Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official SE XPERIA X10 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

For a touch only device multi touch is very very important. For regular phone use it's quite alright but for many apps multi touch is a necessity. Besides that, the majority of android phones have multi touch meaning the majority of apps will attempt to take advantage of multi touch meaning you're losing out on a whole lot of apps by taking a non-multitouch phone.

I was so happy with introduction of this phone and couldnt wait to get it. But now, with info about lack of multitouch - NO WAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

I haven't noticed the lack of multitouch yet. I'd agree with Lemming on it so far anyway. I picked this phone as it suits what I want it to do. I considered the Legend but Layar doesn't work with the Legend so that counted it out, I was also put off by the meteor 3g problems. The htc Desire is probably the only other phone I'd seriously consider and I suppose I'll see over the next while whether it was a good choice to go for the xperia.

I thought I wouldn't use the timescape thingy but I've found it's actually really useful. If you use twitter and facebook a lot like I do then it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Word on the street is that the Xperia x10 actually DOES have multitouch! To be added as part of an update to Android 2.1 sometime around August/September

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/16/sony-ericsson-x10-can-do-multitouch-after-all-will-get-android/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Word on the street is that the Xperia x10 actually DOES have multitouch! To be added as part of an update to Android 2.1 sometime around August/September

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/16/sony-ericsson-x10-can-do-multitouch-after-all-will-get-android/

Makes more sense, but no 2.1 until September?? :eek:

What is it shipped with? 1.6 or 2.0.1?

Comes with 1.6 as far as I know. Havent even got one myself but I'm contemplating it.

• Advertisement

Hi All, is it possible to activate multi touch? Does it not depend on hardware - screen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

iwo wrote: »
    Hi All, is it possible to activate multi touch? Does it not depend on hardware - screen ?
    It depends on the hardware and then the software for it to work. The screen that the Xperia X10 is made with simply doesn't support multi touch so no amount of software modification can change that.

It depends on the hardware and then the software for it to work. The screen that the Xperia X10 is made with simply doesn't support multi touch so no amount of software modification can change that.

Did you not see my post 4 replies up, the x10 is capable of multitouch.
    Another link: http://www.simbasics.co.uk/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-to-get-multi-touch-and-android-2-1/6304

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Did you not see my post 4 replies up, the x10 is capable of multitouch.
    Another link: http://www.simbasics.co.uk/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-to-get-multi-touch-and-android-2-1/6304
    I would rather believe Sony Ericsson's product manager than a website but I guess time will tell.

And :eek: at them planning to release 2.1 in September. Are they mad? 2.1 was released back in January and FroYo is to be released next month and with FroYo comes proper flash support and apparently there will be DivX support too. HTC are more than likely going to have the Sense version ready fairly soon after release as they are going to be releasing the HTC Evo in the states with FroYo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

according to bargain alerts thread you can get this phone sim free for €372.50 delivered!!!!!

http://www.maxroam.com/Shop/Product/Detail.aspx?ProductId=774

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm the proud new owner of an Xperia X10 and I have to say that it's a very slick device. The camera is very good (apart from it not having a proper flash) and Timescape is really handy. The only drawback for me is the multi-touch issue, it would be dead handy for using the browser, checking maps etc instead of the double tap zoom and pan, hopefully the 2.1 will sort out that (fingers crossed anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

I have this phone for a few days now and i am well impressed. although multitouch would be nice i personally have no need for it. The camera is very good. The only drawback is the battery but if you turn off gps wifi and bluetooth when you are not using them and set timescape to check every hour instead of every 15 mins this should save a bit of power!

JAMM222 wrote: »
    I have this phone for a few days now and i am well impressed. although multitouch would be nice i personally have no need for it. The camera is very good. The only drawback is the battery but if you turn off gps wifi and bluetooth when you are not using them and set timescape to check every hour instead of every 15 mins this should save a bit of power!

Did you get yours from MaxRoam in the end? I ordered and paid for one but they emailed me last Friday to say they had none left and refunded my credit card. They didnt know when they would be getting them back in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i was going to but then i decided to get one from adverts. it was only a week old and in perfect nik u should try there. i got it for €350:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

i got an xperia a couple of weeks ago. the battery is not great but im getting most of the day out of it now. has anyone else noticed that when it fully charges it goes back to using the battery again, even though its plugged in? maybe i got a faulty one, but its seems like a software issue to me

alanc2003 wrote: »
    i got an xperia a couple of weeks ago. the battery is not great but im getting most of the day out of it now. has anyone else noticed that when it fully charges it goes back to using the battery again, even though its plugged in? maybe i got a faulty one, but its seems like a software issue to me

I read somewhere that thats the norm, it will charge to 100% then stop and start charging again when it drops to 95%. Does mean if you have it left charging all night beside your bed for an alarm that it will light up every now and then as it starts charging again?

I read somewhere that thats the norm, it will charge to 100% then stop and start charging again when it drops to 95%. Does mean if you have it left charging all night beside your bed for an alarm that it will light up every now and then as it starts charging again?

thanks for the info. how they thought that was a good idea ill never know, better get on to sony and complain, they might change it for the next update!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

alanc2003 wrote: »

Hi alan,
    Im using my X10 on the 3 network.

Quick question for you do you use the internet much on the phone?
    If not or during quiet times.
    Turn off the 3g function on your handset and the battery is so much better,

I had my phone 100% charged @ 11:30 pm wok up at 8am and had 64% battery life remaining.

But turned off the 3g and left it 2G and went from 100% - 94% over the same time frame

mooneyd wrote: »
    Hi alan,
    Im using my X10 on the 3 network.

Quick question for you do you use the internet much on the phone?
    If not or during quiet times.
    Turn off the 3g function on your handset and the battery is so much better,

I had my phone 100% charged @ 11:30 pm wok up at 8am and had 64% battery life remaining.

But turned off the 3g and left it 2G and went from 100% - 94% over the same time frame
    I downloaded an app that turns off 3g when the phone is idle. I get most of the day out of it now. Its the way it uses the battery when its plugged in that really bugs me!

Where possable try use your Wifi it seems to be easier on the battery than the 3G connection

• Advertisement

The SE X10 upgrade from sony is due out sin september. Im looking into it as it may be that we dont actually get 2.1 it could be 2.0 or 2.2 depending.
    Iv been onto my Sony rep who hopes to be back to me by wednesday.

The Hardware is said not to handle Multitouch. BUT Other's say it will. Android 1.6 doesnt support but 2.0 and above does so heres to hoping. It was never something I wanted or needed in a phone but I think I would like it in the X10

Hows everyone finding their phone's so far?

Details of the UXP update coming out later this year: here
    - Upgrade to Android OS version 2.1
    - HD video recording as per the same execution as Sony Ericsson Vivaz™
    - Wireless home connectivity via DLNA
    - Improvements to signature applications Timescape™ and Mediascape to make them even smarter and richer

Hopefully by September SE will skip 2.1 and go straight to 2.2 to keep up with the HTC devices.

Fingers crossed

No multitouch for X10...and so...I am getting desire

cd1dd0c1eb2758c5efa7ed88051f7095?s=32&d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D32&r=G Malcolm says:
    March 30, 2010 at 10:47 am
    Sumit has confirmed the non-multitouch situation here:
    http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/03/26/xperia-x10-launch-consumer-research-program-started/comment-page-9/#comments
    Sumit Malhotra says:
    March 29, 2010 at 11:06 pm
    Back in November, I posted that X10 will not support multi touch functionality at launch, but will be considered for the future. I can appreciate that even though there wasn´t a commitment, such wording both creates expectations (small or big) on future support and implies restrictions on software side.
    That is the information I had in hand at that point of time. I am well aware that you rate multi touch functionality very high and therefore I regret to inform you that X10 screen hardware does not register simultaneous entries. Meaning even though we will upgrade the underlying operating system in relation to upgrading our user experience layer, X10 will not support multi touch functionality. We believe that it is important for you who follow this blog to be clear on that, which is the reason why I want to confirm Rikard’s comment.
    We are working on alternative solutions for certain use cases, like zooming. I will share more details about that initiative once confirmed.
    Due to vendor understanding and agreements, we don´t discuss in detail regarding hardware specifications. Having said that, X10 is upgradable and as earlier described there will be significant value offered through upgrades. X10 is about to reach stores and early consumer feedback is very positive, also highlighting room for improvement which we will share in due time.
    Regards,

multi touch not a huge issue for me to be honest.
    Finally found a LED flashlight app so im happy.

For some strange reason I can sometimes use multi-touch on Google Maps on on Opera Mini :confused:

There is still a slight chance that it will be in the 2.1/2.2 upgrade........I'm not discounting it until it is officially announced by Sony Ericsson that the device cannot and never will be capable of multi-touch. Then again, if they are able to upgrade the WVGA video recording to HD video recording then they might a have a few more tricks up there sleeves.

You never know

Raekwon wrote: »
    For some strange reason I can sometimes use multi-touch on Google Maps on on Opera Mini :confused:

There is still a slight chance that it will be in the 2.1/2.2 upgrade........I'm not discounting it until it is officially announced by Sony Ericsson that the device cannot and never will be capable of multi-touch. Then again, if they are able to upgrade the WVGA video recording to HD video recording then they might a have a few more tricks up there sleeves.

I just quoted this two posts earlier. This is official SE massage. This is hardware issue not OS.

• Advertisement

iwo wrote: »
    I just quoted this two posts earlier. This is official SE massage. This is hardware issue not OS.

Ah so you did, I must of missed that........actually I read the word 'Desire' and stopped reading :D

Advertisement