Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also avoiding work and leaving it for someone else to do is lazy it's not being clever and yes it's going to affect peoples opinion of you and not in a good way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Women only get you to do that physical work to check out your bum action .

They see it as training for young bucks .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

mariaalice wrote: »
    God help him when he has a home and has to dig a garden, paint, do maintenance, move furniture do some work on his car and a million other tasks that require physically hard work.
    But that's different isn't it. At least in that case if I hurt myself, I wouldn't have to live with the memory that I was coerced into doing something that I didn't feel safe doing. At least I would know that no one else played a part in my decision. That is what makes all the difference in the world.

Also avoiding work and leaving it for someone else to do is lazy it's not being clever and yes it's going to affect peoples opinion of you and not in a good way.
    Yeah but I probably went home needing an hour less sleep that night than the other fella!

blinding wrote: »
    Women only get you to do that physical work to check out your bum action .
    Yeah well it never got me laid, so fcek that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not when it's a woman avoiding the work, it seems

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

You are not bucking your ar$e enough when you are lifting and don’t forget the guttural grunts .;)

Not when it's a woman avoiding the work, it seems

I would have as equally a poor opinion of a woman who avoided work and left it for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

By making the men do the lifting, that's exactly what they are doing

Life ain't always empty.

Also women don't tend to find lazy men attractive another motivation for not avoiding work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Not necessarily not being able for hard physical labor doesn't mean a man is soft.

I doubt Rees Moggs wouldn't last a min in a job requiring hard labor. I wouldn't call him soft.

He’s as soft as ****e.

Also women don't tend to find lazy men attractive another motivation for not avoiding work.
    It depends on the circumstances, but it's not as simple as you make it out. I would actually disagree with you... for a number of reasons. Women don't find it attractive to see a man being told what to do.

Secondly, it's not because I'm lazy, as you should have been able to gather from the post.

It depends on the circumstances, but it's not as simple as you make it out. I would actually disagree with you... for a number of reasons. Women don't find it attractive to see a man being told what to do.

Secondly, it's not because I'm lazy, as you should have been able to gather from the post.

You’re a bit of a whinger though.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You’re a bit of a whinger though.
    Still, women find it attractive when a man has the confidence to speak his mind! Since those are the thoughts on mind mine, I will often speak up.

Women find it attractive when a man has the confidence to speak his mind!

They don’t find whining attractive though.

They don’t find whining attractive though.
    Who said I was whining? Maybe the boards post looks like whinning, but it didn't look like I was whining in the factory those days.

It seems that what you call whining, I call standing up for myself. What looks attractive is that I couldn't be bothered putting myself at risk because I am high value. I'm not trying to prove anything. Besides, the ladies know I'm fit as fcuk when they see me with my shirt off anyway.

Who said I was whining? Maybe the boards post looks like whinning, but it didn't look like I was whining in the factory those days.

It seems that what you call whining, I call standing up for myself. What looks attractive is that I couldn't be bothered putting myself at risk because I am high value. I'm not trying to prove anything. Besides, the ladies know I'm fit as fcuk when they see me with my shirt off anyway.
    I’m saying you’re whining. You’re a whinger.

I am high value.

Your content isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

My job is about 95% physical, mucking stalls, training young horses, repairs around the property. I also work with 2 female students who are as thin as beanpoles, heh. But they do their work without asking for help, unless it's something very heavy. They will ask me for help but they never just sit back and expect me to do it myself. I have a lot of respect for them, whereas with the OP, can't say I do.

I’m saying you’re whining. You’re a whinger.
    I know what you're saying and you are wrong my friend.

• Advertisement

I know what you're saying and you are wrong my friend.

I don’t think I am, pal.

Anyway, next time you have to pick something up leave it to the men and you can make the tea for the boys in the canteen.

My job is about 95% physical, mucking stalls, training young horses, repairs around the property. I also work with 2 female students who are as thin as beanpoles, heh. But they do their work without asking for help, unless it's something very heavy. They will ask me for help but they never just sit back and expect me to do it myself. I have a lot of respect for them, whereas with the OP, can't say I do.
    Yeah, but what if the girls weren't pulling their weight? Would u just do it all yourself? You weren't in the same dilemma as me, so cut out your talk about respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Yeah, but what if the girls weren't pulling their weight? Would u just do it all yourself? You weren't in the same dilemma as me, so cut out your talk about respect.

I have done it myself for a time, then they hired the students so they could get experience. It shouldn't matter who does what as long as the work gets done. These students could probably work rings around you.

It shouldn't matter who does what as long as the work gets done.
    Well in my case the work did get done, so why does it matter if I didn't do the heavy lifting? Yet so say you don't have respect for me. You're contradicting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Op, how do you feel this thread has gone? Do you feel there’s a trend in the responses? What have you learned from asking the question?

Genuinely fascinated that you’re so surprised by the realities of working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well in my case the work did get done, so why does it matter if I didn't do the heavy lifting? Yet so say you don't have respect for me. You're contradicting yourself.

You certainly do a fair share of the heavy lifting when it comes to starting stupid threads about non issues.

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I don’t I am, pal.

Anyway, next time you have to pick something up leave it to the men and you can make the tea for the boys in the canteen.

That's not very woke Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What looks attractive is that I couldn't be bothered putting myself at risk because I am high value.
    Ah now, while I think people should go a bit easier on you (a point can be made without insults), just... no (that's if you're serious).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Am I right in picking up that this is the same poster that got offended because someone asked him to go for milk at a funeral??

If it is then it quite obviously an outright windup or a man with serious issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

With this thread I hope to highlight the situation that some men are put in with the expectations upon them to do the lifting, and how people may take for granted of them. The problem is that people will think a guy is a pussy if he takes caution or refuses to lift things, but I would actually say that sometimes it takes courage to refuse to lift.

One day in a factory where I worked, I was being passed heavy boxes over 4 foot wall. It wasn't in my usual line of work. I said I'd do a few, but then the boxes just kept coming and coming. Eventually I put my foot down and said to the supervisor "I need to know how many more of these boxes are due to come, and I might need help in lifting them". He was surprised that I said this and smiled at me. He said "yeah yeah, of course", and I called another guy from further up the line to come lift with me. I'm bloody glad I did ask for help because there were about another 40 boxes came!! It wasn't just the fact that it was badly planned, but the attitude of the supervisor when I spoke up. And I know it's very unlikely but any time a freak accident happens, it will be a guy that gets something like a finger chopped off.

Another time I remember when I was taking bacterial samples in a factory, once part I had to get to was up a high ladder. The lady showing the routine (first day) had to get another guy to go up there to show me the routine because she was "afraid of heights". When it came to asking someone to climb the ladder for her, there was this sudden change in her demeanor and she sort of acted like a little girl... like it was supposed to be cute that she couldn't be bothered putting herself at risk. She eventually said to a senior male colleague "can you get 'one of the lads' to go up there for me?". He replied "if you want me to go up the ladder, just ask". He had to bring me up and show me what to do.

Story about another manual Labor Dilemma I once faced

Another day at this factory I was working on a production line and part of the task involved lifting 25 kg boxes from a pallet and lifting them over to the conveyor line. There were about three people on each side of the production line, but the pallet of boxes was on one side of the conveyor. After a few minutes of work, the supervisor (female) came by and just said "two guys on this side". Seeing as I had been doing all the lifting work the previous day, I decided I'd stay where I was on the side that didn't involve lifting. Another poor guy on my side realised that I wasn't budging so he moved over instead of me. For the next hour I could tell that he was sort of looking over towards me with disgust at my laziness. You see if it were a male supervisor calling these same shots then at least I might feel that he'd have done years of lifting himself!

But the previous day when I had been doing all the heavy lifting, I had made sure that I was lifting correctly, and that I took my time. At one point in time I could see this supervisor staring at me. Maybe I'm surmising, but it was as if she was thinking to herself "would that lazy guy not go a bit faster?". When there was a bit of down time, I decided to sit on the boxes for about 30 seconds or so. Every now and then when I'd sit on the boxes I'd be aware that she could see, and I knew that I wouldn't get into trouble as long as I didn't do it right in front of her. But this day, I'd had enough of her nastiness towards me. I sat there until I knew she'd have to do something. She gave a gesture with here hands for me to get up, as if I was a dog almost. I just looked right at her. I got up in my own time... albeit only a few seconds later. But it was enough to piss her off. Straight away she walkie talkied to some manager, and then told me to report to him. I said to her that if that manager wants to speak to me, then he knows where I am. At this point she threw a complete tantrum.

Later she was gossiping about me to other Polish fork lift drivers that were passing by. I could tell by the way they were looking over at me. For about the next hour I was fearing when and if that manager was going to show up and see me, and what would happen if he did? He didn't show in the end! I'm not saying I got away with it, but that was all that happen that day.

I hope there is never a disaster or war because of the amount of pansies around nowadays, man the fcuk up.

Advertisement