Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bloody Sunday soldier to be charged with murder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Spook_ie wrote: »
    And presumably released under the GFA?

I'd imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's an absolute insult to the 13 people who died and their families to only find 1 soldier did wrong that day. Some of them were only 17 years old. They deserve more than this. This is not justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

did anybody see the BBC Newsnight interview with the then para commander Derek Wilford?
    Would he apologise to the families of the victims? "I said that at the time and I've said it subsequently, he replied. "I see no point in repeating it because whatever I say will be discounted."

I finally asked what Bloody Sunday had done to him.

"I think it destroyed my world," he sighed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-47559123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

As far as I am aware, the GFA was for early release, not an amnesty for crimes that were never prosecuted. Since there were never any British soldiers prosecuted, it doesn't apply to them

That is an important distinction that apologists for the British Army forget (conveniently or just do not understand).

The fundamental difference is that members of IRA, UVF et al were caught, prosecuted, served time and were then released.

To this day paras from both sides are still apprehended, prosecuted, sentenced but then pretty much released straight away under the GFA.

As you say, no British soldier was ever put through due process in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

baldbear wrote: »
    Soldier F is an absolute scumbag. The families in Derry are so dignified. "Justice for one is justice for all"

Have a read of this article

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/the-case-for-prosecuting-bloody-sunday-soldier-f/

He may well be, but that was part of his job description. They (the British government ) sent in the paras to brutalise the population and quash dissent and resistance. They did nothing in the north that was in anyway unique, they just happened to do it in the glare of modern media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

vicwatson wrote: »

Yes of course John Johnston RIP was as much a victim of Bloody Sunday as the rest of the people killed on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We already know via Widgery, The Birmingham Six and many other instances that British courts are controlled by the establishment which is morally bankrupt.

The surprise here is that people are surprised that it is taking so long for the British to own up to what they did.

To the people of Derry the will to fight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That is an important distinction that apologists for the British Army forget (conveniently or just do not understand).

The fundamental difference is that members of IRA, UVF et al were caught, prosecuted, served time and were then released..

Also, unlike for those murdered by paramilitaries, the families of those killed by the British Army suffered the stigma of having their loved-ones described as nail-bombers and shooters. When the soldiers were found innocent it automatically laid the blame with those they killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Also, unlike for those murdered by paramilitaries, the families of those killed by the British Army suffered the stigma of having their murdered loved-ones described as nail-bombers and shooters. When the soldiers were found innocent it automatically laid the blame with those they killed.

I know what you mean
    zapitastas wrote: »
    The parachute regiment are full of the dregs of British society. Absolutely sick psychopaths

Anywho, hopefully the victims if that horrible day will see justice served, pity it's not more of them on trial for what happened that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

But they were only following orders...

yada yada yada

I don't believe in hell - but I'd love there to be one for these animals. And I hope they scream for eternity.

Bloody Sunday is only a footnote in the list of barbarism inflicted on the world by British armed forces.

• Advertisement

There will just be massive campaign to counter this with the old boys network clubbing together to paint him as a poor distressed soldier in an impossible situation doing his best with all sorts of pressure from the upper echelons of British society blah blah blah

Akin the SAS guy in Afghanistan who blatantly went up to a dying Afghani on the ground and shot him point blank in the chest. He even acknowledged what he was about to do was in violation of the Geneva Convention.

he'll probably get fêted on mass murder (sic. poppy) day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Beats me how they've only charged one soldier.

Unless the records of personal weapons issued to the soldiers on bloody sunday were destroyed it should have been the easiest thing in the world to trace bullets to a soldiers personal weapon.

That's providing of course that bullets remained in bodies. The weapons used on the day were the L1A1 SLR, it fired a 7.62mm round. At close range I'd imagine a lot passed through and exited the victims but enough should have been removed from victims to trace by more than one weapon.

Each weapon is a personal issue, signed for by the soldier.

Soldier F must be pushing 70 years old, even if he's found guilty and convicted of murder he's lived the vast majority of his life as a free man.

The people of Derry will never receive justice for bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Unless the records of personal weapons issued to the soldiers on bloody sunday were destroyed it should have been the easiest thing in the world to trace bullets to a soldiers personal weapon.

That's providing of course that bullets remained in bodies. The weapons used on the day were the L1A1 SLR, it fired a 7.62mm round. At close range I'd imagine a lot passed through and exited the victims but enough should have been removed from victims to trace by more than one weapon.

Soldier F must be pushing 70 years old, even if he's found guilty and convicted of murder he's lived the vast majority of his life as a free man.

No, they probably won't.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/destruction-of-two-bloody-sunday-guns-criticised-1.246791

I imagine it is because he was so shamefully blatant that even the powers that be could not brush this one under the carpet.

RasTa wrote: »
    I would take great pleasure in watching this man being skinned alive

Now now there is no need for that type of talk. We are better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Odhinn wrote: »

That's crazy.

Cock up or cover up its madness and ads fuel to the fire of cover ups.

Knowing from my own experience how weapons are controlled, how they're accounted for, what happens (even to obsolete weapons) when they leave the armoury I 'tend to think there's something sinister at play here.

Like I said the people of Derry won't receive Justice here no more than the people of Argentina will receive justice, or even a decent enquiry into allegations that the Parachute Regiment commited war crimes when they murdered Argentine POW's

Knowing from my own experience how weapons are controlled, how they're accounted for, what happens (even to obsolete weapons) when they leave the armoury I 'tend to think there's something sinister at play here.

No **** Sherlock...:p

I suppose any chance anyone has seen the results of the investigation with the 'independent observer'.

if this had happened in any other country during any period of conflict, then this would have been buried and never seen the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Soldier Dave F is probably in his 70's now - possibly more. I have no doubt that the start of his trial will be delayed and delayed until the ****er is dead. It already being 16 years since Dave testified at the inquiry presided over by Mark Saville is evidence of that, if evidence were needed - It might as well have been an inquiry presided over by Jimmy Savile!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Also, unlike for those murdered by paramilitaries, the families of those killed by the British Army suffered the stigma of having their loved-ones described as nail-bombers and shooters. When the soldiers were found innocent it automatically laid the blame with those they killed.

That's an extremely good point. In all of these conversations about Bloody Sunday there's always a substantial proportion of the British populace convinced the protesters must have deserved it. Can you imagine Irish people questioning whether British people deserved to be killed by the IRA? I think we're far more civilised about it.

• Advertisement

The PIRA blew 18 members of the parachute regiment to bits in Warrenpoint and slaughtered over 1,000 of the British armed forces. It's hard to have sympathy for them when you read the things they did including on Bloody Sunday.

Nobody is asking you to 'have sympathy for the IRA'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Queen betty should have to answer why it gave bravery medals to the paratroopers. Hopefully it'll be dead soon too. (Bye it I mean betty).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Soldier Dave F is probably in his 70's now - possibly more. I have no doubt that the start of his trial will be delayed and delayed until the ****er is dead. It already being 16 years since Dave testified at the inquiry presided over by Mark Saville is evidence of that, if evidence were needed - It might as well have been an inquiry presided over by Jimmy Savile!

Soldier Fs legal team will drag this out, demanding a trial in England and end up using the Ivor Bell defence of dementia, unfit to plead etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They won't receive justice. They will join a long queue of innocent people from both sides who will never see justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Edgware wrote: »
    Soldier Fs legal team will drag this out, demanding a trial in England and end up using the Ivor Bell defence of dementia, unfit to plead etc.

That's in another legal system. This one has to take place in the North, I'd speculate Belfast rather than Derry given the circumstances.

Havockk wrote: »
    That's in another legal system. This one has to take place in the North, I'd speculate Belfast rather than Derry given the circumstances.

Yes, Belfast seems to be where it will be.

They have probably chosen the soldier who is least likely to sing like a canary now his liberty is threatened.

He may even have indicated he would take one for the team.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That's an extremely good point. In all of these conversations about Bloody Sunday there's always a substantial proportion of the British populace convinced the protesters must have deserved it. Can you imagine Irish people questioning whether British people deserved to be killed by the IRA? I think we're far more civilised about it.

You should check out some of the threads then, plenty of posters over the years have claimed Birmingham/Warrington bombings (killing of innocents) were justified and the dead were "collateral damage".

Sure it was a "war" and they had to do it is a line often used by the more extreme republican zealots.

You should check out some of the threads then, plenty of posters over the years have claimed Birmingham/Warrington bombings (killing of innocents) were justified and the dead were "collateral damage".

Sure it was a "war" and they had to do it is a line often used by the more extreme republican zealots.

Can you link to those threads please?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you link to those threads please?

The annual poppy threads would be a good start, anything about the IRA after that.

• Advertisement

that's the thing that confuses me about the troubles.
    was it a war or wasn't it?
    it seems each side called it a war when it suited them, and then described it as not being a war when it suited them.

eg hunger-strikers were convinced to the point of starving themselves to death that they were military combatants engaged in a war.
    Thatcher disagreed. Tories regularily describe the IRA as criminals. I now hear military sources in London say the Paras were entering a warzone, yet Republicans vehemently do not concur.
    Confused?:confused:

Advertisement