Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I see ITV are after paying a reported million for the Oprah interview of Harry and Meghan...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0303/1200546-duchess-of-sussex-saddened-by-bullying-claim/

I then see RTE2 are showing the interview on Monday night at 9.30, please tell me RTE didn't blow similar money for that trash?

Smaller audience here so probably costs way less. Anybody who wants to see it bad enough would get it on ITV first. The only person I know who hasn't ITV is my mother and I doubt she'll be watching it on RTE either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

sligojoek wrote: »
    Smaller audience here so probably costs way less. Anybody who wants to see it bad enough would get it on ITV first. The only person I know who hasn't ITV is my mother and I doubt she'll be watching it on RTE either.

Yeah, but it's Oprah. She's not one to charge small change.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody with virgin media in dublin doesn't have the regular ITV channel. They only get ITV3 and ITV4. I doubt they spent that much money to show it on ITV3 alongside the repeats of emmerdale from 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Few bits circulating on social media this morn with details about one of Rtes radio lads. Suggests he was mad into young ones and looks like abuse might be alleged if they're not 18

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They'd have paid based on a scale associated with the size of their potential audience.
    It isn't public service broadscasting so they should not be buying it but bought it to prevent the commercial broadcasters taking it.
    it is the sort of thing they do(or I remember them doing) like buying primetime US series and burning them off during the night after primetime just to stop the commercial stations getting a hold on them and using them as a base around which to build an evening's programming.

So I have a huge issue with the amount of imports that RTÉ buy. And that they have not cut this budget in the last ten years. However. ....

TG4 buys in 3m worth of imports from the US, some very good shows over the years such as Mr. Robot and Fargo.

There is no doubt in my mind that if TG4 could buy these shows that Virgin Media would also have access to them. Indeed Channel 6 was well capable of buying in new exclusive shows when it began.

Virgin Media are ITV light and have no interest in other programmes. They don't even seem to have any interest in many ITV programmes that are not ITV Studio programmes.

There statement on the loss of champions league should prove that to you. "GAA championships the summer does really suit us" FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

fritzelly wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been cheap but no where near the figure ITV paid for something that would be more popular there and with a bigger audience

Very cheap, way way way less than anyone would think. Having said that I don't know why its in the RTÉ schedule. Can't see many tuning in.

TheBlock wrote: »
    Very cheap, way way way less than anyone would think. Having said that I don't know why its in the RTÉ schedule. Can't see many tuning in.

How cheap? €2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Few bits circulating on social media this morn with details about one of Rtes radio lads. Suggests he was mad into young ones and looks like abuse might be alleged if they're not 18

Is it the 2fm celeb who quit this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anybody with virgin media in dublin doesn't have the regular ITV channel. They only get ITV3 and ITV4. I doubt they spent that much money to show it on ITV3 alongside the repeats of emmerdale from 10 years ago.

It's free to air on satellite. I will never figure out why people pay Sky or Virgin Media to watch channels which are free on Saorview and Freesat.

Life ain't always empty.

Elmo wrote: »
    So I have a huge issue with the amount of imports that RTÉ buy. And that they have not cut this budget in the last ten years. However. ....

TG4 buys in 3m worth of imports from the US, some very good shows over the years such as Mr. Robot and Fargo.

There is no doubt in my mind that if TG4 could buy these shows that Virgin Media would also have access to them. Indeed Channel 6 was well capable of buying in new exclusive shows when it began.

Virgin Media are ITV light and have no interest in other programmes. They don't even seem to have any interest in many ITV programmes that are not ITV Studio programmes.

There statement on the loss of champions league should prove that to you. "GAA championships the summer does really suit us" FFS.
    I'm referring to a time before Virgin.
    RTE was buying series and broadcasting them in to oblivion after 23:00.
    These weren't shows that had been cancelled.
    They also did a fair bit of buying shows after they'd been cancelled and the storyline left up in the air when the American network pulled the plug.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    Is it the 2fm celeb who quit this week.

Yes and it amazing to see how the press have spun it. One story about his rise to 2fm and others asking who will replace him.

I'm referring to a time before Virgin.
    RTE was buying series and broadcasting them in to oblivion after 23:00.
    These weren't shows that had been cancelled.
    They also did a fair bit of buying shows after they'd been cancelled and the storyline left up in the air when the American network pulled the plug.

True parts of packages they buy in, a few series they broadcast in full when the US broadcaster dropped them after 3 episodes. TBH it hasn't changed.

But TV3 were still ITV light and also had canwest's fireworks for US programmes. And TG4 and channel 6 still managed to pick up rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

Why do Rte need to be buying foreign imports in when they are struggling financially. Surely enough stations cover this now. Rte imo needs hugh cutbacks. One station and be focused on home grown programs. Also more people should be given a chance instead of the same people given shows that are in general very poor. They have a new panel show that is terrible with the same crew. Des Bishop is given shows continually that are just shocking. There is talent out their but rarely given a chance. Rte is just on big overloaded gravy train that is not fit for purpose. A 50 flat fee that everyone pays (ways of doing that). If they cant survive on that well so be it. The more money they get off the tax payer the more they over staff and the more they make sub standard programs that people don't want to watch.

Why do Rte need to be buying foreign imports in when they are struggling financially. Surely enough stations cover this now. Rte imo needs hugh cutbacks. One station and be focused on home grown programs. Also more people should be given a chance instead of the same people given shows that are in general very poor. They have a new panel show that is terrible with the same crew. Des Bishop is given shows continually that are just shocking. There is talent out their but rarely given a chance. Rte is just on big overloaded gravy train that is not fit for purpose. A 50 flat fee that everyone pays (ways of doing that). If they cant survive on that well so be it. The more money they get off the tax payer the more they over staff and the more they make sub standard programs that people don't want to watch.

foreign imports are cheaper than producing their own shows.

foreign imports are cheaper than producing their own shows based on their cost base. There is a difference.
    According to the secret producer it is a place where restrictive practices and deadweight abounds.
    You'd expect them to have a late night chat/entertainment show to bring people back to the channel in the morning but that appears to be a golden rule of TV which RTE don't follow.

This is my take on American, English and Austrailian imports:-

1. RTÉ buy in too many hours for 2.5 channels (I include RTÉjr)
    2. RTÉ have never cut their spend on imports, even though they stated they would examine all costs.
    3. While cheaper to buy in the 25m spend does actually provide value
    4. As pointed out most will appear in late night hours of RTÉ2 and RTÉONE or on the Player with little or no promotion.
    5. RTÉ believe that they have to fill their schedules (Willie O'Reilly Twitter account) and the only way to do this is to buy in imports.
    6. However those imports could produce 2 extra channels and be repeated late night or even give RTÉ2 and ONE a 100% repeat free prime time.
    7. Take TG4 while heavy on repeats possibly as heavy as RTÉ2, yet it is able to spend a fraction of RTÉ2's spend on imports (this includes all of the animation which it dubs into Irish), and fill its schedule as well as RTÉ do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

foreign imports are cheaper than producing their own shows based on their cost base. There is a difference.
    According to the secret producer it is a place where restrictive practices and deadweight abounds.
    You'd expect them to have a late night chat/entertainment show to bring people back to the channel in the morning but that appears to be a golden rule of TV which RTE don't follow.

If RTE had an eye for talent/success they'd be able to buy the rights to TV shows for relativity cheap before the shows became popular. TG4 are a great example of just that, they were airing many great shows before they had popular appeal.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

Well if they are what is the point of rte. Foreign imports are available elsewhere so rte should not being spending tax payers money to buy them. Rte should be about home grown programs etc. We do not need foreign imports they are provided elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maysa07 wrote: »

Did you check the date of that report? No rush here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I can't even remember the last US show I followed on RTE, it was probably the sopranos and the first few seasons of madmen until they started screwing around with the scheduling.
    While TG 4 has mr robot and the new series of fargo at the moment.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I didn't know that. I have it for years on FTA platform. I thought it was free with all packages.

Well if they are what is the point of rte. Foreign imports are available elsewhere so rte should not being spending tax payers money to buy them. Rte should be about home grown programs etc. We do not need foreign imports they are provided elsewhere.

if they were to rely solely on home produced shows it would cost even more to run RTE and you would just be complaining about that instead.

I didn't know that. I have it for years on FTA platform. I thought it was free with all packages.

ITV disappeared a couple of years ago for Virgin Media users. I think it was still NTL when that channel disappered.

if they were to rely solely on home produced shows it would cost even more to run RTE and you would just be complaining about that instead.

Yes, if they planned to produce 11,000 hours of TV something that they don't need.

Imports have some value but the amount that RTÉ buys in is way beyond their need.
    ITV disappeared a couple of years ago for Virgin Media users. I think it was still NTL when that channel disappered.

ITV channels were on and off NTL and UPC, there was a point where NTL only had ITV3 and then it was drop, then they had all 3 extra channels, then they drop UTV because of UTV Ireland as UPC maybe as Virgin Media, then ITV2 was dropped because Virgin Media had the rights to many of its shows, well Love Island.

Elmo wrote: »
    Yes, if they planned to produce 11,000 hours of TV something that they don't need.

Imports have some value but the amount that RTÉ buys in is way beyond their need.

they have X number of hours to fill every day. Doing it with imports is cheaper. On a thread complaining about the licence fee it is odd that some are advocating for more more expensive home produced shows.

So perhaps I am wrong but it really seems as if 2FM's new schedule really failed, here you have a big news story about one of their main stars and I get the impression very few people actually know who he is. Unless your following his wokeness or unless your interested in the media, everyone else seems to be going who is this guy?

they have X number of hours to fill every day. Doing it with imports is cheaper. On a thread complaining about the licence fee it is odd that some are advocating for more more expensive home produced shows.
    I direct you back to my comments about restrictive practices and waste in RTE.
    Home produced content could be produced cheaper if not for RTE and its ingrained profligacy.

Your right they do have X number of hours to fill.

RTÉ ONE fills their prime time with 25% repeats and RTÉ2 fills it with 50% repeats. While Early morning on both is filled with Euronews.

They buy in 30 hours per day of content, most of which ends up on late night TV and is barely promoted.

If they utilized all this content they I might agree, but they don't. They have never even cut the cost of this content unlike home produced content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

They shouldnt need to be looking to fill in "x" number of hours for the sake of it.

Get rid of RTE2 and 2fm.....

Number of hours to fill in... reduced automatically...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement