Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

While I definitely don't like the Nowlan Park naming bit at all and I will only ever call it Nowlan Park or the Park. I do think the Avonmore/Glanbia sponsorship had gone stale. I heard the figure that they contributed this year and I'm not surprised there is a new sponsor. Don't get me wrong Glanbia have been great to Kilkenny and are a huge local employer but I think both sides took it for granted maybe over the last few years. For the kind of exposure Kilkenny offer any sponsor the figure they were paying was a steal last year anyway. The county board have hopefully woken up and got a decent deal for the county. By the way I don't blame Glanbia for getting it at the lowest price possible that's their job but the county board seriously underestimated their pulling power. Hopefully this new deal sees a significant increase in the contribution. As an aside I'm fairly sure Buckley works for UMPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

While I definitely don't like the Nowlan Park naming bit at all and I will only ever call it Nowlan Park or the Park. I do think the Avonmore/Glanbia sponsorship had gone stale. I heard the figure that they contributed this year and I'm not surprised there is a new sponsor. Don't get me wrong Glanbia have been great to Kilkenny and are a huge local employer but I think both sides took it for granted maybe over the last few years. For the kind of exposure Kilkenny offer any sponsor the figure they were paying was a steal last year anyway. The county board have hopefully woken up and got a decent deal for the county. By the way I don't blame Glanbia for getting it at the lowest price possible that's their job but the county board seriously underestimated their pulling power. Hopefully this new deal sees a significant increase in the contribution. As an aside I'm fairly sure Buckley works for UMPC.

Have I miss read the statement but is Glanbia/Avonmore sponsorship deal now concluded? The statement by the county boards refers only to renaming of Nowlan Park....... but nothing to say that UPMC brand will be on the jerseys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Have I miss read the statement but is Glanbia/Avonmore sponsorship deal now concluded? The statement by the county boards refers only to renaming of Nowlan Park....... but nothing to say that UPMC brand will be on the jerseys etc

That's my reading of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

Toally pointless. Even some people in the media call Wexford’s ground Wexford Park

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

its only for the stadium, wont affect the jersey sponsorship .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Brian017 wrote: »
    Toally pointless. Even some people in the media call Wexford’s ground Wexford Park

It's always the print media and national tv who call it Innovate Wexford Park. To be fair, that's the way it's going. Naming rights for county grounds will become the norm and it'll seep slowly into our heads over time.

Counties now see fundraising as a bit thing and, from figures mentioned at end of year reports, it's understandable. Senior teams need the money for the staffroon of 'helpers' - food, gear and overnight stays etc. It's a business now.

With Dublin with AIG - like they sponsor the All Blacks, other counties are looking at big global names instead of smaller Irish businesses.

I see some counties employ a person and his role is a commercial manager - basically a fundraiser e.g. goes around trying to get sponsors etc. big and small. Another part of the remit is to tap into Gaels in America - big dinners and bringing county players over for a coaching session but all about gathering money in the pot!! I think Roscommon employed somebody recently but on part-time basis to see if it's viable in the longer term. Does Eanna Martin do a job like this for Wexford or what's his role?

Regardless, the GAA at county level is big business especially with 15 of a back room. I'd say that's why Micheal Don. of Galway pulled the pin - looking at Tipp, the Dubs and Limerick with plenty of pulling power behind them and Galway , with their issues, wouldn't compete with that. He would have to let lads go from his backroom. That's my opinion anyway.

Hard to know when and where it'll stop - I don't think it will. Top end being flooded with money whereas club teams are folding or have to amalgamate at underage. In another year or two, reserve leagues will drop to the wayside I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Brian017 wrote: »

It's beneficial financially for the County Board, so hardly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Glanbia will continue as sponsors we are now in line with a lot of other county
    Grounds
    Innovate wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Yeah, should have been a straight red. And the fact that he was already on a yellow, hard to know why he wasn't sent off.
    Cheddar sent to the stand, not sure why.
    It was a very start stop game. Tense at times, but never really got going, Village always responded when Comer came close. Cracking goal by Luke Scanlon.

He was on with colm Parkinson on a podcast. An he was explaining how as a manager he would often mark the space beside a defender .that it tightens up the field an would prevent forward s from running into the corner. Liam Dowling was on to him before the ref got involved. But he refused to leave the field

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Village87

How much will Kilkenny get roughly for the re branding of Nowlan Park ?

Also launching a big fundraiser in New York when over there for the tournament in America. Trying to sell tables for €20,000 a pop.

• Advertisement

No I think I'm the one who miss read it.

I still think the deal Glanbia have is a bargin. I think a county with Kilkenny's profile can secure a better deal with another sponsor or force Glanbias hand. Glanbia are a huge global company at this point they spent €750m building their Belview plant a few years ago and I hear their building another huge plant down there. It's great Kilkenny is getting those plants and it shows the kind of money they have and Glanbia can definitely afford a better sponsorship deal, weather they want to give one is another thing.

As far as I know AIG's deal with Dublin is worth €800,000 a year to the county board in Dublin. I wouldn't expect our deal to be anything like that but I would expect it to be a bit better than a little over 10% of Dublins. We're one of the most high profile counties in the GAA and definitely for our size we punch above our weight. It must surely be worth a bit more than what we have, Tipps Teneo deal is double ours, they have 60% more people than use in Tipp. We should be getting 35 to 40% more than our current deal, to be on a level per capita basis with Tipp. I know Tipps deal was new last year and perhaps we're tied into a few years with Glanbia which is fair enough. I would be looking for a better deal whenever the existing deal expires. I'm not having a go at Glanbia they've been great for Kilkenny county and GAA over the years. I just think the County board need to drive a harder deal next time around.

EDIT:
    No details of the amount but the current Glanbia deal was signed in Feb this year http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2472

Village87 wrote: »
    How much will Kilkenny get roughly for the re branding of Nowlan Park ?

Also launching a big fundraiser in New York when over there for the tournament in America. Trying to sell tables for €20,000 a pop.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/484490/kilkenny-gaa-take-their-vision-for-development-to-new-york.html I hope it goes well for them and they fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was gobsmacked when I saw it. Having Brian Kelly there will be a huge help, he's a really big deal for Irish Americans.

I was gobsmacked when I saw it. Having Brian Kelly there will be a huge help, he's a really big deal for Irish Americans.

That's what I'm talking about in earlier message I posted. County teams must be proactive in sourcing funds - wherever that may be.

Although eye must not be taken off the ball re: underage development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Don't know the figure, but the fact is that Kilkenny has a small population.

There are only two counties really with a large audience within the county itself, that's Cork and Dublin.

After that you are depending on the goodwill of a benefactor so to speak, such as Kerry Group in Kerry, Investec in Monaghan.

Not being smart but unless KK is reaching all Ireland finals, then there is limited value to the sponsorship. Particularly as there is no following for the football.

By comparison, Roscommon - with a similar population, and doing pretty well in the football - have not been able to get a sponsor at all in recent years.

Do you know who Wicklows sponsor is ? Or Louths? and yet they have a bigger population than Kilkenny....

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Don't know the figure, but the fact is that Kilkenny has a small population.

There are only two counties really with a large audience within the county itself, that's Cork and Dublin.

After that you are depending on the goodwill of a benefactor so to speak, such as Kerry Group in Kerry, Investec in Monaghan.

Not being smart but unless KK is reaching all Ireland finals, then there is limited value to the sponsorship. Particularly as there is no following for the football.

By comparison, Roscommon - with a similar population, and doing pretty well in the football - have not been able to get a sponsor at all in recent years.

Do you know who Wicklows sponsor is ? Or Louths? and yet they have a bigger population than Kilkenny....

Our population is 100,000 as of 2016.

Our record of getting to All Ireland's and winning them is a lot better than Roscommon, Wicklow or Louth at all age levels and as a result the exposure offered is a lot greater than the aforementioned counties. As I said we punch above our weight. I'm not saying we should have a huge deal but It's less than I would expect for the amount of exposure Kilkenny offers a sponsor.
    Your quite right however I have no idea who any of their sponsors are but then again I'm a stereotypical Kilkenny man and have zero interest in Football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I see some counties employ a person and his role is a commercial manager - basically a fundraiser e.g. goes around trying to get sponsors etc. big and small. Another part of the remit is to tap into Gaels in America - big dinners and bringing county players over for a coaching session but all about gathering money in the pot!! I think Roscommon employed somebody recently but on part-time basis to see if it's viable in the longer term. Does Eanna Martin do a job like this for Wexford or what's his role?

He does yes, commercial manager. works on corporate level fundraising and sponsorship. There was an event only last week during the Spiegletent event in Wexford where they had a number of guests on for a talk show type thing. All booths fully sold out and probably was at about 80 to 90% capacity full. Smalle things, but makes a big difference to have another good few thousand to be able to contribute to all the fund raising needed.

A point made later about not taking the eye off underage, by having someone dedicated to such fundraising, means that the rest of the coaching office and other staff etc can do so and not have to worry about that end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭conor05

bruschi wrote: »
    He does yes, commercial manager. works on corporate level fundraising and sponsorship. There was an event only last week during the Spiegletent event in Wexford where they had a number of guests on for a talk show type thing. All booths fully sold out and probably was at about 80 to 90% capacity full. Smalle things, but makes a big difference to have another good few thousand to be able to contribute to all the fund raising needed.

A point made later about not taking the eye off underage, by having someone dedicated to such fundraising, means that the rest of the coaching office and other staff etc can do so and not have to worry about that end of things.

Funding going very well for Wexford since they employed Éanna Martin as Commercial Manager, probably the Davy factor and making a few Leinster finals in last 3-4 years has helped them too.
    Zurich has come on board as Wexford’s new sponsors for the next 4 years too with a pretty impressive sponsorship deal too.

With respect to Wicklow and Louth what could a sponsor gain nationally from sponsoring either county. They are neither competitive at football or hurling (not sure Louth have a hurling team). They might get some local exposure but that would be the height of it.

Kilkenny and Glanbia have worked well together and I would imagine all the hurling teams want for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Joe Henry

The kilkenny supporters club do a lot of fund raising the one in Dublin provides the meal , hotel expenses for matches in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

bruschi wrote: »
    Smalle things, but makes a big difference to have another good few thousand to be able to contribute to all the fund raising needed.

And boy is it needed to keep the sun king and his entourage in the style to which they're accustomed.

• Advertisement

conor05 wrote: »
    Funding going very well for Wexford since they employed Éanna Martin as Commercial Manager, probably the Davy factor and making a few Leinster finals in last 3-4 years has helped them too.
    Zurich has come on board as Wexford’s new sponsors for the next 4 years too with a pretty impressive sponsorship deal too.

With respect to Wicklow and Louth what could a sponsor gain nationally from sponsoring either county. They are neither competitive at football or hurling (not sure Louth have a hurling team). They might get some local exposure but that would be the height of it.

Kilkenny and Glanbia have worked well together and I would imagine all the hurling teams want for nothing.

Maybe a commercial manager is the way to go then. I think once a few more counties do it, it'll be the new craze.

I know a lot of counties have a fund raising arm e.g. Club Éirne and Club Dhoire etc. etc. and these are volunteers, with a bit of business dealings behind them, who get members to sign up and sell tickets at county games etc. Everything helps. They are small in numbers but keep the candy coming in to fund things.

Re; Louth for example they'd have a big enough population in Dundalk and Drogheda but a lot of soccer in them towns but they're a super GAA county although they could do with a better and updated county ground.

Re: Louth also, do counties get any money from the jersies they sell?

Re: Louth also, do counties get any money from the jersies they sell?

Well all I can tell you about is my experience of purchasing the Kilkenny GAA logo rights for a product. I paid a lot of money over 3 years (unfortunately the product was only washing it's face as a result of the high rights cost) I had already made the decision to discontinue the product when I ran into our county treasurer and I asked him did they get much from their rights to their logo/crest being used. He told me the amount of they got that year from all the rights and it was less than I had paid over the three years. While this amount was a lot for my product to absorb, in comparison to the amount of use of the logo on all products the amount they should have been getting should have been a lot more. The Treasurer said some years the amount was virtually nothing. I couldn't believe it and was twice as happy I had decided to discontinue if Kilkenny weren't getting any of the money back.

Kilkenny and a lot of other small counties have handed over the administration of their county Crest/Logo rights to Croke Park. Croke Park check the product and company, they issue the contract and chase up payments, county boards feel they don't have the time and expertise to do this, which I understand. I foolishly thought with this system in place that Kilkenny GAA would get most of the money minus an administrative charge for Croke Park but from talking to our Treasurer at the time that definitely was not the case.

Perhaps there is some deal with the jersey manufacturers, that the county board get free jerseys instead of claiming the amount due to the county board from the use of the crest, this is only a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭big_drive

Could anyone tell me are the intermediate and senior county finals played as a double header?

Looking to travel from cork to see the intermediate final whenever its on, want to get another look at Tommy Walsh as he's my favourite player. Presume he'll play away for another few years yet and won't be retiring soon but it would be a good chance to see what he's like these days

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Neewollah

big_drive wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me are the intermediate and senior county finals played as a double header?

Looking to travel from cork to see the intermediate final whenever its on, want to get another look at Tommy Walsh as he's my favourite player. Presume he'll play away for another few years yet and won't be retiring soon but it would be a good chance to see what he's like these days

Double header on the 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

Double header on the 27th. I think Tommy has played every position bar goalkeeper for his club and is now playing full forward. Has lost a bit of pace but none of his enthusiasm, he was urging on his younger team mates constantly and ended up with 4 points himself. I heard Tommy say once that his father had ended his career at junior level at the age of 48 so he has a few years to go yet. I would love to see him and his club win and to represent Kilkenny in the Leinster club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

Looking ahead to this weekend matches o loughlins i heard are carrying a few knocks after a physical encounter with the vat.I think huw lawlor was visiting a specialist this week.They will need everyone if they are to beat the shamrocks who will improve from here on in.Clara gave them a good rattle but were wasteful in the first half and the shamrocks finished stronger to take the spoils.
    If the junior final is anything like the semi final we should be in for a treat.o loughlins should they win wont be able represent kilkenny in leinster.Conahy will have to be tight at the full back line cause o loughlins full foward line was very dangerous.there is alot of good young players like conor Kelly on there team who will make the step up over the next few years. James bergin is conahys go to man and is very dangerous from both frees and from general play.best of luck to all teams.
    With the club scene nearly over and a reshuffle to our senior set up what players can be brought in to help our senior team?lawlor had a steady year and Browne had his moments.Donnelly had a very good final and looked very lean last weekend.Mullen also had a very good year so we are introducing alot of young players.We really need a few fowards to take the pressure off tj.Hopefully Delaney can nail down a place next year I'd like to see him at six and I'd like tk see darren mullen tried corner back.We'll be down paul murphy for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

brookville wrote: »
    .o loughlins should they win wont be able represent kilkenny in leinster.

Cén fath ? :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭big_drive

greenspurs wrote: »
    Cfath ? :D

Only first choice teams allowed go forward I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Only first choice teams allowed go forward I think

Correct, has to be the clubs first team and also amalgamations are not allowed either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Ballyhale v village final.?

sure hope so. they produce some crackers. & often heated. always enjoy a big rural v city match. Still watch the 96' Gowran win at least once a year. & when the Village & BH play I can't help but remember that headbutt to C. Fennelly by J. Tyrrell. just hoping that I can get either vid or radio for any remaining KK matches. Condolences to BH & the family of young Eugene A. RIP.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement