Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin home of 1916 Rising leader demolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The house could easily have been preserved as a memorial or a museum to the rising and to one of the leaders of the 1916 rising, instead the foundations will soon be laid for €600,000+++ apartments that the vast majority of Irish people cannot afford... It will be yet another generic glass box that in the current economic climate will lay empty for years or be purchased as a temporary home for visiting executives who will use it as a serviced apartment...

The destruction of a site now erases part of the history of our country and replaces it with a tax break for overseas investment funds...

What a great country we have...nothing is sacred and no one will be punished for destroying this 100yr old house.

It would not be on any trail at all apart from those who know everything about the Rising. It was a private house, and I bet the heirs wanted it sold rather than having to maintain that wreck of a thing.

Heck, even the Rising itself is not high on the agenda anymore, maybe a little too much association with legitimate entities here or something?

I am being delicate in what I say as you can see. Will duck down now. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

How many gaffs have had a 1916 leader living in it. Probably hundreds. Sure keep them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It is gone now, forget about it. It was someone's house no more than that.
    Anyway better to spend money on that Moore Street dive that has so many associations with the Rising anyway. That place is a disgrace with cig smugglers, dodgy phone shops, and covers for many an issue. All bereft of Gardai and Customs too. Get down there quick!
    It's the spirit of the Rising.
    It would not be on any trail at all apart from those who know everything about the Rising. It was a private house, and I bet the heirs wanted it sold rather than having to maintain that wreck of a thing.
    Heck, even the Rising itself is not high on the agenda anymore, maybe a little too much association with legitimate entities here or something?
    I am being delicate in what I say as you can see. Will duck down now. LOL

You always stick your oar in with complete Ball Ox...

The fact is that the O’Rahilly’s family home in Dublin was where leaders of the Easter Rising held some of their secret meetings…Patrick Pearse, Éamon Martin, Eoin MacNeill, Michael Collins, Thomas MacDonagh, Éamonn Ceannt were all regular visitors.
    Now that it's been levelled it won't be on any tours of the history of 1916, and with the shambolic treatment of parts of Moore street it all amounts to cultural vandalism..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

thegills wrote: »
    How many gaffs have had a 1916 leader living in it. Probably hundreds. Sure keep them all.

Shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Steve012 wrote: »
    State could of bought it, rented apartments better in the long run I suppose, every ones a winner 👊🏼👀,

Dublin 2030, jungle of apartments funny at this stage that any Joe soap would want to p*ss their money away on rent paid to "hedge funds" non Irish owned rent box's

people want somewhere to live. Who gives a **** who owns the place once you have a roof over your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Some defining moments of a nation happened within it's walls but yeah, it's like saying what's the GPO only an auld post office.

apples and oranges there, it was a house, simple as that. ok it belonged to a person of "significance" but that person is long dead & gone god rest him. life moves on. if the family wanted to they could have maintained it. why should it fall on joe taxpayer to sink money into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The isn't some old house that used to be ownes by one of the ORahillys. It was owned by *the* orahilly

And it was owned by the O'Rahilly family after 1916, who decided they didnt want it at some point and sold it.

Its not even like its the house he was born and grew up in. He only lived there for 6 years.

The building should have been kept for posterity and historical significance.

are you willing to pay the costs associated with its keeping for posterity? not much historical significance really?

"The O'Rahilly", a self proclaimed mythical title he bestowed upon himself :cool:

id say if the man was alive now he's probably thinking look at these edjits debating over the ould kip i used to call home knock it down to fck & make way for others its no good to me

We have lost so much of our heritage in Dublin anyway now, that there is no point in complaining anymore.

The house is in a prime position. I would ask the heirs what they think first before complaining. Bet those who will benefit from the sale/demolition will not complain.

But I have no idea about who owned it/inherited it at all, so sorry if I have spoken out of turn.

Photos of this place are multitude. Sometimes things have to go. I doubt that anyone would have known or cared about it, apart from the few who were protesting and were interested in the history of the place. Does not always preserve things either.

why they cashed out & walked away with there money fair play to them, what right have they got to decide on its future? they had the opportunity & didnt take it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The O'Rahilly was a latecomer to the rising, I think he had car trouble, but he arrived just as it was ending. I always mixed him up with The Covey from the Plough and the Stars, even though the Covey was a fictional character. Suppose I was confused by the sharing the same name. The house thing is slightly irrelevant, the O'Rahilly is dead a good few years. I wonder is the car fixed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

The O'Rahilly was a latecomer to the rising, I think he had car trouble, but he arrived just as it was ending. I always mixed him up with The Covey from the Plough and the Stars, even though the Covey was a fictional character. Suppose I was confused by the sharing the same name. The house thing is slightly irrelevant, the O'Rahilly is dead a good few years. I wonder is the car fixed yet?

I don't think he shared Pearse's glorious sacrifice to inspire future generations thing and wasn't convinced of the viability of operational success for the plan.

Once things went in to full swing he got on board. And made the ultimate sacrifice.

His grandson was the maverick, swashbuckling Ronan O'Rahilly who sadly died a few months ago. Not sure if the property in question was in his branch of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The isn't some old house that used to be ownes by one of the ORahillys. It was owned by *the* orahilly
    I wonder how long after it was sold to close to €3million that someone tried to make it listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You always stick your oar in with complete Ball Ox...

The fact is that the O’Rahilly’s family home in Dublin was where leaders of the Easter Rising held some of their secret meetings…Patrick Pearse, Éamon Martin, Eoin MacNeill, Michael Collins, Thomas MacDonagh, Éamonn Ceannt were all regular visitors.
    Now that it's been levelled it won't be on any tours of the history of 1916, and with the shambolic treatment of parts of Moore street it all amounts to cultural vandalism..

Thank you for the compliment.

The reality is that this house would not feature much on the Rising Horizon, and the heirs have inherited, and good luck to them.

I wonder what you or others would do in the same situation. Leave it to rot or cash out your inheritance. Fair question I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im no mechanic but Im gonna say it was a write off

2016-01-07_iri_15731640_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He is certainly not being forgotten. Would investing several million euro into a up front and several 100k per year after that really have been good value for money?

People are responding to this as if he and/or the 1916 rising is somehow being airbrushed out of history. According to google, things named after him include:
    - Several streets around the country,
    - several plaques,
    - a bust,
    - several poems & songs,
    - a play,
    - 3 GAA clubs
    - a block of flats

Moore Street should absolutely be restored and turned into a central attraction as a focal point for the 1916 rising. This dilapidated house was not Moore St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

An Bord Pleanala members were shuttled to Luxemburg to admire the Boeing E-3 Sentry's. Is was noted if they removed all metal from their pockets thay would not show up on the planes radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

SC024 wrote: »
    are you willing to pay the costs associated with its keeping for posterity? not much historical significance really?
    Ah buh Joe, de Apple money can pay for it.

O Rahilly was a latecomer in so much as that Eoin MacNeill had sent him to the country to notify Volunteers leaders that there would be no activity on Easter Sunday. Mac Neill made the decision, rightly or wrongly, after the failure of the importation of German guns by Casement fearing the the Volunteers were not adequately armed. On O Rahilly's return to Dublin the Rising had just begun. O Rahilly went straight to the G.P.O. and played his part fully for the week until his death while covering the retreat from the G.P.O.

I think that a proper memorial to O Rahilly would be the implementation of measures to eliminate homelessness and never mind renovating a decrepit old building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Nexytus wrote: »
    The great life's works of Anne(hiding) happened in that particular building, that house.
    The O'Rahilly's great life's works happened in the GPO and the Moore Street area that they had a controlled retreat to before surrendering(and in Howth). The Ballsbridge house is just one of a number of houses that during the course of his private domestic life that he slept/eat/shat in. No historic or significant events whatsoever happened in that building. He may or may not have held an occasional snazzy dinner party there although history does not record such.

no idea why you are qouting me dude ..

• Advertisement

Im no mechanic but Im gonna say it was a write off

2016-01-07_iri_15731640_I1.JPG

bit of T-cut - that will buff out

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't think that's right. I don't think the Frank's owned that house at all.

Maybe you're right but it's not my recollection.

ok, maybe they did or didnt own it - but they did house themselves and OTHERS in it .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The house could easily have been preserved as a memorial or a museum to the rising and to one of the leaders of the 1916 rising

It would have been a terrible place for a memorial or museum, nobody would go there.

Far better places to have museums, starting with places where things of historical significance happened - perhaps Moore Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Better way of preserving our history would be to have the GPO as a museum for 1916 and the Customs House as one for the so-called famine.

Who uses the CH? Public servants?

The Bank of Ireland building on College Green should've been taken off them during the bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Better way of preserving our history would be to have the GPO as a museum for 1916 and the Customs House as one for the so-called famine.

Who uses the CH? Public servants?

The Bank of Ireland building on College Green should've been taken off them during the bailout.

You always need a large customs house near docks. As in times of war, other countries expect you to know exactly who it is getting on your mearchant ships. To fully comply with that you need to be able to see every boat captain regulary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Nope and now sadly I won't.

I'm sure if it was done up and open to the public many would have. I would have.

Yeah sure you would have

ok, maybe they did or didnt own it - but they did house themselves and OTHERS in it .

That happens a lot in Dublin too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

SC024 wrote: »

Why would I be paying for it?

It's gone now anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nexytus wrote: »
    An interesting character The O'Rahilly. Possibly his greatest achievement was getting people to use his name in the The_______ format.

Like The Donald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Typical Irish way, sell sell sell......

Look at all the towers along the east coast most in private hands, shocking to be honest.

We should be doing everything to keep our heritage but to be honest the way things are going we will be foreigners in our own country.....

Advertisement