Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numerous HEO ICT PAS Roles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm applying for an AO ICT position as well as the HEO one in this thread. Can anyone tell me why an AO would be hired for ICT? At least on paper an AO should be working on policy and research etc. Is that how it is in practice for ICT AOs?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I'm an AO ICT. Do more or less same as HEO ICT to be honest. Like all departments, depends on where you land

I'm essentially a project manager and team manager, but others are in ICT policy or the likes or project management office. Some in testing units and others looking after mobile phone development

It's all pot luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffee table jazz

Yes, although I don't really do anything ICT related as an ICT HEO, I have a friend who is an AO in Revenue ICT and he does UX stuff and manages a team of developers. He's stressed to bits with his current job though, a world away from mine.

Thanks guys. There were murmurings in the AO general thread that AOs would be stopped getting put into roles that were more appropriate for HEOs. Do you think this will be the case in ICT?

I'm about to get placed from the AO general panel, so perhaps I'll just take my chances with the HEO ICT competition, if one might essentially get put into a HEO role anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

floorpie wrote: »
    Thanks guys. There were murmurings in the AO general thread that AOs would be stopped getting put into roles that were more appropriate for HEOs. Do you think this will be the case in ICT?

I'm about to get placed from the AO general panel, so perhaps I'll just take my chances with the HEO ICT competition, if one might essentially get put into a HEO role anyway.

People need to start viewing HEO and AO as equivalent grades. Despite what people believe, AO is not an exclusively policy based grade. There are AO ICTs in both Revenue and DSP. There are also numerous AOs in Revenue who work in Audit and Compliance areas with staff reporting to them. Apart from that, AOs are largely policy based roles. AO ICT and HEO ICT do the same jobs. Unions are asking for a clear delineation between both grades for years, but this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. If you're about to be placed as an AO, take it. You can still continue to participate in the HEO ICT competition. If successful in that competition and it interests you more, take it. A bird in the hand and all that....

• Advertisement

rostalof wrote: »
    People need to start viewing HEO and AO as equivalent grades. Despite what people believe, AO is not an exclusively policy based grade. There are AO ICTs in both Revenue and DSP. There are also numerous AOs in Revenue who work in Audit and Compliance areas with staff reporting to them. Apart from that, AOs are largely policy based roles. AO ICT and HEO ICT do the same jobs. Unions are asking for a clear delineation between both grades for years, but this doesn't seem to be going anywhere..

Should the grades be considered equivalent just because people at each grade are given the same tasks? The description of each grade is very different when applying, and the pay is very different also. I'd be miffed if I accepted an AO position over HEO (because I prefer the description) but my tasks were more like those of a HEO.
    If you're about to be placed as an AO, take it. You can still continue to participate in the HEO ICT competition. If successful in that competition and it interests you more, take it. A bird in the hand and all that...

That's the plan so far :)

People need to start viewing HEO and AO as equivalent grades. Despite what people believe, AO is not an exclusively policy based grade. There are AO ICTs in both Revenue and DSP. There are also numerous AOs in Revenue who work in Audit and Compliance areas with staff reporting to them. Apart from that, AOs are largely policy based roles. AO ICT and HEO ICT do the same jobs. Unions are asking for a clear delineation between both grades for years, but this doesn't seem to be going anywhere. If you're about to be placed as an AO, take it. You can still continue to participate in the HEO ICT competition. If successful in that competition and it interests you more, take it. A bird in the hand and all that....

here here

I'm confused but appreciate the perspectives of insiders: do you guys think the AO payscale should be the same as HEO but that the roles should be delineated, that AO and HEO should be merged because the roles are the same, or that overburdened/underpaid AOs with de facto HEO jobs should just accept it?

I'm confused but appreciate the perspectives of insiders: do you guys think the AO payscale should be the same as HEO but that the roles should be delineated, that AO and HEO should be merged because the roles are the same, or that overburdened/underpaid AOs with de facto HEO jobs should just accept it?

it's a bloody joke starting 15k or so less than HEO. Increments are higher but it's quite low. I understand its seen as a graduate role but for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Should the grades be considered equivalent just because people at each grade are given the same tasks? The description of each grade is very different when applying, and the pay is very different also. I'd be miffed if I accepted an AO position over HEO (because I prefer the description) but my tasks were more like those of a HEO.

THE AO ICT competition you've applied for, is that the Open AO ICT Competition being run by DSP? Look at the competencies for that competition and compare them to the HEO ICT competencies. Do they seem familiar?

• Advertisement

THE AO ICT competition you've applied for, is that the Open AO ICT Competition being run by DSP? Look at the competencies for that competition and compare them to the HEO ICT competencies. Do they seem familiar?

It is. The competences listed are the standard AO ones, so they're vaguely similar to HEO but less 'manager' focussed. But you're right actually and I hadn't noticed previously, the role spec mentions nothing policy or even leadership related and is very hands on dev and admin. It seems more like an EO role with a higher top of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerastiS

Yes, although I don't really do anything ICT related as an ICT HEO, I have a friend who is an AO in Revenue ICT and he does UX stuff and manages a team of developers. He's stressed to bits with his current job though, a world away from mine.

I consider myself a hard worker but for the salaries offered at AO/HEO it doesn't seem worth it to be stressed to bits in the job. Maybe my view of public sector is wrong but I would have thought less stress and better work/life balance is one of the benefits you're gaining for the reduced salary (and possibly less interesting/less "latest tech" work)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MCBrowne

Has anyone sat the ICT AO interview recently? If so what was it like? Does the interview differ much from that of a HEO? Was it technical focused or based on the competencies?
    Also, is there a set amount of time you would need to stay in the department before moving on for a role closer to home?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭doc22

MCBrowne wrote: »
    Has anyone sat the ICT AO interview recently? If so what was it like? Does the interview differ much from that of a HEO? Was it technical focused or based on the competencies?
    Also, is there a set amount of time you would need to stay in the department before moving on for a role closer to home?

It'll be based on the competencies but I'd guess the specialized Knowledge competency will be technically focused.

An AO won't be moving on transfer outside Dublin for a long time, it's 2years before you can move and a new AO will be at back of slow moving queue(i.e longer then 2 years) for most regions with mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 46 2not4get

Have there been any offers for this panel in the last couple of weeks ? I know there were a few in Jan but wondering if there is any movement lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PowerPlay33

I placed 4th on the HEO stream for Infrastructure and Operations - I got notified on Feb 2nd but haven't heard anything at all since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

I placed 4th on the HEO stream for Infrastructure and Operations - I got notified on Feb 2nd but haven't heard anything at all since.

Likewise, placed top 10 for Infrastructure and Operations, notified Feb 2nd but nothing as yet.

Has anyone from the HEO stream for Infrastructure and Operations got an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Melmoth the Wanderer

Howdy folks, top 10 as well and have heard nothing since the Feb 2 email. If I was to be honest I'm having very mixed feelings about taking any role if I'm lucky to be offered one.

It sounds like its very hit and miss with regard to where you might be placed and whether its an actual IT role.

TBH I'm down the country so the chances of me taking/being offered a role (given they are supposed to be mainly Dublin based) might be slim enough anyway.

Anyway best of luck to everyone, I hope you get a role that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Peggyk2

Anyone interviewed for HEO ICT digital transformation stream , was there many technical questions asked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PowerPlay33

I was offered a post that I wasn't able to accept due to location. Does that mean I'm gone from the panel altogether or just for that location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Melmoth the Wanderer

No, you're not off the panel AFAIK but if you got offered the same location and you kept refusing, then after a while they might tell you that you are off. You are better off telling them the locations you are interested in to hear about.

If you turned down Dublin (for example) because of location, theres no point getting offered other posts there. Most posts will be there..so you may as well tell them..hopefully something will come your way

• Registered Users Posts: 20 alannm37

agibbons wrote: »
    Likewise, placed top 10 for Infrastructure and Operations, notified Feb 2nd but nothing as yet.

Has anyone from the HEO stream for Infrastructure and Operations got an offer?

Hi there, any chance you could inform me on how the interview went. I was recently contacted for the 2nd batch of interviews from the comp last September. I'm aware of the EO competencies, but any specific area they seemed particularly interested in? How were the technical questions? Any help would be massively appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Did any one called for interview from the 2020 HEO ICT Infrastructure and Operations Reserve Panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Prejudice182

Entered the EO ICT competition, S/D stream. Placed 6th on the OOM after the online assessment, and 17th after the Zoom interview.
    Got the message about consideration of an position on 26th March, and formal offer today. I will be accepting the position, as it is local to me in Wexford.

Any interview scheduled for 2020 HEO ICT Infrastructure and Operations Reserve Panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Entered the EO ICT competition, S/D stream. Placed 6th on the OOM after the online assessment, and 17th after the Zoom interview.
    Got the message about consideration of an position on 26th March, and formal offer today. I will be accepting the position, as it is local to me in Wexford.

What type of work does the new position involve?

Any one working in ICT Procurement area in Public Sector?

What is the nature of the job? Is the job bit laid back or mad busy?

Is it worth moving from pure IT Support to ICT Procurement?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TestLink wrote: »
    Any one working in ICT Procurement area in Public Sector?

What is the nature of the job? Is the job bit laid back or mad busy?

Is it worth moving from pure IT Support to ICT Procurement?

Thanks...

Wouldn't be many people working solely in Procurement - usually Procurement is a key part of many roles. It is an important area, though largely administrative / commercial.

Wouldn't be many people working solely in Procurement - usually Procurement is a key part of many roles. It is an important area, though largely administrative / commercial.

Is it all admin work in ICT procurement? Doesnt like to stay away fully from Hands On Duties / IT Projects / IT Support etc as a come back to it might be difficult. Any word of advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TestLink wrote: »
    Is it all admin work in ICT procurement? Doesnt like to stay away fully from Hands On Duties / IT Projects / IT Support etc as a come back to it might be difficult. Any word of advice?

TBH, I've never come across a situation of someone working full time on procurement, outside of OGP itself. I'd have thought it is mostly admin/quasi-legal work, maybe some engagement with stakeholders on clarifying requirements.

But I'm just guessing really, so you might want to speak to whoever is responsible for the role in question.

Advertisement