Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2019, 21:29   #1
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Anyone else enjoy being single?

So, I'm a little into my thirties now and still single. What I didn't expect was to actually be enjoying it. I'm able to pretty much do as I please. I can pursue my own interests, travel when and where I want and do sod all when I want.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to meeting someone but I figure I should try and enjoy single life while it lasts.
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 21:43   #2
voldejoie

I love being single.

Like you said OP, I'm open to meeting someone and settling down, and I know there are upsides to having someone to share certain parts of life with, but I also wouldn't mind being single forever. There's a certain freedom to it I love, even just the fact that I don't have to consider someone else when making decisions about my life (e.g. I will have an opportunity to move far away for work for a few years soon and I don't have to factor in another person's reaction to that and what it means for our future, I get to decide what is best for my own career and personal development).
(3) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 21:51   #4
SCOOP 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
So, I'm a little into my thirties now and still single. What I didn't expect was to actually be enjoying it. I'm able to pretty much do as I please. I can pursue my own interests, travel when and where I want and do sod all when I want.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to meeting someone but I figure I should try and enjoy single life while it lasts.

O'shut up you, im married!
(4) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 21:53   #5
SusieBlue

I’ve been single for about 9 months after coming out of an extremely toxic LTR and I also love it.

It was a tough adjustment in the beginning but now that I’m used to being able to be selfish with my time, I’m very picky about who I invest it in.

After spending so long watching what I say, being told how to dress, not being able to see my friends, and living in what turned into a very hostile environment, I love the freedom of being able to do what I want when I want.
I only have myself to keep happy and I’m doing a pretty good job of it.

I am dabbling in dating and I would like to meet someone and settle down eventually but for now I’m quite content with being on my own.
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 21:53   #6
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Good question AC... Hmmm, kinda six of one, half dozen of the other for me. I've loved been in a good relationship, grew to hate being in a bad one. Been happy out single too. It depends. I do remember with one ex we temporarily split up and on the one hand I was all forlorn and bereft conjuring bad poetry while looking into a gale, and on the other hand a large part of me exhaled and relaxed as I was no longer dealing with her all too regular emotionals. The forlorn part won the battle temporarily as the "love" bit was still running strong, but after a reconciliation the relaxed part won the war(though the love bit kept niggling for a while, more built on the fantasy of all that).

I certainly did find down the years that where once I was much more open and engaging with the emotional ups and downs, as I got older that got really bloody old really bloody quickly.
02-04-2019, 21:53   #7
mada82

Deffo. Single a year now and if you talked to me then I thought it was going to be the end of the world.

The only downside is it can hard to have mates available as they are all married with kids.
(4) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 21:54   #8
is_that_so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post

Thirties (and beyond) is where you care less about the things that you felt you "had" to do in your twenties. It is far more chilled. Enjoy.
02-04-2019, 21:58   #9
Signore Fancy Pants
Psst...Wana See My Banana?

Im married and can do pretty much whatever I want.
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 22:19   #10
AllForIt

To me it's an odd question (don't mean that as a insult to the OP). It's the default position to be single. How anyone feel's worse off for the default position to me is just strange. In fact the very idea of 'enjoying being single' does't make much sense. To me it's like saying I enjoy having feet which I suppose I do but don't wake up in morning and thing gee wizz I'm really looking forward to another day with my feet.

I understand from reading posts on the Personal Issues forum that some ppl are desperate to be in a relationship and feel bad they are not. I've never felt this way myself and I don't feel like I'm the oddity for being happy with the default position. I've had 2 serious relationships in my llife, one I truly regret ended and indeed miss. But although I regret and miss this is not the same as saying I wish I were back in a relationships just for a relationships sake.

So although I'm not sad or desperate to be in a relation I wouldn't say I'm happy being single either, neither unhappy. I'm just single, that's it. And I do detest this notion that one can't be happy unless on is in a relationship. As long as your getting the ride somehow that is
02-04-2019, 22:23   #11
TomasMacR
Banned

pro's and cons to both, simple as that, it's very liberating to have the freedom to do whatever you want to do whenever you want and some people are very comfortable in their own skin and being on their own. And then it's always nice to share good times with someone, whether its travel, a night out, family occasion and we all need companionship, its just human nature...we do need it but some of us are incapable of it no matter how much we crave it for lots of different reasons.
(3) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 22:26   #12
freshpopcorn

02-04-2019, 22:27   #13
pumpkin4life

Well it depends.

I've seen a lot of people do this in an effort to rationalize away the fact that they're unattractive.

I'm not single, and its way better than being single tbh.

If that's not you, then ok. If it is, then you need to come up with a plan.

Last edited by pumpkin4life; 02-04-2019 at 22:32.
(5) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 22:27   #14
BBFAN

Nope, sorry OP, I know it's untrendy to admit but I don't enjoy being single.

I've previously ended a relationship I never should have because I thought there was better out there.

There wasn't and it's tough being on your own.

Maybe it's your age that protects you from it. Yes, I've travelled the world on my own but as I get older it worries me. "what the hell if something happens to me and no-one even realises?".

It could be because I just had a disastrous holiday when I really really wanted someone to be with me that's affecting my thinking but that's the way I feel right now.

I'd like to have someone who's number one priority is me. That's the way I feel right now.
02-04-2019, 22:27   #15
buried

Yes. Yes I do enjoy it. Would like to be with someone but the rural area I live in its difficult to get any sort of new relationship going. I love living out in the wild countryside but at the same time I also like listening to electronic music that sounds like a drone computer is eating/$hitting itself alive, I love to read books about the history of the world that concerns the most weird and darkest occult aspects of it. That's my craic. But that sort of craic don't exactly fly if you go out on a first date here and a lady asks ya - "So, what sort of stuff are you into?"
Unless you enjoy listening to Nathan Carter and watching 'Dancing with the Canteen staff of RTE' out here, prepare to enjoy being single. And as long as I can listen to the sounds of a computer $hitting itself alive, those sounds turned up to 11 at 1am of a Friday night, then get up the next morning spending the day reading about the history of witchcraft drinking coffee and eating a rasher sandwich, I'm going to continue to enjoy the Hell out of it.

Last edited by buried; 02-04-2019 at 22:30.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion