Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Going over to Istanbul in the next couple of months to get HT done. Told colleagues and will be wfh for 1/2weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just reading through the thread has anyone else any experience on the topical spray of fin+minox from hims.co.uk?
    I’ve just started my second bottle so I’m about 3 months in and I’m noticing some regrowth in my crown and hairline.
    A free people have also commented on it.
    Im also taking biotin and magnesium every morning, but aside from that nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Taking it about 3 months myself. Definitely noticed a lot more clumps of hair in the shower compared to when I was on the tablets, but on the other hand lots of side effects of the tablets have practically gone now.

I have the 2 bottles so going to see how it fairs after 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Ok, firstly thank you all for this wonderful information all in one thread. I have spent 2 days reading it. I am a 43 year old with hair loss(Ive always had a high forehead but have noticed it getting worse) I am considering a HT abroad as I cannot afford it here.

I have contacted many many clinics in Turkey and have got myself into a head spin now.

Sule- firnd had it done here, but I have ruled it out now

Smile- Seems available whenever but now having read the tread they don't have a good rep.

Dr Cinik- can get a date in June.

FueCapilar- Waiting on a price.

HOI- was 2k more than the others

Vera Clinic- can't find much about them

Dr. Serkan Aygin-

Does anyone have any experience with these ? Also I am not sure I am prepared to take medication so if that's the case am I better off not having a transplant at all?

Yeah you really do need to take the meds (oral or topical) to prevent (or slow) further loss. Your transplanted hair will not fall out, but the hair around it may fall out leaving islands of hair on your head in which case you will probably revert to shaving the head after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

would it be meds for a few months or life , thats the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

Meds for life.

There's different things to consider here.

You'd certainly be looking at finesteride for the long term and minoxidil would be recommended too.You can get both of these in oral or topical form.

There are pros and cons to both.

Topical minoxidil is available over the counter in the form of Rogaine.Its a pain to use and makes a mess of your hair.

Oral minoxidil is more effective and less hassle,its generally accepted its more effective. You will need a prescription and there's a bigger chance of side effects Recommend dosage is 2.5mg to 5mg

Topical finesteride (I haven't actually used this) but its a spray,not sure if it makes a mess etc Less chance of sides but less effective. Can be obtained legally with online prescription

Oral finesteride is handy to take,bigger chance of side effects (big range of sides and I've had a lot of them but not the more serious ones) Recommended dosage varies but usually .5mg to 1mg daily.

There are sprays out there that combine the two also in a Topical form.

From my own experience the more effective form of the meds are the ones most likely to give sides.Maybe you won't get any,maybe like me you'll get some but be happy with the trade off.

Only from reading here did I read about the Meds. Friend had it done in Sule and is taking no meds. I did ask him why but he seemed unaware.

Im not sure I'd be prepared to take meds for life if I'm honest. if it was a spray I could be interested more

Is this something that could be used ?

https://sons.ie/product/the-non-prescription-plan?_gl=1*1lvg99t*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwl4yyBhAgEiwADSEjeK9YlRYlIFUM4DvY8mHmKouddcerGUKClIqpXUWRmNasX3eLtzdG1BoCtwgQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement

They are herbal alternatives.

Biotin doesn't do much if anything in relation to hairloss,its keeps your hair in good condition and your fingernails will grow faster!

You can get the proper meds in spray form, you can even get both meds in one spray.

Regaine is over the counter,you can get it in Boots.

The others are prescription but I think companies like Hims and Sons supply them with a kind of online prescription.

Maybe others on here can help with that,I've never dealt with these as I get mine direct from my doctor in Brussels.

just to add my tupence, I’m using the topical minox/fin spray- 4 sprays rubbed in on the crown/hairline at approx 8pm every night and it’s very clean.
    It’s not sticky it’s more like water and it’s very easy to rub in.

Just to add regarding the topical u can get spray or serum variants. The serum variant is applied with a dropper directly to the scalp so less wastage and none of the solution is on the hair. Not greasy really as it dries off in 10 mins and u can then comb the hair as normal.

Maybe, though I was taking oral minoxidil before, so I would have thought changing to topical wouldn't have made a difference.

I think it's more to do with fact that the topical literally only works on the spot where it is applied and even a couple of cm away gets none of the effects so it's possible I'm not applying it everywhere on back of head.

But like I said ill do the full 6 months to see...for Science!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have completed 12 months of spray bottle. And on. 4th month of dropper bottle, which suits me better compared to the spray version.

I am quite satisfied with it.

Additionally,I am taking high dose biotin and Vit D for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Timbuktoo

Haven't been on this at all since I got the HT. Updates as it is now 1 year.

Best thing I've ever done.

Still might have to go for SMP on the crown but I'm so much happier than I was this time last year.

Thanks for the update,especially accompanied by pics!

We don't see that often enough.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭BigProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Timbuktoo

• Advertisement

Are you using Finasteride or any other medication?

had a consultation with him previously - he is very expensive but results are probably very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

From looking at a programme on this just a month or so ago, when they had the grafts done from the back of the head they did say that time was of the essence to get them implanted back into the front scalp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Any hair transplant that requires grafts from the sides/back to fill in a receding temple/front/crown will require lifelong finasteride.

Otherwise you'll just continue to go bald beyond the transplant site.

Finasteride has become a big bad boogyman, but it's an efficient drug, and it's the only way to halt hair loss in its tracks.

I've been on it since 2011, haven't lost a lock of hair since, and zero side effects.

I'm absolutely not saying people don't suffer side effects, but there is a movement that would have you believe that everyone who touches it is destined to become impotent, and I'm not sure why because trials show it's effective, and has minimal side effects.

It's no different to most other drugs. Even the safest of drugs carry a warning label, and even the safest of drugs can have bad side effects for unfortunate individuals, but it doesn't take away from the overall effectiveness and safety record.

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion.

I did not use anything for the first 6 months post hair transplant and did not lose any hair. Then I started using topical Finasteride + Minoxidil spray for 6 months, then topical serum from Hims.co.uk. things are stable, hairs not getting thicker or thinner.

Now I see that Hims are selling Fin + Min in chewy tablets. But obviously concerned about the side effects, more so as we plan to extend our family. I don't think there are enough studies done on this area to generalise it's safety and efficacy profile 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13 johns1234ff4

Anyone know much about Merchant City Hair Clinic in Dublin? Are they new to Dublin or has anyone had a consultation with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Don't know about them in particular but no mention of any specific doctor or if any doctor is IMC registered (Irish Medical Council). Address is an office in Donnybrook so could be a sales office only. Key is to do your research, ask who will be doing what during the procedure, ie will there be doctor involvement and to what extent, ask if you can speak with previous patients for their unbiased experience etc., check where the procedure will be carried out.

Hope some of this helps and do report back if you speak with them

Hi, i seem to be in the same boat as you been using hims fin min spray for past 14 months but we are looking to extend our family too - i asked hims about this and they told me to stop using spray for a month before trying for a baby, do you intend to stop also?

We are not extending family immediately, but will stop using it for sure atleast 3 months in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Dingaan

You should really go on oral finasteride afterwards. A breastfeeding partner and new born shouldn't be exposed to finasteride. It's more likely if it's applied topically.

• Advertisement

That's odd as it's not supposed to go system-wide, as the tablets do.

Also masterboy123 is right that you need to stop for 3 months as sperm takes 3 months to regen.

Take a sperm motility test if you want to see if it's affecting your chances of getting pregnant

https://www.swimcount.ie/

If low, then stop taking it, and wait 3 months and test again (can also take supplements to increase motility)

thanks, do you plan to use oral fin or just topical min or nothing at all?

I am currently using topical serum from Hims UK and will continue to use it. I will stop it 3 months before expanding the family.

I am not going to consider oral fin as it may lead to rebound enlargement of the prostate when I stop taking it and may cause more systemic side effects.

At the end of the day, my family & their health takes precedence over my hair.

I am a medical doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Thanks so much for your response really appreciate it, when do you plan to start using serum again after the birth or before? Would you not use topical min only when you using min fin serum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Dingaan

Was the risk of rebound enlargement of the prostate discovered during research trials? I don't recall reading this before, I could be wrong.

I originally wanted to go the topical route, unfortunately my scalp psoriasis is easily triggered. Rogaine foam caused a flare-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That's all this thread needs, speculation about spurious, non-existent side effects from the no. 1 hair loss medication. And by a "medical doctor" no less. I think this can be safely ignored.

In any case, you can't avoid systemic absorption of finasteride by using the topical form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fuzzy Zoeller

Hello all,

I’m a longtime lurker on this forum,but this is my first time posting.Apologies in advance for long post, but I’d really appreciate any responses to my few questions.

I’m not your typical case in that I’m in my early fifties and my hair loss really only began in earnest around 5 years ago.Unfortunately I suffer from depression and am on daily medication to manage it.As such I’ve being reluctant to go on Finisteride or Minoxidil (or a combo of both) as I don’t want to overburden my kidneys with more meds.

Couple of quick questions……,.

1.As some well regarded Hair surgeons do not openly promote/advise the use of fin and min pre or post transplant,in most people's experience here who have had a successful transplant….do you definitely need to take them to curb/stop hair loss in yere opinion pre and post surgery?

2.If taking them prior to transplant did you notice a definite improvement in slowing hair loss and improving health of your remaining hair?

I know it’s much more expensive but if going for a transplant I will get it in Ireland I think,

Anyway thanks a lot for reading and I’d really appreciate any quick responses to my two questions as I start on my transplant journey,

F.Z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Deadwards.com

Hi Fuzzy Zoeller,

Given that your hair loss has only begun at a late stage, have you had your bloods checked to see if there are possibly any underlying issues such as an under active Thyroid? It would be worth checking this in the first instance.

Regarding medication, most clinics will recommend minoxidil or finasteride or both. The reason is to simply try to stabilise your hair loss before having a transplant as without stabilising you run the risk of future progression. Given you suffer with depression it would be imperative to speak with your doctor before starting finasteride as it can impact on sufferers. In saying that I do know of a few people with depression using the meds but it would differ from person to person which is why if you were to begin on it, that it would be done under the supervision of your own GP. Both medications do sightly different things minoxidil can increase the numbers of hairs your grafts have while finasteride lowers your body's DHT levels which is the root cause of AGA. They do work and in most cases, do improve the quality of your hair as by lowering DHT, the hair the grafts produce can strengthen.

There is a topical version of finasteride available which whilst, not as effective as the oral tablet, has been shown to work. It is not as yet FDA approved but I know of a number of people who either have it sent to friends in th eUK and shipped over or get it via minoxidilmax.com.

I hope some of this helps but I am not a doctor so do please check everything with your GP and best of luck with everything.

I just returned from holiday and looking at your query.

Please do not listen to random posters here claiming "Finasteride is no. 1 for hair loss" and "safe".

Always consult your doctor when in doubt, rather than relying on "Mr Wayne" who is behind his wheels 🛞

Please Google "Post Finasteride Syndrome"

And have a look here:

https://www.hims.com/blog/what-happens-if-you-stop-taking-finasteride-for-hair-loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone who has no idea what they are talking about introduced Post-Finateride Syndrome into this thread. Hopefully those reading about it for the first time will have the sense to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Google any drug and you will find side effects. I was on finasteride years ago everday and did get watery semen. Had hair trasnplant with Dr Nel in 2019 and he put me on 1.25mg 3 times a week and zero sides. If you don't take finasteride you will lose more hair, its that simple.

Just received an email from address pal asking for my proof of prescription for the hims topical minoxidil spray!

I’ve told them to basically go and swing for it as it’s private information I wouldn’t be giving to a courier.
    I’ll see how this develops and keep you all updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I have a consultation with Tír na Nóg on Saturday. Bit **** they charge €50 for a consultation when other places I went to were free. At least Dr Nel charges you but gives you a prescription for fin and min. Anyone know much about then or had a consultation with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Looks amazing congrats. I’m booked in with him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I took it for about 18 months and then forgot to reup the prescription and was off it for half a year. No ill effects.

If you google literally any drug you'll find a handful of people who had a terrible experience and write about it online.

Just to update, I requested a prescription off forhims, which they sent on the next day.
    I then sent the prescription on to addresspal and I’m expecting delivery of the spray solution on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Went to MHR Clinic last week for a consultation. Had one booked with Tír na Nóg the same day but got delayed and couldn’t attend. I looked online and on forums and reviews seem to be good. The before/after photos seem to look good also. I asked how many grafts I would need and she said the don’t really deal in grafts and would get the best ones to cover the area which I was surprised with. She also said I could start procedure around 2 and be finished by 6. I dunno is this going to be a rush job so? Dr Nel said I would need 3000+ grafts. I thought hair transplants are an all day job? She mentioned that they use a Sapphire blade which causes little trauma and is a tidier job. She also talked about the pain free anaesthetic that they use. The cost would be €4000. Anyway I’ve booked in for the procedure for August just to have something. I want to have it done somewhere over the summer if I can at all as I’m a teacher. I dunno am I mad to go here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement