Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's probably the women's call too!

A woman told you to get the milk.
    A woman was smoking while instructing you.
    A woman made fun of you playing the radio in the canteen.

It's quite clear that you have serious issues with any woman telling you what to do. I thought we had moved on from this attitude in this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think it's a problem of motivation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I knew a woman once, but she died soon afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it's a problem of motivation

Unfortunately so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There are people who don’t respect manual work or workers and who expect others to do things they wouldn’t do themselves, male and female.
    Those people are not to be respected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

In fairness to the OP, his boss called him over out of the blue and expected to throw probably about a quarter tonne of boxes at him (estimated 40 x heavy box). That's a bit ignorant if nothing else. In the 2nd example, 25kg is a heavy box. Bag of cement is 15kg. If there's any more than a few then it's a 2 man job. The tone of the post doesn't earn the OP any sympathy however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you injure yourself doing lifting you're not used to good luck getting any help or even paid after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I have lovely soft hands as I sit in front of a pc all day and if lifting is required at home that's what the landlord is for. I just want my cup of tea on the evening so I can't devote any time to the whole lifting thing, it's just not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Greyfox wrote: »
    I have lovely soft hands as I sit in front of a pc all day and if lifting is required at home that's what the landlord is for. I just want my cup of tea on the evening so I can't devote any time to the whole lifting thing, it's just not for me

Know thy self and to thine own self be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You seem to really rub people up the wrong way from what you say in your posts anyway. It does sound like they are being unfair toward you, especially your supervisor, but you dont seem to be dealing with the episodes of confrontation very well or maturely at all either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

wakka12 wrote: »
    You seem to really rub people up the wrong way from what you say in your posts anyway. It does sound like they are being unfair toward you, especially your supervisor, but you dont seem to be dealing with the episodes of confrontation very well or maturely at all either.

He is dealing with an amateur supervisor, who has fostered a fairly noxious working environment, as amateurs tend to do and he is struggling to stand up for himself in a manner that is effective for him...if this was a young woman who was being made to make the tea for everyone or expected to clean the kitchen the tone of this thread would be a little different also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

theres no problem op.

we lift the shyte, they look after the kids.

biceps and boobies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Aren’t women supposed to give you sex for doing physical work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

blinding wrote: »
    Aren’t women supposed to give you sex for doing physical work ?

Sexing women counts as physical work.
    How much more work must we do?? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sexing women counts as physical work.
    How much more work must we do?? :(
    No matter how much you do for them they always want more ;)

My Cocks wore down ;)

blinding wrote: »
    No matter how much you do for them they always want more ;)

My Cocks wore down ;)

Less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anecdotal bull**** coming right up.

Used to work in a sports store in Liffey Valley. Boxes of gear used to come in boxes that had to be carried upstairs. Not a single female carried those 20+ daily boxes up to the stockroom upstairs. Few females even worked in the stockroom other than the unboxing jobs.

Generally, the girls did the clothing lines, the guys did the footwear lines, the guys did the stockroom. There were occasional exceptions, but they were serious outliers.

All that being said, I don't really care. They got paid 77% less than I did so **** it.

They got paid 77% less

Too right.

You were doing all the foot work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

For the record I was taking the piss entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Being passed never ending boxes over a wall....sounds like a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

All that being said, I don't really care. They got paid 77% less than I did so **** it.
    But that's probably changed since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

He is dealing with an amateur supervisor, who has fostered a fairly noxious working environment, as amateurs tend to do and he is struggling to stand up for himself in a manner that is effective for him...if this was a young woman who was being made to make the tea for everyone or expected to clean the kitchen the tone of this thread would be a little different also!

True. Maybe his boss is a b itch in the same ways that some male bosses are c un with a missing letter.

But, you have to eat **** in a job unfortch and you should get it out of the way now. I never got the hang of not taking things personally or hating my job and I kind of wish I did.

Really, OP, eat **** as it will help you when you find a job you love. Just bottle up all those issues and anger and accept your paycheck.

Used to work in a sports store in Liffey Valley. Boxes of gear used to come in boxes that had to be carried upstairs. Not a single female carried those 20+ daily boxes up to the stockroom upstairs. Few females even worked in the stockroom other than the unboxing jobs.

Generally, the girls did the clothing lines, the guys did the footwear lines, the guys did the stockroom. There were occasional exceptions, but they were serious outliers.

Were they part time?

Oh, I have a quick story. I was working in a place where we got deliverys every few weeks and all the men folk were expected to empty a van. The ladies had a cup of tea and gawked at the men lifting. As in, you know, pent up style. I enjoyed it, but just an interesting situation.

And, the foreign manager was very happy to get stuck in, and the Irish manager actually didn't. Funnilly enough, I do remember the gawking becoming more extreme under the Irish manager.

Doesn't have any relation to anything, just an interesting memory.

Edit: Just another add to the op to just weather it. All jobs suck at some point, and just push through and turn your brain off tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What's the issue here? Men and women are not physically equal, men are generally a lot stronger than women. We get paid more for our stronger attributes in line with the benefits we have. The only issue is when women claim they deserve the same amount for less work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You mean 77% of what you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

For the record I was taking the piss entirely.

Scratch my question..lol

Sounds like somebody is struggling to understand it’s called work for a reason or they’re just a whining, lazy and emasculated wimp with no idea how to be a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Here we go again. Even a carton of milk was a problem.

manualhandlingguidelines2.jpg
    This is still definitely a thing. I see it in my work and even though there are countless campaigns emphasising health and safety and to "share the load" when lifting or transporting loads from one area to the other there is still a hidden inference that by actually asking for help, you are being a bit of a nuisance and are somehow less of a man for asking. Now for me to say that I have evidence to back it up as I have seen lots of guys roll their eyes when asked to help me and a little passive aggressive dig or joke along the lines of "Jaysus did you ever put your back into anything?" which I usually respond with "this place isn't worth putting your back OUT for!".

Of course this is just my workplace and experience, im sure all workplaces are different.

I'll always ask for help, because everyone doing this kind of work will have done their manual handling training and have seen the diagram that Adrian Future Cheesecake posted above. If you don't follow the training, you won't be covered if there's an accident.

I never like a layabout, even when asking for two-man lifts for loads either of us could throw around with no bother, because it's the company's choice. Sometimes I have to call in other crews and wait hours, but again, it's the company's choice - who am I to overrule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Looks like someone's boxing clever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They should realize that kind of work you need to be broken in to gradually etc.

Are you talking about sex work?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

God help him when he has a home and has to dig a garden, paint, do maintenance, move furniture do some work on his car and a million other tasks that require physically hard work.

Advertisement