Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

Too much work in replacements...!

I wouldn’t even go and see a bunch of heifers for sale unless I get to pick. Likewise if there’s a whole herd for sale, and if I’m not the first to choose, I won’t bother going to look.
    Castoffs are a waste of time.

People call here to "pick" too but I make sure to have my best few taken away.

Started buffer feeding the cows with round bales a few days ago. They are some pain now, roaring, unsettled, poorer clean outs. Nearly sorry for giving them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »
    Started buffer feeding the cows with round bales a few days ago. They are some pain now, roaring, unsettled, poorer clean outs. Nearly sorry for giving them anything.

Same, if this rain doesn't hit Sat I might just pull the plug on silage and let them fly through last round then house early Nov. Poor clean outs and loads of standing at the gap isn't gonna help anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would ye get on better if ye went out by day and in by night?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

At itva few weeks here no such issue,but I don’t have big massive covers of grass grazed no higher than 1800 currently 1500 out day/night in before pm milking for silage 2.5 kg dm ,and buffer 2 kg maize beet pulp mix .1.83!kgms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Ours going out today after been in for nearly three weeks now, weather looks decent here for next few days, north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

People call here to "pick" too but I make sure to have my best few taken away.

LLLOOLL!!

That one sentence sums up exactly the difference between Irish and European farmers!!

Could you get away with 2 or 3 different calving periods? 6-8 weeks calving 2 or 3 times a year?

Tried it and failed...

There’s a difference between your system and mine. I treat the dairy like a factory...pump as much milk as possible with the feed and forages available, and the cow goes back in calf when she’s able. When you touch 10k litres average across the herd, fertility is tricky, as is longevity.

LLLOOLL!!

That one sentence sums up exactly the difference between Irish and European farmers!!

Are u going protesting with the Dutch?

Are u going protesting with the Dutch?

Why?

The French farmers were (half heartedly) protesting a week before the Dutch and one of the lads took a tractor to Nantes.

Btw, they’re protesting against ‘agribashing’.
    Agribashing is the constant blaming of agriculture for climate change, pollution, obesity etc etc.
    The Dutch don’t have much grounds...

• Advertisement

Why?

The French farmers were (half heartedly) protesting a week before the Dutch and one of the lads took a tractor to Nantes.

Btw, they’re protesting against ‘agribashing’.
    Agribashing is the constant blaming of agriculture for climate change, pollution, obesity etc etc.
    The Dutch don’t have much grounds...

The news said the French and Belgians were joining them in protest.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    At itva few weeks here no such issue,but I don’t have big massive covers of grass grazed no higher than 1800 currently 1500 out day/night in before pm milking for silage 2.5 kg dm ,and buffer 2 kg maize beet pulp mix .1.83!kgms

Mine seem happier today. Just going to take a few days for them to adjust maybe. At least they are moving faster in and out to milking now. I've a couple of cnuts here that love roaring and being a nuisance. They don't seem to be great milkers either and like to just fatten up instead. My cull list is coming along nicely. Have 24% heifers coming in so there is a lot of bitches on thin ice now. Just looking for an excuse to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mine seem happier today. Just going to take a few days for them to adjust maybe. At least they are moving faster in and out to milking now. I've a couple of cnuts here that love roaring and being a nuisance. They don't seem to be great milkers either and like to just fatten up instead. My cull list is coming along nicely. Have 24% heifers coming in so there is a lot of bitches on thin ice now. Just looking for an excuse to get rid of them.

Any idea of cull prices atm? My tolerance level is diminishing by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea of cull prices atm? My tolerance level is diminishing by the day

Some Friesians sold in Ballyjamesduff on Tuesday
    2014 610kgs €590
    15 710 650
    08. 660. 600
    10. 700. 575
    10. 570. 360
    13. 660. 600

tanko wrote: »
    Some Friesians sold in Ballyjamesduff on Tuesday
    2014 610kgs €590
    15 710 650
    08. 660. 600
    10. 700. 575
    10. 570. 360
    13. 660. 600

Heavy cows not even making their weight

No sorry get off, this isn't a self feeding pit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting to note that the dairy pic being used by IFJ for their Dairy Day, on the back of the paper this week, has lovely reds and friesians. Similarily the farm to be visited during the Macra rally are a large herd of Norwegian Red crosses, page 6 pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just had my highest protein % at 4.24, bf at 4.74 have had higher other years but bf has dropped for me the last 2 years I think. Still doing 1.6kg solids at 4kg meal and grass, will be going in in the next few days as I've prob done too much damage to ground the last 48 hours and am out of good ground on the farm. The amount of rain falling in prolonged showers is unreal. The sun shining in between would make you think it's not too bad till you see the water in the fields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Hot our maize tested today.
    In the pit 2 weeks
    32% dm
    34% starch
    9% protein
    3.8 ph

Its good stuff. Feeding 4 kg per hd to cows atm

Best of my silage is 2nd cut bales at 78 dmd and 18% protein, should have enough good fodder to feed between the maize and that silage when cows arent at grass for the last few weeks before dry off and any days they wont be grazing in the spring.
    Pit of Dry cow silage tested at 70 dmd and 28% dm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

In the pit 2 weeks
    32% dm
    34% starch
    9% protein
    3.8 ph

Best of my silage is 2nd cut bales at 78 dmd and 18% protein, should have enough good fodder to feed between the maize and that silage when cows arent at grass for the last few weeks before dry off and any days they wont be grazing in the spring.

Great quality maize ,great stuff to buffer at grass

Can you just throw it along the feed barrier or do u need to mix it

Can you just throw it along the feed barrier or do u need to mix it

I'm putting it through a feeder because we have one but if you knew what your loader bucket held you could just put it out with it. We try to use it at grass, saves buying a higher protein nut to balance it

Ye cows gone fierce content. Went up a litre but solids dropped back from 5.54 bf to 4 92 bf and 4.45 pr to 4.32 p

Itll help BCS though with the rotten weather that's been and they'll be in good condition at dry off

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye cows gone fierce content. Went up a litre but solids dropped back from 5.54 bf to 4 92 bf and 4.45 pr to 4.32 p

Itll help BCS though with the rotten weather that's been and they'll be in good condition at dry off

My parents were down your area yesterday, they said they had to stop driving the rain was that bad

In the pit 2 weeks
    32% dm
    34% starch
    9% protein
    3.8 ph

Fair dues. Under plastic?

Those forages will support about 24L milk production without any meal.

Are you feeding 4kgDm of maize or 4kg whole?

whelan2 wrote: »
    My parents were down your area yesterday, they said they had to stop driving the rain was that bad

Yeah I had a dg here today some of them got very heavy rain that we didnt get here. Was a torrential shower at 3.30 that made the cows decide they wanted to come back to the yard, saved me walking them in any way!

Fair dues. Under plastic?

Those forages will support about 24L milk production without any meal.

Are you feeding 4kgDm of maize or 4kg whole?
    Yeah, grown by my silage contractor.
    4kg DM, 2 kg nuts in parlour. Cows doing 15.5l
    Was allowing it to be 30% dm before I got it tested. Seriously sweet smelling stuff, can smell it across the yard when a fresh grab has been taken out from it.

Dawg I only heard of one crop of maize not sown under plastic here this year, and it totally failed and was ploughed back into the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

I'm putting it through a feeder because we have one but if you knew what your loader bucket held you could just put it out with it. We try to use it at grass, saves buying a higher protein nut to balance it

How long after cutting till feeding. Was told 3 wks if possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement