Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Yep-If you debrand to a generic firmware say R1fa020 then SEUS will get you the updates quicker.Think the latest is 026.

Thanks. I disconnected all other USB devices and then SEUS worked and updated me to 026!

neacy69 wrote: »
    on my hero you can go to

people> tap on the contact> select menu when the details open> and select send contact details....

like i say that's on the hero but its android aswell

Nothing so fancy on the xperia Im afraid..you can hold you finger on the contact in the phonebook and it gives you some options, none of which are fwd contact:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Yep-If you debrand to a generic firmware say R1fa020 then SEUS will get you the updates quicker.Think the latest is 026.

I am with three.
    X10i
    Firmware 1.6
    BAseband 1.1.25
    Build R2BA020

Is the firmware the version that that gets updated or is it hte base band...?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thanks. I disconnected all other USB devices and then SEUS worked and updated me to 026!

What did you use to debrand??Havent done mine yet but think I might try get to 026 over the weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

padair wrote: »
    I am with three.
    X10i
    Firmware 1.6
    BAseband 1.1.25
    Build R2BA020

At the minute its the build that gets updated to 026.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I am with three.
    X10i
    Firmware 1.6
    BAseband 1.1.25
    Build R2BA020

I updated to R2BA026 with the newly updated Sony Ericsson PC Companion 2.0 via USB on my laptop without any problems.

Looking forward to Éclair in "a few weeks" :rolleyes:

Everytime I try to update my pc freezes. Then it say that the update cannot be completed. Pain in the Arse.

When updating it gets as far as Starting Update Engine and then I get the following message
    "Unable to install or start phone software update components"

Anyone else getting this message?

GreeBo wrote: »

Managed to upgrade my phone using SEUS. Cheers for the post

Battery has gone from < 24 hours to 56hours on a single charge for me...

roadmapqul65nho-1.jpg

A leaked document from the recent IFA show in Berlin indicates that Android 2.1 will be the finally OS to appear on the Xperia X10. There will be a further update called 2.1x, but similar to the 1.6x update in June it will mainly focus on the Timescape & Mediascape applications with various improvements and bug fixes.

• Advertisement

Raekwon wrote: »
    roadmapqul65nho-1.jpg

A leaked document from the recent IFA show in Berlin indicates that Android 2.1 will be the finally OS to appear on the Xperia X10. There will be a further update called 2.1x, but similar to the 1.6x update in June it will mainly focus on the Timescape & Mediascape applications with various improvements and bug fixes.

Can anyone translate the German.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

not a good advertisement for x10 on the apprentice! :-(

not a good advertisement for x10 on the apprentice! :-(

I don't watch that show, what happened?

I don't watch that show, what happened?

usual! the phone volume on call through speaker was crap!

couldnt dial right number!

they made it out to be one usin it but anyone had those issues in first few days til got used to keyboard!

usual! the phone volume on call through speaker was crap!

couldnt dial right number!

they made it out to be one usin it but anyone had those issues in first few days til got used to keyboard!

The show was probably filmed back before the first update came out in June because I'm using it with build number R2BA026 and it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I got the upgrade and I'm happy enough with some of the things (like mediascape, much faster) but no improvement in call quality, battery life is shorter than before and an annoying thing happens when I go into contact to make a call it directs me to edit the number before calling.

boosh_fan wrote: »
    I got the upgrade and I'm happy enough with some of the things (like mediascape, much faster) but no improvement in call quality, battery life is shorter than before and an annoying thing happens when I go into contact to make a call it directs me to edit the number before calling.

what ya mean? the update to R2BA026/R2BA020?

I'm on R2BA020 and find the battery life doubled. Can get 2 days out of it with internet and texts. If i play games its a charge a day tho! Homerun battle drains it like nothing else!!!

ya, that's what I meant the update. Battery life hasn't improved at all. Have since turned off all automatic updates and I get a bit more out of it now but still need to charge it every night

Update on Updates

I’ve seen all your questions around the planned Android 2.1 update of the current XPERIA range. I really hear your eagerness and thirst for more information – and of course the update itself.

We have earlier given some information on what to expect from this update and said that the roll-out was planned to start late Q3.

The plan for the added features and Android 2.1 step-up still holds but unfortunately we need a couple of more weeks before we are ready to start the roll-out.

The revised plan is to start the roll-out from end of October and onwards.

We are of course not happy about the change of launch timing but we have had to spend some additional time on the software to really makes sure we roll-out with the right quality and user experience.

When it comes to what to expect from the updated software all three X10 models will be updated to Android 2.1 and the Xperia X10 will also get HD video recording with continuous auto focus among many other things.

The key changes for the different products are the following:

Xperia X10:

* HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
    * Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
    * New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
    * 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
    * Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online

Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:

* Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
    * New backup and restore application with extended content back up
    * Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
    * Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
    * Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1

Over the coming weeks we will here on the product blog keep you updated with visual and video examples on what your phone will look like and be able to do after the update!

I’d also like to highlight that the update will be made available in a phased roll-out which means that different “kits” get the update at different times. It will take some additional weeks from end of October before all different kits have the new software available.

What we mean by a “kit” is a different configuration, i.e. colour of the phone, bundled accessories but most importantly in this case different software configurations.

The difference in software between different kits is mainly related to included languages, settings, applications etc – all this to comply with different legal and operator requirements.

A software upgrade roll-out is similar to a normal product launch, i.e. we roll out the products in a phased manner as the kits are completed. This is due to global and local type approvals and network testing and the same apply for a software upgrade.

From the end of October you will be able to follow availability of the new software on a market by market basis here on the blog.

I will keep you posted with more information and details as we go along.

Official source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

/sigh

Actually starting to regret choosing SE. I like the phone and most of its features but... man, is this annoying or what!?

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    /sigh

Actually starting to regret choosing SE. I like the phone and most of its features but... man, is this annoying or what!?

I've been regretting getting the Xperia X10 too even though I, like yourself, like the phone and some of its features. But Sony Ericsson are doing themselves absolutely no favours with their constant delays and broken promises in regards to updating the OS. I mean having a supposedly cutting edge phone running 1.6 six/seven months after launch when most competing devices already have 2.2 was a MASSIVE mistake by Sony Ericsson and has really hurt their potential sales and will most likely tarnish the reputation of their next Android device (rumoured to be the X12).

The phone had real potential to be serious competition for the HTC Desire & the Samsung Galaxy S but instead is now the laughing stock of the Android community. SE seriously dropped the ball on this one! I'm actually thinking of selling mine and getting a Desire HD when it gets released, at least then I will be running the latest software and not constantly being disappointed by false promises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

from http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/09/
    Update on Updates
    I’ve seen all your questions around the planned Android 2.1 update of the current XPERIA range. I really hear your eagerness and thirst for more information – and of course the update itself.

We have earlier given some information on what to expect from this update and said that the roll-out was planned to start late Q3.

The plan for the added features and Android 2.1 step-up still holds but unfortunately we need a couple of more weeks before we are ready to start the roll-out.

The revised plan is to start the roll-out from end of October and onwards.

We are of course not happy about the change of launch timing but we have had to spend some additional time on the software to really makes sure we roll-out with the right quality and user experience.

When it comes to what to expect from the updated software all three X10 models will be updated to Android 2.1 and the Xperia X10 will also get HD video recording with continuous auto focus among many other things.

The key changes for the different products are the following:

Xperia X10:
    • HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
    • Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
    • New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
    • 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
    • Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online

• Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving
    • pictures, contacts and more
    • New backup and restore application with extended content back up
    • Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
    • Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
    • Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
    Over the coming weeks we will here on the product blog keep you updated with visual and video examples on what your phone will look like and be able to do after the update!

I’d also like to highlight that the update will be made available in a phased roll-out which means that different “kits” get the update at different times. It will take some additional weeks from end of October before all different kits have the new software available.

What we mean by a “kit” is a different configuration, i.e. colour of the phone, bundled accessories but most importantly in this case different software configurations.

The difference in software between different kits is mainly related to included languages, settings, applications etc – all this to comply with different legal and operator requirements.

A software upgrade roll-out is similar to a normal product launch, i.e. we roll out the products in a phased manner as the kits are completed. This is due to global and local type approvals and network testing and the same apply for a software upgrade.

From the end of October you will be able to follow availability of the new software on a market by market basis here on the blog.

I will keep you posted with more information and details as we go along.

That was yesterdays news MiCrO ;)

It just goes to show how poor the Xperia X10 sales have been that huge news like this only gets one or two responses on a very active forum. If it was a HTC, Samsung or even an iPhone it would get it's own thread.

Sony Ericsson have severally shot themselves in the foot and releasing statements like this is not helping their flagging reputation.

Actually you know what, I'm going to start a thread on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

must read back further than 2 posts :-)

I have the x10 and my friend recently got the x10 mini. I can use bluetooth on mine but she can't use it on hers. When she took it into the shop where she got it they told her that the 1.6 operating system doesn't support bluetooth and to wait for the upgrade to 2.1. Any ideas why they would have told her this?

Oh dear, Sony Ericsson seem to be stoking the flames in regards to their constant update delays by launching expensive accessories for their over priced & underdeveloped phone. Cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

boosh_fan wrote: »
    I have the x10 and my friend recently got the x10 mini. I can use bluetooth on mine but she can't use it on hers. When she took it into the shop where she got it they told her that the 1.6 operating system doesn't support bluetooth and to wait for the upgrade to 2.1. Any ideas why they would have told her this?
    Cos they are fools, all your friend has to do is read the manual and try and sort it out. My GF has the X10 mini and it has working bluetooth.

Oh dear, Sony Ericsson seem to be stoking the flames in regards to their constant update delays by launching expensive accessories for their over priced & underdeveloped phone. Cringe!

completely useless too imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Coverage signal pretty poor compared to my last phone. When I leave the house now and a bombing blitz of messages come through as I hit signal i can't figure out what time the messages we're sent. It doesn't say in message details?

• Advertisement

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Coverage signal pretty poor compared to my last phone. When I leave the house now and a bombing blitz of messages come through as I hit signal i can't figure out what time the messages we're sent. It doesn't say in message details?

If you long press the message and choose "view message details" it'll tell you the time of the message.

That just gives the time the message was received when I hit coverage, doesn't give the time it was sent by the sender.

This is happening to me aswell. Its a royal pain in the ass

This thread is officially one year old! :p I'm sure if the OP knew the amount of grief that this phone has cased then he wouldn't have bothered :rolleyes:

In other news, Sony Ericsson have released another teaser video for their long over due update to Android 2.1.

This update was first pencilled in for June, then September and now October.......but it is November in a couple of days and their is still no word on when the update will be ready for download. It's beyond frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

This thread is officially one year old! :p I'm sure if the OP knew the amount of grief that this phone has cased then he wouldn't have bothered :rolleyes:

In other news, Sony Ericsson have released another teaser video for their long over due update to Android 2.1.

This update was first pencilled in for June, then September and now October.......but it is November in a couple of days and their is still no word on when the update will be ready for download. It's beyond frustrating!

Great video, looks like some good features, but come on already SE....make with the update!!!!!

I am having a problem downloading apps. For every app that I try to download I get the following message "Download was unsuccessful, please try again"

Has this occured to anyone and do you know how I can fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

I am having a problem downloading apps. For every app that I try to download I get the following message "Download was unsuccessful, please try again"

Has this occured to anyone and do you know how I can fix it?

settings, applications, manage applications, market, uninstall update.

had the same problem and this fixed it....market will work fine afterwards.

Ah ha.. All sorted.
    Thanks.

December now unless its delayed even further

Nothing on the official blog about the further delay :confused:

• Advertisement

Just checked around and it seems that, barring disaster of course, 2.1 will be released in the next few days:
    Thanks for all your 2.1 tweets. It’s in the last stages of testing so will be ready in the next few days. We'll update you with a date ASAP

Source

Finally it's here! :)

Today I can confirm that we will start the roll-out of the Android 2.1 based updates for Xperia X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro now this coming Sunday. The roll out will start in the evening European time.

So far I have received confirmation that the generic kits for the Nordic countries will be the very first ones out on Sunday evening and then there will be more kits coming already during Monday and then the roll-out will continue throughout the month of November.

As said earlier these updates will give you some features introduced by Android 2.1 and the Xperia X10 will also get HD-video recording in 720p with continuous auto focus.
    The changes in user experience after the update is a mix of things added or changed going from Android 1.6 to Android 2.1 and things changed or improved by us directly.

As a re-cap – The key changes for the different products are the following:

Xperia X10:
    • HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
    • Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
    • New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
    • 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
    • Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online

• Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
    • New backup and restore application with extended content back up
    • Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
    • Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
    • Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1

In most markets, your phone will automatically let you know with a notification when the update is ready for your specific software version and then you will be guided to how to perform the update using the PC Companion software. In that process, because of this being a big update, you will also be guided through some steps to be able to backup personal data before the update and then restore it when the update is finished. Find out more at www.sonyericsson.com/update

IMPORTANT: As I’ve pointed out previously here on the blog the software upgrade will be done in a phased roll-out which means that different “kits” gets the update at different times. This to secure quality in all networks and countries. So don’t get paranoid if your phone isn’t updated in the very first days – it will come!

What we mean by a “kit” is a different configuration, i.e. color of the phone, bundled accessories but most importantly in this case different software configurations. The difference in software between different kits is mainly related to included settings, applications, network configuration etc – all this to comply to different legal and network requirements. All of these different kits need separate approvals based on market and network, hence the phased roll-out.
    I will try to keep track of which versions that get released continuously and will post updates when new markets or “kits” become available. Feel free to share your findings in the comments section here when you get the update for your phone!

Source

Excellent. Its the best phone out there :D

Cant wait for this update.

Just bear in mind if you have a branded handset you could be waiting a while for the 2.1 update.

Best way to get it fast is to debrand to generic nordic firmware and then you should get the update this weekend.

Posting this from Xda Developers.
    The fastest easiest way to debrand your X10 to Nordic firmware fo rthe Eclair update due out today.
    1. Root your X10i/a (See other posts)
    2. Download Root Explorer.apk (market)
    3. Open Root Explorer and navigate to /SYSTEM
    4. Push on white button in the right top corner of Root Explorer (This wil change R/O in R/W).
    5. Long Press on the file Default.prop and choose "Open in Text Editor"
    6. Change in the folowing lines the XXXX-XXXX (scroll for firm codes):

ro.semc.version.cust=XXXX-XXXX
    ro.product.name=x10_XXXX-XXXX

7. Press "Menu" and choose save and exit
    8. Reboot your Phone
    9. Open PC Companion
    10. Choose Support Zone
    11. Choose Repair (Your phone will be reset and will update with the newest firmware)
    12. When done check your settings in de lock screen (menu-back-back-menu-back-menu-menu-back)

You will need to have the phone rooted with the 1-click root.You need a version of root explorer higher than 2.12.2 as this includes the "text editor" mentioned above.

Change the 2 lines in the above "default.prop" to 1234-8465,reboot and then run the Sony update service.
    You`ll end up with a debranded Nordic software version with the latest firmware.
    Back up everything before you do.I didnt bother as I was going to factory reset anyway for the update.

I have all the required files/apps here if anyone needs them.

The whole process takes less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Does it support pinch and zoom after the upgrade or is it just not possible on the x10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Does it support pinch and zoom after the upgrade or is it just not possible on the x10?

X10's hardware just can't support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

As far as I can remember it doesn't support multitouch at all, it's to do with a hardware limitation of the screen not the software!

Cheers for all the info guys. I have no clue about rooting so am not even going to try. Ive got a xperia from vodafone so how long do you know before i get the upgrade?

Cheers for all the info guys. I have no clue about rooting so am not even going to try. Ive got a xperia from vodafone so how long do you know before i get the upgrade?

Probably about 6 months + since they are still on the original firmware that was released with the X10--About 10 steps behind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement