Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

That's easier said than done in a lot of cases. Especially in my case as she didn't like me (I mean prior to that), and she didn't even speak English that well.

I'm shocked she didn't like you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Did someone in HR say that?

No there was no on-site HR that was coming from the supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wow, masculinity is a touchy subject for you!

It really isn’t. As I said, I have’t worried about it since my teens.

You, on the other hand, both brought it up and seem a bit hung up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wow, masculinity is a touchy subject for you!

Jeez, let it go. You raised the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not everyone is able for grunt work, in our warehouse we've had lads like the OP who just aren't strong enough to do the job.

Maybe some time in the gym would build up a bit of muscle for him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Not everyone is able for grunt work, in our warehouse we've had lads like the OP who just aren't strong enough to do the job.
    You don't get it! Whether you're strong enough or not, you are still going to be more tired after doing it repetitively all day, when compared to the non lifting work. Why bother? Why not just take the easier option?

There are plenty of times in life when you will have to take the harder option, but I don't know if this is one of them. It'd be different if I thought I was going to be there for the rest of my life!! But it if makes you feel like a tough guy, then knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

and she didn't even speak English that well.
    you should throw away the spade , the hole your digging is deep enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You don't get it! Whether you're strong enough or not, you are still going to be more tired after doing it repetitively all day, when compared to the non lifting work. Why bother? Why not just take the easier option?

There are plenty of times in life when you will have to take the harder option, but I don't know if this is one of them. It'd be different if I thought I was going to be there for the rest of my life!! But it if makes you feel like a tough guy, then knock yourself out.

It's the likes of you that makes it harder on other lads who have to do extra to cover you when you aren't able for it.

An office job would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

OP you need a new line of work

weemcd wrote: »

He's running out of lines. His CV is crammed with short term employments of every shape, size, form and description.

Finding one that suits is the problem. No starting at the bottom, nobody telling him what to do or how to do it, and no women in any positions of authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

He's running out of lines. His CV is crammed with short term employments of every shape, size, form and description.

Finding one that suits is the problem. No starting at the bottom, nobody telling him what to do or how to do it, and no women in any positions of authority.

And no-one asking him to get the milk at a funeral. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is OK for men to be asked to do the work, if women are asked to clean up afterwards.

weemcd wrote: »
    one where there is no physical work involved and in a place with no women and if there are women they must be non smokers and have perfect English.

should be easy enough find something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

There have always been “pansies”. This poster, posts from the point of view of a clueless yolk alright. Not sure if they’re serious or parody but it doesn’t really matter. There were always “pansies” and if there were a disaster, they young people would do the dirty work as always. Don’t worry you’ll wrinkley aul self.
    Are you ok pansie?

pinkyeye wrote: »
    And no-one asking him to get the milk at a funeral. :rolleyes:
    doesn't like getting milk and the tea pot might be to heavy so canteen work is out

doesn't like getting milk and the tea pot might be to heavy so canteen work is out

But he could have a level of control over the radio.

But he could have a level of control over the radio.
    with the title of radio controller . you might be on to something

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Assuming its not a parody, in general people do not give that much deep thought and attention to the amount of work they are doing in a job or maybe its more the way you are thinking about it even more so as it is not a long term or careers job.

The laziest person I evey worked with and it is a long time ago now, spend there life looking for a way of getting out of work, while being in work, they could spend 8 hours a day doing nothing. It is a very unattractive quality in anyone.

Everyone has off days, but spening your life looking for a handy number and feeling oppressed by being asked to work will make you unhappy as unless you win the lotto you have to work.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Are you ok pansie?

Yeah grandad. I’m grand.

Old boys always think young people are pansies. Your grandad thought your generation were pansies. Your generation calls mine pansies.

It’s just a way of telling when an old boy has lost touch with young people and can’t see any merit in them because he doesn’t actually know them anymore. Nothing new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Give women equality . Its what they want .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Yeah grandad. I’m grand.

Old boys always think young people are pansies. Your grandad thought your generation were pansies. Your generation calls mine pansies.

It’s just a way of telling when an old boy has lost touch with young people and can’t see any merit in them because he doesn’t actually know them anymore. Nothing new.

You need a good nights sleep to clear your head, I'm not as old as you believe but do you always make a song and dance over other peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

mariaalice wrote: »
    they could spend 8 hours a day doing nothing. It is a very unattractive quality in anyone.

That's just silly, getting paid to do nothing for 8 hours is far better than working hard doing boring work all day.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You need a good nights sleep to clear your head, I'm not as old as you believe but do you always make a song and dance over other peoples opinions.

Ah don’t be cross. You called a generation, pansies, because you’re too old to know anything about them. No point getting upset now.

Anyway, the 6:01 news will be along in a minute for old people who get their news from tv. Then a Horlick and bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blinding wrote: »
    The women and the Trans people age doing the fighting the next time . We men will be making the sandwiches this time .

Equality and all that .

If only.

Of course in reality they'd never pass physical training.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Reminds me of an article in the Guardian about making Construction more friendly to women.

One suggestion was lightening cement bags to 15kgs.

Top comment a fellow saying he didn't realise that carrying only one bag was an option never mind a lighter bag.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If only.

Of course in reality they'd never pass physical training.
    I’m telling ya , their getting the next one , its what equality is all about;);)

I’ll be rooting for them .

fat zombie wrote: »
    Ireland unlike Europe has been spared the horrors of war, this has led us to a situation where the herd needs to be culled.
    Many men walking the streets today carry DNA that would not have survived in a war torn continental Europe.
    More proof of there need to cull the herd, look at the state of Irish women versus the continental women! The men went of to war and died in great numbers, the women stayed at home, when war was over the returning men where outnumbered by the women in a big way, therefor the women had to compete for the attention of the few men.
    Irish women did not have to fight for the attention of the men, they let themselves go in a big way, thankfully in the last decades the continental woman have come to Ireland, and forced the Irish girls to raise their game.
    There still is a large problem of weak feeble men and slovenly women, a hard Brexit and a serious recession would go someway to fixing the problem.

My parents went to school with no shoes in the summer to save the leather wearing out for winter.

My mam drank from a jam jar as they couldn't afford cups.

Both left school at 12 and did hard labour all their lives for crap money. They were in no way unusual in rural ireland in the 1940s, 50s and 60s.

**** you and your weak genes **** pretty boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

By christ that are some right eejits here.

How many people here are lambasting the OP for not being a good little boy and jumping to when told to lift a load of 25kg boxes.

Why should he break his ar** lifting a load of boxes on his own ?
    What does he get out of it ?
    Possibly a sore back and fook all else.

Only a moron breaks their back for someone else.

It is about time the would be hard men who thinks they are going to look great busting their ass showing how strong they are copped on a bit.
    Just remember if you screw your back up then someone in that company is going to see you as a liability and want to get you out.
    And you have only one back.

In the long run you will be as well thanked for not breaking your back as the plebs who will.

I have been around the block long enough to be quite cynical about employers.
    And eventually a lot of you will come to the same conclusions.

jmayo wrote: »

How many people here are lambasting the OP for not being a good little boy and jumping to when told to lift a load of 25kg boxes.

It is about time the would be hard men who thinks they are going to look great busting their ass showing how strong they are copped on a bit.
    Just remember if you screw your back up then someone in that company is going to see you as a liability and want to get you out.

In the long run you will be as well thanked for not breaking your back as the plebs who will.

Good post .

Why do men do so much for women ? Its not as if they show any gratitude !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jmayo wrote: »

Well said, especially your last paragraph.

If I’m hired to do X job I’m expecting now all employees of the same job title be they male, female or whatever age to be the recipients of the same workloads as myself, same responsibilities as myself and the same required standards as myself . Got fed up in my last job of excuses being made for fùckers hiding behind computers all day who when it was queried...

“Ahhh you have to remember...she is a girl and doesn’t have quite the physicality as yourself”

“Sure isn’t she great at the admin side you have to play to her strengths”.

“Sure didn’t you hear her, spending the week chasing after the young fella at home would you not give her a break ?”

No.

Advertisement