotland than Dublin and that would possibly be reciprocated.

There is no will in Scottish politics to become independent and adopt Northern Ireland. Just because the NI would be ok with it does not mean the Scottish would. I have not heard a single person in Scotland propose this and I doubt I ever will.

breatheme wrote: »
    There is no will in Scottish politics to become independent and adopt Northern Ireland. Just because the NI would be ok with it does not mean the Scottish would. I have not heard a single person in Scotland propose this and I doubt I ever will.

Has anyone ever done it at a political level either? Pie in the sky stuff to avoid were the island is headed - a decision on whether unity is the best way forward for all of us.
    We have had almost a 100 years of abject failure and have ended up with nothing with social division and an economic mess and with a fair proportion of citizens still being denied basic rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I liked your suggestion a few weeks ago about the possibility of a self governing Ulster with maybe Donegal in the mix-I wonder if there would be any appetite for an Ulster alliance with an independent Scotland-they have historical ties and that may be a better fit than rule by Dublin.

Off topic but

To be honest this is not something even discussed in Scotland. During the indy ref campaign, if anything the Scots were looking east rather than west - i.e Scandinavia. There is also a strong connection there and most Scots would be happy for an independent Scotland to be like those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well reading your masterplan all evening has prompted me into action.:rolleyes:

It wasn't a master plan. It was just me refuting the nonsense being spouted by a certain poster who heretofore has continued to let so many questions go unanswered. Not to say that I'm shocked at all at that.

There are none so blind as those who will not see...

I think your earlier suggestion of joint UK/Ireland sovereignty would be a better option.There are a lot of people in NI who are and identify as British and don’t want that to change.Unless there was a landslide referendum result in favour of a UI there may be massive civil unrest or even civil war.

So we should change the GFA to stop potential violence that may spring up because people didn't like the result of a mandated democratic vote?

That hardly seems fair now does it.

I wonder if Nationalists were the ones threatening violence would you be so considerate to their complaints. I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So we should change the GFA to stop potential violence that may spring up because people didn't like the result of a mandated democratic vote?

I wonder if Nationalists were the ones threatening violence would you be so considerate to their complaints. I highly doubt it.

There are people constantly looking for changes to the GFA, whether implicitly or explicitly.

For example, the SoS is only to call a border poll when it is likely that a majority will vote for unity, yet we have calls all the time from some politicians for a poll even though it remains likely that unity will be rejected.

If NI was to leave the union why couldn't they pursue an alliance with an independent Scotland?Is there a reason why this would be a none starter?

Simply because the only constitutional way the north leaves the UK is to join a UI.

Also, you do know that there's Nationalists in the north, a substantial amount at that, who will have a say.

Why would they suddenly do an about face when the dream is right there?

All of this nonsense talk is unionist Dreamland stuff as we near the scary scary border poll.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are people constantly looking for changes to the GFA, whether implicitly or explicitly.

For example, the SoS is only to call a border poll when it is likely that a majority will vote for unity, yet we have calls all the time from some politicians for a poll even though it remains likely that unity will be rejected.

Even you cannot be categorical about it.

The GFA states, if in 'the opinion of the SOS....'

Are you dictating what his/her 'opinion' should be?
    The UK's entire Brexit strategy is based on an 'opinion' of what the majority want, while nobody, in fact, actually knows what that is, although there are many 'opinions' on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

If there is a border referendum I would be disappointed if the result was to leave but that would be that-if it was a close run thing either way there maybe unrest-if the vote was 51% to 49% to remain do you think some republicans would be upset to see the dream fading and might cause civil unrest?Either side could do this.

• Advertisement

I googled a few of those and they are attached to a LOL. Can't see how they fail the 'orange band' test.

I am not disagreeing francie but give us some evidence of the ones that are attached to lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement