Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I hope there is never a disaster or war because of the amount of pansies around nowadays, man the fcuk up.
    The women and the Trans people age doing the fighting the next time . We men will be making the sandwiches this time .

Equality and all that .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I hope there is never a disaster or war because of the amount of pansies around nowadays, man the fcuk up.

There have always been “pansies”. This poster, posts from the point of view of a clueless yolk alright. Not sure if they’re serious or parody but it doesn’t really matter. There were always “pansies” and if there were a disaster, they young people would do the dirty work as always. Don’t worry you’ll wrinkley aul self.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fat zombie

Ireland unlike Europe has been spared the horrors of war, this has led us to a situation where the herd needs to be culled.
    Many men walking the streets today carry DNA that would not have survived in a war torn continental Europe.
    More proof of there need to cull the herd, look at the state of Irish women versus the continental women! The men went of to war and died in great numbers, the women stayed at home, when war was over the returning men where outnumbered by the women in a big way, therefor the women had to compete for the attention of the few men.
    Irish women did not have to fight for the attention of the men, they let themselves go in a big way, thankfully in the last decades the continental woman have come to Ireland, and forced the Irish girls to raise their game.
    There still is a large problem of weak feeble men and slovenly women, a hard Brexit and a serious recession would go someway to fixing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

fat zombie wrote: »
    Ireland unlike Europe has been spared the horrors of war, this has led us to a situation where the herd needs to be culled.
    Many men walking the streets today carry DNA that would not have survived in a war torn continental Europe.
    More proof of there need to cull the herd, look at the state of Irish women versus the continental women! The men went of to war and died in great numbers, the women stayed at home, when war was over the returning men where outnumbered by the women in a big way, therefor the women had to compete for the attention of the few men.
    Irish women did not have to fight for the attention of the men, they let themselves go in a big way, thankfully in the last decades the continental woman have come to Ireland, and forced the Irish girls to raise their game.
    There still is a large problem of weak feeble men and slovenly women, a hard Brexit and a serious recession would go someway to fixing the problem.

Jaysis, the edge on that :eek:

Jaysis, the edge on that :eek:

Is true , so you can't debate it and just post a nothing comment

• Advertisement

What’s the point debating it? You think evolution happens in a single generation? If you’re so keen on culling the herd, volunteer yourself for scrutiny first. Would you be deemed “fit” for survival, do you think?

What’s the point debating it? You think evolution happens in a single generation? If you’re so keen on culling the herd, volunteer yourself for scrutiny first. Would you be deemed “fit” for survival, do you think?

1.90 metres
    85kg
    married
    3 children
    wife is a stay at home mum
    i earn good money
    thats what you will be measured against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Where is Anderas77 when we need him?

1.90 metres
    85kg
    married
    3 children
    i earn good money

Ah, we’ll be measured against you. That’s convenient for you. Well if you say so it must be true. Lol.

Lacks originality or any kind of wit.

3/10 and that's being kind.

• Advertisement

Lacks originality or any kind of wit.

3/10 and that's being kind.

Facts have no need to be witty

Facts have no need to be witty

Yawn, i'm out. Happy fishing.

Sitting in a office , staring at a screen all day, bored to death, getting fat.
    Outdoors, fresh air, invigorating work, keeping fit.
    The choice is yours

Sitting in a office , staring at a screen all day, bored to death, getting fat.
    Outdoors, fresh air, invigorating work, keeping fit.
    The choice is yours

Those are the only choices? Crikey.

Will you let us know before you start your cull or will it be a surprise?

The internet really is the best place for your delusions of grandeur. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

This is so wrong.

In war, the brave are the ones putting themselves at risk. The few very bravest sacrifice themselves for others.

If anything, somebody with a stronger sense of self preservation is more likely to find a way to keep themselves away from the frontlines and so survive.

Ireland's geographic isolation means we've been very lucky to avoid being sucked into major wars. I've never fought in a war, and never will, but I know a few who have. War isn't what you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In a job I had in the past I worked in a team of 6, 5 male and 1 female employees. The work was about 30% physical, 50% on your feet and active shall we say without being ‘physical’ and 20% stuck behind a PC and pretty responsible but handy enough...

The first girl in the department took to it like a duck to water, she had in the past done some modeling and with that ‘CV’ you might have expected through ignorance that she’d be shirking the less glamorous, physical side of things but she was good at all aspects of the job and always putting herself forward.

She left and was replaced by another girl from a different department... the new girl had a grand reputation, hard worker, fast learner and got on with everyone. Initially everything was grand but after a while we noticed her shirking the more physical non desk elements of the day..then she began almost to take over the office tasks and rarely to be seen ‘out front’...

I started to notice myself that I was becoming more tired and jaded, others were complaining too and eventually it was decided correctly that she just wasn’t pulling her weight and tasks were not being shared properly or responsibly...

Everyone looked forward to their day on the desk, as busy as it was, it was a rest physically from the ‘outside’ demands... you were busy, doing a very responsible job but warm and indoors in front of a PC...

In querying it we were told ‘ohhh you have to understand Amy is a girl and doesn’t have the same physicality as you lads’.

Our reply was ‘Amy is an employee, if she didn’t have the attributes to do her fair share she shouldn’t have been hired for this job’...

Not much changed however but it just goes to show an employee is an employee, equal pay...YES equal responsibility...YES equality in the workplace...TOTAL

Cubascuba wrote: »
    Would you describe yourself as masculine?

Do you know, the topic of masculinity came up in threads in the past and I asked what exactly posters mean when they use the term. The definition that they came up with, after a whole lot of cajoling, “ traits which appear more frequently in men”. I sh1 t you not.

But by most colloquial understandings of their term, then yes. I haven’t worried about my masculinity since I was a teenager.

Just for the craic, how would you define masculinity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

tjhook wrote: »
    This is so wrong.

In war, the brave are the ones putting themselves at risk. The few very bravest sacrifice themselves for others.

If anything, somebody with a stronger sense of self preservation is more likely to find a way to keep themselves away from the frontlines and so survive.
    You have watched too much hollywood movies
    The draft will pick you for service no matter how weak and feeble or strong you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

started with the boxes turns thread into war volunteers :rolleyes: usual AH day.

Factory work is beyond tough and most people dont care if you can or cant- production lines in many places are still mainly manual lifting 20-25kgs every couple minutes, thats why youll will see rarely any Irish doing factory jobs, as majority is all immigrants. Might sound one sided view, but reality is many places still operate on min wages, fast pace and they dont give a fck if one cant pull they will hire someone who can, and those who arent used to manual labour will quit most likely same day. Dont blame any people since takes a lot of BS taking and hard work to earn living for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, shells are very selective about who they fall on :rolleyes:
    thankfully in the last decades the continental woman have come to Ireland, and forced the Irish girls to raise their game.

If you're one of those adolescents who thinks plastic tits and fake tan is attractive, then great!

1.90 metres
    85kg
    married
    3 children
    i earn good money

Bro do you even lift?

At least you didn't say anything about your schlong* :) Like a baby making a fist, no doubt :pac:

* so this probably isn't yet another Flash / Pintman account. Needs some polish on the writing style and more sexual boasting and accounts of defecation.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Strumms wrote: »
    In querying it we were told ‘ohhh you have to understand Amy is a girl and doesn’t have the same physicality as you lads’.
    Did someone in HR say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭tjhook

You have watched too much hollywood movies
    The draft will pick you for service no matter how weak and feeble or strong you are

"The draft" has only been used by the USA in 5 wars - none since Vietnam AFAIK. And that's probably more than most other countries. The few lads I know who have fought weren't drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

If a job involves heavy lifting, then it involves heavy lifting, but if you and your colleagues are paid the same money and are working the same role....and some of them don't do the heavy manual work for whatever reason.....fear of heights, bad back, weak or being female etc.

Then all that should be noted down by you and used as a bargaining chip come pay review time.

A good manager will already be keenly aware of all of this, but no harm to spell it out all the same.

If pay reviews etc. are not ever going to be a consideration, then instead of sitting down on boxes and having a row with your supervisor you should just have just taken her aside for a quick word and pointed out the inequity of the setup and that you would like a bit of fair play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

If pay reviews etc. are not ever going to be a consideration, then instead of sitting down on boxes and having a row with your supervisor you should just have just taken her aside for a quick word and pointed out the inequity of the setup and that you would like a bit of fair play.
    That's easier said than done in a lot of cases. Especially in my case as she didn't like me (I mean prior to that), and she didn't even speak English that well.

You should try not to be insecure about your masculinity, I sense you get bothered by it, just accept yourself as you are.

Did you even read the response?

Just for the craic, how would you define masculinity?

tjhook wrote: »
    This is so wrong.

Ireland's geographic isolation means we've been very lucky to avoid being sucked into major wars. I've never fought in a war, and never will, but I know a few who have. War isn't what you think it is.

No war isn't like they show in Hollywood. They don't show the civilian tragedies, especially involving women and children. But as a former Marine who was in Desert Shield/Desert Storm. You go where your ordered to and complete the mission your handed regardless. Anyone who has a "strong sense of self preservation", would be prosecuted with derelict of duty or even desertion in the field of battle.

So you can't really compare that experience with someone who throws a tantrum over boxes.

Well off the top of my head I would say masculinity brings traits such as risk taking, directness, direct competitiveness, disagreeable, unconcerned with "people pleasing", strong frame ( this is why men are better comedians than women, they see through frames of groups more easily) breaking frame and comedy are closely linked.

I’d only be a medium on that scale. But obviously you won’t claim to have cornered all the important aspects of masculinity off the top of your head.

Also what’s frame? Is it a PUA term?

So chill, don't mind people trying to put you down.

I wouldn’t.

I also don’t necessarily subscribe to your, off the top of your head, definition of masculinity.

For me, masculinity is to always love and support your family and friends. To always be honest and helpful and work hard. Anything else is a stereotype.IMHO

• Advertisement

That's the spirit, be disagreeable. :D

How would you describe masculinity?

I don’t. It’s too complex for spunking off definitions on the internet.

Advertisement