Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Options

Comments

Hi all.

The X10 is due to launch on 3 circa 10-5-10. From what we've been told, it will be Android 2 OS on launch. No price point as of yet but I expect it will not be available on prepay at launch, more likely only on an 18-month contract similar to the launch of the Satio last year.

There is no word on the launch of the mini or mini pro as of yet, though 3 tend to stick to the one model when they launch it: N95/no N95 8GB, N97/no N97 Mini.

The rumour mill has the iPhone coming to 3 also so this will leave me with a big decision on my upgrade in june....

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

So who's got one so far? any issues?
    I picked up mine yesterday.
    Battery life is great.

I have a sony satio and it lasts a day (just)
    but the X10 lasted a whopping 9 hours with the satnav turned on today before it gave a battery warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Hi all.

The X10 is due to launch on 3 circa 10-5-10. From what we've been told, it will be Android 2 OS on launch. No price point as of yet but I expect it will not be available on prepay at launch, more likely only on an 18-month contract similar to the launch of the Satio last year.

Launch date was 8-04-2010
    Is 550 euro on prepay and from free on 18m contract with o2

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I know someone that has about as extensive an experience with different handsets as humanly possible. He has been using this for a few weeks and reckons that the X10 is possibly the best device that he has used and is superior to the new HTC devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    Can anyone confirm which of the following points the Xperia has or doesn't have at all?

I'm looking for something that:
    • Can hold over 1,000 contacts, limited only by phone memory
    • Would like to be able to search through contacts by just typing part of their name so instead of looking for say Kevin Rozenburg from the 50 Kevins I might have in my phone book, I could just type Roz and he'd pop up and the same with part of a phone number so I could just type in what I know to be a few sequential numbers in a phone number and any contacts with that sequence of numbers will show up.
    • Push email
    • Route calculation map with VIA point calculation, the iPhone default Google map can only calculate directions/distance between two points and not a VIA point (actual navigation isn't required as I use a standalone GPS).
    • Capability to sync with Google calendar and export contacts into a CSV file for use in spreadsheets etc.
    • Wifi
    • MSN?
    • Decent camera that can record video
    • Voice recognition would be handy. I don't know if the technology is there but if it's possible to write a text by speaking, this would be handy.
    • Other things I like about my current phone, SE G900; the recent call list is huge, it uses the flash as a torch really well, easy to save numbers you've just gotten a call off that you don't have in your phonebook.
    • I also like the shortcut buttons for phonebook, messaging, volume, calls and calendar but with all the latest phones being touch screen, I don't know if this is asking to much as well as all of the above :)

Also, what would be the situation with apps and stuff with this phone? I know there's an app on the iPhone that lets you use your webtexts to send texts for pretty much no cost.

Would appreciate any insight :)

• Advertisement

mooneyd wrote: »
    Launch date was 8-04-2010
    Is 550 euro on prepay and from free on 18m contract with o2

Yes, O2 have once again got theirs out ahead of 3, the general reason being that 3 install their own software on handsets, similar to vodafone Live! (it may be firmware though as some handsets have been dropped after being announced due to software issues, nokia 6600 fold/slide).
    cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone confirm which of the following points the Xperia has or doesn't have at all?

I'm looking for something that:
    • Can hold over 1,000 contacts, limited only by phone memory
    • Would like to be able to search through contacts by typing just a part of their name, so instead of looking for, say, Kevin Rozenburg, from the 50 Kevins I might have in my phone book, I could just type Roz and he'd pop up, and the same with part of a phone number so I could just type in what I know to be a few sequential numbers in a phone number and any contacts with that sequence of numbers will show up.
    • Push email
    • Route calculation map with VIA point calculation, the iPhone default Google map can only calculate directions/distance between two points and not a VIA point (actual navigation isn't required as I use a standalone GPS).
    • Capability to sync with Google calendar and export contacts into a CSV file for use in spreadsheets etc.
    • Wifi
    • MSN?
    • Decent camera that can record video
    • Voice recognition would be handy. I don't know if the technology is there but if it's possible to write a text by speaking, this would be handy.
    • Other things I like about my current phone, SE G900; the recent call list is huge, it uses the flash as a torch really well, easy to save numbers you've just gotten a call off that you don't have in your phonebook.
    • I also like the shortcut buttons for phonebook, messaging, volume, calls and calendar but with all the latest phones being touch screen, I don't know if this is asking too much as well as all of the above :)

Also, what would be the situation with apps and stuff with this phone? I know there's an app on the iPhone that lets you use your webtexts to send texts for pretty much no cost.

Would appreciate any insight :)

The X10 has most of the features you've listed above, it's easier to mark out what isn't there. MSN will be there if you're on 3, flash as a torch I wouldn't be sure about and you can set up your own shortcuts AFAIK. I sincerely doubt that talk-to-text will be on any phone in the near future but then with the way things are going, it probably won't be too long before we see it. How functional it will be is another thing.

As for apps, there is somewhere in the region of 70K available already and growing fast. It will only be a matter of time before there is a corresponding one to the iPhone webtext app if it's not already out there.

Oh yeah, the 'Via point' thing I really don't know about but I think the maps should have a more feature-rich version on the android OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Anyone bought from these guys? Fonezonline

540 simfree

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Are you sure it's unlocked from O2..... Not like them to do something nice for consumers *

Also found it in the UK for E528 according to XE

* iPhone tethering costs

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Do you know the day when xperia will be available with Three? I rang them and was told by one guy - 03/05/2010 is that correct? Do you know price please? Sorry I have just read earlier post..
    Du you know price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

so basically sim free ? might try and get one to work on Meteor

Is it also on Android 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nope, still running on Android 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 have approved the X10 for launch within the next 14days. They are currently testing the X10 mini and pro. All will have Android 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Used 1 today for a few mins. The device is a lot lighter than I thought it would be, also extremely nice to hold in the hand. The version of the OS that I used also seemed to be extremely responsive but it was only a quick play.

Can anyone tell me is this a drag and drop device or is software/drivers going to be needed to get music and photos etc on to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

lovely to use - my first proper touch screen so using sms is a bit of a pain but will get the hang.

no radio which is a big bad point for me as I prefer radio to music i put on myself.

camera is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah most Android phones dont have an inbuilt FM Radio (HTC Tattoo does)
    The X10 should really have come with the MW600 FM Handsfree, but only some markets will sell it in the box.

Spec here:-
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/overview/mw600?cc=gb&lc=en

They have a good price for one here:-
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/sony-ericsson-mw600-p22693.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

With the delay on the Desire and now I see this lovely looking smartphone I'm confused as to which phone to go for? No sense ui on the xperia is a bit of a downside, also read a few reviews that text input was a bit dodgey(The reviews were on the older Adroid 1.6 so possibly fixed since then?) and no FM Radio by default. Battery life is reportedly pretty good(for a smartphone) with the Xperia and the mediascape app sounds very nice. Hmm lots to consider. I think I'll sit back and see what happens before I make a decision :cool:

Tell me about it, I've a brand new iPhone sitting in its box waiting for me to decide whether I keep it, or sell it to get money to buy Nexus One/N900/Xperia and I still don't know.

The one thing about the iphone is they are so popular that the likelihood of an app being available to do what I want it to do is higher and that if I ever have a problem or query, chances are it's been discussed a million times already and just have to type it quickly into google and get the solution in a minute or so. Take yesterday for example I wanted to know if my brother could input Lat/Long coordinates into his iPhone to find somewhere, I googled iphone coordinates and the first result was the answer, google xperia coordinates and it doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere.

Also, with the popularity of the iPhone, it's more likely to last longer in terms of support and things for it whereas the other phone companies may always be trying to keep up/beat the iphone and releasing newer models while the old ones take less priority with development bugs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

With the delay on the Desire and now I see this lovely looking smartphone I'm confused as to which phone to go for? No sense ui on the xperia is a bit of a downside, also read a few reviews that text input was a bit dodgey(The reviews were on the older Adroid 1.6 so possibly fixed since then?). Battery life is reportedly pretty good(for a smartphone) with the Xperia. Hmm lots to consider. I think I'll sit back and see what happens before I make a decision :cool:

Apparantly there's no multitouch on it. And there never will be because it's a hardware issue. Whether or not you like "pinch to zoom" on the web browser, maps, or gallery is up to you as to whether you can live without. But where the lack of multitouch really becomes noticeable is in typing. Keyboards have an entirely different algorithym to work out your key strokes on a single touch keyboard compared to a multi-touch one. Also, if you're a gamer it's v bad news.

The x10 is awesome otherwise, but if you think multi-touch is important for you, then go for the desire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Apparantly there's no multitouch on it. And there never will be because it's a hardware issue. Whether or not you like "pinch to zoom" on the web browser, maps, or gallery is up to you as to whether you can live without. But where the lack of multitouch really becomes noticeable is in typing. Keyboards have an entirely different algorithym to work out your key strokes on a single touch keyboard compared to a multi-touch one. Also, if you're a gamer it's v bad news.

The x10 is awesome otherwise, but if you think multi-touch is important for you, then go for the desire.

Yeah your probably right, I was playing around with a friend's HTC HD2 and I was even finding it hard to type out a text message on that! He reckons its something you have to get used when your coming from using a tactile button phone all your life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

cormie wrote: »
    Tell me about it, I've a brand new iPhone sitting in its box waiting for me to decide whether I keep it, or sell it to get money to buy Nexus One/N900/Xperia and I still don't know.

The one thing about the iphone is they are so popular that the likelihood of an app being available to do what I want it to do is higher and that if I ever have a problem or query, chances are it's been discussed a million times already and just have to type it quickly into google and get the solution in a minute or so. Take yesterday for example I wanted to know if my brother could input Lat/Long coordinates into his iPhone to find somewhere, I googled iphone coordinates and the first result was the answer, google xperia coordinates and it doesn't seem to have been discussed anywhere.

Also, with the popularity of the iPhone, it's more likely to last longer in terms of support and things for it whereas the other phone companies may always be trying to keep up/beat the iphone and releasing newer models while the old ones take less priority with development bugs etc.

What if you googled Android coordinates ? that would probably show you the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Got this phone last weekend and I'm having great fun playing around with it. It's my first smart phone and I'm loving android. My only complaint about it so far was that the keypad is a bit sticky to use. Anyway I found a blog with good instructions on how to change the keyboard to the htc one. Worked perfectly and the htc keyboard is more responsive and faster. Might be handy for any of you with the X10.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No way? I was 99% sure i'd go for the x10 but not if it has no multi touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I talked with nice girl in dundrum today. She said that xperia will arrive in minimum two weeks time. I asked about price and they had a full price list! For my 150 plan I would have to pay about 420euro! And this is for 12months contract. In this case I am getting HTC desire...

Also, why multi touch is so important?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

got an X10 yesterday and somehow in the changeover from Meteor to O2 my contacts have got "stuck" on the new o2 SIM card and the guys in the shop can't find the setting to move them onto the phone. Any ideas as I'm kinda lost without my numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

draffodx wrote: »
    No way? I was 99% sure i'd go for the x10 but not if it has no multi touch!

The X10 is my first foray into the realm of the smart-phone - my old phone being a SE k800i - and I read reviews upon review to decide on what to get and whether or not the X10 was any good or whether I should wait for the HTC Desire. Whilst the lack of multi-touch made me baulk initially, upon thinking about it and weighing up against other more important factors (imo), it really didn't stack up. I can summarise my final thoughts on multi-touch at this point in time as;

"If you are moving from a tactile phone, then you wont miss multi-touch because you've simply never had it ..."

So you need to ask yourself if you want multi-touch for the sake of having another obscure and trivial* feature to show off with, or because you know you are going to need it for something specific (other than games).

Are there really that many apps that genuinely use multi-touch available for android phones? Games don't count because if you're choosing a phone because of a game then you really need to rethink your decision making process.

On the X10 itself, I'm chuffed with mine and it's a lovely phone. Granted, battery life isn't as good as with my k800i and it will occasionally lag (or else I'm just not used to the touch screen yet, I can't tell which) but not too seriously. But otherwise I'm pleased I went with it

Incidentally, seeing the difference between my Vodafone UK account (X10) and what I was being offered and paying on my Vodafone IRL account (k800i), it's an eye-opener in showing the utter shafting Irish consumers are being given.

* I don't consider multi-touch "trivial", more something that has a purpose. If it isn't being used by you, then it's a trivial and pointless feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

boosh_fan wrote: »
    got an X10 yesterday and somehow in the changeover from Meteor to O2 my contacts have got "stuck" on the new o2 SIM card and the guys in the shop can't find the setting to move them onto the phone. Any ideas as I'm kinda lost without my numbers.

(From a Nexus One) Open contacts, press menu. There should be an option to import/export contacts. Hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

clacks wrote: »
    (From a Nexus One) Open contacts, press menu. There should be an option to import/export contacts. Hope it works.

It worked - Thanks! So simple in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

For a touch only device multi touch is very very important. For regular phone use it's quite alright but for many apps multi touch is a necessity. Besides that, the majority of android phones have multi touch meaning the majority of apps will attempt to take advantage of multi touch meaning you're losing out on a whole lot of apps by taking a non-multitouch phone.

Advertisement