Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else not want children?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Erper wrote: »
    But in the end that could mean that you didnt find a proper person that you will fall in love with him/her and that could be one of the reasons why not ti have kids...

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but do you mean that if I fall in love, marry and we both decide that yes, we won't have children that he's not the one for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Saying those things makes you selfish, and if the world thinks like that than we are all doomed..

If you are love yourself and want only to feel great than ice nothing to say to you anymore...

It makes me selfish because I think the world is a painful place to be....well ok then.

and if we all thought like me, that would be the end of the human race.. ~whoopy~ I think that would be great for earth.

Mind you Erper, there's ALWAYS going to be enough people who want kids to "keep your world from doom", so don't worry .. ok!

Think about it like this, the people who don't want kids, are balancing out those who couldn't have kids, but are through science ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but do you mean that if I fall in love, marry and we both decide that yes, we won't have children that he's not the one for me?

maybe he will change his mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Reading this type of posts makes me sick...
    What kind of person are you...
    You dont want to give a birth to a child and give all your love to the baby..
    Seriously..
    I had a gf who said the same thing... and i said to her " adios baby"...

Imagine if your parents thought like you now...
    After all, you seem to be 25 but in head you are still a selfish child.
    Thats my opinion why are you afraid to have kids...
    You asking yourself that question??
    Answer is simple..
    They dont want to have a male around them but want to recieve money for kids...
    Its called being selfish...
    Saying those things makes you selfish, and if the world thinks like that than we are all doomed..

If you are in love ONLY with yourself and want only to feel great than ive nothing to say to you anymore...

Ah here. Troll?

maybe he will change his mind...

Maybe he won't?

It makes me selfish because I think the world is a painful place to be....well ok then.

and if we all thought like me, that would be the end of the human race.. ~whoopy~ I think that would be great for earth.

Mind you Erper, there's ALWAYS going to be enough people who want kids to "keep your world from doom", so don't worry .. ok!

Think about it like this, the people who don't want kids, are balancing out those who couldn't have kids, but are through science ;)

Well I do understand people who cant have kids but even they will try everything to have...

Again, wishing not to have kids is pretty much selfish from my point of view..
    I was raised in not so great conditions but i never felt how the world "works" as my parents were using all their power, knowledge to make me happy and to be a good person.
    Even if they were young when they got me.. so...

Maybe he won't?

They they found perfect match....

Ah here. Troll?

Whats your point..

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

this is ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Whats your point..

My point is you're ranting inane crap and I can only pin it down to you trying to peg a reaction from somebody. (like me)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 VivaMessi

Whats your point..

Whats your point?

They they found perfect match....

Exactly. But you suggested that if I met someone and fell in love and married but still didn't have children that I most likely hadn't found the 'one for me' to change my mind??

Well I do understand people who cant have kids but even they will try everything to have...

I was raised in not so great conditions but i never felt how the world "works" as my parents were using all their power, knowledge to make me happy and to be a good person.
    Even if they were young when they got me.. so...

I would've thought it's more selfish to have kids, when you can't afford them? Won't look after them right/won't love them.

Like I said, more than enough people having brats to make up for those who choose not to.
    __
    Also
    " i never felt how the world "works" as my parents were using all their power" Whats this got to do with anything?

Not having kids does NOT make me a bad person. I'm constantly trying to help people.

But life has always been a struggle for me, I only have fear for the future generations (with ho life is currently, maybe something discovery will be made to change that). Things look rather bleak in years to come. I wouldn't want for any child of mine. And so I won't have any child of mine

Ive explained myself and my opinion of current situation from OP and from some other people about this subject.
    It seems that most of you agree its good to have kids - NEVER...

Those were my 2cents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Neither of us want kids. We'll get a dog though instead.

Don't be so ridiculous. If anything with the global population the size it is it's the exact opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I don't want kids under any circumstances whatsoever. Jaysus no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Actually biologically, the body screams "get pregnant". Even women who never wanted kids, often go through a period before menopause where they get very "baby" orientated, some give in, some don't.
    But, it's a biological thing... they're hardly at fault for that...

I'm female, 28 and my body aint screaming anything at me except "I want chocolate"

beks101 wrote: »
    I'm female, 28 and my body aint screaming anything at me except "I want chocolate"

I did say before menopause ..which should be your late 30's early 40's.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Don't be so ridiculous. If anything with the global population the size it is it's the exact opposite.

Global population is fine, its the distribution is the problem. Asia has about half the world's population on about a quarter of the land mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I did say before menopause ..which should be your late 30's early 40's.
    :rolleyes:

The idea that there's a sudden inherent biological - rather than psychological, or socially pressured - urge to have children right before menopause is guff.

Think about it. If a woman's body was going to "scream" "make babies now!" it would be when they're at their youngest, healthiest, most fertile phase. Not when they get to the now-or-never point, when they're at the farthest point from their gestation machine prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

gowley wrote: »
    lol. dont knock till youve tried it

Like what RentAKid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

while dating my partner, one of the first things I told him is that I will never have kids.

Trust me. you don't have to use that as an excuse to tell him you want it up the bum all the time

yore wrote: »
    Trust me. you don't have to use that as an excuse to tell him you want it up the bum all the time

:confused:

umm, it was about being honest. If I want anal, I'll ask for anal >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

:confused:

umm, it was about being honest. If I want anal, I'll ask for anal >.>

Good for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

This thread is so far of topic that you people have not only convinced this guy he does not wan't kid's but also does he wan't to be with his girlfriend/wife to be, and also a shout out to "Looking_Around" with all you're "the planet would be better of without people" hahaha good one mate you nearly had me there you're such a joker 8P, Anyway's back to topic "Anyone else not want children" No in fact i would love to have kid's maybe not now because well i'am 23 with a whole life ahead of me and i'am not financially ready for kid's but yes at some point in life i would like to achieve the highest ranking status in life FATHER also known as Dad but not only that but for when my time come's to leave this life i would like to know i have left apart of me behind.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Lams

Dublinpato wrote: »
    This thread is so far of topic that you people have not only convinced this guy he does not wan't kid's but also does he wan't to be with his girlfriend/wife to be, and also a shout out to "Looking_Around" with all you're "the planet would be better of without people" hahaha good one mate you nearly had me there you're such a joker 8P, Anyway's back to topic "Anyone else not want children" No in fact i would love to have kid's maybe not now because well i'am 23 with a whole life ahead of me and i'am not financially ready for kid's but yes at some point in life i would like to achieve the highest ranking status in life FATHER also known as Dad but not only that but for when my time come's to leave this life i would like to know i have left apart of me behind.

You probably have two thirds of your life ahead of you. Lets not exaggerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dublinpato wrote: »
    yes at some point in life i would like to achieve the highest ranking status in life FATHER also known as Dad

You know all it takes to make a baby is a bit of sex. It's not particularly difficult for the majority of people or an achievement.... Highest ranking status my ass....

Anyway on topic I decided very young that I'd never have kids, couldn't stand the thought of it and now at 32 I'm still very much of that opinion and luckily have a girlfriend with exactly the same thoughts. I don't know why anyone would want to sacrifice their way of life for what amounts to a parasite. If I want unconditional love I'll get a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Thread should be re-named 'Anyone else not want children in their mid-20's?'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

VivaMessi wrote: »
    I'm 25 with my partner and the thoughts of having children makes me literally sick. Looking after them non stop till their 11 or 12. Then leeching money off you till they finish college or longer. Anyone else feel like this because I don't know what I'm gonna say to my partner when she wants to start trying. I never want children

Normally you look after your kids untill they're 18 OP.

SV wrote: »
    I think not wanting children in any shape or form is a bit of an evolutionary stepback tbh.

If anything it's a step forward.

For thousands of years mankind has been driven by the urge to mate and repopulate, and now that someone can say "this isn't for me" its a step back?

How?

• Advertisement

VivaMessi wrote: »
    Yes I lover her dearly, I think I'll have to have a talk 2moro and slow things down, even though the invites are allready sent out.:( Children thing might change in time but for the foreseeable future definitely not! I asked her to marry me and now I want to cancel, this cant end well

What do you want to do that youcan't do when married?

CruelCoin wrote: »

For thousands of years mankind has been driven by the urge to mate and repopulate, and now that someone can say "this isn't for me" its a step back?

How?

You think people didn't say that in the past??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Reading this type of posts makes me sick...
    What kind of person are you...
    You dont want to give a birth to a child and give all your love to the baby..
    Seriously..
    I had a gf who said the same thing... and i said to her " adios baby"...

Imagine if your parents thought like you now...
    After all, you seem to be 25 but in head you are still a selfish child.
    Thats my opinion why are you afraid to have kids...
    You asking yourself that question??
    Answer is simple..
    They dont want to have a male around them but want to recieve money for kids...
    Its called being selfish...

Give over. How is not wanting to have children selfish? You could easily argue that WANTING to have children is selfish. The earth is majorly over-populated, the more people who don't have children, the better it will be for future generations. Humans are never going to die out naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I am 29 and I really don't want children, I don't have the resources to raise a child, I don't have the energy to raise a child.
    Between me and my partners family there is a lot of illnesses that I'd never want to pass on to a child.
    This isn't a knee jerk decision by me I've thought long and hard about this and my partner agrees with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

LizT wrote: »
    That attitude annoys me, it's so condescending. A person can decide in their 20s that they don't want kids and never change their mind.

I'm in my mid 30s and I don't want kids..... but we're having one. My other half really wants one and her happiness is paramount to me so we are. Ideally though it would just be the two of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It's perfectly natural for some people not to want kids. Some may change their minds as time goes by.

But some just don't want to have the responsibility and would rather the freedom to live their life as they want.
    It's very important that they stick to their guns on this. Chances are they'd make poor parents. It takes allot of commitment and determination when the going is tough. If they feel they can't make the commitment then they should remain childless.

Nothing as sad as to see bad parents who really exude the notion that they are sorry they have their kids!

Lams wrote: »
    You think people didn't say that in the past??

They did of course, but it was the odd lone freak who did so.

In today's world it is becoming much more commonplace.

In further developed countries than ours (Germany/Japan) single child families are by far the most popular.

In the corporate world, staying childless for life is becoming especially popular, as children hold you back on the career ladder (it shouldn't, but it does).

Mankind is now wholsale evolving beyond the point of "must find mate, repopulate". So, again, how is this an evolutionary step backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CruelCoin wrote: »

How?
    Well because the only purpose of existence is to procreate.

In evolutionary terms, a species which loses the desire to procreate, dies. Look at Pandas. So in the most literal sense he's correct that not wanting children is evolutionarily detrimental. The people who are baby mad are the ones with their evolutionary foot forward.

There's a common misconception that being more cerebral, intellectual and in control of one's baser self make you "more evolved". This isn't the case. Evolution isn't a race to become a intellectual super being, evolution is just a race to procreate, over and over again.

This discussion is often muddied by the condescending remarks from people who thought they never wanted kids and then had one. "Ah, you'll know different when you're older", "I never thought I wanted kids, but now that I have one I can't imagine life without them".
    I think people who always wanted children are much more "live and let live" about it.
    Of course having a child changes your perspective on it. Every fibre of your being is screaming at you to protect your offspring, so whether you planned it or not, your biology will turn you into an emotional hormonal mess about your own children. That doesn't mean that people who don't want children are making the wrong move or they "don't know", it just means that your perspective is badly tinted by your own child.

Do I think that people without children are missing out? Yes. Do I think that everyone should have a child? Fnck no. Is raising a child easy? Fnck no. Is it worth it? Fnck yes. But then my base self has fncked with the hormonal balance in my brain and I have no option except to say that :)

The only thing I'd say to people who decide to never have kids is to live with reckless abandon. The only person you have to think of is yourself. So why are you wasting your time saving your money, buying a mortgage or working 50 hours a week doing something you hate? You can't take your money with you when you die, and nobody else is relying on you to provide for them, so go enjoy yourself. Blow your savings on expensive holidays, do that low-paying but really enjoyable job, and rent property from someone else and let them worry about mortgages and taxes.
    I'm in my mid 30s and I don't want kids..... but we're having one. My other half really wants one and her happiness is paramount to me so we are. Ideally though it would just be the two of us.
    Now, more than ever buddy, you need to be honest and open. For men in particular the biggest shock to your life when the first child comes along is the restriction on your freedom. No longer can you just decide to go out the door to the pub or for a walk or whatever. You won't even have time to sit down for 20 minutes to play a computer game in peace. Seriously. Your priority becomes the two of them. And if they need something, you can't just walk out and leave them at it. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you're on call.

It's hard enough when you wanted the child to adjust to having zero time to yourself, but if you're having the child under silent protest it'll become a million times harder.
    Maybe try negotiate some "me time" - for both of you - now, before the child is born. Agree that, for example, on a Friday night you get a 3 hour pass to go off and do whatever you want, and she gets the same pass on another night. You really only need this agreement for a couple of months - as the child gets older, it gets easier to take care of them - but it will do wonders for your mental health and your relationship for both people to get a regular breather, away from the family and free to be on their own again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

It's really admirable that you would prioritise someone else's happiness so much over your own but I really don't think it's wise for anyone to knowingly produce a child they actively don't want.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

Now, more than ever buddy, you need to be honest and open. For men in particular the biggest shock to your life when the first child comes along is the restriction on your freedom. No longer can you just decide to go out the door to the pub or for a walk or whatever. You won't even have time to sit down for 20 minutes to play a computer game in peace. Seriously. Your priority becomes the two of them. And if they need something, you can't just walk out and leave them at it. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you're on call.

It's hard enough when you wanted the child to adjust to having zero time to yourself, but if you're having the child under silent protest it'll become a million times harder.
    Maybe try negotiate some "me time" - for both of you - now, before the child is born. Agree that, for example, on a Friday night you get a 3 hour pass to go off and do whatever you want, and she gets the same pass on another night. You really only need this agreement for a couple of months - as the child gets older, it gets easier to take care of them - but it will do wonders for your mental health and your relationship for both people to get a regular breather, away from the family and free to be on their own again.

Seamus I don't need to be honest and open about anything. She knew my stance on the matter beforehand. I'm well aware of how drastically my life is going to change but I'm prepared for that. My partner is the most important person in the world to me and I didn't want her looking back in 30 years wishing that she had kids. I've told her that when the baby does arrive I'll be a doting father. I may not have wanted a child in an ideal world but it's a sacrifice I've made. The fact of the matter is I'm great with kids and always have been.

No offence Seamus but I don't need the advice you've given me above. I'm well aware of how my life is going to change- I planted the seed afterall- this was no accident. I knew what I was getting into when the deed was done and that's fine. My partners happiness is my foremost concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm early twenties and my girlfriend is late twenties. She wants kids and marriage and all that at some point, I've told her I don't. She says she'll give me a few years to change my mind :P

Ciarabear wrote: »
    It's really admirable that you would prioritise someone else's happiness so much over your own but I really don't think it's wise for anyone to knowingly produce a child they actively don't want.

A partnership is exactly that Ciara, a partnership. I can't tell her that we're not having children- it's not my decision alone. The desire for a woman to have a child is generally speaking much stronger than in a man.
    I'm big enough to forego what I would like in an ideal world- life is about striking a balance and in this instance having a baby is something she absolutely wanted. Choosing not to have a baby does not mean that I won't be a fantastic parent- I will. I will absolutely dote on both of them and be a very involved parent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Ciarabear

A partnership is exactly that Ciara, a partnership.

I couldn't agree more, a partnership where both people's happiness is of equal importance. It's about basic compatibility -compromising on the small stuff and sharing the same aspirations for the significant stuff.

I don't think a woman's desire to have a child makes her happiness more important than anyone else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No need to get defensive Kintaro, just trying to be helpful. I respect your willingness to sacrifice your happiness for her sake, I'm just a little concerned that your language around it is somewhat negative, so I'm trying to help suggest ways that can help relieve the stress you will experience. If you go into this thinking that you're taking on a burden, then you will have difficulty shaking that resentment when you're rocking a child to sleep at 5am and you haven't slept more than 2 consecutive hours in the last week.

There's no way I can say this without sounding condescending as hell, but you're not prepared. But that's OK, because it's not possible to be fully prepared, and you will realise that when you get into it. :)

Ciarabear wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, a partnership where both people's happiness is of equal importance. It's about basic compatibility -compromising on the small stuff and sharing the same aspirations for the significant stuff.

I don't think a woman's desire to have a child makes her happiness more important than anyone else's.

I don't believe I said that but I'm big enough to see that it's very important to her and I have no problem in making this compromise. I'm mature enough to have a holistic view of things and know fully what I'm getting myself into.

The simple nuts and bolts of the thing is that I'm big enough to make the decision and be happy with it. I don't have a problem with it and I can't see how anyone else could.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    No need to get defensive Kintaro, just trying to be helpful. I respect your willingness to sacrifice your happiness for her sake, I'm just a little concerned that your language around it is somewhat negative, so I'm trying to help suggest ways that can help relieve the stress you will experience. If you go into this thinking that you're taking on a burden, then you will have difficulty shaking that resentment when you're rocking a child to sleep at 5am and you haven't slept more than 2 consecutive hours in the last week.

There's no way I can say this without sounding condescending as hell, but you're not prepared. But that's OK, because it's not possible to be fully prepared, and you will realise that when you get into it. :)

Oh Seamus, I'm not being defensive- I'm sorry if it came out that way. The reality is I know what I'm doing and I'm fine with my decision.

I don't see it as being negative- in fact quite the opposite. I don't have any negative connotations about the decision I've undertook- I've simply been very honest and upfront.... perhaps that's where any confusion may lie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If you are in love ONLY with yourself and want only to feel great than ive nothing to say to you anymore...

I'll tell you what's selfish. Me having children and putting them through a life with a mother who is depressed, epileptic and likely to have a recurrence of cancer. Is that fair on them?

I don't think so. I haven't fully decided whether I want children or not but the above reasons don't help the do arguments. I don't plan on children for another 10 years though anyway so I do have plenty of time to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Oh Seamus, I'm not being defensive- I'm sorry if it came out that way. The reality is I know what I'm doing and I'm fine with my decision.

I don't see it as being negative- in fact quite the opposite. I don't have any negative connotations about the decision I've undertook- I've simply been very honest and upfront.... perhaps that's where any confusion may lie.

I'd say a lot of fellas go through what you're going through. I know my own brother was like you before he had his own but now he loves his kid/my nephew more than anything. I can imagine you can't but love them.

I suppose it's something us women have been stewing over our whole lives. We're reminded once a month of what's going on downstairs and it feels more real as a result and as women, it's a decision we all have to make in the end. Men have the extra obstacle of having to meet someone to have a kid with in the first place and perhaps the whole thing seems too abstract to really decide whether it's something yous want or not. I dunno.

Perhaps it's not so much a case of wanting to have kids for most men but more a case of whether you want to have kids with the particular woman you're with? Perhaps it's not even something you consider until you meet a specific person who you can imagine raising a kid with?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

We have cats, that's all we need. I am shocked that you and your soon-to-be wife have never talked about this?!

I'll say one thing, you never know for sure that you don't want children until you have them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement