Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I can't even recall watching the second and third films but I imagine some kind of reset was achieved.

Morpheus' role is an interesting one as well as I think I spotted him in agent gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Given how OTT the John Wick films continue to get, I'm sure John Wick will be moving missiles with his mind by John Wick 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Kinda encouraged by that trailer.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looks like it might be OK - more of a remake than anything. Hopefully not too many references to the sequels as nobody seems to remember much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

No Larry Fishburne no party.

Will still watch it, never seen the sequels in full so will try and squeeze em in before this releases.

• Advertisement

No Laurence Fishbourne. No Hugo weaving.

Looks like a generic steaming pile of Hollywood shite to me.

I only remember the annoying bits from the sequels. Monica Belucci's orgasm in a restaurant. That irritating fanboy teenager. The Neo/Trinity sex scene - which would have made a modicum of sense if they were stationed aboard different ships and hadn't seen each other in 6 weeks, but they were on the same ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I cant recall the 2 sequels as well as I'd like, but a couple of things stand out.

At the end of the trilogy, the oracle and the architect meet and chat at a park bench, and exchange pleasantries, confirming the matrix is still in place.

I cant recall if smith going rogue was unintended, and neo 'destroying' the simulation was to eradicate that. - Certainly the way his meatspace body was tenderly laid to rest in a 'christ' pose, would suggest that he was somewhat revered.

My theory is as follows:

This is Matrix 2.0, a software upgrade running the same simulation , with changes made to reflect current technology, etc. the reason the cast of supporting characters are broadly different, is because, their meatspace, vat dwelling bodies are different humans now - if you're using someone as a battery, they're going to die sometime. So this is 'a morpheus', just not the laurence fishburne one.

which begs the question - is / were Neo & Trinity ever real? or are they some sort of control layer / saviour mechanism that the Matrix employs to keep things in check.

Chances are, I'm way off, but I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing this, and it'll be an excuse to watch the first 3 films again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

3 things are guaranteed in life.....

Death....

Taxes....

People complaining about a movie being made in a franchise before its finished, those same people still going to view the movie when its released and those same people again complaining about the movie after they have gone to see a movie they didn't think should be made in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Didn't the exposition guy in the 2nd film state that Neo wasn't the first "The One", that there were already 6 or 7 of them or something like that?

Seems a small step from there to this being a new Neo that just follows a similar path to his predecessor. So not only multiple "The ones", but they were all "Neos" as well.

Although come to think of it, they did show that the Matrix Neo looked exactly like the real living and breathing Neo, recreating the matrix version is obvious but unless they are cloning then why would his physical body look the same?

And thats about the limit of thought that I am going to put into this.

• Advertisement

Morpheus: "Welcome to the real world"

What if the "real world" is actually, a sub layer of the Matrix, and Neo figures out how to break out of it to the real real world, where Trinity is still alive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nobody’s here talking about the most important detail in the trailer, which is Neo sitting in a bath with a rubber duck on his head like an absolute boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember when the first one came out, the Wachowskis said that the first one was part of a trilogy but it could have been anywhere in the timeline (ie, the other two prequesls or The Matrix was in the middle).

Obviously, when the first one was so successful, they were not going to get rid of the first film's cast and risk another group in the next films.

I mean, it looks fancy and all. I will reserve judgement and keep an open mind.

It definitely looks like The Matrix: The Next Gen. If it is successful, I would imagine a trilogy with Neo (at least) dying for good in the 2nd one

And what's this about there being a previous trilogy? No, there was only one movie......... ONE I tells ya...

You forgot the 4th and most important guaranteed thing in life.....

People who complain about people who complain.

| And what's this about there being a previous trilogy? No, there was only one movie......... ONE I tells ya...

I suppose it's a bit like Star Wars. There was talk of a prequel trilogy, but it never happened. Repeat after me, the prequel trilogy, did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Russian gangsters kill the duck, forcing John Neo back into the life of violence he thought he had left behind.

Decent trailer - didn't give too much away, good CGI, Jefferson Airplane. But the how and why we're back in the Matrix will be the thing for me. The whole thing. I see Clonakilty resident David Mitchell is on writing duty, so hopefully he's conjured up something worthwhile.

"I hear he totally reset a manufactured reality affecting almost the entire population of the world and restarted a war between a global AI nation and the sole free survivors of the human race. Care to explain why?

"Well, they stole his duck"

"..... Oh"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I actually want the matrix within a matrix to happen.

A big move to make as they would essentially be over writing the previous three movies - as what we were told was meant to be the real world. But the films universe can lend to that.

But judging from the trailer what's going on with what appears to be clones being made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

That's a duck sitting in a bath with a Neo on his ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Its a guaranteed cinema event for me... I've a whole heap of good memories based around The Matrix part one and 100% looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Matrix 2 and 3 were awful I don't see why they need a 4th film.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Liking the look of this. Hopefully they take everything in totally different direction in terms of tone, if not visuals.

@pixelburp wrote:

So I wonder what the damn plot in this is that The Matrix is still going, the agents still intervening. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of harmony established with humanity at the end of number 3?

@Stone Deaf 4evr wrote:

I cant recall if smith going rogue was unintended, and neo 'destroying' the simulation was to eradicate that.

@bucketybuck wrote:

Didn't the exposition guy in the 2nd film state that Neo wasn't the first "The One", that there were already 6 or 7 of them or something like that?

So to recap the ending very quickly, the overly wordy guy (The Architect) made it clear that Neo wasn't the first iteration of what had happened, he was 6th. But also that Neo was different from his predecessors. They all made a choice to save humanity by returning to the source. Where Neo-6 chose to save Trinity instead.

The purpose of Neo returning to the source would allow the machines to improve the code of the Matrix and make it less likely that humans would reject it and wake up. If he didn't do this, more and more humans would reject the Matrix, and everything comes crumbling down and humans and machines both go extinct.

Smith going rogue had not been intended at all, so Neo made a deal to go back in and face Smith in exchange for peace. Once Smith took over Neo in the matrix, the machines had access to delete his code, and reset the Matrix. But because Neo hadn't returned to the source, the Matrix code hadn't been updated, so humans would still reject the program. The agreement was that those who "wanted to leave" would be allowed to leave. Presumably a lot of effort was going into preventing people from waking up by themselves.

There was an online game which then expanded on what happened next; which I presume the movie will get into. Long story short, there was a kind of civil war inside the Matrix between humans who wanted to bring down the matrix, rogue machines who wanted to control it (like the Merovingian), and an alliance of humans & machines who were trying to maintain the truce.

The latter would be why there were still agents active inside the Matrix.

@The White Wolf wrote:

Morpheus' role is an interesting one as well as I think I spotted him in agent gear.

No Fishburne, means probably no Morpheus, though one of the young lads at the start of the trailer was doing a pretty good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So long as this isn't a Force Awakens mirror of the first movie, I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, the trailer doesn't really give me much hope.

Man trapped in an unfulfilling life is led out of it by a mysterious organization, and must uncover secrets hidden within the world and himself....

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

@seamus I can't really reply to that without giving something away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The second one was decent enough, but the third one was poor.

This looks like being a remake of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The trailer completely underwhelmed me, with the duck on his head exemplifying it. It was totally un-Matrix. Maybe I'm biased by thinking this film is completely unnecessary but it still bodes ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well.. it sure explains how all the action is gonna get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Looks like Smyth a bit when he looks in the Mirror. Clearly theres some of his "Virus" code still in him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its Keanu Reeves. He gets an automatic pass. The original was groundbreaking in its day on so many levels and still holds up today. The sequels..well the less said..

I'll defo be checking this one out.

Advertisement