Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So according to Micko Dublin can't be considered a great team until they hammer a team in an AI final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-allireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

Of course, he leaves out questions of standards in the game.
    And how the game has changed since the 1980's game management, possession and control etc.

But I think he does have a point to a certain extent.
    But I would say to Micko be careful what you wish for!

Dublin hammering Kerry in an AI final might not be far away...

If Kerry get there of course....
    I would be more afraid of Tipp!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So according to Micko Dublin can't be considered a great team until they hammer a team in an AI final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-allireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

Of course he leaves out questions of standards in the game and how the game has changed since the 1980's game management etc.

But I think he does have a point to a certain extent.
    But I would say to Micko be careful what you wish for!

A Kerry hammering in an AI might not be far away...

If Kerry get there of course....
    I would be more afraid of Tipp!

I think his point is well made to be honest. There was very very little between Dublin and Mayo in the last two all ireland finals - so if Dublin are a great team, are Mayo a great team also?

Compare them to say the Kilkenny team that won four in a row; the way that team absolutely destroyed Limerick in the final, and then Waterford the following year. Games that were both finished after 15 minutes. Dublin dont have that about them. Of course, to some extent it depends on the opposition....and Mayo are very strong, no doubt.

Ironically, his point is kind of beneficial to the Dubs. It runs against the notion that they are totally dominating the football scene (and that the game is suffering as a result), he is saying that that the very highest level, that Dublin havent dominated - that they have just gotten across the line when it comes to finals. And thats true.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Dublin's looping back and forward is effective because the man who gives off the ball (often Fenton) changes their line to hit/bump the covering defender leaving the now ball carrier with that extra bit of space. Hence the third man tackle comment. It happened 2/3 time an attack in the second half. Refs aren't pulling it, so why stop doing it.

It's what happened in the Crowley/Fenton incident, but Crowley is the wrong guy to bodycheck. Having said that, Crowley may have been on his feet and Fenton on the ground after but Crowley was gasping for air. Two tough men neither of whom were going to take a step back.

That’s absolutely rubbish, Fenton laid the ball off a good 3/4 yards and Crowley was miles behind the ball nowhere near his man and took a step further away from the ball and dropped the shoulder/elbow directly to Fentons open body. It was a cheap cowardly attempt to injure Fenton and Crowley was at the same stuff all day. Clear from the stand that he took the step off his line to take him out and even clearer on TV replays when watching back. Even the commentators called it a cheap shot, just short of a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hope none of ye are from TD, or ye'd be getting a good kick in the arse for your carry on.

Bloody joke shop stuff ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hope none of ye are from TD, or ye'd be getting a good kick in the arse for your carry on.

Bloody joke shop stuff ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thomas Davis PD ? .. whats the story there ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fairly farcical alright

Next meeting not until next Wednesday. I'd say the co board are saying rosaries we make the leage final now. Give them all some more breathing room. Muppetry of the highest order ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What is the basis of their objection to the new championship set up?

They've gotten their knickers in a twist about their grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

TD has won one 1st round game in last 3 years. If there good they will win B championship. Was looking forward to seeing new championship format especially for intermediate and junior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What is the basis of their objection to the new championship set up?

Because not in Senior A Championship. Gradings were done on teams performance in championship over last 5 years.

They've gotten their knickers in a twist about their grading.

I knew they had been one of teams put into 'B' - and about time as there have been some embarrassing results in previous structure, not just Davis but other former giants like Isles - but wasn't sure what grounds they think they have other than their league status.

These things should be sorted out quickly without becoming major legal cases, which it might if they go to court to get an injunction against the SFC going ahead. Will make DCB look like a joke if it goes on much further with possibility of no games before annual suspension for county team reasons.

One club being able to hold an entire county to ransom like this, is ridiculous. Whatever about the games not being played before the inter county break, the draws can't be done either, for both codes, so no one knows who they'll be playing, or what group they'll be in. Madness !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in fairness, I think the most of the country knows to separate a club from a county and in the case most particularly on Thomas Davisand their recent history.

I'm not understanding what they are opposing though? I get they are miffed that they arent Senior A, but how does the intermediate and junior teams being put to an all county league basis then mean they have no teams competing? Is it being pedantic over a rule or wording that is vague enough but every club in every county just gets on with things with no fuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Bit of a strange case even if they may technically be right on wording

I'm sure the Dublin County Board can give them sure assurances about representation and motions etc

Plenty of Counties Split Grades

In Cork we have Senior, Premier Intermediate, Intermediate A, Junior A, Junior B and C championships at County Level

In fact there is a proposal to now add another Junior grade so we would have Senior, Premier Intermediate, Intermediate A, Super Junior, Junior A, Junior B and C championships at County Level

Any reason why they are stopping second teams play Intermediate or Junior?

Probably a stupid question, but are Parnell passes okay for Sunday seen as Dublin are at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Probably a stupid question, but are Parnell passes okay for Sunday seen as Dublin are at home?

Nah BD, youre paying for everything other than regular league matches

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

bruschi wrote: »
    in fairness, I think the most of the country knows to separate a club from a county and in the case most particularly on Thomas Davisand their recent history.

I'm not understanding what they are opposing though? I get they are miffed that they arent Senior A, but how does the intermediate and junior teams being put to an all county league basis then mean they have no teams competing? Is it being pedantic over a rule or wording that is vague enough but every club in every county just gets on with things with no fuss?

From what I gather, they're claiming that they are no longer in any "proper" championship, and to that extent, they may be right. None of their teams would go on to represent their County if successful.

The Senior B should really just be called the Intermediate, that's what it seems to be, in reality. Downgrade every other code and duck for cover....

The B & C team / seperate Championship is a bit odd but I can see the merits in a County were you could have some very strong B,C etc teams dominating intermediate, junior clubs.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Nah BD, youre paying for everything other than regular league matches

Anyone got the number for Davis'? Might take this one to the DRC :)

• Advertisement

You have to get an actual ticket.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/senior-hurlers-to-face-tipp-in-parnell-park

PARlance wrote: »
    From what I gather, they're claiming that they are no longer in any "proper" championship, and to that extent, they may be right. None of their teams would go on to represent their County if successful.

The Senior B should really just be called the Intermediate, that's what it seems to be, in reality. Downgrade every other code and duck for cover....

The B & C team / seperate Championship is a bit odd but I can see the merits in a County were you could have some very strong B,C etc teams dominating intermediate, junior clubs.

There has been a SHC B championship in Dublin for a long time now, as there are in other counties.

That is generally accepted other than by jailhouse lawyers it would seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I don't want to tempt fate, but they might still take a court action!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Cuala in a bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

And out of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No Piarsagh are a physical team and this ref is letting them away with a lot of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Goal Cuala

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aint over yet!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

ET coming up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement