Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That is one study among hundreds. These traits can be observed in everyday life, it is indisputable. Women in general are more agreeable while men in general are more stoic. Im not sure how May rose through the ranks because she is a pushover unlike the strong female leaders mentioned in this thread.

OK - that’s enough of that. Making sweeping generalisations about the sexes is not helping your argument. Stick to specifics.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Dytalus wrote: »
    Can you clarify how, exactly, the EU forced May and the British government into their impossible triangle of goals?

I cannot say for sure. What I can say is that the current political class of both the EU and Britian do not want Brexit. Looking at the actions of both entities, it is clear they are both using stalling tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I cannot say for sure. What I can say is that the current political class of both the EU and Britian do not want Brexit. Looking at the actions of both entities, it is clear they are both using stalling tactics.

Both entities are stalling? You can't say how the EU is responsible, but they totally are because...they're evil or something.

The EU has consistently asked the UK to decide what it wants. The UK has either not come up with a proper answer (wanting access to the Single Market...without being part of the Single Market), or not come up with an answer at all (the NI issue prior to the backstop). The EU, meanwhile, has never once shifted their goalposts of protecting the Single Market, and upholding the GFA. They've hit the furthest they are willing and able to go while protecting their own interests (as any entity should absolutely do) and can go no further without breaking some kind of treaty or agreement made with non-UK bodies.

It's not the EU which has refused to sign a document they helped to write. It's not the EU which consistently demands impossible things. It's not the EU which has continuously delayed making a decision.

This situation is in no way the EU's fault.

Dytalus wrote: »
    This situation is in no way the EU's fault.

If the EU are so perfect then why do the British want to leave? Why is there growing resentment towards the union? There are plenty of things the EU has done delay Brexit. For example the extortionate divorce bill, allowing an extension until October 31st, the blatant opposition to Brexit from top EU officials, I could go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If the EU are so perfect then why do the British want to leave? Why is there growing resentment towards the union? There are plenty of things the EU has done delay Brexit. For example the extortionate divorce bill, allowing an extension until October 31st, the blatant opposition to Brexit from top EU officials, I could go on and on.

please do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Both. The EU dont respect democracy and didnt want the British to leave. The Brits put a weak remainer in charge. The EU took advantage of Mays weakness. A stronger PM would have put their personal wishes aside and battled for Brexit.

What exactly is it that the brits want from Europe in order for them to leave?

The only thing about the whole thing that I'm sure of is that brexit means brexit..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Because deep in the English psyche there is a belief in English superiority and exceptionalism. This is especially prevalent in Tory party supporters.

Because deep in the English psyche there is a belief in English superiority and exceptionalism. This is especially prevalent in Tory party supporters.

There is growing resentment towards the EU it is not just a British thing. It is happening in Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary, France.

The only thing about the whole thing that I'm sure of is that brexit means brexit..

Thats the thing, the majority of Brits dont want amything from the EU, it is the political elites who are dragging their heals.

• The extortionate divorce bill: The Pro-Rata of costings?
    • Allowing an extension until October 31st: Because Britain can not pass the WA, they insisted on, and asked for an extension?
    • The blatant opposition to Brexit from top EU officials: You expect them to want this? Yet the UK not being able to agree on an exit strategy is the delay, not matter what EU officials want

Please do go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

If the EU are so perfect then why do the British want to leave? Why is there growing resentment towards the union?

Graham Hughes's PUBCAST | Why Do Brits Think The EU Is Their Enemy:

https://youtu.be/f5Ve7kbLoAo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Thats the thing, the majority of Brits dont want amything from the EU, it is the political elites who are dragging their heals.

What are you basing this opinion on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There is growing resentment towards the EU it is not just a British thing. It is happening in Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary, France.

All of those countries would vote Remain by a vast majority if a referendum were held tomorrow. In fact, support for the EU is growing in 26 of the 28 countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What I can say is that the current political class of both the EU and Britian do not want Brexit. Looking at the actions of both entities, it is clear they are both using stalling tactics.

To which you can add big business in Britain. And he who pays the piper ultimately calls the tune.

All of those countries would vote Remain by a vast majority if a referendum were held tomorrow. In fact, support for the EU is growing in 26 of the 28 countries.

I said there was a growing resentment not a majority and I dont care what Europol surveys say thhey are complete bs

Balanadan wrote: »
    They're sending MEPs to Europe to pocket our money while turning their backs and acting the bollocks.

The door is open, why are they taking so long to leave?

Seeing as the UK actually contributes money to the European Union, I’d say the Brexit party MEPs are actually pocketing their own money, not Ireland’s.

What are you basing this opinion on?

Referendum results & politicians actions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That is one study among hundreds. These traits can be observed in everyday life, it is indisputable. Women in general are more agreeable while men in general are more stoic. Im not sure how May rose through the ranks because she is a pushover unlike the strong female leaders mentioned in this thread.

Specifics please. How is she a pushover?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

allowing an extension until October 31st
    :p:p:p
    The absolute cheek of the EU to be accomodating!
    Instead they should have declined the extension and acted like the bullies the UK tell them they are!!!

• The extortionate divorce bill: The Pro-Rata of costings?
    • Allowing an extension until October 31st: Because Britain can not pass the WA, they insisted on, and asked for an extension?
    • The blatant opposition to Brexit from top EU officials: You expect them to want this? Yet the UK not being able to agree on an exit strategy is the delay, not matter what EU officials want

Please do go on...

Ah come off it. The EU will do anything to keep the brits there. We can see from our own country that they do not care about the will of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Based on what exactly? You do know that there are other countries who are not happy with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

I dont care what Europol surveys say thhey are complete bs
    Referendum results & politicians actions

You're making me very confused :(
    What surveys should we be using as reference and which should we be disregarding?

Specifics please. How is she a pushover?

8b041e8241f0840d2cece131a724e0d4?width=650

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How about putting some effort into an actual argument?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

8b041e8241f0840d2cece131a724e0d4?width=650

The kid's a comedian.

Ah come off it. The EU will do anything to keep the brits there. We can see from our own country that they do not care about the will of the people.

Show, with examples, how I am incorrect please?

You said that you could "go on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm a pro Brexit and I don't want anything from them. Most pro-Brexit people I know feel the same way. The politicians, both EU and British, are holding things up because they don't want to be the ones who pull the trigger. If Brexit is a disaster, it's the end of the British politicians, if it succeeds, the EU is in big trouble.

484240.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm sure the majority of people in Britain who voted for Brexit ie the majority are thinking we voted for Brexit why are the immigrants still here scrounging off our system. You can't have a remainer in Theresa May trying to negotiate a deal which she didn't even want in the first place.

Despite voting for Brexit the UK still signed the UN migration pact. They need a true nationalist leader to be able to pull off Brexit someone like Salvini in Italy but they're getting what they deserve for continuing to vote for the Tories and Labour.

• Advertisement

484241.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement