Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High protein LOW carb.. HELP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

danlen wrote: »

If you understand the basic prinicples of scientific research, which tbh I doubt you do, then there really is no need for any consultation with a dietician on this matter. In any case, if the dietician is worth their salt and keeps on top of recent research, they will be able to verify the effectiveness and safety of low-carbohydrate nutrition.

obviously you know it all

Man, your such a major facepalm,

Your argument is ridiculous, if i brought a book stating that if you left heavier weights you'll gain muscle, if i die today with a small amount of muscle, would my claims in the book be disregarded?

He might not of followed his diet all of his life, and as said 60lbs of the weight was fluid put on over the last 2 months,

And here we go again with the "you cant eat late at night" bullcrap

you def need to tilt your brain

you guys should get together and write a book. What you guys dont know aint worth talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mbiking123 wrote: »
    No - incorrect includes obesity

Waste of money. Weight loss is a very uncomplicated business. They can't tell you anything a book won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've just thought your objecting to this diet because it's 70odd year old creator had a slightly high bmi, which most people agree is a bad indictor of health. For an old guy he was doing fairly well.

Orla K wrote: »
    I've just thought your objecting to this diet because it's 70odd year old creator had a slightly high bmi, which most people agree is a bad indictor of health. For an old guy he was doing fairly well.

What is a slightly high BMI

What was his BMI ?

Nobody seems to be able to answer this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

No - incorrect includes obesity
    maybe but any obese clients i have worked with knew EXACTLY what they were doing wrong and almost ALL of the 'just overweight' clients did also.

mbiking123 - you need to back off a little. there is some solid advice here if you can look beyond atkins as you might think you know it and look at low carb nutrition in general

What is a slightly high BMI

What was his BMI ?

Nobody seems to be able to answer this

Alright a slightly high bmi would be 25-27 this can be up for debate

His bmi was 26.4

I also think I read somewhere that he was into weight training, if that's true I'd say forget about his bmi.

There's also the possibility that as you age the healthy range for bmi increases(I'm only in my 20s and don't pay attention to bmi so I don't know I just remember reading something about bmi being for 18.5 year olds) if this is the case forget about that arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

you guys should get together and write a book.

You should write a book: The Don't Eat Anything After 6pm Diet

This revolutionary new book claims that you can eat whatever you want before 6pm, just drink water after 6pm and over time your appetite will magically decrease.

• Advertisement

moonage wrote: »
    You should write a book: The Don't Eat Anything After 6pm Diet

This revolutionary new book claims that you can eat whatever you want before 6pm, just drink water after 6pm and over time your appetite will magically decrease.

How is that statement a book

Do you underatand how to make your appetite decrease ?

If I was writing a book it would be making lifestyle changes, starting with not eating after 6pm

Transform wrote: »
    maybe but any obese clients i have worked with knew EXACTLY what they were doing wrong and almost ALL of the 'just overweight' clients did also.

mbiking123 - you need to back off a little. there is some solid advice here if you can look beyond atkins as you might think you know it and look at low carb nutrition in general

So what type of work do you do ?

So what type of work do you do ?
    the kind of work that involves on a daily basis helping people drop fat and get fit. been doing it for a while now so might have a qualified word or two to say on the matter

the kind of work that involves on a daily basis helping people drop fat and get fit. been doing it for a while now so might have a qualified word or two to say on the matter

Gym instructor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Do you underatand how to make your appetite decrease ?

Yes.

Since I switched to a lower carb and higher fat diet my appetite has decreased. High fat foods keep me sated for longer and I end up eating less than when I used to eat high carb.

moonage wrote: »
    Yes.

Since I switched to a lower carb and higher fat diet my appetite has decreased. High fat foods keep me sated for longer and I end up eating less than when I used to eat high carb.

an even better way is to get your body used to eating less. An obese person has a larger stomack, by reducing what you eat you can get the stomack to go back to normal. Dont need to eat as much to get that full feeling
    As the degree of obesity increases, the likelihood of binge eating also increases (8) and may help explain why the gastric capacity in morbidly obese individuals is so large (1). Of course, gastric restriction operations for the severely obese drastically reduce capacity and lead to substantial weight loss (9). Dieting also leads to reduced gastric capacity
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11/full/oby200198a.html

• Advertisement

Got the answer myself - personal trainer

Well I have no financial interest in this thread, unlike others which I suspect is the reason for the hostility. In any case lifestyle changes

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/76646.php
    Lifestyle changes, not diets, are key to losing weight. It seems that new diet plans are published almost every day. Some of these diets might even help you lose weight. But many diets are so restrictive, either in calories or in variety, that they can be unhealthy in the long term.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Well I have no financial interest in this thread, unlike others which I suspect is the reason for the hostility. In any case lifestyle changes

Oh give over. Transform gives his advice on here FOR FREE.

All the advice in the stickies here is FOR FREE.

I work in medical research in and have no vested interests in low carb diets whatsoever except that it has enabled me to lose 60lb 5 years ago and keep it off, I now enjoy a wide range of starchy foods.

There is ZERO reason why carbohydrate restriction cannot be part of an overall lifestyle change.

Regarding vitamins and minerals a reduced calorie diet whatever the macro ratios is always deficient in something, if you don't think so then post up a daily menu and I'll tell you what it's deficient in.

Oh give over. Transform gives his advice on here FOR FREE.

I used plural not singular

others !

others !

Yeah, you've just reminded me to cash that kickback check from the Atkins foundation. :D Seriously, your argument is all over the shop. You advocate vague 'lifestyle changes', well duh! Every diet IS a lifestyle change, otherwise you wouldn't be changing anything.

others !

Pretty sure no one here has a vested interest in promoting atkins or low carb diets.

I'm finding that I'm healthier, I get full quicker and I don't 'waste' calories on things like bread or pasta that don't fill me up for the calories they provide.

To go back to transforms advice I think you should at least concider
    you need to back off a little. there is some solid advice here if you can look beyond atkins as you might think you know it and look at low carb nutrition in general

• Advertisement

Yeah, you've just reminded me to cash that kickback check from the Atkins foundation. :D Seriously, your argument is all over the shop. You advocate vague 'lifestyle changes', well duh! Every diet IS a lifestyle change, otherwise you wouldn't be changing anything.

no you are not serious, lifestyle change is more than just diet. lifestyle change includes diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Are you seriously using BMI as an accurate measure for a healthy weight?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Are you seriously using BMI as an accurate measure for a healthy weight?

For me its an indication. Also use calipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Kudos for keeping this argument up for 5 pages,

Kudos for keeping this argument up for 5 pages,

I'm going to have to argue with that it's only 4 pages for me:pac:

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm going to have to argue with that it's only 4 pages for me:pac:

2 for me.. noobs.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The hostility?

On several occasions you have made generic claims about low-carb nutrition being negative without using any valid evidence.

However, this is not the biggest problem.

The main problem, and the reason why you perhaps are sensing some hostility, is that you continue to refuse to listen to the evidence and scientifically sound opinions others are offering here.

Your reasoning for remaining steadfast in your opinion? One man who developed one style of low-carb dieting was overweight! Your logic is so flawed I don't know what more people can say to you. Close-mindedness is hard to overcome I suppose.

And to top it all off... you have now resorted to claiming that regular posters here (who have given so much to this forum) are only going against your claims because they have a hidden agenda linked to their own monetary gain. Both ridiculous and offensive in equal measure.

danlen wrote: »

Your reasoning for remaining steadfast in your opinion? One man who developed one style of low-carb dieting was overweight! Your logic is so flawed I don't know what more people can say to you. Close-mindedness is hard to overcome I suppose.

that was a comment, not the basis of the argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

that was a comment, not the basis of the argument

Dude, maybe you should sit down and shut up and maybe you'll learn something. Someone like you arrives in this forum every few months, declaiming about this and that with no science or evidence to back up your claims. A lot of the people here really do know what they're talking about and can bombard you with scientific papers backing up their views.

"The beginning of wisdom is admitting you know nothing"

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Dude, maybe you should sit down and shut up and maybe you'll learn something. Someone like you arrives in this forum every few months

Oops looks like I gate crashed a private party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Oops looks like I gate crashed a private party

Yep, the "not knowing what the **** you're talking about party" is somewhere else, near the "I don't have to back-up any of my claims party"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Mbking - you have had a handful of studies throw at you disproving your 'theories'. Yet, i think i saw you had one posted up? The charter states that if you re going to talk smack - prove it! :)

Also, on a different note, I lost 6 stone and I think there is hardly a day in my life where i have only eaten to 6pm. I usually eat at 10 or 11, sometimes 12 when im back in the door, off to bed and up for 7 or 8, yet I lost 6 stone. OMFG!

Mbking - you have had a handful of studies throw at you disproving your 'theories'. Yet, i think i saw you had one posted up? The charter states that if you re going to talk smack - prove it! :)

Also, on a different note, I lost 6 stone and I think there is hardly a day in my life where i have only eaten to 6pm. I usually eat at 10 or 11, sometimes 12 when im back in the door, off to bed and up for 7 or 8, yet I lost 6 stone. OMFG!

Ya and probably put on 10 stone

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yep, the "not knowing what the **** you're talking about party" is somewhere else, near the "I don't have to back-up any of my claims party"

tetchy - 'its my party' Lesley Gore does not have a look in on you guys

Ya and probably put on 10 stone

Fraid to disappoint, lost the weight and long term too :)

Anyway, its a good time to remember attack the post and NOT the poster, if the thread keeps getting derailed by unsubstantiated responses and continue to become more personnel, il have no trouble popping out bans, but i dont want to, lets get back to helping the OP. Thanks.

Back to question

MyProtein (in my opinion) is the cheapest of the whey protein. This will provide lots of protein but to me is a waste unless you exercise properly, get the heart rate up etc. then take the protein during the recovery period to get the full benefit
    http://www.wheyprotein.com/healthbenefits.html

For the protein bars the saturated fats are quiet high in fact a fifth of the recommended daily allowance. Has 4.4g - daily allowance 24g. Just one of the things to look out for

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/mybar-high-pro

Back to question

MyProtein (in my opinion) is the cheapest of the whey protein. This will provide lots of protein but to me is a waste unless you exercise properly, get the heart rate up etc. then take the protein during the recovery period to get the full benefit

For the protein bars the saturated fats are quiet high in fact a fifth of the recommended daily allowance. Has 4.4g - daily allowance 24g. Just one of the things to look out for

oh mother of god please stop you are so off the mark on so many points.

Like saturated fat is in any way an issue.

Dude get off your soap box because your lack of understanding the basics is shocking

Back to question

Just stop man, you don't have a clue, your coming across as being very ill-informed.

But worst of all other poster may listen to you or believe you.

oh mother of god please stop you are so off the mark on so many points.

Like saturated fat is in any way an issue.

Dude get off your soap box because your lack of understanding the basics is shocking

? not an issue

• Advertisement

? not an issue

Not at all compared to what's still been pushed in mainstream media. Been scientifically de-bunked numerous times and mainstream nutrition is very very very slowly catching on to this fact. When im at home il post up various papers.

It's trans fat that people need to be very wary of, heat treated fats and veg fats and oils, not saturated fat in and off itself. Coconut is very saturated in fat, so is butter - these are not bad things. Irish butter is a good source of selenium that we lack here and K2 which has great importance working with Vit D3 and magnesium. I don't need to get into the details on coconut oil these days, its seems to have gone mainstream in and off inself

agreed and this video might help with whats known as the fat loss hypothesis , saturated fat and cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

I posted this thread and now i'm lost haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I posted this thread and now i'm lost haha

Well you learned that we are not supposed to be fed after 6pm because we turn into gremlins.

Ok joking aside but I could resist, I can see why some would benefit not eating after 6, because it is when some of us slow down and are tempted with yummy, gooey & chewy crap and don't know when to stop. But some of us others who actually workout until 7:30pm and need some food afterwards in order to keep up some sort of strength..... but er back to your question.

I'm not really into low carb, but try to limit the processed ones, I try to go for cottage cheese, fish & eggs. I'm not really a big meat eater so that's all I can think of at the moment. Got kinda lost in the thread too.

I'm just lookig for what people think is the best diet.. something that shows effect after 2 weeks if there is one?

I'm just lookig for what people think is the best diet.. something that shows effect after 2 weeks if there is one?
    This will help -

Focus on food quality and cut out the toxins (all the obvious junk foods)

If you do not start by increasing the quality of the foods you eat and cutting out the toxins then you have no business worrying about carb intake, fat ratios etc. Please note that most people should never and will never progress beyond this point. Be the person that nails this down and move forwards rather than looking for some quick fix that you think is keeping you from dropping the fat.

•Foods to eat – meat, eggs, vegetables, tubers, fruit, nuts, seeds, dairy produce.

•Foods you will likely not function well on – Note I am not saying avoid or eliminate these foods as you know and I know that’s unlikely to happen. However, I guarantee you will not function well on or work well on these foods so keep them out of the diet as much as possible and the more you do this the better you will look and feel. Foods that drain and inflame - grains, sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated fats, all junk foods, alcohol etc

•Understand the role your endocrine system plays – if you really want to understand health and in particular fat loss and still think that it just comes down to a weight watchers approach of taking in less calories then you seriously need to take a step back and get the bigger picture on how your hormones promote fat loss or gain. Start with leptin resistance which is essential reading on this topic. Get your metabolism working for fat loss through control of your hormones or you will forever be fighing a the weight battle.

Obesity/weight gain causes and solutions – yes we are consuming about 500calories per day more than we did 20-30years ago. Food companies are producing hyper rewarding foods i.e. foods that make you want to eat more e.g. carb and sugar laden foods. We are consuming less fat and more carbs than every before in history yet the food guide pyramid (promotes a large proportion of the diet to be full of carbs) is still held up as the way to eat for health. Countries want to introduce a fat tax to ‘help’ curb obesity yet fail to understand and keep up to date with current research which gives ample evidence that a diet high in fats (saturated fats also) are highly beneficial.

The solution, in part, should be to -

Adopt all the advice given above and stop looking for your answers in another diet or weight loss fad. From my experience and the results I have obtained working with hundreds of clients this stuff works so get started today.

1.Remove wheat from the diet as it’s a major toxin that can and will affect all and every system in your body. If you think you are really hooked on wheat then do a 30-day wheat free challenge and observe the results.

2.Earn your carbs – doing lots of crossfit or another sport and think it’s a good idea to adopt a really low carb intake? NO, that would be a really bad idea so replace grain based carbs with sweet potatoes, squash, yam, rice, veggies, fruit etc. Are you sitting around all day, can tell me what happend on Dr Oz, Jeremy Kyle, are worried about the butter you are putting on your fifth piece of toast today and still think the special K challenge might just be a good idea? NO, please earn your carbs and get up off your butt and go move a little more.

3.Monitor how certain foods make you feel. Ignoring this is the reason why you are sick and constantly tired.

4.Of course exercise more but for the love of God start by just going for a walk every day if you are completely out of shape. From there move on to my essential weight training exercises, foam rolling and highly effective home workouts. Please note doing lots of cardio only e.g. jogging, walking, cycling is possibly the slowest way towards your goal of optimal health.

5.Enjoy food. This part is essential as you should NEVER feel like you are ‘on’ a diet or depriving yourself. This is how you were intended to eat and a sh1t ton of advertising and really poor public health promotions have turned many people into fat fearing, ‘healthy wholegrain’ fibre chomping, pill popping, chronically fatigued zombies! Doing all of the above is not a sentence. It will be something enjoyable, fun and most of all something that will give you the energy and vitality to do anything with friends and family.

• Advertisement

If you wanna see results in 2 weeks cut out sugar and all processed carbs, plenty of protein and fat and you'll see results in a few weeks,

I'm not advising this or saying its anyway a healthy diet, just answering your question.

This will help -

Focus on food quality and cut out the toxins (all the obvious junk foods)

If you do not start by increasing the quality of the foods you eat and cutting out the toxins then you have no business worrying about carb intake, fat ratios etc. Please note that most people should never and will never progress beyond this point. Be the person that nails this down and move forwards rather than looking for some quick fix that you think is keeping you from dropping the fat.

•Foods to eat – meat, eggs, vegetables, tubers, fruit, nuts, seeds, dairy produce.

•Foods you will likely not function well on – Note I am not saying avoid or eliminate these foods as you know and I know that’s unlikely to happen. However, I guarantee you will not function well on or work well on these foods so keep them out of the diet as much as possible and the more you do this the better you will look and feel. Foods that drain and inflame - grains, sugar, vegetable oils, hydrogenated fats, all junk foods, alcohol etc

•Understand the role your endocrine system plays – if you really want to understand health and in particular fat loss and still think that it just comes down to a weight watchers approach of taking in less calories then you seriously need to take a step back and get the bigger picture on how your hormones promote fat loss or gain. Start with leptin resistance which is essential reading on this topic. Get your metabolism working for fat loss through control of your hormones or you will forever be fighing a the weight battle.

Obesity/weight gain causes and solutions – yes we are consuming about 500calories per day more than we did 20-30years ago. Food companies are producing hyper rewarding foods i.e. foods that make you want to eat more e.g. carb and sugar laden foods. We are consuming less fat and more carbs than every before in history yet the food guide pyramid (promotes a large proportion of the diet to be full of carbs) is still held up as the way to eat for health. Countries want to introduce a fat tax to ‘help’ curb obesity yet fail to understand and keep up to date with current research which gives ample evidence that a diet high in fats (saturated fats also) are highly beneficial.

The solution, in part, should be to -

Adopt all the advice given above and stop looking for your answers in another diet or weight loss fad. From my experience and the results I have obtained working with hundreds of clients this stuff works so get started today.

1.Remove wheat from the diet as it’s a major toxin that can and will affect all and every system in your body. If you think you are really hooked on wheat then do a 30-day wheat free challenge and observe the results.

2.Earn your carbs – doing lots of crossfit or another sport and think it’s a good idea to adopt a really low carb intake? NO, that would be a really bad idea so replace grain based carbs with sweet potatoes, squash, yam, rice, veggies, fruit etc. Are you sitting around all day, can tell me what happend on Dr Oz, Jeremy Kyle, are worried about the butter you are putting on your fifth piece of toast today and still think the special K challenge might just be a good idea? NO, please earn your carbs and get up off your butt and go move a little more.

3.Monitor how certain foods make you feel. Ignoring this is the reason why you are sick and constantly tired.

4.Of course exercise more but for the love of God start by just going for a walk every day if you are completely out of shape. From there move on to my essential weight training exercises, foam rolling and highly effective home workouts. Please note doing lots of cardio only e.g. jogging, walking, cycling is possibly the slowest way towards your goal of optimal health.

5.Enjoy food. This part is essential as you should NEVER feel like you are ‘on’ a diet or depriving yourself. This is how you were intended to eat and a sh1t ton of advertising and really poor public health promotions have turned many people into fat fearing, ‘healthy wholegrain’ fibre chomping, pill popping, chronically fatigued zombies! Doing all of the above is not a sentence. It will be something enjoyable, fun and most of all something that will give you the energy and vitality to do anything with friends and family.

Tanks for that man, thats the answers I was looking for.. I'll go by te list with some tough cardio and hopefully see results (not expecting it to happen overnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

howtomake wrote: »
    Well you learned that we are not supposed to be fed after 6pm because we turn into gremlins.

Ok joking aside but I could resist, I can see why some would benefit not eating after 6, because it is when some of us slow down and are tempted with yummy, gooey & chewy crap and don't know when to stop. But some of us others who actually workout until 7:30pm and need some food afterwards in order to keep up some sort of strength..... but er back to your question.

I'm not really into low carb, but try to limit the processed ones, I try to go for cottage cheese, fish & eggs. I'm not really a big meat eater so that's all I can think of at the moment. Got kinda lost in the thread too.

Are you trying to loose weight ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement