Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why can't 2fm make a profit? There content is nothing special just top 30 on repeat while small local stations on a shoestring budget can do do live sport and genuine public service broadcasting.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    They choose to cut funding to both Comedy and Drama, along with Children's Content. They choose to ringfence funding to imported programming and 2FM (resulting in 2FM getting a portion of the licence fee since 2011).

A quote from the re-brand of 2fm

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-2fm-rebrands-for-era-of-visual-radio-1.2539857

The whole article is marketing taken from the book of Wall Street (The Film).

Or as I like to say 2fm "thick as a plank".

8 years and no sign of profit or breakeven. Culminating in one of their stars leaving for some unknown known reason and to which most people regardless of age asking "Who?".

Indeed, and nobody sent a 'best of luck to ya' message either.

I don't listen to radio, or RTE. Saw some folks discussing the Brendan O' connor show and how he ignored pretty much every major headline, then Stephanie Preissner came on with the usual spin.

MAkes you realise RTE is just a spin-doctor now, trying not to offend anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't listen to radio, or RTE. Saw some folks discussing the Brendan O' connor show and how he ignored pretty much every major headline, then Stephanie Preissner came on with the usual spin.
    So the Sindo has its own show in RTE now? Remember O'Connor bawling on Turbidy's "new year" show a few years ago after he took his own property investment advice.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

RTE as an entity is rapidly losing credibility. Beginning of the end for them. To me, they seem to be part of the government coalition and have been with quite a while. A creative dead end in terms of writing drama. Absurd wages......They offer feck all to the taxpayer. The only thing that might save them is FFGs loyalty to them assuming they continue in power.
    I wouldn't mind but if they only had a look online at the Young creative minds they could take their pick of.

However a friend of mine was snapped up by them after gaining a bit of notoriety for his comedy. When attempting to produce content for them, he was censured to the point that he pulled out of the project so as not to competely compromise all artistic integrity.

They are the biggest group of old, fuddy-duddy footshooters imaginable. They need to go in the bin with the HSE. Too far gone. Funny thing is their traditional audience is no longer viable as a long-term strategy for profitability (elderly people etc) and the younger groups are never going to pay the TV licence because although it's "part of the terms and conditions of living in Ireland" as the ad goes, there is no content on RTÉ that they deem worth paying for. You're just not going to force them to pay unless there are Gardaí breaking down doors, and even then I can't see widespread compliance.

I wouldn't mind but if they only had a look online at the Young creative minds they could take their pick of.

However a friend of mine was snapped up by them after gaining a bit of notoriety for his comedy. When attempting to produce content for them, he was censured to the point that he pulled out of the project so as not to competely compromise all artistic integrity.

They are the biggest group of old, fuddy-duddy footshooters imaginable. They need to go in the bin with the HSE. Too far gone.

Did they want him to shoehorn in Amy Huberman? Or Allison Spittle?

RTE pretty much can't do comedy-they've failed, time and time again. The last time they tried (The Center with Katherine Lynch) they ended up offending the LGBTQ+ community.

Just idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jmcc wrote: »
    Remember O'Connor bawling on Turbidy's "new year" show a few years ago after he took his own property investment advice.

No reason to cry now, when he is one of RTEs top earners.
    Should be able to cover any of his property losses in a short space of time.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No reason to cry now, when he is one of RTEs top earners.
    Ironically O'Connor's Saturday night TV show was doing better in the ratings than Tubridy's LLS borefest ao RTE naturally cancelled it.

Regards...jmcc

Ironically O'Connor's Saturday night TV show was doing better in the ratings than Tubridy's LLS borefest ao RTE naturally cancelled it.

Regards...jmcc

His follow up 'chat show' sort of fell apart... tho it possibly led to Tommy Tiernan getting a solid gig.

Dancing with the Stars is also doing better than the LLS. Scores 100, 000 viewers more, on average.

Tho RTE are now using that as a carrot to get more money out of the taxpayers.

Kinda bit them in the butt tho, because pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

RTÉ won't screen old black and white movies any more because they're too white but not black enough.

His follow up 'chat show' sort of fell apart... tho it possibly led to Tommy Tiernan getting a solid gig.

Dancing with the Stars is also doing better than the LLS. Scores 100, 000 viewers more, on average.

Tho RTE are now using that as a carrot to get more money out of the taxpayers.

Kinda bit them in the butt tho, because pandemic.
    Don't forget the mess they made of putting that overpaid mannequin Darcy on a TV chat show.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Don't forget the mess they made of putting that overpaid mannequin Darcy on a TV chat show.

Regards...jmcc

One of Dee Forbes greatest examples of 'I have no idea what I'm doing'.

One of Dee Forbes greatest examples of 'I have no idea what I'm doing'.
    Things got so bad that even the camera operators couldn't watch the shows. :) Even then they wouldn't admit to having cancelled the show. He was, I think, just off for an extended break.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

So the Sindo has its own show in RTE now? Remember O'Connor bawling on Turbidy's "new year" show a few years ago after he took his own property investment advice.

Regards...jmcc

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20070728/282166466782441
    "There is no such thing as a good or a bad time to buy. It's always a good time to buy"

****ing LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To me RTÉ is set up so that the DG believes that they are running a large organization with so many hands that they have no time to look at each single strand and that their executive board members are so busy and also dealing with so many strands that their hands are tied up, meaning that they too cannot look at the major problems that exist within the organisation.

There is nobody looking at the bigger picture. Schedules are with the scheduling department, the player is there with the technology department, acquisitions sit within the co-production department and each are a law unto themselves.

The DG is never going to ask, why do we buy in this show? why is this show put on at this time? who commissioned this programme? why did this show not get this audience? why are we head hunting this presenter? why has 2fm failed to get back to self-sufficiency? and so on.

Because lets face it she or he is there to over see a massive organization, and those that report to him or her will never be asked hard questions.

To me Dee Forbes believes that RTÉ give value for money, that everyone in RTÉ is very busy on various different projects.

The Board and Executive board seem to take no interest in the radio stations or TV channels, let alone the player or content. Content is only praised nothing critical can be said of the Firm.

What makes it so depressing is that almost all of the Executive Board are relatively new to their jobs.

I was surprised that Jon Williams didn't tweet about the unwarranted criticism of Six One by Liam Fay in the Sunday Times, but he was too busy defending the decision to broadcast that interview.... while forgetting that he either decided not to air BBC Newsnight's interview with Britain's Prince Andrew ... or he just did think of broadcasting it at all (I go with the later). I wonder which was the more important interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Yesterday, John Creedon came to Letterfrack, Co. Galway for his tv programme to speak about its history. Who did they interview? Local historian? Local celebrity? Local archaeologist?

No.

Joseph O'Connor, Dubliner and RTE luvvie with zero connection with the area. Not one local person interviewed or consulted, let Dubliner Joe speak for us. Typical RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Yesterday, John Creedon came to Letterfrack, Co. Galway for his tv programme to speak about its history. Who did they interview? Local historian? Local celebrity? Local archaeologist?

No.

Joseph O'Connor, Dubliner and RTE luvvie with zero connection with the area. Not one local person interviewed or consulted, let Dubliner Joe speak for us. Typical RTE.

Thats it, I like John but do they have to go to the same old faces time after time. Every town and city is full of local articulate characters but no they have to pick from the same old boring list.. I see luke o neill and mary mcevoy are another 2 he'll be talking to. Same old faces over and over again

Thats it, I like John but do they have to go to the same old faces time after time. Every town and city is full of local articulate characters but no they have to pick from the same old boring list.. I see luke o neill and mary mcevoy are another 2 he'll be talking to. Same old faces over and over again

Mary McEvoy was on last night, she in fairness is/was a local farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The only thing worth funding from the taxpayer is TG4 and 1 radio station. The reality is RTE don't offer anything you can't get elsewhere and likely done better. The only reasons for public funded broadcasting is,

1 to have unbiased and balanced news and political coverage which RTE certainly don't provide and 2nd to promote Irish culture. again they are failing on that as well, lost big portions of our national games to Sky, little or no original series promoting Irish talent. It's absurd for RTE to be paying for US and British imports which are already available on other channels or online. As for the radio, again we don't need 2fm playing top 40 when we have Spotify etc.

To add insult to injury all the money they get and can't even get a functioning RTE Player up and running, it's just not acceptable. Sell off RTE 2 and 2fm, reduce presenters salaries, if they don't like it tough, they are welcome to flog themselves on the open market, I guarentee nobody is paying Tubbs, Darcy, Duffy etc what they are on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And let it run for what, 3 years knowing it was an epic fail after the first few shows.

That show did however have one pure gold moment - Darcy being called a wanker live on air:D

RTE constantly fail to read the room. As was mentioned up-thread, they seem to be courting the younger audience which are a group that don't give a toss about RTE and will most likely never pay a TV licence.
    By going after this group, they are alienating the people that do engage with RTE more.

An example of this was seen a few years ago with the last presidential election.
    They were astounded by the Peter Casey vote. They were astounded by the reaction and amount of complaints following the 'Lets shaft Casey LL show'

Did they - read the room?
    Did they say - 'Jaysus, maybe not everyone thinks like us in leafy D4?
    Did they say - 'We might need to rethink our strategy here?

Did they ****. Nope too busy playing to the woke PC crew that don't care about them.

When they rearranged the deckchairs in Radio 1 they thought - 'Okay, we've had one presenter on Drivetime and as we're on a cost cutting drive, lets have two presenters on DT. Brilliant move!'

Morning Ireland - How many people does it take. 2 editors, a series editor, numerous presenters and reporters for a two hour show. Insanity!

It's gross mismanagement and professional incompetence at its best.

The party days are over lads. Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

I'd love to see TG4 make a secondary sister english language based TV station and and call it TG Sassenach and they most definitely would do a better job than the trash churned out from Montrose.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

When was D’Arcy called a wanker on air? Any video of this? Would love to see that.

He did give us one good moment though, when he had Joe Duffy on and Joe was giving it his full on “I’m just a man of the people, salt of the earth working class man with a working class work ethic” act and D’Arcy chimed in with

“But you’re not working class anymore”

The growl on Duffy’s face was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

When was D’Arcy called a wanker on air? Any video of this? Would love to see that.

He did give us one good moment though, when he had Joe Duffy on and Joe was giving it his full on “I’m just a man of the people, salt of the earth working class man with a working class work ethic” act and D’Arcy chimed in with

“But you’re not working class anymore”

The growl on Duffy’s face was priceless.

It was when they cut to a Fr Ted appreciation night (piss up) live over in the west and a guy piped up in the background 'Darcy, you're a wanker'. Funnily enough, they moved on PDQ.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    An example of this was seen a few years ago with the last presidential election.
    They were astounded by the Peter Casey vote. They were astounded by the reaction and amount of complaints following the 'Lets shaft Casey LL show'

Did they - read the room?
    Did they say - 'Jaysus, maybe not everyone thinks like us in leafy D4?
    Did they say - 'We might need to rethink our strategy here?

Did they ****. Nope too busy playing to the woke PC crew that don't care about them.
    RTE care more about what the Wokus Dei gang think than people who pay the licence fee. The presidential election showed how massively out of touch RTE were with public sentiment. It still is and, unless funding is cut, It will keep wasting money.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Theworldisy

I would love to know how much it costs rte to produce news in general. For example six one news you seem to have correspondents in everything. People outside any amount of buildings to explain something that doesn't really most of the times need any more explaining. George Lee is the science correspondent. Last time i checked his background is in business. They have many business correspondents. Sport could easily be done by the main presenter but not have someone to read that. For a business that is struggling and continually looking for funding off the government they don't seem to know how to cut back.

Rte needs to be told start saving. It's not rocket science. They produce so much stuff that people don't want to watch. They have way so many staff on inflated salaries. There is no need for two stations. They should be focusing on home grown talent more. By that i mean new talent that surely is out there. Not the same faces who are constantly given gigs eg Des Bishop, The cast from the panel show, Amy Humerman. The list go's on. 50 eur where everyone pays how they do that is another thing. Maybe tax or out of social welfare. After that make cuts and survive on your own. Rte is not fit for purpose it produces alot of stuff expensively that is sub standard and is a complete waste of tax payer's money. Its been a gravy train for too long.

I would love to know how much it costs rte to produce news in general. For example six one news you seem to have correspondents in everything. People outside any amount of buildings to explain something that doesn't really most of the times need any more explaining. George Lee is the science correspondent. Last time i checked his background is in business. They have many business correspondents. Sport could easily be done by the main presenter but not have someone to read that. For a business that is struggling and continually looking for funding off the government they don't seem to know how to cut back.

Rte needs to be told start saving. It's not rocket science. They produce so much stuff that people don't want to watch. They have way so many staff on inflated salaries. There is no need for two stations. They should be focusing on home grown talent more. By that i mean new talent that surely is out there. Not the same faces who are constantly given gigs eg Des Bishop, The cast from the panel show, Amy Humerman. The list go's on. 50 eur where everyone pays how they do that is another thing. Maybe tax or out of social welfare. After that make cuts and survive on your own. Rte is not fit for purpose it produces alot of stuff expensively that is sub standard and is a complete waste of tax payer's money. Its been a gravy train for too long.

They do news very well, it's their (one) strength. RTE One, I only watch for the news. The rest is dross. Right now on RTE One is Dr Phil. :rolleyes:

RTE Radio One is very good for news also. Joe Duffy on 450k is an absolute joke and D4bes should be asked about it every time she goes asking for more money. Ray Darcy following on similar money is another joke.

Do the numbers, 2800 people have to pay their TV License just to fund Joe Duffy's 75 minute slot 5 days a week.

The things they do badly:
    • Importing US Repeats that we have all seen already on other channels
    • Importing new US hits but putting them on at strange hours
    • Having News on RTE 2
    • Interrupting movies on RTE 2 with the aforementioned RTE 2 news
    • In the modern age of spotify, youtube, deezer, Apple music, Amazon Music, there is nolonger a need for 2fm.

• Having News on RTE 2
    • In the modern age of spotify, youtube, deezer, Apple music, Amazon Music, there is nolonger a need for 2fm.

Not having news on RTÉ2?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They do news very well, it's their (one) strength. RTE One, I only watch for the news. The rest is dross. Right now on RTE One is Dr Phil. :rolleyes:

RTE Radio One is very good for news also. Joe Duffy on 450k is an absolute joke and D4bes should be asked about it every time she goes asking for more money. Ray Darcy following on similar money is another joke.

Do the numbers, 2800 people have to pay their TV License just to fund Joe Duffy's 75 minute slot 5 days a week.

• Having News on RTE 2

Over 100,000 people a day would disagree with you. there is more to a record station than just playing records.

Over 100,000 people a day would disagree with you. there is more to a record station than just playing records.
    I'd agree to a certain extent if it was serving a public service role but it is not and 100000 isn't enough to support the costs of that radio station with its current cost structure.

100 000 a day? That's not good.

On TV, 100,000 viewers would get the average RTE show axed. Even RTE 2 would axe a show with 100,000 viewers.
    A county radio station, with a far smaller audience and far smaller reach, gets 100,000 listenership.

2fm is meant to be country wide. That small an audience is rather...pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Tubbs and Darcy would be on the dole if they didn't have jobs in RTE. Darcy is especially bad but so is Tommy Tiernan imo. Not 1 of them knows how to do an interview. Terrible guests, cringe questions and awkward silences all round.

Maybe the solution is to put all 3 of them on 1 show and give them 1/3rd of their current salaries and even then they would be overpaid.

Jesus the Brits are refusing to pay their TV license in droves for the far superior BBC. What hope as RTE got.

Advertisement